hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eric Stevenson

Eric Stevenson

Eric Stevenson is launching his book on Wednesday 7th December 6.30pm for 7pm at Easter Road.

Top player for Hibs........

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby soldier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eric Stevenson is launching his book on Wednesday 7th December 6.30pm for 7pm at Easter Road.

Loved Eric Stevenson. Top player and some great memories.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby soldier View Post

He was actually my favourite player in his time at ER. I actually got to meet him in the Hibs Club when I went back for That Final.

What's it called-Eric Stevenson,how I made Joe Davis a top goal scorer One of my favourite players.

@hibs.net private member
    Used to love the way he juggled the ball in the warm up. Those were good days standing at the centre line on the east terrace. Trays full of sweets and juice brought roundctge track. Big crowds and every song started in the stand opposite.
    Last edited by CentreLine; 29-11-2016 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Loved Eric Stevenson. Top player and some great memories.
    Thats why I feel so very sorry for our younger Hibs supporters...they missed out on seeing some magnificent players pull on that famous jersey.

Eric was absolute class and really turned it on against the Herts

Blog Entries
    Great player, great Hibs man & top guy hence my avatar!

First Team Breakthrough
    Book is called HIBS THROUGH AND THROUGH.

Great Hibs Legend... I hope many turn up at the launch to show their support for Eric. True gent of a man. 💚
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I'm not much mistaken him (plus 1 other whose name I'm shamefully forgotten) were the guests of honour at a London Hibs Burns night I once attended a few years back.

I'd done some reading up on him beforehand and was absolutely astonished to hear of the games he'd played in so ended up gawping like a fool when I got the chance to meet him. Signed my t-shirt from the night which I've still got at home.

And then met Mickey Weir. And I had a coupon come up earlier that day.

What a day that was

Loved story about how he didn't turn up for Ayr game but went to Hampden to watch Hibs beat Celtic 2-1 in League cup final. Jock Stein spotted him and told Ally McLeod who fined him 2 weeks wages but Stoc says it was worth every penny.

Eric seemed to have such perfect balance that even a defender breathing on him seemed to make him fall over in the penalty box !

Brilliant player

Always a bit nervous opening threads named after past players

Very skilful player who was effective in almost every match such was the level of his consistency. Wingers tend to be prone to spells of inconsistency but not Eric he was a great player and a real fans favourite.

Just a few years before my time attending ER when Eric put away his boots. Believe he was a great servant to us according to those who seen him and I hope his book is a good seller. A good Christmas present.

Left by mutual consent!
    I remember us playing the Dons in the old league cup (sections) in August 1970. We were 4-0 to the good after about 20 minutes. Eric was sensational that night. Great player so going down to get the book tomorrow.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

He could have gone to the top I reckon. Bit slow perhaps. What a combo with Davis for the pens!

They used to shout "come on the rebel" from the terrace.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Used to love the way he juggled the ball in the warm up. Those were good days standing at the centre line on the east terrace. Trays full of sweets and juice brought roundctge track. Big crowds and every song started in the stand opposite.
    Remember when the north stand started the chanting and stamping? They didn't do it often so it meant something when they did!

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Great player, great Hibs man & top guy hence my avatar!
    He has been unwell recently so here's to a full recovery Eric

It was funny speaking to him recently at the Morton game (where I was fortunate enough to be given hospitality)about the difference between the style of play then ..all guns blazing,down the flanks,hit the bye line cross to far post ...and now with all this back and forwards across the back 4 p*sh.

Ah the old days...

Rebel was one of my earliest heroes who should have been capped but didn't play for the old firm. A great player and I'm looking forward to reading his book
    This is how it feels

First Team Regular
    It was a long time ago but I'm sure Hearts dumped Eric .Can not understand why . He was a class act that no fullback enjoyed playing against

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    If I'm not much mistaken him (plus 1 other whose name I'm shamefully forgotten) were the guests of honour at a London Hibs Burns night I once attended a few years back.

I'd done some reading up on him beforehand and was absolutely astonished to hear of the games he'd played in so ended up gawping like a fool when I got the chance to meet him. Signed my t-shirt from the night which I've still got at home.

And then met Mickey Weir. And I had a coupon come up earlier that day.

What a day that was
    Like you, Eric was before my time and what a career he had for Hibs.

He was indeed our Guest of Honour at a Burns Night and IIRC it may have been Alex Cropley that was the other guest that evening. Actually, the more I think about it it may not have been Crops. For some unbeknown reason, anything after 8pm at these events slips from memory.

BTW - if you're still on the London Hibs mailing list, we are going to offer the book to members at a reduced rate.

eric stevenson skill at its best

Quote Originally Posted by London Hibs Supporters Club View Post

He was indeed our Guest of Honour at a Burns Night and IIRC it may have been Alex Cropley that was the other guest that evening. Actually, the more I think about it it may not have been Crops. For some unbeknown reason, anything after 8pm at these events slips from memory.

BTW - if you're still on the London Hibs mailing list, we are going to offer the book to members at a reduced rate.

What a player he was, such great close ball control..at times it looked like the ball was glued to his foot..he won so many penalties for us as no-one could get the ball off him .
    I do hope he does not trip when launching his book!!!!!

I remember a very nice afternoon out at Tynecastle-Stevenson and O'Rourke 4-0 up after 10 minutes.

Testimonial Due
    I remember Eric playing in a cup tie at Easter Road on a Wednesday night, a cross came in from the right and he dived to head it, missed it but brought his heal up and back healed it into the top corner!!!
    This is one of the best goals I've ever seen scored at Easter Road.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcd View Post
    It was a long time ago but I'm sure Hearts dumped Eric .Can not understand why . He was a class act that no fullback enjoyed playing against
    Hearts didn't dump Eric. They actually got fined for a contract irregularity and Eric became a free agent. Man Utd and Wolves tried to sign him but he chose Hibs. The Hearts fans always gave him a hard time because of that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by London Hibs Supporters Club View Post

The other guest was Jim Scott. IIRC they had about 700 games for Hibs between them

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Best game I seen him play was against polish side gornick he ripped them apart, I'm sure it was a friendly tho but memory a bit vague

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    The other guest was Jim Scott. IIRC they had about 700 games for Hibs between them
    That's the one. Couple of gents with some great tales to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I remember a very nice afternoon out at Tynecastle-Stevenson and O'Rourke 4-0 up after 10 minutes.
    I was there!! Got in just as the first goal was going in, my first Tynie derby.