hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changed Days

Changed Days

Can any of you remember being as confident against the sc*mbos as you are now?

If they beat Raith tonight, we will go to Tynecastle with all that arrogance they used to have whenever they played us.

There's a new air about us when it comes to playing them and I must say it feels bloody brilliant

2. Log in to remove the advert

I think we have a better team than them atm but i wont be going into the derby with the same arrogance as they once did as I know derbies aren't always down to who has the best team. They will be hell bent on revenge from last seasons hurt and embarrassment.

It is extremely telling though that they are nervous playing us. Drawing hibs in the past and even last season they were absolutely wetting themselves in excitement drawing us, especially at home. We would be hearing it loud how they were going to hammer us etc but now theres certainly a nervousness to them about it. Changed days indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we have a better team than them atm but i wont be going into the derby with the same arrogance as they once did as I know derbies aren't always down to who has the best team. They will be hell bent on revenge from last seasons hurt and embarrassment.

It is extremely telling though that they are nervous playing us. Drawing hibs in the past and even last season they were absolutely wetting themselves in excitement drawing us, especially at home. We would be hearing it loud how they were going to hammer us etc but now theres certainly a nervousness to them about it. Changed days indeed.
    This. I think we're more likely to win than they are but it's far from a foregone conclusion

But yeah it is absolutely hilarious to hear Hearts fans who are scared to face Hibs in a Scottish Cup tie

Rarely have I been delighted to her drawn at Crimecastle. We might still lose, but we won't roll over and get our tummies tickled come what may.

Coaching Staff
    So we should be, Hearts are awful - bring it on !

First Team Breakthrough
    I think we learned last season what it takes to win derbies as Kevin Thompson said about the replay in the dvd and just how much is required to win trophies in the final , we learned last season that everyone needs to give 100% and then some if its required to get over the line and I'm convinced we will succeed in the derby , we probably wont win the cup but I'm sure we have the right mentality to beat hearts , yes I've never been so confident since the seventies , bring it on

Left by mutual consent! WS Hibs's Avatar
    I for one am not remotely confident and can tell exactly where this is leading to. People (conveniently or otherwise) have decided to forget that Hearts were AWFUL against us in the first half at Tynecastle last season and still were 2-0 up. The comeback was so special because it hardly ever happens. We are not favourites, we must be prepared to outfight and hope for the best. I'd snap your arm off for a replay right now.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by WS Hibs View Post
    I for one am not remotely confident and can tell exactly where this is leading to. People (conveniently or otherwise) have decided to forget that Hearts were AWFUL against us in the first half at Tynecastle last season and still were 2-0 up. The comeback was so special because it hardly ever happens. We are not favourites, we must be prepared to outfight and hope for the best. I'd snap your arm off for a replay right now.
    Have you watched the last 8 derbies ? Hope I'm not sitting near you at the game - we've outplayed them in every one, hence Hearts fans are rightly concerned before every derby. Take a replay before a ball is kicked ?? Dearly deary me.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Have you watched the last 8 derbies ? Hope I'm not sitting near you at the game - we've outplayed them in every one, hence Hearts fans are rightly concerned before every derby. Take a replay before a ball is kicked ?? Dearly deary me.
    I think that's his point in a way, even when we outplay them they often find a way to kick us in the balls

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    It's a cup game and sometimes lesser teams can cause an upset, usually with the help of a referee and I have a feeling we will have the usual headwind in that respect. However, our superiority is clear, to them and us, and I think we will win this one convincingly.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    I think that's his point in a way, even when we outplay them they often find a way to kick us in the balls
    'Take a replay' ? Sorry, Hearts are terrible and they're there for the taking - our lads will be delighted it's Hearts !

Take a replay - jeez !

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    They have a big turnover in players. The incomers won't be Hearts minded and won't get the derby like last players. On Sunday I recognised three names in their starting 11. We have the edge for sure but as ever anything can and probably will happen.

@hibs.net private member RMQ1967's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Sauzee View Post
    Can any of you remember being as confident against the sc*mbos as you are now?

If they beat Raith tonight, we will go to Tynecastle with all that arrogance they used to have whenever they played us.

There's a new air about us when it comes to playing them and I must say it feels bloody brilliant

Like several others have noted, I don't need to think too far back to times when they seemed in utter disarray (15 point deduction, Malofee, the other old geezer who was in charge for half a season or so) and they still ended up with a more than respectable record against us. Only a fool would underestimate their ability to get a result against us especially with their luck in getting one in a million goals, dodgy penaltys, goals not awarded, 2 injury time goals and generally **** refereeing. I'm not worried but I won't be confident until we're 3 up with 5 mins to play.

Quote Originally Posted by RMQ1967 View Post
    Like several others have noted, I don't need to think too far back to times when they seemed in utter disarray (15 point deduction, Malofee, the other old geezer who was in charge for half a season or so) and they still ended up with a more than respectable record against us. Only a fool would underestimate their ability to get a result against us especially with their luck in getting one in a million goals, dodgy penaltys, goals not awarded, 2 injury time goals and generally **** refereeing. I'm not worried but I won't be confident until we're 3 up with 5 mins to play.
    Agree with this.

Hibs are playing well and Hearts are on a poor run of form, but that counts for nothing in a derby.

They got two penalties last night and will similarly try every trick in the book against us. Just watch our for Walker and his ilk diving at every opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    Maybe in the past. They haven't beat us for a while now though.

It's a game I'm certainly wary of, it wouldn't be a derby if I wasn't nervous. Take a replay before a ball is kicked though? Nope, I believe this team has more than enough to go to Tynecastle and win.

Must say I'm underwhelmed at most of the comments. We've been by far the better team in all of the games for the past 3 years.

We as the fans need to get the mentality changed if we want this run to continue. The players are confident and have every right to be. This squads not let us down in a derby yet. We have the better team. Simple as that. We need to reflect that in our attitudes.

If the majority of us go into this weary and with a negative energy it will affect the team and probably the outcome.

Times such as the relegation 'party' were the wrong time to be over confident I think. I knew on the day that'd bite us in the arse and the reason for that was our squad was *****e at the time.

But the squad now is one of the strongest we've had in terms of quality and depth for easily the past decade.

If we can't be confident and rub it in now then we might as well, as one poster said, 'hope for a replay'.

I know for a fact, regardless of being in the Premiership (which is a dull as f***) they'd be rather be us right now.

I'm going to enjoy the superiority while it lasts.

I look at their team and see some (not a lot) individually good players but then I look at our team and see a team. A settled squad with a defence packed with die hard Hibbys. A squad of winners who know what the derby means.
    I look at our midfield and see winners in every area.
    I look at our forward line and see an arrogant, talented and determined striker, a consummate professional in Grant Holt and a tricky wee guy with a point to prove against his former employers.
    I look at their manager, a bumbling, nervous Mr Bean type who's learning his trade.
    I look at our manager, a hardened, snarling winner who will delight in firing up our team against the bigoted rats who attacked him.

Quote Originally Posted by HFCdeb View Post
    I look at their team and see some (not a lot) individually good players but then I look at our team and see a team. A settled squad with a defence packed with die hard Hibbys. A squad of winners who know what the derby means.
    I look at our forward line and see an arrogant, talented and determined striker, a consummate professional in Grant Holt and a tricky wee guy with a point to prove against his former employers.
    I look at their manager, a bumbling, nervous Mr Bean type who's learning his trade.
    I look at our manager, a hardened, snarling winner who will delight in firing up our team against the bigoted rats who attacked him.
    I hit send before I'd finished.
    One off cup games are unpredictable and in this instance, I'd say there is no "favourite", but a derby always comes down to a fight and who wants it more. I believe our team and manager will definitely want it more. I believe the hearts fans also think this and that's why they're scared.
    Their current situation reeks of us a few years back except for the fact that the young players we developed actually went for good money:
    £1.5m for Whittaker (I think?)
    £4m for Brown
    £2m for Thomson
    £1m for Garry
    Those fees guaranteed financial stability while we took care of our stadium.
    Have they sold any of their "best youth players Scotland has ever seen" for anything of note?
    The Hearts fans I speak to are ok but they're quite thick, they bleat on about how their players "don't know what it means to play for Hearts". Sorry to break it to you, but neither did Rudi the Rat or any of the other players who won you your most recent cups. They were playing for the wage, not the jersey. You're paying sh*t wages now so you have sh*t players. It's not rocket science.
    Anyway, I can't wait to play them again. I'd love a replay back at Easter Road 💚

Quote Originally Posted by HFCdeb View Post

I mind the last time I was confident going into a derby.

We had just won the league cup and planned to parade it after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by wearethehibs View Post

You've not been confident going into a derby for ten years?

Quote Originally Posted by wearethehibs View Post

Level playing field now though. Anything can happen.

First Team Regular Salt N Sauzee's Avatar
    Always cautious about Derby's but I'm more excited about this one than I've ever been before.

Apart from the usual suspects (you know, the ones who are scared of their own shadow and won't be standing on the cracks in the pavement for the next fortnight or so "just in case") there's no reason not to be confident about getting through the tie.

History may be on their side but that's because charities and small businesses were subsidising their squad. Those days are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by RMQ1967 View Post

The annoying thing about that spell was we were not in much better shape ourselves. We now finally have settled team and experienced manager. They are a bit like how we were in the past. New young inexperienced managers, lots of new random signings and plenty reliance on youngsters.

Saying that though any game at that dump is tricky. We will need to be at the level we played against Utd to get through (thats was the game at ER not Tannadice!)

What we need now is them to get 2 royal pumpings from the old firm in the build up to our match.
    Last edited by Not In The Know; 26-01-2017 at 07:51 AM.

We should be confident given our recent derby record. I've no doubt we'll get through the tie, even if it takes a replay.

The saviles have just failed to beat a Raith Rovers side in horrendous form in three hours of football. They are brutal and their fans know it.

Hearts 1-4 Hibs You heard it here first! 😎👍🏼

Sorry, but I'm never, ever confident going into the derby and I really wish we hadn't drawn them, given the importance of focusing on promotion right now. It's not that I don't trust the players, or that I fear Hearts in any way for that matter - with our current squad and our recent record against premiership sides, the only team in Scotland I would "fear" right now is Celtic. However, the derby is the derby and there really is no accounting for what might happen. This fixture has bitten both sides on the backside unexpectedly in the past, often in situations where the odds were stacked far more in favour of one side than they are right now.

Quote Originally Posted by WS Hibs View Post
    I'm leaning more towards this unfortunately.

Someone else has mentioned that we need to have a change in mentality, they're not what they used to be etc etc. This is probably correct, it's definitely become part of the Hibs psyche over the past 15 years to dread derbies, justifiably I might add.

However, we are away, their fans/players will remember what happened last year and will be vying for blood. Cathro's job is probably on the line here as well (I'm serious.) If they go out again to us at this stage, there'll be riots at the PBS. Furthermore, even when we've been the better team, we've still struggled to win there. I'd say we're definitely not favourites.

Of all the teams to stop our defense of the Scottish, they'd obviously take massive delight in this - that's at the back of my mind as well.
    Last edited by Callyballybe; 26-01-2017 at 08:07 AM.