hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Court case v Coral

Saw on Twitter that someone has taken coral to court as they refused to pay out on a £100 bet for rangers to be relegated in 2012 at 2500/1.

What way would you judge the case?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Saw on Twitter that someone has taken coral to court as they refused to pay out on a £100 bet for rangers to be relegated in 2012 at 2500/1.

What way would you judge the case?
    In favour of Coral. The the's weren't forcibly descended into the fourth league. They were thrown oot the whole league system.

No way youd pay out. Should have worded the bet better.

I agree. They technically weren't relegated.

I would side with Coral, Rangers were not relegated they ceased to exist.

Testimonial Due
    Surprised it got this far but as before they weren't relegated so Coral win

Quote Originally Posted by BH Hibs View Post
    Surprised it got this far but as before they weren't relegated so Coral win
    Relegation means "the transfer of a sports team or player to a lower division of a league."

If the court rules Rangers are the same outfit, which going by FIFA, UEFA, SFA etc then it has to rule in the gentleman's favour.

Not relegated
    Chucked oot.

Rangers weren't relegated. They formed as a new club and had to start again. IMO lucky to even be aloud back into the professional leagues.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    Rangers weren't relegated. They formed as a new club and had to start again. IMO lucky to even be aloud back into the professional leagues.
    But according to Rangers they are the same club. Like other teams who remained the same club but cheated financially they got relegated. For me anything the rams the bookies is a good thing

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Relegation means "the transfer of a sports team or player to a lower division of a league."

If the court rules Rangers are the same outfit, which going by FIFA, UEFA, SFA etc then it has to rule in the gentleman's favour.

That is the dictionary definition of a team being chucked out of a league.

Will be interesting to see if Coral have defined it as something else in any of their regulations.

Or will Coral lose a huge base of hard core betters by saying the Rangers are a new club and upsetting the Govan hordes?

:)

Testimonial Due

Pretty sure the law courts will rule that Rangers went out of business then a new club were entered into league 2 in their place no matter what the SFA or anyone else thinks.

But will the Judge risk the wrath of his lodge by deciding that Rangers were liquidated and no longer exist? If he does then Coral's win.

If he announces that they are the same club, thus saving his windows from a tanning, then I think the punter should be paid.

Good summation of today's proceedings here.

https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Good summation of today's proceedings here.

https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman
    Thanks for posting and after reading the tweets I must say that I'm siding with Kinloch.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    But according to Rangers they are the same club. Like other teams who remained the same club but cheated financially they got relegated. For me anything the rams the bookies is a good thing
    According to Rangers they were also innocent victims after the cup final and all heroes who were just bravely trying to save their players from "brutal attacks" from hibs fans . . . .

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    Thanks for posting and after reading the tweets I must say that I'm siding with Kinloch.
    Me too, I'd love to see him win it. At the very least it's not at all clear from Coral and the fact they actually added to the slip 'from the SPL' but nothing else when they had a chance to be far clearer can't look good for them.

Could this case have unexpected significance?

i.e. I'm sure there are still ongoing wrangling, appeals etc over the "Big Tax Case".

Does the outcome of this case not basically fall down to whether or not The Rangers are a new club? If Coral win and the punter loses Rangers are a new club, can walk away from the big tax case but be mercilessly ribbed for ever more for being a new club.

On the other hand, should the wee guy win and Rangers are proven to be the same club and were "relegate", could that mean that any tax liability from the old club be passed onto Sevco (he says hopefully)?????????

One way or another there will be a legal precedent that can be referred to.

I'm sure the guy got Coral to check it a few times before placing the bet. I'd let him win.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Could this case have unexpected significance?

i.e. I'm sure there are still ongoing wrangling, appeals etc over the "Big Tax Case".

Does the outcome of this case not basically fall down to whether or not The Rangers are a new club? If Coral win and the punter loses Rangers are a new club, can walk away from the big tax case but be mercilessly ribbed for ever more for being a new club.

On the other hand, should the wee guy win and Rangers are proven to be the same club and were "relegate", could that mean that any tax liability from the old club be passed onto Sevco (he says hopefully)?????????

One way or another there will be a legal precedent that can be referred to.
    The BTC has nothing to do with the old club/new club debate. It's only concerned with the Oldco. Newco can't be directly affected by it.

If the slip says 'relegated' then the guy is on a loser.

Rangers 1872 were not relegated they went out of business and ceased to exist as the football club who were playing in the SPL. The new club formed after that event and who bought the assets of the defunct club were 'admitted' to the lowest level of Scottish professional football as existed at that time, they were not 'relegated' to it. The club the guy put the bet on was never relegated so how can he win his bet?

If this is a legal question then surely the fact that followers of the old Rangers, the SFA or the Daily Record see the two incarnations of the club as one and the same is immaterial, that's based on emotion not cold hard facts. The fact is that the club mentioned in the bet ceased to exist and were replaced by a new club, they were never relegated either as the result of on field failure nor as a result of being wound up. Coral win.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    If the slip says 'relegated' then the guy is on a loser.

Rangers 1872 were not relegated they went out of business and ceased to exist as the football club who were playing in the SPL. The new club formed after that event and who bought the assets of the defunct club were 'admitted' to the lowest level of Scottish professional football as existed at that time, they were not 'relegated' to it. The club the guy put the bet on was never relegated so how can he win his bet?

If this is a legal question then surely the fact that followers of the old Rangers, the SFA or the Daily Record see the two incarnations of the club as one and the same is immaterial, that's based on emotion not cold hard facts. The fact is that the club mentioned in the bet ceased to exist and were replaced by a new club, they were never relegated either as the result of on field failure nor as a result of being wound up. Coral win.
    The only fact is that the "facts" of "new club/old club" have never been established. Everybody has an opinion on the situation, but until the Courts rule on the matter, the debate will continue.

Coral are a bunch of bandits.

Hope they have to pay out

Not relegated as they ceased to exist and a tribute act was granted permission to join Scottish football.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    It doesn't matter if they are the same club or not they weren't relegated., and what a ridiculous waste of court time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDavidofGray View Post
    It doesn't matter if they are the same club or not they weren't relegated., and what a ridiculous waste of court time and money.
    If they are indeed ruled to be the same club then they were relegated.

Left by mutual consent!
    If they are indeed ruled to be the same club then they were relegated.
    If you place a bet on a team being relegated it is based on them being relegated by points and to the division below, I can't see how he can win this bet.

I was always under the assumption NO BET could be challenged in court anyway and the bookies word was final

Left by mutual consent! Col_0762's Avatar
    Not sure how to post a pic on phone but on twitter there is a screen shot of the coral website before the first Celtic/Rangers match this season where they state it's the first since their "relegation", so it seems coral can't make their mind up, unless trying to doge paying out. Not sure how they can not pay out if they state theirselves that they were relegated. If it wasn't for that then coral win as they weren't relegated, they were tossed out. But they've shot theirself in the foot here maybe.

I can't remember from the time, but were another team relegated the same season? Or did rangers leaving mean there was no relegation?

Left by mutual consent! Col_0762's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    I can't remember from the time, but were another team relegated the same season? Or did rangers leaving mean there was no relegation?
    Dunfermline. Was between us and them mind.