hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

The colour maroon

For some reason I was struck more than ever before when watching yesterday's game just how awful a colour this is for a football kit. In years gone by, Hearts would soften its offensiveness by breaking it up with white shorts but these days they seem determined to flaunt its full hideousness with all-maroon kits. I've never liked football kits that are all one-colour, but all-maroon has got to be the worst example of this.

I know Hibs fans who chose to support the club solely on the basis of loving our kit and it's hard to imagine any neutral tuning into yesterday's action not instinctively siding with the side in green and white. In its purest form (green shirts with all-white sleeves and white shorts) ours has got to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing kits in football. Surely nobody ever chose to support Hearts because they liked their colours?

Almost as vile are those pale blue and maroon track suit tops the coaching staff wear. It must be the colour maroon that lends them their sickly look because I've never felt as repelled by, say, a West Ham or Villa kit which combine light blue and claret, rather than maroon.

2. Log in to remove the advert

They decided to introduce the 'unwashed' effect Jambo strip to detract from the manky stands.

It would still be a hideous strip but white shorts would be slightly better than the all maroon outfits that they parade as football strips. That and the Battenburg away strip. The designer must be a Hibby.

I'm going to regret this........

There is only one "major" team in the U.K. that plays in maroon-and-white. Anyone who knows anything about football knows that if you see someone in those colours, they are a yam (apologies to the Red Lichties). That, sickeningly, is actually pretty cool (quite an achievement for such a cool-evading outfit). It is a bowfin colour though, I agree!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm going to regret this........

There is only one "major" team in the U.K. that plays in maroon-and-white. Anyone who knows anything about football knows that if you see someone in those colours, they are a yam (apologies to the Red Lichties). That, sickeningly, is actually pretty cool (quite an achievement for such a cool-evading outfit). It is a bowfin colour though, I agree!
    It may be unique, but that doesn't make it cool.

To quote from Trainspotting..."Ugh...a spotty f***** in a Hearts scarf...yes, the c**** are at home today. Look at him; the ultimate anti-style statement. Ah'd rather see ma sister in a brothel than ma brother in a Hearts scarf, and that's f***** true."

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    It's a ****ing gantin' colour.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent!
    Just a darker shade of pink - bogging colour !

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    It's the big thick scarves that I hate, is it only me?

Maroon top and white shorts look ok but the whole maroon thing isn't good.

Maroon cars are for old people.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Not really a colour, it's what you get when you mix two actual colours, red and (Jobby) brown. And as one poster has already said, it's unique to them and long may it continue that way. They had a perfectly good chance to at least partially distance themselves from maroon by getting a half decent away strip. That went well.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    You're not alone.

But you have to remember that yam grannies have been knitting these things for them for decades now, to go with the cardigans. Even when they are in their fifties they are obviously still getting big itchy knitted scarves every birthday and Xmas.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Not really a colour, it's what you get when you mix two actual colours, red and (Jobby) brown. And as one poster has already said, it's unique to them and long may it continue that way. They had a perfectly good chance to at least partially distance themselves from maroon by getting a half decent away strip. That went well.
    Mrs Doubtfire seems to think it's the in colour. Old hag.

Surprised she didn't have a jobby colour fox around her neck at the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Was she the one that first mixed a dog turd and some tomato sauce together and discovered the thing we now know as maroon?

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    It certainly isn't the best, but I think there's worse: the amber of Motherwell is unusual but is horrible; and the tangerine of Dundee United is just too much.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I get dragged along to see Galway Utd when I'm over there, and the main reason for being less than enthusiastic is that they play in maroon.Their strips are truly horrible to look at. Don't have any souvenirs or club gear on the back if that. Maroon is the colour for whole county, but at least Connacht rugby play in green, so much easier to go and watch them with a bit more enthusiasm.

They made a depressing boring kit even more depressing and boring by wearing maroon shorts. No wonder their support is flat. Nothing inspiring about that mob whatsoever. They must envy our green and white. Really is a thing of beauty.
    Last edited by SirDavidsNapper; 13-02-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    It's the perfect color for them it's as close to jobby color as possible without being the full kaky brown.

A depressing color that defines the sad jambos fashion.

It's rank rotten and they know it deep down. But it fits well with the whole club. Gash strip , never known for sexy fitbaw. EVER ! They are the missionary of sexual positions and the Marks and Spencer Y-fronts of underwear. The worst part is...they're fine with it. Hibernian FC on the other hand........😉🇳🇬

Quote Originally Posted by gillythehibby View Post
    It's rank rotten and they know it deep down. But it fits well with the whole club. Gash strip , never known for sexy fitbaw. EVER ! They are the missionary of sexual positions and the Marks and Spencer Y-fronts of underwear. The worst part is...they're fine with it. Hibernian FC on the other hand........😉🇳🇬
    Reverse cowgirl and Calvin Kleins?

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post

Surprised she didn't have a jobby colour fox around her neck at the weekend.
    Always remember Al Murry the pub landlord saying in a chat show that he picked that colour for his jacket because its the most hideous colour ever.

I have never worn the colour, lets face it it's sh***

Quote Originally Posted by gillythehibby View Post
    I've heard this analogy before and I disagree with it. The missionary would be a functional yet uninspiring side, for example, Ross County.

Hearts would be the shame-filled knee trembler with one's sister in a toilet cubicle.

Its slightly less offensive with white shorts, but as a one colour kit ( which like the OP I dislike as a rule anyway ) its truly horrific, drab, depressing and sair on the eyes. That's one of the things about the Yams though, all that maroon paint everywhere an all maroon strip and a pitch that's more brown than green ...... what a depressing club.

Don't get me wrong ..... I don't hate maroon as a colour as such, but like anything that should be used sparingly when you over use it the results are terrible and wow do the Yams prove that point.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I've heard this analogy before and I disagree with it. The missionary would be a functional yet uninspiring side, for example, Ross County.

Hearts would be the shame-filled knee trembler with one's sister in a toilet cubicle.
    Hearts are the 'it's alright, it happens' of sexual performance. Especially with the new boy as boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan's Jaguar View Post
    Hearts are the 'it's alright, it happens' of sexual performance. Especially with the new boy as boss.
    Its ok

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Its ok
    I've been under a lot of stress lately

@hibs.net private member
    WHY do they even play in maroon? Didn't they used to play in all white?

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    disclaimer - the hearts strip is rank, looks rubbish, and sums them up.

i have to admit, however, that I quite like the colour maroon for clothes - it's more subdued than red, which I like, but is just a bit 'loud'. I have a maroon hoody, which i've actually worn to hibs games - with a hibs scarf of course - it's such a subdued colour that you don't notice it next to green and white.

for a football strip, however, it's gash - surely a strip is meant to stand out and express something? the reason i like wearing it is the very reason it's a crap football strip, and sums them up as a club - no flair, no expression.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    disclaimer - the hearts strip is rank, looks rubbish, and sums them up.

i have to admit, however, that I quite like the colour maroon for clothes - it's more subdued than red, which I like, but is just a bit 'loud'. I have a maroon hoody, which i've actually worn to hibs games - with a hibs scarf of course - it's such a subdued colour that you don't notice it next to green and white.

for a football strip, however, it's gash - surely a strip is meant to stand out and express something? the reason i like wearing it is the very reason it's a crap football strip, and sums them up as a club - no flair, no expression.
    Reported

Claret or burgundy, aye; maroon, never!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    It's the TWIRLING of them I despise - so '1950's girly hockey-fans' whose songs would invariably end in 'RAH-RAH-RAH' !!

@hibs.net private member Jim Herriot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greencore View Post
    WHY do they even play in maroon? Didn't they used to play in all white?
    Yes - 1873-76 according to http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scot...Midlothian.htm

The story about them playing in maroon due to their 1876-77 red/white/blue kits running in the wash is mentioned on a few sites - there doesn't seem to be definitive proof one way or the other.