hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Alan Cousin

Alan Cousin

I see the death of Alan Cousin has been announced. Made his name in the great Dundee team of the
    early 60's. I was a wee laddie when he played for us and maybe the slightly older guys will have their memories of him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see the death of Alan Cousin has been announced. Made his name in the great Dundee team of the
    early 60's. I was a wee laddie when he played for us and maybe the slightly older guys will have their memories of him.
    A really great player, it was a time when there was more to Scottish football than the OF.

Sorry to hear this. Cousin was an excellent player for Dundee and when he joined Hibs he seemed to fit right in
    This is how it feels

I remember him from that great Dundee team. They won the league beating the now defunct Rangers 5-1 at Ibrox then had a fantastic run to the semi finals of the European Cup. RIP

@hibs.net private member
    Was the first Sub for us when they were introduced in 1967 IIRC

Blog Entries
    Sad news, was a fine player & a gentleman! His favourite trick was the double shuffle, the crowd always cheered when it appeared. He actually scored a goal for Yams, unfortunately while playing for Dundee but as Dee scored 7 at PBS it didn't really matter & in fact that result was instrumental in Yams losing the league on goal average. Played in a great Dundee team alongside the Gay Gordon!

Alan Cousin is I name I do remember. part of a good Dundee mob. also, plenty of "doublers" of him with fitba' cards if I recall. Dundee fans will be in mourning about one of there own. r.i.p

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post

Sad news,great player and a true legend for Dundee FC.

A good servant for Hibs but will always be remembered as a Dundee player in what was a fabulous Dundee team.

Coaching Staff
    I remember Alan well..a native of Alloa I believe.

He operated for Hibs in the old left half position and although perhaps not gifted with lightning pace he was a very accurate deliverer of a final ball.

Seem to remember him scoring in a derby at Easter Road for us, but cannae remember the score...

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I was good friends with his son all through school and spent a lot of time in his house. A total gentleman who you would never have known was a pro footballer as he didn't show anything of that around the house. A natural sportsman who was an excellent cricketer and tennis player as well. Sad to hear this news

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I was good friends with his son all through school and spent a lot of time in his house. A total gentleman who you would never have known was a pro footballer as he didn't show anything of that around the house. A natural sportsman who was an excellent cricketer and tennis player as well. Sad to hear this news
    What a lovely remembrance.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    I read a tweet from someone who said he was his Latin teacher?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m View Post
    I read a tweet from someone who said he was his Latin teacher?

I think he was Classics master at Dollar Academy. Good player. Never booked while he was at Dundee - can't remember him being booked at Hibs either.

RIP
    Always had time for a few words when you met up with him
    Extremely modest about his football life
    Just a nice guy !!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    I think he was Classics master at Dollar Academy. Good player. Never booked while he was at Dundee - can't remember him being booked at Hibs either.
    To be fair at that time in football you had to pull a gun to get a warning from a ref.

Alan was my Latin teacher at Lornshill Academy, plus he taught at Alloa Academy previous to that. He was also my dad's classmate when they were in primary.

A lovely humble fellow, I asked him one time about his footballing career in which he divulged a bit, but I've read many an article today about how much of a gentleman he was. Can only echo those views.

RIP Alan.
    0-7