hibs.net Messageboard

Signings that didn't get your pulse racing but won you over

Thinking about the other thread re. Players who excited but failed to cut live up to expectations, what players were a bit 'meh' but won you over with good play, hard work, reliability or other?

Gary Smith - didn't excite me, but what a great signing, and great club servant

Ross Laidlaw - most fans seemed pretty underwhelmed, it he's done all he's been asked to do

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thinking about the other thread re. Players who excited but failed to cut live up to expectations, what players were a bit 'meh' but won you over with good play, hard work, reliability or other?

Gary Smith
    - didn't excite me, but what a great signing, and great club servant
    First name that springs to mind. I never fancied Gary at Aberdeen and while playing alongside Franck made life that bit easier for him at Hibs, he was mostly very good indeed for us.

Mixu is another, I thought he was a disastrous signing, just proves what I know.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Jim Leighton

Craig Brewster

Ivan

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    David Murphy. First time I watched him he was huffing and puffing all over the place and needed to lose a few pounds.

Best first touch I think I've ever seen.

Pat MacGinley,
    Jackie MacNamara

David Gray. Signed from Burton Albion so hardly one to get the pulses racing when he first joined but what a signing he's been!

Fyvie

McNamara or Ivan

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Akpo Sodje - not a world beater but scored goals.
    Alan Maybury - thought we'd signed Michael Hart mk. 2 but was still a decent player when required
    Brian Graham - scores goals, if not the most exciting player in the world
    Colin Nish - a limited player but played for the jersey and you can't deny him that

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Ally Macleod

Maybe a controversial one but Darren McGregor. Thought he was always a bit erratic the way he dived into challenges. In fact, even when he first joined I still thought he was a bit like that.

This season I can't think of a mistake he's made. He's been quality.

conrad logan

Mixu definitely, I thought he was well past it & would offer nothing - but was completely wrong.

Griffiths is another, didn't rate him at all at first, remember him involved in arguing with supporters & though you could see ability it didn't think he'd end up contributing what he did.

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Jackie macnamara.........turned out to be a great signing.
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

David Gray

Mikey Stewart -- was gutted when we signed him and thought we had signed a journey man , but some of his performances for us where top notch and always gave 119 percent , more recently has to be scott Allan , thought at the time we had signed a waster who wouldn't try a leg , how wrong could I have been. He put in some outstanding performances , I played in the centre of the park alongside Sean Welsh and lee currie in youth football and Sean was one of the best players I had ever seen. Yet Scott Allan was a great player

Quote Originally Posted by 21sMay View Post
    Mikey Stewart -- was gutted when we signed him and thought we had signed a journey man , but some of his performances for us where top notch and always gave 119 percent , more recently has to be scott Allan , thought at the time we had signed a waster who wouldn't try a leg , how wrong could I have been. He put in some outstanding performances , I played in the centre of the park alongside Sean Welsh and lee currie in youth football and Sean was one of the best players I had ever seen. Yet Scott Allan was a great player

Sean was outstanding at u19, still can't work out why it never worked out of him. Thought he was going all the way to the top

Sean was outstanding at u19, still can't work out why it never worked out of him. Thought he was going all the way to the top
    Injuries unfortunately ruined his career. Without injuries this guy would have been a regular Scottish international who we would have sold for Megabucks

Quote Originally Posted by 21sMay View Post
    Injuries unfortunately ruined his career. Without injuries this guy would have been a regular Scottish international who we would have sold for Megabucks

Yep, never seen a laddie with such natural talent and feel for it. Had a wee bit of the swagger and gallusness in him, real shame

Jackie Macnamara
    Mattie Jack

Yep, never seen a laddie with such natural talent and feel for it. Had a wee bit of the swagger and gallusness in him, real shame
    Totally agree , scored the winner in the Scottish cup for at around 14/15 year old , some team we had at the time. Just goes to show what injuries , woman and booze does to young guys as there where some great player in that team outwith sparky and Welshy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Ally Macleod
    Agreed, signed to replace the irreplaceable Alec Cropley so was always going to be a tough job. I remember his 1st game at Airdrie when he ambled about doing nothing, the complete antithesis of Crops. Turned out to be a great signing, great player & tremendous character.

.....Sol Bamba! Thought he was a total bomb scare (which he still was from time to time) but he really grew on me. Funnily enough.

David Gray is another, Ross Laidlaw and, to be honest, I was a bit "meh" (as some would put it) about Rob Jones signing from....Grimsby(?) but he turned out to be a legend.

Managerially-wise - Tony Mowbray. Unknown quantity at the time.
    Last edited by Bamba; 26-01-2017 at 04:10 PM.

Must be Mixu.

I had a wtf moment when he signed, but I think he's been the most important signing we've made in my time following Hibs.

Jim Leighton would be up there too.

I think Alan Maybury deserves a bit of credit too. He was clearly too old and a bit over the hill when he joined us but his attitude was always top notch, in spite of getting abuse for his former employment and for playing in some pretty dreadful teams. He put in some very decent performances and we couldn't have asked any more of him.