hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar

Player Ratings vs St Mirren

Marciano 6 - Gave him a 6 but it could have been a zero or a ten. I have no idea if he's any good or not, he hardly has anything to do.

Gray 7 - Gets up and down the park, barely makes a mistake, hardly looks troubled either. Fully committed in the challenge again which I love.

McGregor 8 - I'd never go shoulder to shoulder with him, I'd end up in a different postcode. Solid, unruffled and comfortable on the ball.

Fontaine 8 - The Black Beckenbauer. Few strides forward today, again he's untroubled, mopped up well and dominant in the air.

Hanlon 8 - He really is a lovely footballer. Calm, composed and commanding.

Stevenson 7 - Usual. Motors up and down the park and did well to contend with their absolute hammer thrower of a right back.

Fyvie 7 - Threaded things together nicely. Always, always available which I love.

McGinn 6 - In and out of the game, one of his quieter games today.

Shinnie 6 - First class assist for the opener but then proceeded to frustrate me for the remainder of the game. The ball bounces between his ankles, he sometimes carries all the elegance of a new born giraffe and he makes the wrong decisions. Frustrating because I know there's a terrific footballer in there. Never hides though which is a credit to him.

Holt 8 - All the experience in the world. Wins it, holds it and he must be a nightmare to play against. Good goal, tons of headed flick ons and put himself about. Very vocal too.

Boyle 9 - I imagine he leaves Easter Road and runs all the way home. Faster than me in the bedroom, boundless energy and set the tone with his endless enthusiasm. Brilliant.

Lennon - Spot on tactics wise.

All in all, a training session today I feel. If we really set our minds to it we could have scored four or five.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Marciano 6 - Gave him a 6 but it could have been a zero or a ten. I have no idea if he's any good or not, he hardly has anything to do.

Gray 7 - Gets up and down the park, barely makes a mistake, hardly looks troubled either. Fully committed in the challenge again which I love.

McGregor 8 - I'd never go shoulder to shoulder with him, I'd end up in a different postcode. Solid, unruffled and comfortable on the ball.

Fontaine 8 - The Black Beckenbauer. Few strides forward today, again he's untroubled, mopped up well and dominant in the air.

Stevenson 7 - Usual. Motors up and down the park and did well to contend with their absolute hammer thrower of a right back.

Fyvie 7 - Threaded things together nicely. Always, always available which I love.

Shinnie 6 - First class assist for the opener but then proceeded to frustrate me for the remainder of the game. The ball bounces between his ankles, he sometimes carries all the elegance of a new born giraffe and he makes the wrong decisions. Frustrating because I know there's a terrific footballer in there. Never hides though which is a credit to him.

Holt 8 - All the experience in the world. Wins it, holds it and he must be a nightmare to play against. Good goal, tons of headed flick ons and put himself about. Very vocal too.

Boyle 9 - I imagine he leaves Easter Road and runs all the way home. Faster than me in the bedroom, boundless energy and set the tone with his endless enthusiasm. Brilliant.

All in all, a training session today I feel. If we really set our minds to it we could have scored four or five.
    Pretty much agree with that. Boyle was easily the MOM. Apart from an uneasy first couple of minutes the defence strolled the game. How we only scored 2 in the game is quite unbelievable. The biggest concern remains the amount of chances we're missing. Still, another 3 points so onwards and upwards.

Lennon deserves credit for playing Boyle and Holt up top and he certainly got his tactics spot on.

Boyler was fantastic today. Scared their right sided centre back all game and started linking up well with Holty before he was hooked.

Hope he gets his start next week.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Would agree with most of the OP's post but I thought Gray was off his game today, Shinnie was better than he has been lately and Stevenson had a magnificent goal line clearance which hasn't been mentioned

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar

Thanks for putting this up with some good comments. Couldn't make the game unfortunately!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    I like Shinnie, I think he sometimes just needs somebody to making a run off him so that he can feed them. If it's not happening then rather than just play a hopefull ball he'll retain possession, sometimes he'll end up being caught in possession as a result. I imagine he'll divide opinion in the same way that Liam Miller did.

Agree with most of that.
    McGinn is getting marked and fouled out of the game though. It's really tough for him to get anything going but it does show the respect other teams have for him.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Would agree with most of the OP's post but I thought Gray was off his game today, Shinnie was better than he has been lately and Stevenson had a magnificent goal line clearance which hasn't been mentioned
    Agree with that also... oh but id give Hanlon 10/10.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar

Thought Shinnie ran Boyle close for MOM today. Fyvie did really well as usual and Paul Hanlon is quite easily the best central defender the club has had in decades.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbiesandtheBaddies View Post
    Boyler was fantastic today. Scared their right sided centre back all game and started linking up well with Holty before he was hooked.

Hope he gets his start next week.
    Boyle just cemented his place for next week with that performance. Him and Holt we're brilliant together.
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member

Smile

That was Martin Boyles best game for Hibs without doubt. I also thought Fraser Fyvie was immense today - he must touch the ball more than any other Hibs player and therefore he will misplace the odd pass but he never shys away from wanting the ball and I wouldn't like to see our midfield without him.

First Team Regular Highland_Hibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Amusing Munch PSN ID: Amusing_Munch
    Marciano 6 - As OP said hard to judge. Probably best to still be left wondering if you have a good keeper over knowing you have a bad one.

Gray 7 - Tried to do what he could going forward and dealt with his duties at the back.

McGregor 8 - Love this guy, would be a bouncer if he wasn't a footballer. Ain't no one getting in if he says so.

Fontaine 8 - Always makes his presence known when he is on the pitch. Showed composure on the ball too.

Hanlon 7 - Didn't notice much aside from another settled display.

Stevenson 7 - Kept on top of his man despite the stature disadvantage. Got forward whenever he could.

Fyvie 6 - I really didn't see today as one of his better performances. Bit sloppy but still always making himself available.

McGinn 7 - Some nice moves and passes. Again not quite the player we have seen before but we do have a high standard for him.

Shinnie 6 - probably worth at worst a 7 on the first half but a 5 at best in the second. Frustrating as he shows signs of a good player. Got a giggle out of the guy in the East telling him he is not up here on holiday.

Holt 8 - Uses his knowledge very well which makes the poor penalty all the more surprising. Forget that though he put himself about as always and gave Boyle space to run into.

Boyle 9 - Absolutely ran at everything which doesn't always win a player praise. He however looked on to do something every time he did. If he took his other chances I'd say a perfect 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeewilly View Post
    That was Martin Boyles best game for Hibs without doubt. I also thought Fraser Fyvie was immense today - he must touch the ball more than any other Hibs player and therefore he will misplace the odd pass but he never shys away from wanting the ball and I wouldn't like to see our midfield without him.
    Agree, we are lucky to have fyvie, some of the treatment he gets from our own support is bewildering. Excellent football player, works his erse off as well.

Shinnie was easily worth an 8 today. GREAT movement, vision and creativity. Nearly everything positive went through him at some stage

Pretty good summing up so far but would stress that McGinn gets kicked from pillar to post, but that does make room for others.

Marv was pretty impressive when he came on, certain starter for me away from home.

Oh, and zero out of ten for another dickhead referee. Just have a look at the foul count AGAIN! How their number 5 didn't have first go at the hot water first is beyond me. Refs really need to get to grips with the hammer throwers.

Usually like to give my own marks, but this is pretty well exactly what I would have said

If that was Gray off his game it just proves how good he is! Three at the back let him get up and down the pitch even more than usual, so sorry to disagree with you cause I thought he was great today!
    Also we had a good few chances but fair play to Langfield in making some crucial saves, or it would have been 5 or 6.

First Team Regular
    Shinnie was man of the match up until the 60th minute where everything he touched just went horribly wrong. If he plays like he did first half we have a new Scott Allan, second half performance I wouldn't start him.

I enjoyed the match and thought the whole team did well in general but noone really deserved more than 7 given weakness of opposition , chances missed by strikers and easy chances St Mirren also missed . Gray and Stevenson are struggling to find form ( Gray was the same last spring till final ) and Holt and Boyle played well but also missed crucial chances .

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Agree with most of that.
    McGinn is getting marked and fouled out of the game though. It's really tough for him to get anything going but it does show the respect other teams have for him.
    Wasn't there today but in the second half last week thought he was outstanding. And was with a non-Hibs supporter last week who thought he was outstanding full stop. Maybe we're too used to him being very good..?

I also have it on very good authority (a teacher pal of his teacher mum) that he's been having some kind of foot problem this season. So he's not 100% compared to last season.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QMU-1875 View Post
    Shinnie was man of the match up until the 60th minute where everything he touched just went horribly wrong. If he plays like he did first half we have a new Scott Allan, second half performance I wouldn't start him.
    Shinnie? Think his link up play is good, always looking for the ball at throw ins etc. Agree his 2nd half was a bit frustrating.

It's funny, I was getting annoyed with McGinn but have come to appreciate all the dirty work he is doing this season.

As for Fyvie? He's my player of the season so far in a midfield formation I really really like.

This 352 system really works well for us at the moment.

First Team Regular
    Have to agree with some of the above posts about fyvie , played a bit myself in his position and it's not the easiest he just constantly wants the ball ,and sometimes he's gonna lose it but we've just got to put up with it , but he's very important to us big time

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Pretty good summing up so far but would stress that McGinn gets kicked from pillar to post, but that does make room for others.

Marv was pretty impressive when he came on, certain starter for me away from home.

Oh, and zero out of ten for another dickhead referee. Just have a look at the foul count AGAIN! How their number 5 didn't have first go at the hot water first is beyond me. Refs really need to get to grips with the hammer throwers.
    Marv was lucky to stay on the pitch. Should have had a red card for laughing at the crowd

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    I enjoyed the match and thought the whole team did well in general but noone really deserved more than 7 given weakness of opposition , chances missed by strikers and easy chances St Mirren also missed . Gray and Stevenson are struggling to find form ( Gray was the same last spring till final ) and Holt and Boyle played well but also missed crucial chances .
    This is the most accurate summary I've seen. Gray and Stevenson were quite poor by the standards we know they can achieve.

As for the 3-4-3 formation..... We are not getting better width going forward from Gray and Lewis and we don't look any safer defending corners with our zonal marking, so basically what's the point? I would rather see Boyle playing wide with 2 forwards up and 4 at the back.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    .... and we don't look any safer defending corners with our zonal marking, so basically what's the point?....
    I don't like zonal.......but we have conceded 6 goals in 11 league matches. That is by a stretch the best in the league.

We are worried about that month long spell without a win, and our goal scoring drying up. But we have won more games and scored the same number as our nearest challengers.

League tables (esp goal difference) rarely lie.

We are in good shape and in my opinion are only going to improve.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Wish they would drop this zonal marking it will invariably cost us valuable points over the season

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Regarding Marciano will admit he's hardly been tested but will say that he never seems to really spill anything, nearly every shot he stops sticks to him.

[QUOTE=Lee Marvin;4847780]Shinnie was easily worth an 8 today. GREAT movement, vision and creativity. Nearly everything positive went through him at some

IMO Shinnie and Boyle were our best performers in the first half today with Holt and Fyvie not far behind.

Shinnie I think will get better and better for us. However he did fade a bit in the second half and I thought Boyle deserved MoM.

I feel that McGinn is playing a little deeper now and doing a slightly different job with Shinnie in the team and that's one of the reasons he is less prominent.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    It's funny all about opinions but I thought shinnie was hopless

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hanlon strolled through the game....Superb.

Some good performances all round....
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull