hibs.net Messageboard

Page 45 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 3444

Thread: Boxing!

Looks to me like Joshua made the same mistake Lewis did all those years ago against Rahman. He was totally gassed very early and maybe didn't take his opponent, and thus his training, seriously enough. All he has spoken about in the build up to this fight is future plans, what's next and so on.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Didnt watch the fight but was it really a shock as being reported? I've always thought AJ was overhyped with a glass chin just waiting for someone to knock him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didnt watch the fight but was it really a shock as being reported? I've always thought AJ was overhyped with a glass chin just waiting for someone to knock him out.
    AJ has taken some absolute crackers from some proper units.
    He can take a punch.

The last 2 minutes were pathetic from him though.

The oppo had a bigger roll over his shorts than I do!

I think it's harsh to suggest AJ has a glass chin. He's taken some huge shots from monstrous punchers like Klitschko and Povetkin and steered his way through those fights. I think that's also a huge disservice to Ruiz. He didn't beat AJ with a couple of big punches; he consistently showed quicker hands, beat him to the punch, counterpunched beautifully and got his tactics spot on.

On the general point of AJ being overrated then yes I'd agree with that. I've argued on here for some time that Tyson Fury is a better boxer than Joshua and I've always stood by that. I like Joshua and I was impressed by the maturity he showed against Parker but he's limited. I think he needs to go away and look at everything he does, including his trainer and promoter, and work out what he does if he can't land those big punches. I mentioned Lennox Lewis earlier in the thread and he did exactly that. After he lost to Oliver McCall he sought out Emanuel Steward who developed his defence, developed his jab and Steward elevated him from good heavyweight to all time great. I don't think it would do Joshua any harm to consider a change of scenery and a step out of his comfort zone.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    It's certainly a huge shock. In the build up, nobody in the media I heard speak countenanced a Ruiz win. He was a stand in opponent and, let's be honest, is in very poor physical shape for a pro boxer, particularly one in a world title fight. Massive upset, though I don't know what the bookies odds were.

You have to wonder how such a defeat will affect Joshua mentally in the remainder of his career. Losing is one thing; taking a good hiding from someone like Ruiz is quite another. He wouldn't be human if it doesn't leave mental scars.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    It's certainly a huge shock. In the build up, nobody in the media I heard speak countenanced a Ruiz win. He was a stand in opponent and, let's be honest, is in very poor physical shape for a pro boxer, particularly one in a world title fight. Massive upset, though I don't know what the bookies odds were.

You have to wonder how such a defeat will affect Joshua mentally in the remainder of his career. Losing is one thing; taking a good hiding from someone like Ruiz is quite another. He wouldn't be human if it doesn't leave mental scars.
    Ruiz doesn't look the part but he must be deceptively fit.

He walked Joshua down for 7 rounds and looked by far the fresher man in there. I've not see much of him but apparently that stalking style is his trademark.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Ruiz doesn't look the part but he must be deceptively fit.

He walked Joshua down for 7 rounds and looked by far the fresher man in there. I've not see much of him but apparently that stalking style is his trademark.
    True, he must be fitter than he looks. He's several stone overweight.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member
    Can't say I'm shocked.

Just watched it, Dillian Whyte will tear up that bum Ruiz.

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    The thing that jumps out is that there are 4 or 5 top heavyweights capable of beating each other in that division. Its about time all the talk stopped and these fights were made.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    True, he must be fitter than he looks. He's several stone overweight.
    19 stone 2!!

Though he's only about 2 stone heavier than Joshua. Just that Joshua is pure muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Can't say I'm shocked.

Just watched it, Dillian Whyte will tear up that bum Ruiz.
    Guys the unified HW champion and he just battered AJ stupid. What makes you think whyte will do any better?

Left by mutual consent!
    I think it's harsh to suggest AJ has a glass chin. He's taken some huge shots from monstrous punchers like Klitschko and Povetkin and steered his way through those fights. I think that's also a huge disservice to Ruiz. He didn't beat AJ with a couple of big punches; he consistently showed quicker hands, beat him to the punch, counterpunched beautifully and got his tactics spot on.

On the general point of AJ being overrated then yes I'd agree with that. I've argued on here for some time that Tyson Fury is a better boxer than Joshua and I've always stood by that. I like Joshua and I was impressed by the maturity he showed against Parker but he's limited. I think he needs to go away and look at everything he does, including his trainer and promoter, and work out what he does if he can't land those big punches. I mentioned Lennox Lewis earlier in the thread and he did exactly that. After he lost to Oliver McCall he sought out Emanuel Steward who developed his defence, developed his jab and Steward elevated him from good heavyweight to all time great. I don't think it would do Joshua any harm to consider a change of scenery and a step out of his comfort zone.
    he's taken huge shots yes and they've stunned him. Nobody had taken advantage though and put him away. One thing he certainly seemed to have (up to now) was the ability to come back and win. I thought the referee nursed him through the Parker fight, pulling them apart anytime Parker got close.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Looks to me like Joshua made the same mistake Lewis did all those years ago against Rahman. He was totally gassed very early and maybe didn't take his opponent, and thus his training, seriously enough. All he has spoken about in the build up to this fight is future plans, what's next and so on.
    Exactly like Lewis v Rahman 1 when Lennox was too busy filming Oceans 11 in the weeks before the fight, AJ was too busy swanning around Miami with Rory McIlroy instead of taking the fight seriously.
    Mon the fatties! Turned out to be the best thing to happen to Lennox but not sure we’ll say the same for AJ. He’s nowhere near the boxer Lennox was.

Maybe this will stop them avoiding fights when the fans want them to try build the hype for 2 years. The funniest thing is Wilder probably lost the most by AJ getting skelped.

10/10 to Fast Eddie though. His interview after the fight was spot on.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    Guys the unified HW champion and he just battered AJ stupid. What makes you think whyte will do any better?
    Whyte's style.

Was there not something about Lewis not going to wherever that fight was held until only a couple of weeks prior to the fight and struggled to get used to the altitude thus he was gulping for air early doors?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    AJ totally underestimated Ruiz, he turned up and expected to be able to pick a round to win in, and paid the price for doing so.

I don't think Ruiz is a better boxer than AJ, but the old adage that hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard couldn't be more apt than in this case.

I would expect AJ to comfortably win the rematch, with the caveat that Ruiz will have a puncher's chance, as he did on Sunday morning.

Ruiz more than deserved the win, and if you knew nothing about either fighter you'd think he was at least one level above AJ on that fight alone, but I think a fully focused and motivated AJ would beat Ruiz more often than not.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    I think more respect has to be paid to the quality of Ruiz’s chin. He took a savage shot and it seemed to galvanise him. Clearly the last thing AJ expected as he dived in looking for the finish when he should’ve got back behind his jab and waited for another opening.

If anything I’d say Wilder’s savage KO the other week played on Joshuas mind more than anything. AJ paid the price for diving in looking for the finish, that shot he took to the top of the head / above the ear in the 3rd round changed the fight and he never recovered - this happens in heavyweight boxing.

Fully expect AJ to regroup and win the rematch by doing what he should have done in the first place, keeping the distance long, using his reach, peppering Ruiz with the jab, grinding him down. Instead he tried to trade with a seasoned hooker who was the smaller target , bad move

GGG looked devastating on the offence last night. Those overhand rights and then the massive left hook to finish it were savage.

On the other side he did take a few more shots than usual and I wonder if age is maybe just catching up with him.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    GGG looked devastating on the offence last night. Those overhand rights and then the massive left hook to finish it were savage.

On the other side he did take a few more shots than usual and I wonder if age is maybe just catching up with him.
    I think it's exactly that, age catching up, I thought he won the first fight with Canelo and lost the second, don't think he'd win a 3rd either, real shame it didn't happen a few years back but think Golden Boy knew this and have been cute with the timings of them

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    Was there not something about Lewis not going to wherever that fight was held until only a couple of weeks prior to the fight and struggled to get used to the altitude thus he was gulping for air early doors?
    Yep, poor preparation was blamed.

Just saw a few clips of Tyson Furys press conference and media workout.

He looks in very impressive shape, the transformation is really quite amazing. He looks a lot better than the Wilder fight which was a remarkable weight loss in itself.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Just saw a few clips of Tyson Furys press conference and media workout.

He looks in very impressive shape, the transformation is really quite amazing. He looks a lot better than the Wilder fight which was a remarkable weight loss in itself.
    A fully fit Tyson Fury is the best heavyweight on the planet imo. It’s so rare for a heavyweight to have the boxing skills he possesses. It’s whether he’ll get another chance is the big question, no one will want to fight him. He’ll be the mandatory opponent for a title if he wins, but that means nothing these days.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I didn’t realise until I heard just now on BT that Connor Law had passed away. Sad news at just 26 and a decent prospect unbeaten in 13 pro fights.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    couple of fights live on BBC scotland channel @ 10:50 pm tonight

IBO womens super welterweight title fight, Scotlands Hannah Rankin taking on sarah curran from USA

and Livingstons Martin Taylor v Ahmed abrahim, Scottish super-lightweight title fight

Championship Boxing: Hannah Rankin v Sarah Curran

Alison Walker introduces live coverage of the IBO women's world super-welterweight title fight as Scotland's Hannah Rankin takes on Sarah Curran from the USA.
    Plus, action from Ahmed Ibrahim v Martin Taylor in the Scottish super-lightweight title fight. Commentary is by Alex Arthur and Nick Halling.

Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 15-06-2019 at 09:12 PM.

@hibs.net private member Benny Brazil's Avatar
    Warrington v Galahad up on BT Sport now - could be a good one

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    well done Hannah Rankin, Scotland's first women's boxing world champion

Deserved win for Josh Warrington

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Boatman View Post
    Deserved win for Josh Warrington
    As much as I think he's a wee prick and was holding too much I thought Galahad should have won or a draw at the very least

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    As much as I think he's a wee prick and was holding too much I thought Galahad should have won or a draw at the very least
    He just didn’t do enough to take the title from the holder.

Gypsy King rocking the stars and bars, quality