hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2. Log in to remove the advert

We aren't the only club interested in him and we have had a few trialists in and none to daye have impressed enough to sign
    Assume we will let Eardsley go as he has hardly played for first team since we signed and has had a few injuries as well

Left by mutual consent!
    God help him if he's a better option than Stevenson. One mistake and the hate squad will be out on force

Feel sorry for our young left back "cover" for Stevenson who clearly gets overlooked. He had a very impressive game in my opinion against Birmingham. Won't be surprised to see him being shown the door then turning out to be a great prospect for his next club if given regular games.. What would I know being just a Hib's supporter.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by banarc7062 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Feel sorry for our young left back "cover" for Stevenson who clearly gets overlooked. He had a very impressive game in my opinion against Birmingham. Won't be surprised to see him being shown the door then turning out to be a great prospect for his next club if given regular games.. What would I know being just a Hib's supporter.
    There's a bit of an obsession at the minute about thinking young players are being badly treated. They are at a very big club, they have decent and experienced players ahead of them and it's an important season where we are in a neck and neck title race.

I'm sure they can do well when called upon but they need to be ready to put performances together week on week. When they are better options than what we have they will play.

This subject has been done to death. Can you provide a list of the potentially great youngsters who we have let go are currently doing great things with other clubs? On a par with Jason Cummngs for example?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    There's a bit of an obsession at the minute about thinking young players are being badly treated. They are at a very big club, they have decent and experienced players ahead of them and it's an important season where we are in a neck and neck title race.

I'm sure they can do well when called upon but they need to be ready to put performances together week on week. When they are better options than what we have they will play.
    When we go up next season?

The first thing we will need is good back up, not untried young players, and if they do not get a game in the Championship do we try and blood them in the Premiership?

This is the League to be trying out at least some of our youngsters maybe 1 per game, as reading on here we could use anyone some weeks as this player or that player was crap!

Against Raith Rovers it was Shinnie's turn!

Bringing in new players is a must, and so is blooding our youngsters, as they are the life blood of any team.

You shouldn't be.At the AGM Lennon was asked specifically about Crane and was quite candid ,saying that when the opportunity presented itself Crane wasn't showing in training.That's just as it should be.

I've been saying for a while young Crane should get a run in the team. Obviously NL doesn't see him as a player or he would be in the 1st team ahead of LS, it's also well documented teams have tried to get him on loan and have been told "no". The player himself asked to go out on loan after being overlooked when LS was banned and told "no". He's just signed a new 1 year extension and Hibs bring a new guy on trial. So if the club sign a new left back where does that leave Crane. He'll soon be to old to play for the 20s. The championship is where these young guys should be getting a chance to play because it's obvious certain 1st team players aren't up to much judging by the comments I read on here every Saturday.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

The real problem is the U20 league. It's 17, 18 and 19 year olds that generally play there.

The step up from that level to full professional is huge. In the so called dark and dismal past we had reserve teams occupied by players who were just below 1st team level. Below that were various youth set ups. There's not enough money to run with this set up any more we are told. Younger ones wouldn't need to be sent out on loan so much if there was a middle tier. Obviously you couldn't play all of the young ones at the same time in a reserve side. That would bring us back to where we are now.

As it is, it's too much of a gamble playing young ones 'just to see if they're good enough'.

I'm just happy we are looking at strengthening that particular position.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    When we go up next season?

The first thing we will need is good back up, not untried young players, and if they do not get a game in the Championship do we try and blood them in the Premiership?

This is the League to be trying out at least some of our youngsters maybe 1 per game, as reading on here we could use anyone some weeks as this player or that player was crap!

Against Raith Rovers it was Shinnie's turn!

Bringing in new players is a must, and so is blooding our youngsters, as they are the life blood of any team.
    Why would we have a worse squad when we go up?

If Robson is better than Stevenson, and/or Crane, get him in. If not, then don't bother. It's a simple as that. I like Stevenson and I hope Crane makes it, but we can't fanny about at the moment. We need to be up, and to guarantee that, we need to be improving the team.

If this guy can put in a tackle, hit the byline at pace, and whip in dangerous balls, then get him signed.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    This subject has been done to death. Can you provide a list of the potentially great youngsters who we have let go are currently doing great things with other clubs? On a par with Jason Cummngs for example?
    Callum Booth - playing at a higher level and playing well. Scored in his last game.

Sean Welsh - Captain at a club in a higher league than ourselves and has a great number of assists this season and chipped in with a few goals too.

David Wotherspoon - again playing at a higher level and is a key player for his team.

Kleton Perntreou - released by hibs then got a move to the English premiership

Jordan McGregor - again released by hibs but then made the jump back to the Scottish premiership. Is highly rated at accies. Not sure if he has played though.

That's a few that I can think of at the top of my head that have found a higher level after being told they weren't good enough here.

TBH though I'd only really have Booth back from that list. But it's still some players.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    If Robson is better than Stevenson, and/or Crane, get him in. If not, then don't bother. It's a simple as that. I like Stevenson and I hope Crane makes it, but we can't fanny about at the moment. We need to be up, and to guarantee that, we need to be improving the team. If this guy can put in a tackle, hit the byline at pace, and whip in dangerous balls, then get him signed.
    Spot on

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If we have the limited budget available this window we are said to have, IMO bringing a left back is utter madness.

We have a very good left back in Lewis and a deputy who I am told is also very good, possibly even better.

Its not as if our left back is asked to defend much.

A blind man could tell you that the problems are with our forwards / lack of penetration / width, as our much maligned midfield shorn of Fyvie & McGinn still managed to create a good few chances on Saturday.

This boy might be very good but all our resources this season must be directed to getting up, we can worry about next season then.

Having 3 left backs and others who can fill in if required would be utter madness IMO ivo the budget limitations we have

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    If we have the limited budget available this window we are said to have, IMO bringing a left back is utter madness.

We have a very good left back in Lewis and a deputy who I am told is also very good, possibly even better.

Its not as if our left back is asked to defend much.

A blind man could tell you that the problems are with our forwards / lack of penetration / width, as our much maligned midfield shorn of Fyvie & McGinn still managed to create a good few chances on Saturday.

This boy might be very good but all our resources this season must be directed to getting up, we can worry about next season then.

Having 3 left backs and others who can fill in if required would be utter madness IMO ivo the budget limitations we have
    Our very good left back (half decent) is not a great wing back, the position he is often playing highlights his pish poor distribution. If that role can be improved I am all for it.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    Callum Booth - playing at a higher level and playing well. Scored in his last game.

Sean Welsh - Captain at a club in a higher league than ourselves and has a great number of assists this season and chipped in with a few goals too.

David Wotherspoon - again playing at a higher level and is a key player for his team.

Jordan McGregor - again released by hibs but then made the jump back to the Scottish premiership. Is highly rated at accies. Not sure if he has played though.

That's a few that I can think of at the top of my head that have found a higher level after being told they weren't good enough here.

TBH though I'd only really have Booth back from that list. But it's still some players.
    Hit the bar the week before and also had a legit goal disallowed (IIRC) the week before that.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Our very good left back (half decent) is not a great wing back, the position he is often playing highlights his pish poor distribution. If that role can be improved I am all for it.
    With a limitless budget so would I be as I would be with any other position in the team, but the budget isn't limitless and I think could be better spent elsewhere.

Lewis is IMO a very good left back certainly at SPL & Championship level, I have never seen him get a real roasting, I would agree he is a far less able wing back.

If we are changing him, why not change Gray where there is no adequate cover and who is IMO no better from a distribution point of view.

Playing 3 5 2 doesn't IMO work in the packed defences of the Championship where most teams come to ER and sit camped on the edge of their own box.

There just isn't the space to get crosses in without trying to beat your man and that isn't either Gray or Stevenson's forte.

I would prefer we spent the budget on more forward thinking players and left the full backs to primarily defend.

Jobs for which they are IMO both better suited than playing as wingbacks

That says it all! So really just two players who are doing not too bad at Partick? Now would you like to name all the other ones who left and have never been heard of since? Football works like that and we are no different from any other team imo, otherwise we do a Chelsea and have 40 young players out on loan.

Just now all that matters is if we can get players into our first team who improve what we have and I dont mind where they come from.

Fwiw I think our current system will help to develop good players, but whether they make it to first team standard in future remains to be seen. No one knows until it happens.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    With a limitless budget so would I be as I would be with any other position in the team, but the budget isn't limitless and I think could be better spent elsewhere.

Lewis is IMO a very good left back certainly at SPL & Championship level, I have never seen him get a real roasting, I would agree he is a far less able wing back.

If we are changing him, why not change Gray where there is no adequate cover and who is IMO no better from a distribution point of view.

Playing 3 5 2 doesn't IMO work in the packed defences of the Championship where most teams come to ER and sit camped on the edge of their own box.

There just isn't the space to get crosses in without trying to beat your man and that isn't either Gray or Stevenson's forte.

I would prefer we spent the budget on more forward thinking players and left the full backs to primarily defend.

Jobs for which they are IMO both better suited than playing as wingbacks
    Fair points, can't really argue with any of that.

Callum Booth - playing at a higher level and playing well. Scored in his last game. Finally starting to play alright for a crap PL team years after leaving.

Sean Welsh - Captain at a club in a higher league than ourselves and has a great number of assists this season and chipped in with a few goals too. Finally starting to play alright for a crap PL team years after leaving.

David Wotherspoon - again playing at a higher level and is a key player for his team. Almost always hid when the going to tough for us.

Kleton Perntreou - released by hibs then got a move to the English premiership. Who?

Jordan McGregor - again released by hibs but then made the jump back to the Scottish premiership. Is highly rated at accies. Not sure if he has played though. Hasn't had a game for a dreadful hamilton team in the league. Couple of league cup appearances.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Griffiths.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Griffiths.
    Was Stefan Scougall not with us when he was young too?

Marc McNulty possibly as well? (Think that's his name)

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    Unfortunate that the pic shows him arriving too late to stop the cross coming in - lamb to the slaughter if he stays here.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Was Stefan Scougall not with us when he was young too?

Marc McNulty possibly as well? (Think that's his name)
    Was Jai qutongo not with us as well?

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

Yes but look what happened when we let Welsh and Booth go they are now both performing well at a premier league team. Don't tell me they both were given as many chances as those 2 duds Stanton and Harris.

Does anyone know how young Sean Mackie is getting on at Berwick Rangers- think his loan is up in January. Still only 18 but wonder how he is doing.

You are kind of backing up my point - the players you name are doing just fine at their respective clubs but I doubt that any are going to attract a big fee any time soon. They have not gone on to the "great things" I asked about and I can't see many Hibs fans leaping for joy if any of them were to return......

Quote Originally Posted by Love the Green View Post
    Yes but look what happened when we let Welsh and Booth go they are now both performing well at a premier league team. Don't tell me they both were given as many chances as those 2 duds Stanton and Harris.
    Booth had plenty of chances, went on loan and did little. Welsh was mainly injured. Anyway what does it matter. Some managers rate a player and some dont.They are no world beaters. We didnt sell Paul Pogba for a mill and pay 80 mill to get him back did we!