hibs.net Messageboard

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Scotland

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with this. Although I think Robertson is the better player overall, I think Tierney performs better for Scotland than Robertson. Tierney will be due another injury soon anyway, so it is not as if he'll be keeping Robertson out all the time.

I do wonder if there might be repercussions for Tierney, though. It looked like he ripped the black armband for the Queen off and chucked it to the side of the pitch before kick off. I have no issue with that but I don't know if the SFA might take a different view.
    I'm the opposite, i feel Tierney is the better player and it's a shame he has had a few injuries.

I could see Tierney getting a move to one of the biggest clubs if he stays clear of injuries, he's world class in my opinion in a couple of positions.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Am I right in saying if Scotland manage to get promoted, we go into Group A1? Currently Denmark, Croatia, Austria and France with France sitting bottom? Nothing to fear there, especially if France go down. Reckon we'll be in the play off finals in June 2024. You heard it here first

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McSwanky View Post
    Am I right in saying if Scotland manage to get promoted, we go into Group A1? Currently Denmark, Croatia, Austria and France with France sitting bottom? Nothing to fear there, especially if France go down. Reckon we'll be in the play off finals in June 2024. You heard it here first
    No, I think promotion / relegation is only to/from the Leagues (A, B, C, D) rather the groups (1, 2, etc.). The groups are redrawn within the leagues. E.g. last time we were in B2, this time we are in B1. Otherwise you'd get teams playing each other all the time (not that it doesn't happen anyway - see Scotland/Israel).

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Promotion would just mean we're in league A – the groups are then drawn from the teams in that league.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I've just read that there's a plan to add South American teams to it from the next iteration. 6 highest ranked teams go into League A and the 4 lowest ranked into League B.

There’s a great Twitter page explaining the permutations of our nations league progress:
    https://twitter.com/thetartanscarf/s...r1926toLmi1RiA

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    No, I think promotion / relegation is only to/from the Leagues (A, B, C, D) rather the groups (1, 2, etc.). The groups are redrawn within the leagues. E.g. last time we were in B2, this time we are in B1. Otherwise you'd get teams playing each other all the time (not that it doesn't happen anyway - see Scotland/Israel).
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    Promotion would just mean we're in league A – the groups are then drawn from the teams in that league.
    Ah. Clearly getting over excited. I am, however, definitely correct in saying that if England get beaten tomorrow night they are relegated. Even a draw leaves their coat on a very shoogly peg. Shame

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Saturday is not a ‘must win’. 2 draws and we win the group. I’ll take that right now.
    A win on Saturday and a loss on Tuesday and we probably finish 2nd, which is probably enough to secure a play-off place. Win on Saturday and Armenia take something from Ukraine and we finish top. Exciting times….and folk slated the Nations League when it started. Far better than friendlies.
    I expect you are right but I always worry whenever there's any talk of a draw being ok for Scotland. Let's go and attack Ireland, get the 3 points and hope Ukraine slip up.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    great performance last night but hopefully on Saturday the players make up for that very poor performance in Dublin

Ah. Clearly getting over excited. I am, however, definitely correct in saying that if England get beaten tomorrow night they are relegated. Even a draw leaves their coat on a very shoogly peg. Shame
    Just go out for wins in the two games
    The England relegation would be lovely but it would also be great to have them in the same group next time

Remember Ukraine game is in afternoon on Sat so we'll know we have to do maybe could win group then with a win.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I'm the opposite, i feel Tierney is the better player and it's a shame he has had a few injuries.

I could see Tierney getting a move to one of the biggest clubs if he stays clear of injuries, he's world class in my opinion in a couple of positions.
    Almost zero chance he leaves Arsenal anytime soon. Great player though.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    As a footballing nation, we are really really poor.

How bad is it going to be before this proud nation does something about it.
    Wow! What a turn around!

Have we just been lucky or has there been a change that's only now just starting to ripple through. Whatever it's let's ride the wave!

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Wow! What a turn around!

Have we just been lucky or has there been a change that's only now just starting to ripple through. Whatever it's let's ride the wave!
    We now have some very decent players playing at the highest level along with a manager that has his players enjoying representing their country. It's no longer a chore for these guys to play for Scotland. Next to no squad withdrawals these days tells you all you need to know.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Almost zero chance he leaves Arsenal anytime soon. Great player though.
    Might want to play more who knows