hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

Dylan McGeouch- an enigma.

I just noticed on the thread about Scott Martin that some folk commented that Dylan is injured again? I wondered if there was any truth in this?

I have found it very odd that he has been making the bench without always starting. Given the qualities he brings to the side, it seems strange. Equally, if he is carrying a chronic injury then why can't it be treated?

He's aplayer I rate very highly and like many on here, I feel he is a tremendous asset to the side when fit. Sadly, that isn't as often as we would all like. Although stats show that he has played in around half of our league games these past two and a bit seasons, they don't tell the full story. How many has he finished or come on as a sub?

Unfortunately for Dylan and for Hibs, it's looking like he is a luxury we can't afford. I would guess he is on a decent wage and one of the top earners at the club. Not sure when his contract runs out but unless there is a significant change to his fitness, it won't be renewed.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfuddyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just noticed on the thread about Scott Martin that some folk commented that Dylan is injured again? I wondered if there was any truth in this?

I have found it very odd that he has been making the bench without always starting. Given the qualities he brings to the side, it seems strange. Equally, if he is carrying a chronic injury then why can't it be treated?

He's aplayer I rate very highly and like many on here, I feel he is a tremendous asset to the side when fit. Sadly, that isn't as often as we would all like. Although stats show that he has played in around half of our league games these past two and a bit seasons, they don't tell the full story. How many has he finished or come on as a sub?

Unfortunately for Dylan and for Hibs, it's looking like he is a luxury we can't afford. I would guess he is on a decent wage and one of the top earners at the club. Not sure when his contract runs out but unless there is a significant change to his fitness, it won't be renewed.
    Title of the thread is harsh.

Put it this way, if he never had his injury problems he wouldn't be a Hibs player.

Quote Originally Posted by HibsNutter View Post
    Put it this way, if he never had his injury problems he wouldn't be a Hibs player.
    Spot on.. He'd Be a Celtic regular if could play 90% of games

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy_hibees View Post
    Spot on.. He'd Be a Celtic regular if could play 90% of games
    Is he really that good? I can't imagine him being on the same park as Messi et al. in the champions league.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Dylan is our best player by some degree when 100% fit. Unfortunately this rarely happens.

I'd give him until the end of his contract (which I believe is the end of next season). If we're only getting 10/15 games out of him a year, I'd let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by chlub Hibernian View Post
    Is he really that good? I can't imagine him being on the same park as Messi et al. in the champions league.
    Van Zanten was on the same park as Messi few years ago so anything is possible!!

@hibs.net private member
    Sorry but he's not our best player. He's played a handful of games when he's been outstanding. I want him to play and contribute but if he's never fit gesno use.

Where have these comments about him being injured again come from? Is there a link?

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Sorry but he's not our best player. He's played a handful of games when he's been outstanding. I want him to play and contribute but if he's never fit gesno use.
    When he is fit and playing regularly he is our best player as he moves the ball much quicker and increases the tempo of our play. Always looking to go forward and is
    very much underrated by hibs fans. Boy do we need him on his game now.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    He makes us tick when he plays. Great footballer.

Unfortunately he doesn't play enough. His appearance stats surprised me but he never really seems to have a proper run of games (i.e. consistently playing 90 minutes for more than 2 games in a row).

He's like a human tampon; in for 1 week & then out for 3.

Quote Originally Posted by chlub Hibernian View Post
    It was only a pre-season friendly, but YouTube mcgeouch's highlight reel v Real Madrid when he was at Celtic. Outstanding against elite players (before he got knocked spark out....)

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    McGeough's quality, hence why we're all so frustrated when he's continually injured. Not player to lose at such an important point in the season.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    I thought we were a different team when he came on against Dumbarton. His movement and distribution were a different class to anybody else on the pitch.

What are his injury problems? He seems to constantly stretch on the pitch when the ball is out of play etc

IMO he is our best player, he controls the game and the tempo increases when he plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    When he is fit and playing regularly he is our best player as he moves the ball much quicker and increases the tempo of our play. Always looking to go forward and is
    very much underrated by hibs fans. Boy do we need him on his game now.
    Opinions. I agree that he's a very good player and would like to see him have a full run when fully fit in the team. However, my opinion is that he's generally OVER rated by hibs fans! Maybe I just hang about with different minded fans who put him in a bracket I believe to he incorrect.

A very good footballer and happy to have him at the club. Our best player? Hasn't ever been in my opinion.

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    So is he injured again?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHibs View Post
    I thought we were a different team when he came on against Dumbarton. His movement and distribution were a different class to anybody else on the pitch.
    Night and day when he came on.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    He was anonymous against Dundee Utd. I honestly can't believe people think he's better than McGinn. He's a good player but until he plays 15 games in a row from the start it's impossible to judge if he's the best at the club or not.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Title of the thread is harsh.
    Gifted footballer but agree the thread is a bit of an enema.

A gamble we knew about and may still be worth taking depending on the managers view. We've had much much worse who have contributed less.
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsNutter View Post
    this.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Clearly in the minority here but I don't get the McGeouch hype. He's a neat, tidy footballer but no more in my opinion. I must watch a different game from others if he is our best player. I've never seen him stand out in a game in the same way as say John McGinn, or Scott Allan did when we beat the Huns 4-0.

Admittedly I think he's better than he's shown but this season he has been very poor (when not injured) Dundee Utd recently and QOS earlier in the season - if Fyvie for example had put in performances like that he would have been slaughtered in my opinion, but McGeouch seems to get a pass without much criticism.

I made a point of watching him again when he came on against Dumbarton, in my opinion most of his passes were sideway/backwards but others saw him as lifting the game/tempo when he came on.

I suppose it is all about opinions.
    Last edited by jeffers; 13-12-2016 at 03:58 PM.

Is he injured again?
    How many games has he actually started & lasted the whole game? Some nice geek out there must know..

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Comments about if he wasn't injured regularly etc he wouldn't be at Hibs puzzle me. Are they suggesting that we signed hom knowing he had a chronic injury issue? If so I would be astonished.

I assumed McGeouch's contract was up this summer, it seems from some posts that's not the case.

It seems odd that he is on the bench and Bartley starts before him. I can see some logic in this v Dundee Utd, given that he probably lacks a bit match sharpness, but v Dumbarton????? If he is fit then he should have played?

Some have suggested on here that there might be psychological factors at work with McGeouch, that is partly why I referred to him as an enigma. Like most, I rate him highly, but I am concerned that he is out of the picture so often. If he has a severe and enduring physical issue then that's tough for him and for Hibs. It would be enlightening to know what is going on with him.

Comments about if he wasn't injured regularly etc he wouldn't be at Hibs puzzle me. Are they suggesting that we signed hom knowing he had a chronic injury issue? If so I would be astonished.

I assumed McGeouch's contract was up this summer, it seems from some posts that's not the case.

It seems odd that he is on the bench and Bartley starts before him. I can see some logic in this v Dundee Utd, given that he probably lacks a bit match sharpness, but v Dumbarton????? If he is fit then he should have played?

Some have suggested on here that there might be psychological factors at work with McGeouch, that is partly why I referred to him as an enigma. Like most, I rate him highly, but I am concerned that he is out of the picture so often. If he has a severe and enduring physical issue then that's tough for him and for Hibs. It would be enlightening to know what is going on with him.

The fact he has injury problems were a factor in us signing him from Celtic, if he didn't have these problems he would've started far more games for Celtic and maybe even still be there.

It's very sad, because he's an incredibly gifted player, but his body is letting him down to the extent it's now becoming hard to see him having any long-term future in the game.

These should be his very best years. As it is, the injury problems that are plaguing him are probably only likely to get worse with age.

This is only speculation, but it's based on previous form. The club and the player will know better, and I hope I'm wrong.

...so no-one knows if he's injured yet again then?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    ...so no-one knows if he's injured yet again then?
    Seems to me we have two current threads based on nonsense. No-one can (or will) say where this info came from so as usual we have people with too much time on their hands

I rate Dylan pretty highly but he was pants against Utd. No idea if he is injured or not.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Once again a nice positive thread on hibs.net. Feels like some fans ain't happy unless they are moaning about something.

He won the Scottish cup with us ffs and is one if not our best midfielder. Get a grip. It hasn't even been confirmed he is injured and people want rid of him. Idiots!!

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

What we need is multiple threads obsessing on key players periodically especially around injury. We appear to have had more than our fair share of late but hey ho part and parcel of the game move on.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.