hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: John mcginn

John mcginn

I thought he was head and shoulders above anyone on the park today.. We need to go up or he is gone.. No complaints.. Class act..

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Another game when the Hibs midfield did not score.
    We seem to have a good bunch of box to box midfielders but dont have any goalscorers.

How can super J help us win games and score some goals.

At the level we are playing guys like super J should aim for at least 6 possibly 10 goals a season

Thoughts??

Quote Originally Posted by PompeyHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another game when the Hibs midfield did not score.
    We seem to have a good bunch of box to box midfielders but dont have any goalscorers.

How can super J help us win games and score some goals.

At the level we are playing guys like super J should aim for at least 6 possibly 10 goals a season

Thoughts??
    Agree.. That would put the final touches to his game.. I believe it will happen.. Keeper had a very good stop from him in the 2nd half.. And he is putting himself in better scoring positions..

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by murray26 View Post
    Agree.. That would put the final touches to his game.. I believe it will happen.. Keeper had a very good stop from him in the 2nd half.. And he is putting himself in better scoring positions..
    Im hoping that he adds the goals to his game as that would benefit us but i also think that would establish him in the Scotland team. He would be the new Scott Brown or even better.

As a group the Hibs midfield somehow need to chip in with goals, we hardly score

Left by mutual consent!
    Quality player. Needs someone with a bit of magic beside him to fully get the best out of him, someone who is better at unlocking defences and scoring. He definitely has the ability to do both but we need someone to alleviate that pressure on him.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Quality player. Needs someone with a bit of magic beside him to fully get the best out of him, someone who is better at unlocking defences and scoring. He definitely has the ability to do both but we need someone to alleviate that pressure on him.
    10/10

Left by mutual consent!
    No offence mate, but you're typical of this site. All answers with no tangible solutions.

Who knows? not me. I never lost control. You're face to face with the man who sold the world.

Bla bla bla bla.

First Team Regular Highland_Hibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Amusing Munch PSN ID: Amusing_Munch
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergye View Post
    No offence mate, but you're typical of this site. All answers with no tangible solutions.

Who knows? not me. I never lost control. You're face to face with the man who sold the world.

Bla bla bla bla.
    Ehh? The man just said we need a goal scoring midfielder in a round about way. Which we do BTW. Our midfield is gash at contributing to the scoresheet. Truth hurts.

With McGinn's close control and drive I would like to see him take on a more forward role. Think someone like Eden Hazard. You see him getting into the box creating panic all the time.

We have plenty players suited to centre mid. Could do worse than affording McGinn some time in an advanced position on the left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by murray26 View Post
    I thought he was head and shoulders above anyone on the park today.. We need to go up or he is gone.. No complaints.. Class act..
    Agree sort of, but i think he is one of the main players i expect more from - eith his ability, he should ne stamping his authority all over matches and he needs to add more goals.

Mcginn is a real talent no doubt but until he adds some goals to his locker he isn't going to attract top clubs...like the rest of the midfield his lack of goals is our achilles heel at present

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Mcginn is a real talent no doubt but until he adds some goals to his locker he isn't going to attract top clubs...like the rest of the midfield his lack of goals is our achilles heel at present

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Make no mistake he is attracting attention already, and they don't care he is not scoring goals at the moment. Some of the greatest midfielders in the world past and present weren't prolific goalscorers.

Left by mutual consent!

Bla bla bla bla.
    Deary me.

Did you not post on here before as Sauzeesteeth?

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Shinnie should be the attacking goal scoring midfielder we need. He was hopeless against Ayr so rightly dropped yesterday. Hoping for much more from him.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Shinnie should be the attacking goal scoring midfielder we need. He was hopeless against Ayr so rightly dropped yesterday. Hoping for much more from him.
    He was, but for whatever reason the whole team was off form v Ayr. It reminded me of that horror show v Morton last season.

My hope is that we are shaking these habits out the system, and the one positive is that Lennon seems happy to drop a non performing player........ something Stubbs never really did (Oxley aside)

@hibs.net private member
    Two things:

1) What instructions is Lennon giving Mcginn? Maybe he's being told to stay further back and not get into the box? It feels to me that he's been shooting a lot more this season, albeit from quite far out.

2) I think there is more pressure on him due to his clear talent but also because no one else in that central midfield position (Mcgeough, Mcginn, Fyvie and Bartley) look even close to scoring so John gets all the expectation centred on him. As others have alluded to he needs someone else who can play further forward. Hoping Shinnie is that player but his form has been mixed so far.

Someone else posted a stat earlier on his goalscoring record at St Mirren and it was poor. I'm less convinced his lack of goals is down to him being a young player developing and more that it's just not in his game.
    Last edited by neil7908; 25-09-2016 at 10:20 AM.

First Team Regular
    We really need both strikers that play to be scoring goals regularly and not bring solely reliant on Cummings. Especially when there next to no goals coming from midfield.

Bla bla bla bla.
    What on earth are you talking about?

Jason Holt has scored 13 goals in 50 games for Rangers. McGinn has managed 4 in 98 for St Mirren and 5 in 52 for Hibs.

We need a goalscoring midfielder but I'm not sure it's going to be McGinn, it doesn't seem to be a part of his game.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

Bla bla bla bla.
    Equally no offence but if the point of your comment is about non value clichés then right back at you.

Spot on mate.

We've been playing Bartley and Fyvie together - both are good players but neither are real creators.
    Add to that we have full backs trying to play as wing backs and we're expecting Shinnie and McGinn to do all the set up work.

I think both would shine if we either had proper wing backs or you replace one of Fyvie/Bartley with an out and out playmaker.
    Basically Scott Allan only, y'know, not Scott Allan :)
    Last edited by The Leith Dutch; 25-09-2016 at 01:43 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by PompeyHibs View Post
    Im hoping that he adds the goals to his game as that would benefit us but i also think that would establish him in the Scotland team. He would be the new Scott Brown or even better.

As a group the Hibs midfield somehow need to chip in with goals, we hardly score
    Scott Brown is hardly a goalscorer.

Coaching Staff

Bla bla bla bla.
    You been drinking, cant make head nor tail of this.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I would ask SMG to watch a compliation of Pat McGinley and see how it's done. Failing that get greedy and take people on, drive into the box and sometimes make runs that take you past the strikers and into threatening positions.

McGinn is a good player, but he needs to be more confident. We need goals from midfield and he has the skill to make that kind of impact. Play him centrally too. Midfield seem unable to link closely to our strikers. Very little footballing rapport evident at times.

He was brilliant yesterday and deserved to be on the winning side.