hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

Myth-busting? #62 the board never backs the manager

Levelled at the board and to be fair to Scott Lindsay after that final that shall. It be named he faced the music with the beginnings of LWT.

So he claimed that the board had backed managers whilst building up the infrastructure so what do you reckon?

Off top of my head...

JC
    - Benji & Zuma
    - Killen

Yogi
    - Stokes (hokey-cokey)
    - Liam Miller

Mixu
    - JJ

Fenlon
    - rrse

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Levelled at the board and to be fair to Scott Lindsay after that final that shall. It be named he faced the music with the beginnings of LWT.

So he claimed that the board had backed managers whilst building up the infrastructure so what do you reckon?

Off top of my head...

JC
    - Benji & Zuma
    - Killen

Yogi
    - Stokes (hokey-cokey)
    - Liam Miller

Mixu
    - JJ

Fenlon
    - rrse
    I don't think Collins signed any of them. Reckon they were all mowbray signings

Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    They were.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    At least Lindsay realised he got it wrong and left. The club was a shambles back then.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    They were but Collins was backed and signed a fair few players, unfortunately none turned out to be particularly outstanding. He then wanted the board to sign Hammill after he'd spent the allocated budget and was none to pleased when the request was knocked back if I recall.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post

Off top of my head...

JC
    - Benji & Zuma
    - Killen

Yogi
    - Stokes (hokey-cokey)
    - Liam Miller

Mixu
    - JJ

Fenlon
    - rrse
    How do you quantify backing? There were always murmurs that it wasn't the budget that was the problem but how managers were allowed to spend it. Effectively they weren't able to spend on quality over quantity due to an alleged wage ceiling.

Was also interesting listening to Carragher talking about the Leicester players the other week, and the rumours of their revolt. He didn't think there were any circumstances where a group of players should be able to go to chairman behind the managers back.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    At least Lindsay realised he got it wrong and left. The club was a shambles back then.
    Shame Petrie didn't have the integrity to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Said Frank View Post
    Shame Petrie didn't have the integrity to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    They were but Collins was backed and signed a fair few players, unfortunately none turned out to be particularly outstanding. He then wanted the board to sign Hammill after he'd spent the allocated budget and was none to pleased when the request was knocked back if I recall.
    Was it not Hammell, Naismith, Jamie Smith and one other on some sort of wishlist he had? Can't remember the 4th name, but at least we had a very very very credible and realistic 850k bid to get Naismith, allegedly.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    Was it not Hammell, Naismith, Jamie Smith and one other on some sort of wishlist he had? Can't remember the 4th name, but at least we had a very very very credible and realistic 850k bid to get Naismith, allegedly.
    Aye that rings a bell, think you're right about the Naismith bid being made but it wasn't accepted or Rangers came in with a higher bid. Sure Hammill was after that though as I seem to remember thinking it was weird claiming he wasn't being backed when they bid that for Naismith.

Not signing Adam Rooney for whatever reason was probably the worst mistake of all.
    Who knows how it may have changed things but I'm sure he could have got one goal in any of those many games that winning would have kept us up in.
    He now has over 50 goals for Aberdeen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    After Collins' summer spending spree, we didn't adequately back the manager until we were relegated and Dempster took charge.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    After Collins' summer spending spree, we didn't adequately back the manager until we were relegated and Dempster took charge.
    That's not really true. We had several managers who, instead of buying two or three quality players squandered their budget on far too many cheaper but inadequate signings. It infected the whole club with a sense of mediocrity.
    If anything the board were guilty of backing our managers long after their time was up. Take Petrie's backing of Calderwood for instance, it was naive at best, pigheaded and stubborn at worst.
    The exception for me was Mixu who I still believe was worth sticking with, he just arrived at us possibly a year two early in his career.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    That's not really true. We had several managers who, instead of buying two or three quality players squandered their budget on far too many cheaper but inadequate signings. It infected the whole club with a sense of mediocrity.
    If anything the board were guilty of backing our managers long after their time was up. Take Petrie's backing of Calderwood for instance, it was naive at best, pigheaded and stubborn at worst.
    The exception for me was Mixu who I still believe was worth sticking with, he just arrived at us possibly a year two early in his career.
    Mixu wasn't sacked though. He left by mutual consent following the abuse he got from the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Mixu wasn't sacked though. He left by mutual consent following the abuse he got from the fans.
    They all leave through mutual consent.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Not signing Adam Rooney for whatever reason was probably the worst mistake of all.
    Who knows how it may have changed things but I'm sure he could have got one goal in any of those many games that winning would have kept us up in.
    He now has over 50 goals for Aberdeen.

Was The Griffiths for £1mil just a rumour? if not that was the biggest mistake of the lot.

Thing with the Naismith bid was , should it have been accepted, what sort of wages were we going to offer?

Surely it was a non starter really when he must've been on about 8k+ at Rangers even without a EBT.

Left by mutual consent!
    I remember Douglas Cromb used to constantly back Alex Miller. Unfortunately he actually meant it

@hibs.net private member woodythehibee's Avatar
    We spent big money (in terms of Scottish football) on Makalambay, Alan O'Brien & James Collins. Presumably also spent money on guys like Heffernan as well as good wages too. De Graaf would have have been on decent money too.

I don't think the level of our spend was the problem.
    The problem was the structure of the club and the poor scouting of players. We have got better at that and we also make the best use of our assets by making our players the fittest they can be.
    I'm worried about the quality of this seasons signings but overall they have been better since Leeann and George Craig came in. We have had a far smaller turnover of player since then and the stability has been a lot better.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FC Leige View Post
    I remember Douglas Cromb used to constantly back Alex Miller. Unfortunately he actually meant it
    That would be Alex Miller who managed us through one of the worst periods off the pitch in our history and against the odds won one of our relatively few modern day trophies by knocking out the now defunct Glasgow rangers in the semi.

I watched a lot of miller's Hibs and it wasn't always pretty but he also made some signings the quality of which we wouldn't say no to now.

He was a far better manager than some of the dross who got us to where we are today and in my opinion deserves more respect than he sometimes gets. He continues to respect Hibs. Achieved more than most as well.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    That would be Alex Miller who managed us through one of the worst periods off the pitch in our history and against the odds won one of our relatively few modern day trophies by knocking out the now defunct Glasgow rangers in the semi.

I watched a lot of miller's Hibs and it wasn't always pretty but he also made some signings the quality of which we wouldn't say no to now.

He was a far better manager than some of the dross who got us to where we are today and in my opinion deserves more respect than he sometimes gets. He continues to respect Hibs. Achieved more than most as well.
    Alex Millers record as Hibs manager was
    9th
    6th
    5th
    7th
    9th
    5th
    7th
    5th
    3rd
    5th

Hardly a success.

9th
    6th
    5th
    7th
    9th
    5th
    7th
    5th
    3rd
    5th

Hardly a success.
    I'm not at all nostalgic for the Miller era (although some parts were pretty good), but it should be remembered that at the time Aberdeen & Dundee Utd., "the new firm", had good players/teams, Hearts under Mercer were already overspending and then there was always the OF. Meanwhile we had Duff/Gray then administration, etc. Even breaking into the top 5 wasn't bad.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    9th
    6th
    5th
    7th
    9th
    5th
    7th
    5th
    3rd
    5th

Hardly a success.

Where did I say he was a success?

I tend to view his spell as manager as a difficult one to manage through but it had highs and he got us through a terrible time. I don't think we should call his signing policy a disaster either given we had Murdo mcleod , Keith, and Budgie. There were bad decisions too but personally don't think we're always fair on a cup winning manager who won it with the team he put together.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

9th
    6th
    5th
    7th
    9th
    5th
    7th
    5th
    3rd
    5th

Hardly a success.

It really was a wasted decade (Skol Cup win aside).

Fans fault again then

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Fans fault again then
    I think in Mixu's case it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Where did I say he was a success?

I tend to view his spell as manager as a difficult one to manage through but it had highs and he got us through a terrible time. I don't think we should call his signing policy a disaster either given we had Murdo mcleod , Keith, and Budgie. There were bad decisions too but personally don't think we're always fair on a cup winning manager who won it with the team he put together.
    Any Hibs related events that Alex Miller has attended that I have been at has always seen him get a very good reception from the fans. Most recently when on the pitch for the Skol Cup 25th anniversary.

I think with hindsight most people can see he done a decent, if unspectacular, job in difficult circumstances. A cup win, another final and a couple of SC seni finals wasn't that bad all things considered.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Was it not more the case that ST sales were an absolute disaster?

I'll pretty much buy a ST to watch any Hibs team but I can't blame anyone who was wary about stumping up cash to watch Mixus brand of football. Let's be honest Mixus managerial has been a mixed bag and that Hibs team was horrible to watch, and not particularly effective results wise either.

In fairness to him he did inherit a bit of a shambles from John Collins and some of the personal stuff aimed at him, the 'fat Finn' and 'Mixup' being particular low-lights, was out of order.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Was it not more the case that ST sales were an absolute disaster?

I'll pretty much buy a ST to watch any Hibs team but I can't blame anyone who was wary about stumping up cash to watch Mixus brand of football. Let's be honest Mixus managerial has been a mixed bag and that Hibs team was horrible to watch, and not particularly effective results wise either.

In fairness to him he did inherit a bit of a shambles from John Collins and some of the personal stuff aimed at him, the 'fat Finn' and 'Mixup' being particular low-lights, was out of order.
    I agree with all of that, but a while later when Mixu was doing relatively well, there were plenty of people giving Petrie stick for emptying him, even though his parting really was 'mutual'.