Thread: Boxing!

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eddie Hearn seems keen on that fight.
    Could be a cracker, hope it happens

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Khan is chinny but I wouldn’t go as far as saying he has a glass jaw.

He got splatted by the best fighter on the planet, (in a division he should never have been campaigning at) and KO’d by the biggest puncher in the division when fighting at his natural weight.

Can’t see Khan taking the fight anyway. Not interested in being a boxer anymore IMO.

Realistically, I’d like to see Benn in with Aveneseyan who beat Josh Kelly last month.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post

He got splatted by the best fighter on the planet, (in a division he should never have been campaigning at) and KO’d by the biggest puncher in the division when fighting at his natural weight.

Can’t see Khan taking the fight anyway. Not interested in being a boxer anymore IMO.

Realistically, I’d like to see Benn in with Aveneseyan who beat Josh Kelly last month.
    I'd prefer to see him fight for the British belt first so ideally a fight with Jenkins will be next

Think he’s went beyond British level now to be honest. But it wouldn’t surprise me if Hearn is looking to get some more rounds in him before a challenge at a higher level. He barely broke a sweat last night
    Last edited by MagicSwirlingShip; 11-04-2021 at 10:51 AM.

I was at a few of Benns early fights on Glasgow and Manchester and have followed his career pretty closely as a result.

He's improved almost beyond all recognition. He always had that KO power but he's carried it up as he has moved through the levels and looks a much tighter fighter now. I love that willingness to learn and improve in any sport.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Really want to see him do well but the Welterweight division is so stacked. Think he might struggle past European level but hope he can continue to improve.

Jaron Ennis for example looked spectacular last night in his win against Lipinets. He’s tapping the door at the Top 10 and looks a much more well rounded fighter than Benn.

I think Khan’s main weakness was an inability to concentrate and follow instructions from his corner. Even Freddie Roach couldn’t help him with that.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I think Khan’s main weakness was an inability to concentrate and follow instructions from his corner. Even Freddie Roach couldn’t help him with that.
    Yeah, that and not staying in the gym between camps towards the end of his career. Virgil Hunter really tore into him for that.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Plus the fact he barely fights now. Hasn’t fought for two years and 4 times in 5 years. No idea why anyone would want to go chasing him when he’s not interested in boxing now.

I couldn't sleep last night so ended up watching the Jake Paul v Ben Askren fight.

It was ugly then it was over. My take away though is that Paul knows how to box and can bang. Askren was never a striker in MMA, he was a grappler and was in there for a quick pay day. They need to stop Paul fighting non boxers though because he has the potentially to seriously hurt someone, it's not a game. If he wants to be a boxer (and he seems willing to put the work in) then he needs to fight other boxers.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I couldn't sleep last night so ended up watching the Jake Paul v Ben Askren fight.

It was ugly then it was over. My take away though is that Paul knows how to box and can bang. Askren was never a striker in MMA, he was a grappler and was in there for a quick pay day. They need to stop Paul fighting non boxers though because he has the potentially to seriously hurt someone, it's not a game. If he wants to be a boxer (and he seems willing to put the work in) then he needs to fight other boxers.
    Just finished watching on YouTube just out of intrigue. But embarrassing for Regis Prograis that he’s on the undercard of this freak show.
    Paul does need to fight some boxers as I’m desperate for him to get banged out. He’s a horrible character.

Liam Williams put up a decent display against Demetrius Andrade last night. Looked like it was gonna be over in a couple of rounds but Williams gathered himself and gave Andrade a fight. Andrade even had to resort to a lot of holding which the referee should’ve warned him about but never.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

Not so sure he can bang, a half decent boxer wouldn't have went down with that punch in my opinion, looks good against the 3 guys he has fought though ill give you that, I honestly think a top amateur would beat him

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Just finished watching on YouTube just out of intrigue. But embarrassing for Regis Prograis that he’s on the undercard of this freak show.
    Paul does need to fight some boxers as I’m desperate for him to get banged out. He’s a horrible character.

Liam Williams put up a decent display against Demetrius Andrade last night. Looked like it was gonna be over in a couple of rounds but Williams gathered himself and gave Andrade a fight. Andrade even had to resort to a lot of holding which the referee should’ve warned him about but never.

I've watched a fair few of Liam williams fights over the years. A very hard bloke! Can certainly take a punch but probably doesn't have the technical ability to make it to elite level.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    Not so sure he can bang, a half decent boxer wouldn't have went down with that punch in my opinion, looks good against the 3 guys he has fought though ill give you that, I honestly think a top amateur would beat him
    There lies the intrigue.

Until he fights a legit professional boxer we're not going to know. In his post fight interview Paul is going on asking how many times he has to prove himself.

Well Jake, people are always going to question you until you step up a proper pro and have a proper boxing match.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post

Prograis got £850k as a base salary for the fight which was the highest on the card excluding what Paul would have got for PPV on top of his, was probably watched by more people than his previous fights as well, I don't like it one bit but can certainly see why he did it

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Fantastic new Lennox Lewis film available on Sky Documentaries. What an absolute legend the guy is. Exactly how a world champion should conduct himself. For me, he’s the GOAT of my time. Privileged to have been at Cardiff Arms Park in the pudding rain for the Bruno fight (and Calzage’s debut).

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    World title fight at featherweight Edwards v Mthalane developing into a good fight. Edwards started well. Mthalane is a good well proven champ though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    World title fight at featherweight Edwards v Mthalane developing into a good fight. Edwards started well. Mthalane is a good well proven champ though.
    If Edwards can continue boxing on the back foot at this pace for 12 he deserves the win.

Mthalane needs to hurt him, soon.

If Edwards can continue boxing on the back foot at this pace for 12 he deserves the win.

Mthalane needs to hurt him, soon.
    Think Mthalane needs to knock Edwards out. he's more than capable but Edwards has done really really well so far.

Well done Sunny Edwards, he must have won that. Great performance against a very good champion.

Pretty much a masterclass from Edwards, great performance there

Taylor v Jonas has been a cracker.

I'd watch them do this again whoever wins it.

Taylor takes it. The right decision. Just.

Thought Campbell Hatton looked much improved from his debut earlier. Much cleaner and more measured. Still guilty of jumping in a bit and got caught a couple of times but that will come.

Chisora v Parker up next. Could be the last time we see Chisora. I've always liked him so hope he shows up and if he does go out it's with a bang.

That was an absolute cracker, I want to see a rematch of that for sure

What a start from Chisora. Knockdown in the 1st 10 seconds.

This could really take off soon

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Parker is a ****ing pussy, he’s by a far way the best boxer here, but yet again he’s failing to show what he’s got.

United we stand here....

I've enjoyed this.

Chisora isn't subtle but he's entertaining. Parker is by far the better boxer technically but he doesn't seem to know how to or rather doesn't want to deal with Chisora style.

I've enjoyed this.

Chisora isn't subtle but he's entertaining. Parker is by far the better boxer technically but he doesn't seem to know how to or rather doesn't want to deal with Chisora style.
    He was the same with Whyte, he can't handle someone rough and rugged, he seems gun-shy since his losses too

Can still see him winning this late though

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Parker is controlling this fight, I just wish he’d take the next step and knock chisora out.

United we stand here....