hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member hibee1875's Avatar

Harris - Will he make it?

Harris is obviously doing something right in training and Lennon must see something in him (personal coaching through development games) but why can't he turn it on on a Saturday??

Twice yesterday he was played in and he hadn't read the situation and got caught on his heels. At another point the ball was going out near the corner and him and Holt both went for it. He seemed to hesitated and then got inHolts way. Holt then gives him an earful!

I'd love be for him to make it, he's shown glimpses of quality at times but is his time here running out? I feel he needs a big, big performance or he'll be away come January.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    His confidence has been gone ever since that Motherwell player clattered him in 2013. If he gets it back, maybe.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    No he won't at this level.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Sorry but do not think he is bringing any benefit whatsoever to the team.Time for him to move on.

Simple answer, no.

He's just one of many young players who showed a bit potential but hasn't built on it when required. Had a bad injury and was poorly treated by Butcher but that was a long time ago now and he shows no sign of any inprovement whatsoever.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have seen signs of life about him in some of the development games.

I have 2 conflicting thoughts on yesterday:

1) Either Lennon has decided its sink or swim timefor him

or

2) It was a complete miss -step by Lennon throwing him on and is likely to set the guy back further again

Imo its 2)

It is hard enough for any sub to make an impact, but yesterday was the last place to be bringing someone on with the apparent mental fragility Harris has.

Different if he has been coming on every week , but he hasn't

Personally I would have had him playing more often in games that were won for a spell and building him up.

Yesterday didn't go well at all for him and IMO he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights

Such a pity as the initial breakthrough Harris was one of the more potentially exciting players we have brought through in the last 30 years

Nope and will be moved in Jan I reckon. Offers nothing now which is a shame, but he'll end up playing with Alloa or Livvi.

Left by mutual consent!
    No.

He's terrible.

Came on yesterday...cannae read a game....cannae pass.

Get rid

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    He can play at Championship level. He proved that at QoS last season. To ensure promotion we need Premiership players in as many positions as possible. He'll be a bit part player this season. I thought the passes to him yesterday were over hit though. We were more of a threat with him and Boyle wide as opposed to Gray and Stevenson wide.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Left by mutual consent!
    Heart-breaking if he doesn't - when he first appeared, I've never been so excited by an emerging Hibs-player in years !!. I've been a fan of his ever since but sadly, it looks like that Motherwell-game/tackle has really killed him - which is surprising as in interviews he comes across as very intelligent and thoughtful and I thought he had the wherewithal to get over it but no sign yet.

Shame but I really can't see him with a future at Hibs. A couple of times yesterday he either couldn't be bothered chasing the ball when we were attacking or just failed to read the game.

He'll probably only be remembered for his goal against the same opposition at Hampden back in 2013.

I really thought we had a star in the making when he first broke through into the first team four years ago.

Sadly he hasn't really progressed as I had hoped he would over the last two or three years and if I'm being honest, he's probably gone backwards.

I would be surprised if he's a Hibs player beyond the end of this season.

His natural position is wide left, so we put him on at wide right meaning he's always going to cut inside which immediately negates the reason you put him on in the first place. When he did try to go outside, Hippolyte had him on toast so he wasn't likely to try it again. He was the top supplier for QOTS last season so he still has something to offer, but I imagine his game time will be very limited, and utterly pointless if we stick him wide right again.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Not at Hibs.

He's got decent pace, and it's probably quite hard for the opposition to read what he's about to do, given that he doesn't even look like he knows!

Wish the laddie all the best, but he needs the be moved on.

Echo what everyone else is saying, no.

2 or 3 times yesterday he didn't read what was happening and cut inside far too often when he's meant to be playing wide right, plus he bottled it badly in a 50/50, no heart for the game and looked like a wee boy lost yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His natural position is wide left, so we put him on at wide right meaning he's always going to cut inside which immediately negates the reason you put him on in the first place. When he did try to go outside, Hippolyte had him on toast so he wasn't likely to try it again. He was the top supplier for QOTS last season so he still has something to offer, but I imagine his game time will be very limited, and utterly pointless if we stick him wide right again.
    Why is he a wide left player when he's right footed? Yes he can play out left but he is a right footed winger.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Nope, the minute he came on we lost any threat down Thame right hand side, he shows one or two nice passes but not enough for us imo. I have no idea why Lennon is persisting with him. That's just harsh but honest.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Yes but not with Hibs

He's basically Alan O'Brien now. Too scared to make a mistake and when he does take a risk he is easily dispossessed.

First Team Breakthrough
    Needs to hit the gym- too easily muscled off the ball. If he toughens up and regains some confidence maybe but at the moment doesn't offer anything. Even his teammates didn't seem to want to pass to him

Saw him tear his opponent to shreds in the U20s vs Dundee United and reminded me of Harris when he first broke through.

He rarely plays for the U20s though, which I don't understand. A run of good performances for them is his best chance.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    He's basically Alan O'Brien now. Too scared to make a mistake and when he does take a risk he is easily dispossessed.
    He offers even less. It even looked like the other players tried to avoid passing to him if they could.

Not good enough...cut our losses and release him from.his contract in Jan...never done anything to prove otherwise and imo is a waste of a wage

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Never seen a player glide past opponents with more ease than he did when he first broke through. Brutal to watch him struggle so much now. It's like he's forgotten how to beat a man. Would love him to get back to the player that first broke through but just can't see how it can happen. His confidence seems utterly shot to bits.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Clearly not mentally tough enough. Ball's in his court as to where he goes from here but he's had umpteen chances here and taken zero so for both his sake and the clubs it's time for him to move on.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Clearly not mentally tough enough. Ball's in his court as to where he goes from here but he's had umpteen chances here and taken zero so for both his sake and the clubs it's time for him to move on.
    Agreed. Not got the mentality to be a pro footballer.

That's the spirit folks. Love it when we get right behind our young players. They must get so much confidence from this knowing how much we are behind them.

Anyone for another Cummings thread?

@hibs.net private member hibee1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    That's the spirit folks. Love it when we get right behind our young players. They must get so much confidence from this knowing how much we are behind them.

Nope. This is a thread about Alex Harris. The Hibs player and us being Hibs fans who watch him play are discussing our opinions on him.

The general jist is we want him to make it, however we fear he won't due to issues only he can resolve.

No mention of Cummings. Why mention him???

Harris has been around forever, or so it seems, and still he can't break through - despite every man and his dog rooting for him and every manager giving him yet another chance.
    I really do feel that he is one of those players who will never make it at Easter Road, but might, just might, go on to have a modicum of success with a Morton or a Dumbarton.
    So, I would let him go at the first opportunity with good luck wishes ringing in his ears.
    Last edited by Hi Heid Yin; 13-11-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post

We're not exactly talking about some young boy who's played a handful of games and is being written off.

Harris is 22 now and has played nearly 100 career games, a decent chunk of which were in the top league. If he's not showing anything now then it's unlikely he's going to.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years