hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Fifa ban poppy from shirts

Story in the press about FIFA stating Scotland and England cannot wear a poppy on their shirt as it is political!
    Loads of teams have a poppy on their shirt at this time of year.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Everybody run for cover!!!!!!

@hibs.net private member CyberSauzee's Avatar
    I thought it was to remember the war dead. Some choose not to wear a strip with a poppy on it for political reasons.

What next, banning black armbands as that could be inferred as a political statement by some!!?

This happened last year as well and the year before and the year before and so on and so forth.

It's sure fire click bait for the tabloids though as people vent their outrage so it's perfect for a slow news day.

Not read any links but heard it in the news driving to work.

I assumed it was due to it being international football where FIFA bans any statement of sorts?

Guaranteed the usual James McLean case will appear in the media over the coming days....

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Why do we need to wear poppies on our shirts? Don't remember anyone doing this at all until the last few years?

(Now where's that can of worms smilie)

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Is this acceptable?

There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

The rangers had poppies at the weekend. Fine or points deduction?

I'm getting sick to death that every year this is becoming an issue. It's like it's now a must have fashion item. If folk don't wear one they are slaughtered for it in the press! It's down to personal reasons when folk choose not to or want to and it shouldn't make the papers or news.

I'll wear one on my jacket but not for fashion but for a mark of respect which seems to be getting lost in the political rubbish.

I couldn't care less if the person next to me at work doesn't wear one and I'll not be pestering him why either.

Rant over! 😁

@hibs.net private member
    When did this actually start to be a fashion item on a shirt. Can't remember them in 70.'s 80's & 90's

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm getting sick to death that every year this is becoming an issue. It's like it's now a must have fashion item. If folk don't wear one they are slaughtered for it in the press! It's down to personal reasons when folk choose not to or want to and it shouldn't make the papers or news.

I'll wear one on my jacket but not for fashion but for a mark of respect which seems to be getting lost in the political rubbish.

I couldn't care less if the person next to me at work doesn't wear one and I'll not be pestering him why either.

Rant over! 😁
    Yep, same here.

FIFA would be a lot better advised to ban snouts from troughs and stay out of moral issues until they put their own house in order.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Yep, same here.

FIFA would be a lot better advised to ban snouts from troughs and stay out of moral issues until they put their own house in order.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk
    Exactly.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    The rangers had poppies at the weekend. Fine or points deduction?
    They can do that as they are the football club of choice for the armed forces. Fair enough since they are both taxpayer funded!

Obsessed with the Hibees son of haggart's Avatar

Rant over! 😁
    The correct answer - should be a personal choice unless there are special circumstances where the poppy would be appropriate. Even then we should respect people's right to opt out of the event

@hibs.net private member
    This can cant wear poppies is a farce. It's personal choice but for an orginisation like FIFA to come out and say you can't wear a poppies is a disgrace.
    Don't know if FIFA realise there are different coloured Poppies, also on offer if red isn't wanted is White ( for peace) purple ( not sure about) black ( for African and ethnic minorities).

As having served 22 years Royal Navy, I have never once put a poppy on and thought it was just for British Military that died, I have also believed it to be for everyone who died in every conflict., from all religious and walks of life including civilians personal caught up in the conflicts.

They may stop clubs from wearing a poppy but they'll not stop me from wearing one on my Hibs Top.

GGTTH.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    This can cant wear poppies is a farce. It's personal choice but for an orginisation like FIFA to come out and say you can't wear a poppies is a disgrace.
    Don't know if FIFA realise there are different coloured Poppies, also on offer if red isn't wanted is White ( for peace) purple ( not sure about) black ( for African and ethnic minorities).

As having served 22 years Royal Navy, I have never once put a poppy on and thought it was just for British Military that died, I have also believed it to be for everyone who died in every conflict., from all religious and walks of life including civilians personal caught up in the conflicts.

They may stop clubs from wearing a poppy but they'll not stop me from wearing one on my Hibs Top.

GGTTH.
    They aren't specifically targeting poppies. What they have to be careful about is leaving it open for all sorts of gestures which of course the people wanting it can justify but may cause issues.

It's a tricky one so I can see why a blanket ban on this stuff without making individual judgments works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by son of haggart View Post
    The correct answer - should be a personal choice unless there are special circumstances where the poppy would be appropriate. Even then we should respect people's right to opt out of the event

So personal choice should come into it until somebody else decides otherwise?

I do not and never have worn a red poppy. That is my choice and the reasons behind it are personal. People may well infer something into this and invariably they will be wrong, as it's based purely on their own prejudiced view of life.

Forcing me to wear a Poppy if I do not want to is reminiscent of a fascist state.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post

I do not and never have worn a red poppy. That is my choice and the reasons behind it are personal. People may well infer something into this and invariably they will be wrong, as it's based purely on their own prejudiced view of life.

Forcing me to wear a Poppy if I do not want to is reminiscent of a fascist state.
    Tend to agree surely the whole idea of remembering the war dead is that they perceived they were fighting for the very freedom against totalitarianism which this poppy fascism seems to represent.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Tend to agree surely the whole idea of remembering the war dead is that they perceived they were fighting for the very freedom against totalitarianism which this poppy fascism seems to represent.
    Not in the "Great War".

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Not in the "Great War".
    They certainly thought they were fighting for freedom.

First Team Breakthrough
    For once I am with FIFA on this one. People need to look at the wider picture. The poppy is not an international symbol for peace and can be quite a divisive issue (James McLean/Northern Ireland etc).

If FIFA were to allow this how could they stop other countries wearing symbols to commemorate their war dead in conflicts that are a lot closer and more sensitive than the ones we tend to remember (Ukraine/Russia, Serbia/Bosnia/Albania).

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post

No-one has ever been forced to wear a poppy, it has always been a matter of choice. Some dicks criticise folk for not wearing one but you could never be forced to wear one. Your statement seems just as silly as their criticism.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    [/B]No-one has ever been forced to wear a poppy, it has always been a matter of choice. Some dicks criticise folk for not wearing one but you could never be forced to wear one. Your statement seems just as silly as their criticism.
    Incorporating a poppy into a shirt design literally does force the players to wear one though. They are not given any choice in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    They certainly thought they were fighting for freedom.
    Well somebody lied to them.

International football = banned. Club football = not banned.

That article = a load of clickbait *****

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    No-one has ever been forced to wear a poppy, it has always been a matter of choice. Some dicks criticise folk for not wearing one but you could never be forced to wear one. Your statement seems just as silly as their criticism.

It's quite a common affliction to take a comment or statement our of context then judge the person on part of that statement.

Might I suggest reading through the comment I was responding to and then re-read my reply, before you decide that what I said was 'silly'.

Blog Entries

Rant over! 😁
    I agree 100% F. It seems to me that tv presenters now start wearing poppies in mid to late October. If you don't wear one on TV you're subjected to all sorts of abuse which is somewhat ironic as this is the kind of fascist behaviour we fought against!! Even more ironic is that one of the major poppy cheerleaders is the Daily Mail, "Hurrah for the blackshirts" & that last month saw the 80th anniversary of the battle of Cable St. I always donate & usually wear a poppy but I hate the crap around it that's emerged in recent years.

First Team Breakthrough 21.5.16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Not read any links but heard it in the news driving to work.

I assumed it was due to it being international football where FIFA bans any statement of sorts?

Guaranteed the usual James McLean case will appear in the media over the coming days....
    Dont really blame James McClean for not wearing the poppy, he's from Derry members of his family were killed, i dont wear a poppy. But national teams should be able to choose weather they wear the poppy or not and not get abuse for their personal choice

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

The poppy is worn to commemorate the war dead .... the last time I looked soldiers, sailors and airmen from these islands did not and do not have a choice as to where they get sent to fight, that insanity is left to the politicians ... sometimes the politicians are right, sometimes they are very, very, wrong .... but no matter what the armed forces think of their decision they have no choice but to go where they are sent.

The poppy is not worn to glorify war or to show support for the decision to take part in any conflict past or present and if that is becoming more and more seen as not being the case its only because people with an agenda have made it so and have themselves deliberately politicised something that was never intended to be and never has been political, at least not in my lifetime. If people don't want to wear a poppy as a matter of individual choice that's absolutely fine, but leave that choice to them and that includes any Scotland player who doesn't want to wear that shirt ... I'm sure the SFA have more than 11 pink shirts.

FIFA are wrong in this instance and they should butt out and get on with sorting out the bloody shambles they have created for themselves instead of getting entirely the wrong end of the stick regarding a symbol they clearly know nothing about.

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    My understanding is that it's a blanket ban by FIFA on anything added to International shirts (that may, or may not, be conceived as political). The fact that the poppy falls in to that category appears to have been seized on by the papers in order to sensationalise an issue (and probably sell more papers).

It's not FIFA specifically banning the poppy, per se.

I am guessing that each International strip has to be cleared by FIFA prior to release? So it kinda makes sense to do a blanket ban than have to have a "should they, shouldn't they" discussion every time an association wanted to add something to an already accepted strip design.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!