hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough

Forward required

Who could we get up front that will take at least half of the chances we make , could we get such a striker in January who will do the business , thoughts please ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    We could try playing our top goal scorer

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I hear Leigh's down in the pecking order over at Parkhead. Or more realistically, Stephen Dobbie.

difficult, now that we only have Cummings , Boyle,Keatings , Holt and a few random midfielders to choose from wish we had a wonderboy in the sidings, waiting on his chance

@hibs.net private member
    As despicable as he was today I would take Baird in a heartbeat. Scores plenty, good conversion rate, clever, great runs off the ball and willing to do anything to win. Hate that type of player but that is because they always seem to play against us. Can't remember the last time we had someone like him play for us.

Don't think our strikers missed many glaring opportunities today. The service to them is largely the issue IMO.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As despicable as he was today I would take Baird in a heartbeat. Scores plenty, good conversion rate, clever, great runs off the ball and willing to do anything to win. Hate that type of player but that is because they always seem to play against us. Can't remember the last time we had someone like him play for us.
    No.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Stevenson and grays crossing isnae the best likes

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    No.
    Agreed.

Or Lennon could end his petty feud with our best striker and play him

First Team Breakthrough Stoney Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Stevenson and grays crossing isnae the best likes
    There is no doubt that Stevenson gets its himself into great attacking positions, but I would love to know what percentage actually ends up with an effective cross into the box and not passed back to a midfielder (usually the person who gave him the ball in the first place) or a cross that hits the first defender.

GMS from Celtix on loan. Watch this space.

Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    GMS from Celtix on loan. Watch this space.
    Go on....

As much as I like Holt I think we could do much better. He puts himself about and could be a brilliant asset but it seems his lay off's always go in the wrong direction from where a teammate is.

I see what he is trying to do but a better player would make the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Go on....
    Heard we tried to get him in summer but he didn't want to go on loan.

Guaranteed to go on loan in winter break. Celtic won't let him go to sheep, yams etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    Heard we tried to get him in summer but he didn't want to go on loan.

Guaranteed to go on loan in winter break. Celtic won't let him go to sheep, yams etc.
    Id be more inclinded to think Commons is a more realistic target. However give me GMS over harris please. Harris is a lost soul for me, too weak.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Don't think our strikers missed many glaring opportunities today. The service to them is largely the issue IMO.
    Correct. Whatever crosses we eventually put in are just nor good enough. Or blocked.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    As much as I like Holt I think we could do much better. He puts himself about and could be a brilliant asset but it seems his lay off's always go in the wrong direction from where a teammate is.

Agree. The service he gets isn't great, especially with Keatings out and you can't question his work rate and commitment but he's short on the quality we require.

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    We could try playing our top goal scorer
    And this plan to get us promoted - how many years do you think it will take to work?

First Team Regular ForeverHibs93's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xox TopLad xox

I see this a lot on here and people genuinely seem to rate Holt but when ever I have seen him I just can't see what he brings to the game.

He's an absolute cart horse, he's so slow and he doesn't even hold the ball up all that well and when he does he misplaces the lay offs.

keatings (I know he's injured but I'm talking in general) and Cummings are much better players IMO. Surely even Graham has a bit more mobility than Holt.

I don't get how he see'a out 90 minutes when he's so clearly knackered after 60.

i don't dislike the guy and you can't fault his effort, but he's just not a very good player anymore unfortunately.

as for the general thread, Lennon needs to drop this pathetic rift with our best striker as it's now to the detriment of the team.
    Last edited by ForeverHibs93; 12-11-2016 at 06:34 PM.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    We have plenty of forwards at the club no need to rush out and buy another one, so they drew a blank today....it happens.

Poor balls into the box and 10 men defenses are always hard to break down, just ask Man U last week, on another day with a bit of luck we hammer Falkirk.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

I disagree, he is an intelligent player who knows the game and where to put the ball, not his fault if others can't think quick enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I disagree, he is an intelligent player who knows the game and where to put the ball, not his fault if others can't think quick enough.
    Exactly right.Plus he wins the majority of kick outs which is something we've lacked for years.

Left by mutual consent!
    Forwards are only as good as the service they receive. Stevenson crossing once again was dreadful and the deliveries from corners was equally poor. Maybe if our midfielders gave them better service then they'd score more goals.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar

Where to put the ball?

Surely that's in the back of the net, which up until now, he has struggled with

I'm not sure a striker is neceserally the problem.

How many clear cut chances for a striker did we create today??

IMO the problem is the cutting edge from outwide and through balls.

Lewis Stevenson, for as much as I love him, could hit 100 crosses, and your lucky if 10% hit a Hibs player, he is not a forward thinking player, and we are asking him to get forward and create, he will bust a gut for you, is solid defensively.

Gray on the other side is better, but id like to see both do what they do best, defend and have a couple of more forward/attacking players in front of them.

In the league we are in, we can take risks and put more forward thinking players on the pitch, our defence is solid, and solid enough to handle div1.

As someone has stated above, I'm talking maybe GMS, Liam Henderson types out wide, tricky and pacey.

The only downside is they will cost.

Cummings/Holt/Keatings/Graham would have a field with that kind of supply.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Cummings should have been brought on as soon as they went down to 10 men. Lennon waited too long then took off 2 defenders which contributed to us losing a goal. People criticise Cummings for not tracking back, but that wasn't required once they went down to 10 men. We don't win today because our manager made the wrong call for the second time this season at Easter Road. If he's shut up shop against Ayr we'd have won the game and if he's been more adventurous today we'd have won the game.
    Worrying times.

United we stand here....

Sometimes having a bad game is exactly just that. For the last 3 weeks or so Martin Boyle has been the best striker in the world and we didn't need Jason Cummings. Now Holt is garbage and we should start playing Cummings again.

Ah the joys of over analysing every single fixture