hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar

Hibs DVD problems

I got my dad and brother each a copy of Time for Heroes from the clubstore and we sat down to watch one last night. My dad's DVD player couldn't read the first disk, but could read my brother's copy whilst freezing and having to be rewound a few times. I dug out my copy and had the same issue where it couldn't be read in the same player. Seems odd that the same player that plays every other DVD in the hours fine had major issues with two of the three copies and stuttered along with the other one. Has anyone else had issues with it? My CIS final one works in the same player and it's 9 years old.

2. Log in to remove the advert

The only problem I had yesterday was that the start of the captions was cut off at the left edge of the screen, regardless of the aspect ratio I used, but that is a minor thing that didn't affect my enjoyment of DVD1.

I was more surprised that DVD2 didn't have the box showing the time and score during the game, and wasn't divided into "scenes" each of around 12 minutes play to make it easier to navigate.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

I couldn't get a laptop to read the disc, no idea why. Tried for ages but no luck.

Had this now with 2 copies of the DVD - I'd really like to say I've seen it but I haven't. The last copies were changed without question which makes me think it's a known issue.

I said at the time that I was surprised that the DVD's were burnt copies and not pressed ones so it is no suprise to me that people are having issues playing them.

For £25 I think it's a poor show from Hibs that proper DVD's were not used (although I appreciate a limited batch order might not have made this cost effective).

Another thing I noticed is there is no copy protection on the DVD's so if anyone is having issues playing them on some DVD players then try making a copy to a quality blank DVD on a PC/laptop. P.S. Admin, I'm not advocating distributing pirate copies of the cup final DVD - merely proposing a possible solution to those having issues.
    Last edited by SkintHibby; 27-12-2016 at 04:39 AM.

@hibs.net private member Salisbury Hibby's Avatar
    There is a problem with how the DVDs have been mastered. I've given the details to the club.

The cropping of the video is caused by an incorrect piece of information called the Active Format Description. You will see the problem on DVD players that do not have an HDMI output.

The issues with some players playing the discs is due to the low reflectivity of the disc caused vy the dark green of the non playing side and the fact that there isn"t a base coat underneath it.

Whether the club or the shop has taken this further I don'r know.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Salisbury Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The cropping of the video is caused by an incorrect piece of information called the Active Format Description. You will see the problem on DVD players that do not have an HDMI output.
    I watched the Cup Final DVD on my LG dvd player through the scart connection to my TV without any cropping issues.

Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    I watched the Cup Final DVD on my LG dvd player through the scart connection to my TV without any issues.
    Your DVD Player must ignore the AFD, then. I've looked at the bitstream and it is set to crop the video to 4:3.

And this applies to disc 1

If anyone is using a SCART connection, could you PM me your make/model and whether the picture is cropped or not.

Thanks.

Your DVD Player must ignore the AFD, then. I've looked at the bitstream and it is set to crop the video to 4:3.

Possibly,

My dvd player is only about two years old so probably has 'features' older ones don't.

Possibly,

My dvd player is only about two years old so probably has 'features' older ones don't.
    Probably due to the fact manufacturers feel they can save money by not supporting AFD now because 4:3 displays are very rare.

I said at the time that I was surprised that the DVD's were burnt copies and not pressed ones so it is no suprise to me that people are having issues playing them.

For £25 I think it's a poor show from Hibs that proper DVD's were not used (although I appreciate a limited batch order might not have made this cost effective).

Another thing I noticed is there is no copy protection on the DVD's so if anyone is having issues playing them on some DVD players then try making a copy to a quality blank DVD on a PC/laptop. P.S. Admin, I'm not advocating distributing pirate copies of the cup final DVD - merely proposing a possible solution to those having issues.
    Does that mean these DVDs will have a limited lifespan ? Maybe wise to make a few back ups ??

I took my dvd to a friend's place and played it on an old dvd player with scart connector. Dvd1 wouldn't play at all - got "no disc" message . Dvd 2 played no problem with poor resolution. I also have problems playing dvd1 in one of my own players particulary if using fast forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Does that mean these DVDs will have a limited lifespan ? Maybe wise to make a few back ups ??
    Thats what Ive done.

Mine works fine using xbox

I thought the picture quality was poor, then I realised that I was watching through a haze of champagne, gin martini's and port.

My copy is fine up until a few minutes after Halliday scores the winner, then it's difficult to work out what's going on.

Hibs should do more cinema showings.

Was a thing of beauty on the large screen and in surround sound !

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Done on the cheap, mine wouldnt play unless i ripped it to a USB stick and played it through the tv.

My mates is freezing every 5 minutes, and to be honest there are far too many folk complaining about this compared to the amount sold.

Thanks - I think that means it's my DVD player rather than the DVD causing the problem.

Same cropping issue when I tried the 4:3 ratio.

Probably due to the fact manufacturers feel they can save money by not supporting AFD now because 4:3 displays are very rare.
    It is an old DVD player. Don't see the need for a new one given that it works fine.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Gave my Dad a shot of mine as nobody got him one as we all assumed someone else would (terrible I know ) and it doesn't work on his DVD player. Granted it's an older one but FFS.

I'd bet most of the oldies have an old DVD player where this product will not work.

Not very good Hibs is it ?

And yes I know that I am doing the club out of revenue by loaning my 74 year old Dad my copy :-)
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Mine freezes when the teams run out in the Final. Tried it on my DVD player which isn't that old and on my laptop. Managed to forward it on a bit on the laptop eventually but not on the DVD player. Back to the shop tomorrow more in hope than in expectation.

Coaching Staff
    No problems at all, love it.

There is a problem with how the DVDs have been mastered. I've given the details to the club.

The issues with some players playing the discs is due to the low reflectivity of the disc caused vy the dark green of the non playing side and the fact that there isn"t a base coat underneath it.

You obviously know what you're talking about. Sounds like they've been done on the cheap (it actually sounds like they've been copied on someone's PC and then printed on their inkjet!). Bit amateurish of the club, especially given the price and the fact that a load of them have probably been bought as Xmas presents.

@hibs.net private member
    Mines freezes on my DVD player, it's 9 year old, but plays fine on my pc. The reality is that DVDs are not that common nowadays. Hibs should bring out a download.

Mines freezes a lot
    Shame
    Great film

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Mine arrived here in California and I was worried because I had read of some of these issues that people are talking about. Lucky for me, into the PS4 abc watched it all the way through perfectly! Popped it in the MacBook and burnt a perfect copy onto the desktop pronto!

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Gave my Dad a shot of mine as nobody got him one as we all assumed someone else would (terrible I know ) and it doesn't work on his DVD player. Granted it's an older one but FFS.

I'd bet most of the oldies have an old DVD player where this product will not work.

Not very good Hibs is it ?

And yes I know that I am doing the club out of revenue by loaning my 74 year old Dad my copy :-)

I'm I'm old so is my DVD player. Disc worked perfectly.

Testimonial Due The Captain....'s Avatar

Good to know..cheers. My copy seems to have deteriorated at an alarming rate...it's virtually unplayable now after half a dozen watches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk