hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SJM - Value

Testimonial Due

SJM - Value

was thinking over the weekend how much potentially SJM could be worth to the club in terms of a future sell on, especially if he finally makes the breakthrough into the full national team (ok its a rubbish national team but a national team nonetheless)...

As far as I'm aware he's contracted until around the summer of 2019?

Hopefully once he's had the required surgery he'll be back and firing on all cylinders....

Some of Stubbs young signings are starting to look really good acquisitions as sad as it is to say we like all Scottish clubs need quality young players coming through that we can then sell on to help balance the books and keep the club in the black, wish it was otherwise of course but that's life....

To name just three from Stubbs that now look like being worth a few bob there's the obvious two in JC & SJM but Boyle now looks like he could be developing nicely.

Anyone care to put a potential value on SJM (or anyone else) though?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Priceless.

Quvestion, next....! :)

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Hunners.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hunners.
    Less 30% or so due to St Mirren

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I wouldn't sell him for less than £3million considering we have to give St Mirren 30%. . Whether we'd get that or not is a different story.

Blog Entries
    Celtc are beink linked with a "bargain" £2.5m move for Jordan Mutch in the window. As it happens I like Mutch but he's done nothing for Palace since his arrival. It's just another example of the totally over hyped, overblown English transfer market. If JM is worth £2.5m then SJM is worth at least that but unfortunately the reality is different.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Some no mark English club will try and get him for £1M in the summer.

If a Championship club is willing to spend £1.7m on Cummings, the McGinn will be at least £3M based on that.

If Pogba can fetch £90m, McGinn (Super John) should be ~£125m easily. More if we can instigate a bidding war between Real Madrid, Barca, Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Less 30% or so due to St Mirren
    I've read about that clause a few times on hibs.net but never seen it in print as a quote from NL or LD - are there any links to verify this?

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    If Pogba can fetch £90m, McGinn (Super John) should be ~£125m easily. More if we can instigate a bidding war between Real Madrid, Barca, Man Utd, Man City, Sevco and Chelsea.
    Fixed that for you.......

Ahem......

If the economy hadn't hid the skids then you'd say what ever we got for Scott Brown and add a million. Incidentally, I see SJM being a straight replacement for SB and an improvement, if they can come up with the right deal, but all in good time.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    I've read about that clause a few times on hibs.net but never seen it in print as a quote from NL or LD - are there any links to verify this?
    Think the quote came via Stewart Gilmour, ex Saints Chairman, via a St Mirren fan

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    Some no mark English club will try and get him for £1M in the summer.
    The Rangers?

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    He's better than Zidane so £100m.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    It was announced at the St.Mirren AGM last year.

Hibs generally don't mention that kind of thing.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post

Fair play to St. Mirren I guess for getting that sort of clause added and especially that high.... Didn't we pay in excess of £100K development fee when we signed him as well?

I'd hope when the time comes that the sell on clause will be factored in and I'm sure it will be....

We want a net £2M so that'll be £2.6M to you sir

Just as an example

Edit: And yes I'm aware that £2.6M would mean less than £2M net afore someone goes pointing that out....

At least £5million.
    A double cup winner in Scotland having not played for either the old firm, in the Scotland squad and only 22.

We sold Brown for £4.4million

@hibs.net private member
    I'd sell him to us for £1 then give St Mirren 30p give SJM a new contract for 3-4 years then sell him we get the profit and mug off some west coast team in the process.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member
    See above I'm starting to sound Yamish I'm away to kick ten piles of poo out of myself.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    At least £5million.
    A double cup winner in Scotland having not played for either the old firm, in the Scotland squad and only 22.

We sold Brown for £4.4million
    Considering that £4.4 million was back in 2007 we should really be getting a lot more than that in 2016 for a young Scotland international.

Considering The size of the TV deal and the poor value of the pound he should be closer to £10m than £5m.

When you look at the money that's been spent on Burke and McCormack who are also Scotland players with a few caps it doesn't seem so ridiculous.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Considering that £4.4 million was back in 2007 we should really be getting a lot more than that in 2016 for a young Scotland international.

Considering The size of the TV deal and the poor value of the pound he should be closer to £10m than £5m.

When you look at the money that's been spent on Burke and McCormack who are also Scotland players with a few caps it doesn't seem so ridiculous.
    I agree we should be getting more but unfortunately the game in England has gone crazy whereas ours has declined.

Bottom line is that teams in England just don't rate players from Scottish leagues. Even though they are flushed with cash Scotland is seen as a cheap market to take a punt on, not really somewhere to splash the cash.

Celtic can get decent money for the likes of Wayama and Van Dijk but they are the exception.

My only hope with John is that he seems a really sensible guy and I don't see him agitating for a move unless it's in his and our interests which helps to strengthen our position.

No way we're getting £5m for him and £10m is probably enough to buy every player in more then half the teams in the SPL.
    Last edited by neil7908; 21-11-2016 at 05:58 PM.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    we will get this season and another season out of him if we get promoted before he is sold for around £3.5m with a year left on his contract.

People need to calm down with these prices

Scott brown at hibs also had a Scotland cap and was playing in the premiership in a very good hibs side for years and was always a stand out who had endless potential.

Now Mcginn is very good too, but he's not as good is brown was at the same age imo and is the playing in the championship.

Imo 2.5 absolute max if he was to leave in January

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post

I'd be surprised if we actually agreed this. It would have been a tribunal if we hadn't agreed a deal but doubtful it would have amounted to too much.

30% of someone we thought highly enough of to give him a long contract seems a bit steep.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    He's better than Zidane so £100m.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I'd be surprised if we actually agreed this. It would have been a tribunal if we hadn't agreed a deal but doubtful it would have amounted to too much.

30% of someone we thought highly enough of to give him a long contract seems a bit steep.
    There was also the issue of John dropping his legal action against St Mirren re. the spike in his leg, which led to Hibs getting a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    If the economy hadn't hid the skids then you'd say what ever we got for Scott Brown and add a million. Incidentally, I see SJM being a straight replacement for SB and an improvement, if they can come up with the right deal, but all in good time.
    I reckon McGinn has his sights set a bit higher than the top team in Scotland. He strikes me as a guy with ambition, his head firmly screwed on and no qualms about playing outside of Scotland. Remember, he almost went to the MLS before joining us.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I reckon McGinn has his sights set a bit higher than the top team in Scotland. He strikes me as a guy with ambition, his head firmly screwed on and no qualms about playing outside of Scotland. Remember, he almost went to the MLS before joining us.
    His two brothers play down south.

If scott brown went for 5.5 million......rod petrie must be constantly hard.