hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lennon only said what we are all thinking

I can't believe that Lennon is being slated for what he said after the game yesterday. I am sure a lot of what he said, was also being said in the stands.

I agree with every word he said.

He sounded passionate, like he really cares, like the lack of effort from players really bothered him. I for one applaud that. If he wasn't annoyed, I would be concerned. If the players can't take that, it is about time they went somewhere that kind of performance is acceptable.

i manage people in the workplace and encouragement will only get you so far. If someone is consistently under performing, there comes a time that that is addressed with a disciplinary.

i would hope that what Lennon said after the match makes the players sit up, have a look in the mirror, and make sure they don't go in to another game thinking they can coast through it without putting in the hard work required.

P.S. I am not a Celtic Fan, as seems to be suggested every time someone on here sticks up for Lennon.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Good post
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Think the majority of fans are in support of his rant, similar views on the bounce as well

Testimonial Due
    Agreed, he has them week in and week out and he knows when they are at it. Part of being successful in sport is via self motivation or motivation from outside sources. Some players have great talent but never make it so Lennon is just doing is job and making sure everyone knows that we need to do better and perform to a top level always.

I wasnt thinking what he said, I was asking myself "what was the plan to score goals and win yestersay?" which really comes from the manager. There were absolutely zero tactics yesterday.

Think the main frustration about yesterday's performance/result (or lack off!) was that it was a great opportunity to put a massive gap between us and the rest and in time honoured Hibs fashion we didn't take it and take some of the pressure of the club (fans included by the way)

Really need to buck up our ideas for Dunfermline game - league is the priority for the club

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    I don't understand the folk that are comparing it with Butcher either, he flat out told players they were useless and would be shipped out ASAP.

This is a manager trying to light a fire under them and say I know you are good players but you need to raise your game. Sometimes just telling them that calmly will not work.

Our players for the last 3 years have had issues getting themselves through "lesser" games, last year was particularly bad with our Feb-April league form being truly awful. Lennon is getting on top of this right away and letting them know it's not acceptable to do it AGAIN.

This is the key point in the season, we NEED to win the games coming up in the league even if they aren't the big marquee games players want to be playing in, this is where they are and the only way they will get bigger games to play in is by winning the "lesser" ones this season.

Even last season Rangers weren't our problem it was everyone else.

Everyone can see that when our guys are up for it we are fantastic, but watching the last two league games you can tell some of the players aren't giving 100% especially with the hearts game inbetween as a comparison point.

Quote Originally Posted by Fifehibby74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think the main frustration about yesterday's performance/result (or lack off!) was that it was a great opportunity to put a massive gap between us and the rest and in time honoured Hibs fashion we didn't take it and take some of the pressure of the club (fans included by the way)

Really need to buck up our ideas for Dunfermline game - league is the priority for the club
    Spot on.

He'd have been slated if he had come out protecting the players after yesterday. For me he did the right thing and hopefully gives them the kick up the backside to push on and win this league as quickly as possible

Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    I don't understand the folk that are comparing it with Butcher either, he flat out told players they were useless and would be shipped out ASAP.

This is a manager trying to light a fire under them and say I know you are good players but you need to raise your game. Sometimes just telling them that calmly will not work.

Our players for the last 3 years have had issues getting themselves through "lesser" games, last year was particularly bad with our Feb-April league form being truly awful. Lennon is getting on top of this right away and letting them know it's not acceptable to do it AGAIN.

This is the key point in the season, we NEED to win the games coming up in the league even if they aren't the big marquee games players want to be playing in, this is where they are and the only way they will get bigger games to play in is by winning the "lesser" ones this season.

Everyone can see that when our guys are up for it we are fantastic, but watching the last two league games you can tell some of the players aren't giving 100% especially with the hearts game inbetween as a comparison point.
    Nailed it.

If we put the Hearts game(s) to one side for a moment, we're coming off two very poor performances in games against Ayr United at home and Raith Rovers away, a sequence of games over which we've dropped 4 points.

He thinks it is unacceptable and he has said so.

We've been done a huge favour by Dundee United's form dropping off a cliff in January.

If they'd kept their previous form going we'd be in a lot more trouble.

There is little margin for error in a season in which anything other than first place is unthinkable.

I think people are a bit taken aback because we're not used to hearing managers being so direct, but tbh I'm 100% behind him. I actually think our players ARE made of the right stuff and will respond to it in the right way which wasn't the case with Butcher's team.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I wasnt thinking what he said, I was asking myself "what was the plan to score goals and win yestersay?" which really comes from the manager. There were absolutely zero tactics yesterday.
    Maybe the failure of the players to carry out tactics is one of the reasons why Lennon is as upset as he is?

You are aware that teams don't just let Hibs play their own game aren't you? Raith set up to pack the midfield yesterday stopping us from playing through the middle. It might have been worth going 4231 or 433 but that's OK in retrospect.

Quote Originally Posted by bordergreen View Post
    I can't believe that Lennon is being slated for what he said after the game yesterday. I am sure a lot of what he said, was also being said in the stands.

He sounded passionate, like he really cares, like the lack of effort from players really bothered him. I for one applaud that. If he wasn't annoyed, I would be concerned. If the players can't take that, it is about time they went somewhere that kind of performance is acceptable.

i manage people in the workplace and encouragement will only get you so far. If someone is consistently under performing, there comes a time that that is addressed with a disciplinary.

i would hope that what Lennon said after the match makes the players sit up, have a look in the mirror, and make sure they don't go in to another game thinking they can coast through it without putting in the hard work required.

P.S. I am not a Celtic Fan, as seems to be suggested every time someone on here sticks up for Lennon.
    Can't find fault in a single word you write

Quote Originally Posted by col02 View Post
    You are aware that teams don't just let Hibs play their own game aren't you? Raith set up to pack the midfield yesterday stopping us from playing through the middle. It might have been worth going 4231 or 433 but that's OK in retrospect.
    Thanks mate, I am aware of that but it isn't really that simple is it.

''we've worked all week on the tactics for this match but Raith set up to stop us playing so we just folded''

I'm not buying that, our plan to score goals and win that game was nonexistent and it showed. The plan can't be all 22 players playing well and Hibs winning because our lads are better.

Thanks mate, I am aware of that but it isn't really that simple is it.

''we've worked all week on the tactics for this match but Raith set up to stop us playing so we just folded''

I'm not buying that, our plan to score goals and win that game was nonexistent and it showed. The plan can't be all 22 players playing well and Hibs winning because our lads are better.
    I'm sorry that was a wee bit condescending on my part - no offence intended. We're all frustrated at how hard a job Hibs are making of life in this league! The performance level I'm sure is a concern to fans and management alike. Hopefully a few good performances might be around the corner.

Are you seriously suggesting that the players and the coaching staff did not discuss, plan, or practice any tactics whatsoever in the week leading up to yesterday's game? "zero tactics".

100% correct.

There have been a fair few on here who have vented anger at poor performances and have been slagged off big time for having the temerity to dare to say anything against the current team in the last 2 or 3 years. With a few exceptions, mainly in so called bigger games against Premiership teams in Cup games and Jambos & The Rangers while they were in this league, we have struggled to find the right formula to consistently beat the so called lesser teams in the Championship on a regular basis.

We have the ability. We dominate games. Truth is, these lesser teams see us as the Old Firm equivalent team and raise their game to initially try to not get beat and ultimately engineer a win against us if possible.

I agree with NL. We can't just turn up at every game and go through the motions as if it's a foregone conclusion we'll win. We must fight for every victory. Doing so will get us in the habit and sub-consciously should make it "easier" for us. Won't be easy. Every game from now until the end of the season should be treated by the players as another 21st May 2016. That'll do it!! GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by col02 View Post
    I'm sorry that was a wee bit condescending on my part - no offence intended. We're all frustrated at how hard a job Hibs are making of life in this league! The performance level I'm sure is a concern to fans and management alike. Hopefully a few good performances might be around the corner.
    No worries mate, we all want the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Are you seriously suggesting that the players and the coaching staff did not discuss, plan, or practice any tactics whatsoever in the week leading up to yesterday's game? "zero tactics".
    I'm not suggesting that but somewhere between Lennon and his staff coming up with those tactics and them being executed something must've went wrong. We had Fyvie in a strange position on the right, McGinn getting the ball off the back 4 and being way too deep, a striker who is really only good at heading the ball into the goal but no one crossing to him. It was all very confusing.

I'm not suggesting that but somewhere between Lennon and his staff coming up with those tactics and them being executed something must've went wrong. We had Fyvie in a strange position on the right, McGinn getting the ball off the back 4 and being way too deep, a striker who is really only good at heading the ball into the goal but no one crossing to him. It was all very confusing.
    So it wasn't "zero tactics", it was more that the tactics didn't work. Or, they weren't executed correctly or well enough by the players possibly?

Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post

This 100%. yesterday, the first half in particular, was absolutely woeful, they didn't look up for it at all and that is not acceptable at this club. Many managers in the past, just because we didn't get beat, would have sugarcoated that. Its refreshing to have someone like Lennon who will not accept anything less than 100% from his players EVERY game, not just the bigger games like derbies.

To compare to Butcher is utterly laughable. As you say, Butcher absolutely shot to hell any morale, put all the players down, showed absolutely no confidence in them and basically said they were crap and out the door at the next opportunity. Lennon is frustrated at them because he knows they are far better than that. He is telling them to play the way they can play and the players will know themselves that yesterday was not good enough. I would far rather we had a manager that will take a harsh line with them and fire them up to do better than a manager who will mollycoddle them and let them think that performances like yesterday is ok. Lennon shares the same frustrations as us fans, we know what this team are capable of, its a good team hence why yesterday was so disappointing. If that was a standard performance level from this team then we would probably just be ok with a point. If Lennon believed that his players played their best today and gave 100% then he wouldn't be this angry.

Lennon has been at celtic where the fans expect them to win EVERY week and will get on your back if they get beat or have a bad day at the office so Lennon knows all about keeping players focused and making sure they never take their eye off the ball. Perhaps too many players yesterday with one eye on wednesday and seen this game as less important. Not a smart move if that is the case as a few may have just cost themselves a place in the starting 11 next week. We'll see, but needless to say Lennon has some big calls to make in regards to wednesdays team.
    Last edited by 21.05.2016; 19-02-2017 at 01:49 PM.

I'm positive that rant was aimed at getting a huge response for Wednesday. Hopefully it has the desired effect if so.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Maybe the failure of the players to carry out tactics is one of the reasons why Lennon is as upset as he is?
    Nah, he tells them to go out and play dreadfully, while ensuring they don't look like a goal threat mate 😝

@hibs.net private member

And when your staff do need a disciplinary, once you have done the bollocking in private, I presume you call everyone in the workplace and all your customers and your competitors and their customers in to tell them too. Make sure there is someone who can stick it in the media so that anyone that wasn't there can also hear about it. It might work but it is very high risk and can be as much about a manager who has ran out of ideas for motivation and is deflecting as it is about poor performance. Hopefully it works for Lennon and Hibs, I remain to be convinced it was a good move.

We all love Alan Stubbs and he will forever be a legend for winning the holy grail and rightly so. That said...he was extremely guilty of accepting mediocre performances from the team similar to yesterday and Ayr 2 weeks ago. Some on here are looking back on the Stubbs era thru Cup win tinted glasses and forgetting the likes of morton at home 0 3, 2 defeats away to Dumbarton, alloa and Raith etc...the list goes on. I also don't buy the concensus on here that the league is any easier this year than last year. A sub standard Huns have been replaced by a sub standard Dundee Utd...other than that we have the likes of Falkirk, Morton, QOS and Dunfermline (instead of part time alloa). Lennon in my view is 100% right to blast the players, he knows they are capable of much better...let's hope this now has the desired effect and we motor away with this league.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I vno problem with him being angry. I've no problem with him showing it. My problem is slating individual players publicly. That's for the dressing room. If he had to do it publicly it should have been a collective. I don't get why he has done the individual criticism in public full stop but baffles me why during a radio Clyde interview. Is he more familiar with the interviewer and let his guard down?

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I vno problem with him being angry. I've no problem with him showing it. My problem is slating individual players publicly. That's for the dressing room. If he had to do it publicly it should have been a collective. I don't get why he has done the individual criticism in public full stop but baffles me why during a radio Clyde interview. Is he more familiar with the interviewer and let his guard down?
    I wouldn't say he slated them tbh he said Jason scored a great free kick but done nothing in the game (correct) he said Mcginn was poor (correct) and fyvie (correct). He used them as examples of our under performance then highlighted pass marks went only to 3 players in the 1st hour, McGregor, Lewis and Graham. I don't see a problem - all 3 are big players for us who need to do more to drive us on...he is looking for leaders. If all 3 have anything about them...they should come out and bust a gut on weds to prove him wrong...that's the challenge he has laid down for them. Are they man enough??? That's the question

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I think it's blowing things out of proportion a bit to say he slated individual players. All he said is that they were poor in the game. Different story if he's coming out questioning this that and the next thing about them.

Noticeable the ones he dug out were our so called better players. I think it's basically his way of saying they need to be doing more, which they do. There has also been numerous occasions that he has praised individual players as well so I don't think it's a massive issue although I don't think he should make a habit of it.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    So it wasn't "zero tactics", it was more that the tactics didn't work. Or, they weren't executed correctly or well enough by the players possibly?
    Or Lennon doesn't do a whole lot of tactical stuff when it comes to offence? Since November we have scored more than 1 goal from open play once (Dundee United at home). That is a pretty poor stat in this league and I can't really say I've seen a clear plan to consistently score goals over the last few months. At least Stubbs team were missing chances.

Players can't take all the blame for yesterday.
    Last edited by MWHIBBIES; 19-02-2017 at 03:43 PM.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Straw man.