Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Team And Tactics For Replay

Rocky

Gray McGregor Fontaine Stevenson

Bartley

Humphrey Fyvie McGinn

Cummings Holt

I would introduce Humphry and get a bit of width and pace into the game. We need to pose more of a goal threat than we did in the first game. I would go with Holt instead of Graham for his physicality. If they start to knock the ball around we still need to be able to revert to the rough stuff and stop them playing. I think Fyvie has more dig about him than Keatings or Shinnie so i would play him or McGinn behind the front two
    Last edited by FC Leige; 21-02-2017 at 07:59 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough Coults1875's Avatar
    Agree with this! Only thing is that we haven't seen the Humphrey that turned up vs Dundee United. We need him to turn up on the night and we should rock their defense.

Same team as the first game only with Fontaine in for Forster.

Kill the game, shut it down, make it a scrap.

I'd be a bit quicker to get Boyle and Humphrey on though, taking the game to them in the last half hour if it is still 0-0.

Hughes had a decent game in the first leg but I don't think he'd fancy having Boyle running at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Coults1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree with this! Only thing is that we haven't seen the Humphrey that turned up vs Dundee United. We need him to turn up on the night and we should rock their defense.
    We will need everyone on top of their game

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I'd go for the Squirrel over Humphrey i think.

Some of their new players look decent but their defence looks suspect.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by FC Leige View Post
    Rocky

Bartley

Humphrey Fyvie McGinn

Cummings Holt

I would introduce Humphry and get a bit of width and pace into the game. We need to pose more of a goal threat than we did in the first game. I would go with Holt instead of Graham for his physicality. If they start to knock the ball around we still need to be able to revert to the rough stuff and stop them playing. I think Fyvie has more dig about him than Keatings or Shinnie so i would play him or McGinn behind the front two
    Judging by his after match rant, it wouldn't surprise me if Graham is playing and Cummings is on the bench.

Lennon singled out three players as getting pass marks, and referred to Jason as 'poor'

First Team Breakthrough Coults1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Judging by his after match rant, it wouldn't surprise me if Graham is playing and Cummings is on the bench.

Lennon singled out three players as getting pass marks, and referred to Jason as 'poor'
    I hope thats not the case!

If he starts an Edinburgh derby with Graham in ahead of Cummings he can GTF.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!

There is no way Lennon would leave our main goal threat sitting on the bench. I think the rant was more a kick up the arse than a serious threat to drop players.

His rant was to let them all know he wasn't happy and he wants to see a response in training, he'll have a better idea who has taken on board his rant.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jakesawers2008
    Rocky

Gray Daz Fountain Stevenson

Fyvie Bartley McGinn

Humphrey Cummings Boyle

4-3-3 with Bartley sitting.

Hearts full backs were poor especially the right back Struna and sowah on the left wasn't much better.

Give Humphrey and Boyle instructions to just run at them when ever they get the ball.

Coaching Staff
    There is no way Lennon would leave our main goal threat sitting on the bench. I think the rant was more a kick up the arse than a serious threat to drop players.
    I hope you are right.

Guess we'll see on Wednesday.

Rocky

Bartley

Humphrey Fyvie McGinn

Cummings Holt

That teams looks good, the only change for me would be Boyle for Humphrey to begin with as I always feel Boyle does his defensive duties as well as linking with Grey. Maybe bring Humphrey on later on when the game might open up and we are 2 ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

I'd be a bit quicker to get Boyle and Humphrey on though, taking the game to them in the last half hour if it is still 0-0.

Hughes had a decent game in the first leg but I don't think he'd fancy having Boyle running at him.
    same for me

i wouldnt go tinkering with the team. We know that we can match them man for man and will win our battles with the team we started with in the first game - are they up for the battle this time?

Change it at 60 mins if we're drawing/losing and get pace on the park

I think our biggest problem is that if we start games slowly it sets the tone for 90 minutes for us. We struggle to raise it after that.

Think we need to play a bit differently to Tynecastle, come out the traps quickly and give them something to think about.

If we start slowly and they get on top we could be in trouble imo. I don't want us to be chasing the game. They're not great but they are still a step up from the likes of Ayr and Raith.

Very hard to call since we have struggled to find the right attacking combination all season.
    The back four and midfield three pick themselves if Hanlon and McGeouch are missing again.
    Cummings is our main (only) goal threat, so must start.

That leaves two places up for grabs.

I don't think NL will risk both Humphrey and Boyle since they are erratic and maybe a bit lightweight. Maybe one of them and McGinn on the other flank.
    Shinnie is the only no.10 we have - Keatings just isn't up to that role but offers the best delivery from set-pieces.
    Keatings is more likely to stick away a chance than Holt or Graham but NL almost always favours a big man up top. Holt had a whale of a time roughing up the defence at Tynecastle, although he didn't look like scoring.
    It's a tough choice since none of these guys have delivered with any consistency.
    It's also tricky to predict how Hearts will line up since Cathro is chopping and changing a lot.
    One thing that is easier to foresee is another derby battle and for that reason I don't think the team will be much different from the first game.

Lennon said he picked a team and tactics because of the Tynecastle pitch, we'll be playing at ER with a surface which suits a passing game, get the ball on the deck and let Humphrey and Boyle run at Hearts with their pace, get past the defenders and get the ball in early to the box.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    It will play out like most other Edinburgh derby matches.

One team will pass it around the back four for a while, an opponent will then put some pressure on and the ball will be punted up field. The opposition will then take possession through either a foul or the ball going out of play. They will then pass it around at the back before punting it back down field the other way. This sequence will be repeated back and forth until one team win an attacking set piece and score a scrappy goal.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Totally agree was a little disappointed he wasnt given the last 10 in the first game especially when Keats took a knock around the 80th minute.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I think our biggest problem is that if we start games slowly it sets the tone for 90 minutes for us. We struggle to raise it after that.

Think we need to play a bit differently to Tynecastle, come out the traps quickly and give them something to think about.

If we start slowly and they get on top we could be in trouble imo. I don't want us to be chasing the game. They're not great but they are still a step up from the likes of Ayr and Raith.
    I agree to an extent in that that is the way many of our league games go. We expect to start strongly and if it doesn't happen, the fans quickly get agitated.

This game is a bit different - I think we know we may need to be patient. If we keep it tight then we've got a chance of getting the goal we need at any point.

I don't think we need to race out the blocks or be too gung-ho. Whether we like it or not Hearts are a bit better than we're used to playing and would have a better chance of picking us off.

Blog Entries
    Steady now with all this info. Cathro might stumble over it on his laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    It will play out like most other Edinburgh derby matches.

One team will pass it around the back four for a while, an opponent will then put some pressure on and the ball will be punted up field. The opposition will then take possession through either a foul or the ball going out of play. They will then pass it around at the back before punting it back down field the other way. This sequence will be repeated back and forth until one team win an attacking set piece and score a scrappy goal.
    As long as it's our scrappy goal I'll take the above all day long!!!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post

Thought Graham was poor heard Lennon's idea he had pass marks couldn't believe it. God forbid he starts

@hibs.net private member
    My inclination would be to play the same team as the first game with Fontaine coming in and possibly Shinnie for Keatings.

After the Dundee United game I was really looking forward to seeing Boyle and Humphreys but it just hasn't clicked for us since that game.

Hearts are most dangerous out wide and I don't think we can rely on those 2 contributing enough going forward given the inevitable spaces we'd leave at the back.

Also, Holt and Jason both have to start for me so can't really fit 2 wide players and both of them.

Keep it tight and as they are tiring later in the game bring on Boyle.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Marciano

Gray, McGregor, Fontaine, Stevenson

Fyvie, Bartley, McGinn

Boyle

Cummings
    Holt

Boyle switching between the wings.

I might think about dropping Fyvie and going with two wingers Humphreys and Boyle with McGinn and Bartley in the midfield. Keeper and back four pick themselves. Holt and Cummings upfront. 442 and really go for it. Big problem for us though is that if Cummings doesn't score who else can?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post

Even if we win?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    My inclination would be to play the same team as the first game with Fontaine coming in and possibly Shinnie for Keatings.

After the Dundee United game I was really looking forward to seeing Boyle and Humphreys but it just hasn't clicked for us since that game.

Hearts are most dangerous out wide and I don't think we can rely on those 2 contributing enough going forward given the inevitable spaces we'd leave at the back.

Also, Holt and Jason both have to start for me so can't really fit 2 wide players and both of them.

Keep it tight and as they are tiring later in the game bring on Boyle.
    Yeah, that's my thinking too.

The bit in bold though - you'd think so, but I saw Michael Stewart on Sportscene ripping into them for not playing with any width at the weekend. Highlighted a few times they had good opportunities to get the ball wide, to create something, but weren't even looking to do it.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    I might think about dropping Fyvie and going with two wingers Humphreys and Boyle with McGinn and Bartley in the midfield. Keeper and back four pick themselves. Holt and Cummings upfront. 442 and really go for it. Big problem for us though is that if Cummings doesn't score who else can?
    No danger should we drop Fyvie, not in my opinion anyway.

Think we'll be more solid with Fyvie, Bartley and McGinn in the midfield. I don't think Hearts are a very good team, they pumped a shambolic Rangers, then beat 10 men Motherwell, and that seems to have given Cathro a bit of leeway, considering he's had a very ropey start at them. But, as much as they're not a very good team, they do have some pretty good players, who are capable of doing things on their own. Walker, Nicholson and Djoum are good players. I think Fyvie, Bartley and McGinn can dominate though. Just Bartley and McGinn, wouldn't find it so easy, if those 3 are playing against them in the middle.

@hibs.net private member
    Tactics - shoot, make the keeper work and he'll give us assists.