hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Stokes and Henderson

I don't really keep tabs on any football other than Hibs these days so just wondered if anyone's been keeping an eye on how two of our key men in the Scottish Cup final are doing this season?

While I don't ever expect to see Stokes back at ER, I do wonder if his presence in the team last season was more important than some thought at the time. Obviously he earned our undying affection with a fantastic Scottish Cup final performance but there was certainly some disappointment that he didn't weigh in with more goals during the league campaign. However, in hindsight I feel he brought something to the side which we seem to lack at present.

Henderson I would have back at Hibs in a flash. Is he anywhere near the first team at Celtic? I know we had an endless 'is he, isn't he' thread about him coming back on loan over the summer but I think he's a must for the January window if available. What I always liked about him was the urgency and never say die spirit he brought with him. He really seemed to care about playing for Hibs and is also a very fine young player.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't really keep tabs on any football other than Hibs these days so just wondered if anyone's been keeping an eye on how two of our key men in the Scottish Cup final are doing this season?

While I don't ever expect to see Stokes back at ER, I do wonder if his presence in the team last season was more important than some thought at the time. Obviously he earned our undying affection with a fantastic Scottish Cup final performance but there was certainly some disappointment that he didn't weigh in with more goals during the league campaign. However, in hindsight I feel he brought something to the side which we seem to lack at present.

Henderson I would have back at Hibs in a flash. Is he anywhere near the first team at Celtic? I know we had an endless 'is he, isn't he' thread about him coming back on loan over the summer but I think he's a must for the January window if available. What I always liked about him was the urgency and never say die spirit he brought with him. He really seemed to care about playing for Hibs and is also a very fine young player.
    Henderson got some game time pre season but I don't think he's making the subs bench now.

Stokes scored in a couple of Blackburns early season league games but has dissapeared completely so can only assume he's injured.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Henderson got some game time pre season but I don't think he's making the subs bench now.

Stokes scored in a couple of Blackburns early season league games but has dissapeared completely so can only assume he's injured.
    I was wondering about him too, noticed he wasn't playing.
    Interesting that both Stokes and Henderson came along to watch us on Sunday

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I was wondering about him too, noticed he wasn't playing.
    Interesting that both Stokes and Henderson came along to watch us on Sunday
    Just checked and stokes has indeed been injured but played and scored in a reserve game last week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Regular Salt N Sauzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post

Henderson's only made 2 substitute appearances for Celtic this season. Doesn't seem to fit into Rogers plans. I, like all of us, would love to see him back at ER. The move makes sense for all involved. Can't help but feel his talent is being wasted by Celtic.

First Team Breakthrough since90plustwo's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FIN1875
    Hibs pulled the plug on the hendo deal when celtic asked for 100k if we get promoted. Apparently the deal was done then the unwashed chucked that in at the last minute. Shambles

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastHibs View Post
    Hibs pulled the plug on the hendo deal when celtic asked for 100k if we get promoted. Apparently the deal was done then the unwashed chucked that in at the last minute. Shambles
    I really doubt Celtic would suddenly decide they needed another 100k. That's nothing to them.

Blog Entries
    Henderson said that he simply wouldn't entertain going out on loan again. I feel for the guy as he deserves a game in some team or other every week but he's cut his nose off to spite his face IMO.

He was at ER on Sunday sitting next to Leigh Griffiths in the West Upper.

Seen Stokes before the game aswell, he was hanging around outside the east stand

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I really doubt Celtic would suddenly decide they needed another 100k. That's nothing to them.

They didn't. Henderson was/is the sticking point in all this. Celtic were willing for him to come to us for another season-long loan however Henderson refused saying he didn't want another loan deal and would prefer a permanent transfer deal.
    Hibs were quoted the figure it would take but , for whatever reason, didn't pursue the matter any further. I hope Henderson sees sense and joins us in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Auld Git View Post
    They didn't. Henderson was/is the sticking point in all this. Celtic were willing for him to come to us for another season-long loan however Henderson refused saying he didn't want another loan deal and would prefer a permanent transfer deal.
    Hibs were quoted the figure it would take but , for whatever reason, didn't pursue the matter any further. I hope Henderson sees sense and joins us in January.
    Probably the lack of money in the club, plus the fact the board were expecting a big fine for the Cup Final pitch invasion. But, with the fine not happening and the extra 5000-6000 on average ticket sales per game at Easter Road, hopefully we invest a bit in the playing squad.

Hopefully Hendo has now seen that hes not wanted at Celtic and would be welcome back here or would atleast get game time here.

Quote Originally Posted by JDHibs View Post
    Probably the lack of money in the club, plus the fact the board were expecting a big fine for the Cup Final pitch invasion. But, with the fine not happening and the extra 5000-6000 on average ticket sales per game at Easter Road, hopefully we invest a bit in the playing squad.

Hopefully Hendo has now seen that hes not wanted at Celtic and would be welcome back here or would atleast get game time here.

My thoughts exactly, waste of talent the laddie not playing week in - week out. Fingers crossed for Jan window.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt N Sauzee View Post
    Henderson's only made 2 substitute appearances for Celtic this season. Doesn't seem to fit into Rogers plans. I, like all of us, would love to see him back at ER. The move makes sense for all involved. *Can't help but feel his talent is being wasted by Celtic.*
    Where have we heard that before

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Would love to see him come back.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Stokes was at the game on Sunday
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Like everyone else, I am a great admirer of Henderson and his up-and-at-em attitude. He remains a legend.
    But, the fact is that even with him we failed to deliver often enough and fell away badly in our league campaign last season.
    This season we are, again, struggling to score goals - even with possibly the best midfield outwith Celtic.
    If he could bring goals or lots of assists then there might be an argument to try to bring him back. But the problem, for me, runs deeper - I believe that if lennon continues with the same formations and tactics ( as per Stubbs) that we will continue to labour our way to one or two goals victories maximum and that the inclusion of Henderson will make little difference to the actual results and scorelines.
    We need pace and drive and penetration down the wings, accurate crosses into the box attacked by 3 or 4 players and not soley Cummings and/or keatings.
    I believe that those 3 or 4 players could be anyone from midfield and central defence. We surely have the talent at our disposal without having to go looking to reintroduce Henderson. Don't get me wrong. I personally would love to see Henderson return, but we need to get an effective automatic promotion winning strategy and game in place before all else.
    Last edited by Hi Heid Yin; 05-10-2016 at 02:11 AM.

First Team Regular Salt N Sauzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    Where have we heard that before
    Scott Allan & Derek Riordan to name the first two off the top of my head?

It does seem unlikely but apparently it is what happened.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoxburghHibs View Post
    It does seem unlikely but apparently it is what happened.
    It would make sense as to why Celtic gave him some game time towards the end of the transfer window. Show us he "wasn't" completely out their plans.

I honestly believe that Hibs would've agreed upon a promotion clause though but perhaps that's me being naive. I'd certainly hope they would in order to get him in.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    It would make sense as to why Celtic gave him some game time towards the end of the transfer window. Show us he "wasn't" completely out their plans.

I honestly believe that Hibs would've agreed upon a promotion clause though but perhaps that's me being naive. I'd certainly hope they would in order to get him in.
    What I was told (and this is only what I heard so could be utter baws) is that Lennon pulled the plug. He was annoyed as Celtic asked for extra money after they had agreed on a deal and at the last minute.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    It would seem that lennon is not prepared to be messed about regarding transfers.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoxburghHibs View Post
    What I was told (and this is only what I heard so could be utter baws) is that Lennon pulled the plug. He was annoyed as Celtic asked for extra money after they had agreed on a deal and at the last minute.
    Fair enough. I'd hope we'll be going back in for him in January.

Quote Originally Posted by staunchhibby View Post
    It would seem that lennon is not prepared to be messed about regarding transfers.
    A good thing despite me saying I'd hope they would agree to it

henderson enthusiasm

Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    Fair enough. I'd hope we'll be going back in for him in January.

A good thing despite me saying I'd hope they would agree to it
    Seems according to Celtic web site he is a first team player ,so in the pool but not playing much...same old sad story good wages no game play a waste of talent.He was and is exactly what we need ,he has drive and enthusiasm with great ability...but you need to pay for that, Hibs management badly failed to recognise that with Lee Griffiths and now we see it again sadly money priorities make it hard for us it seems...although remember if we had signed Lee we could have had him for 2 more years and sell him at a huge profit thereafter..so why not the same with Liam?
    First we need out of this league then a total revamp of players and budgets will for sure be required...

We were screaming out for Henderson on Sunday, he would have done serious damage down the left side. Hanlon got in to good space but isn't a wing back. Their is no pojnt in having guys like Holt and Graham if you don't have Hendo feeding them!

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Why ask for a fee at all then if £100,000 is nothing.

What the guy posted is correct.

Hibs had negotiated the price over August down by £100,000. The transfer was due to go through on deadline day but then Celtic brought in the £100,000 if Hibs got promoted this season.

Hibs pulled the plug at this point.

Liam didn't want to go back out on loan to anyone but was prepared to move to Hibs on a permanent deal.

Quote Originally Posted by familyman View Post
    Seems according to Celtic web site he is a first team player ,so in the pool but not playing much...same old sad story good wages no game play a waste of talent.He was and is exactly what we need ,he has drive and enthusiasm with great ability...but you need to pay for that, Hibs management badly failed to recognise that with Lee Griffiths and now we see it again sadly money priorities make it hard for us it seems...although remember if we had signed Lee we could have had him for 2 more years and sell him at a huge profit thereafter..so why not the same with Liam?
    First we need out of this league then a total revamp of players and budgets will for sure be required...

Rob Petrie failed badly, I spoke to Leigh's father shortly afterwards and he told me Petrie went to Wolves and offered £50k...yes £50k and was laughed at and literally shown the door, he said Leigh was all set to sign but instead signed for an extra year before Celtic got him in January.

Thankfully Rod has nothing to do with negotiations now but the Henderson deal is exactly he way Scoopboy says happened, Celtic changed he deal at the last minute, trying to screw us for more money.

We need pace, width and goals from midfield.

Love henderson but he isn't the answer to the question right now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Looking at Hibs on Sunday I thought - what are we missing?

Answer: Stokes and Henderson.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Rob Petrie failed badly, I spoke to Leigh's father shortly afterwards and he told me :
    Petrie went to Wolves and offered £50k...yes £50k and was laughed at and literally shown the door, he said Leigh was all set to sign but instead signed for an extra year before Celtic got him in January.

Thankfully Rod has nothing to do with negotiations now but the Henderson deal is exactly he way Scoopboy says happened, Celtic changed he deal at the last minute, trying to screw us for more money.
    If true, that's a brilliant piece of business by the Tache. Duh!
    Jeez, what would Leigh have been worth to us in terms of goal (& therefore points), attendances and possibly future transfer value?
    No wonder Wolves chased the Scrooge.