hibs.net Messageboard

Page 121 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123 LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,630 of 3664
  1. #3601
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by HiBremian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fixed that for you
    Thank you.

    I am now coming to terms with the fact that the second world war finished more than 50 years ago. It seems like yesterday, the way people talk.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #3602
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    34
    Posts
    10,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He died more than 50 years ago!!
    Long-Bailey isnít fit to work in the Westminster gift shop - if Momentum pish her through then Cummings is running the UK for at least twenty years


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  4. #3603
    @hibs.net private member AndyM_1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    The People's Republic of Fife
    Posts
    2,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Long-Bailey isn’t fit to work in the Westminster gift shop - if Momentum pish her through then Cummings is running the UK for at least twenty years
    I'm a former Labour member and unfortunately you're correct. She's continuity Corbyn, out of touch and hopeless and won't apologise or criticise the overloaded manifesto.
    Also hate to say it but her accent will go down like a bucket of vomit with many of the people Labour need to vote for them as they'll think she sounds like a barmaid from the Rovers Return.

    Starmer is racing ahead however and it looks like he'll be leader by April. Hopefully the first thing he'll do is show the door to Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbot and Burgon who have all been an absolute liability.
    Starmer might well win the votes needed to drag Labour back (at least in England and Wales) and he's getting support from the left of the party (who appear to have finally realised it's not much fun getting gubbed in elections) as well as the centrists and looks like a leader and someone who could actually call out BoJo's nonsense and lies.

    Although even though she has shown her ignorance of Scottish politics, Nandy's an interesting character and her time may well come.

  5. #3604
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3,549
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM_1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm a former Labour member and unfortunately you're correct. She's continuity Corbyn, out of touch and hopeless and won't apologise or criticise the overloaded manifesto.
    Also hate to say it but her accent will go down like a bucket of vomit with many of the people Labour need to vote for them as they'll think she sounds like a barmaid from the Rovers Return.

    Starmer is racing ahead however and it looks like he'll be leader by April. Hopefully the first thing he'll do is show the door to Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbot and Burgon who have all been an absolute liability.
    Starmer might well win the votes needed to drag Labour back (at least in England and Wales) and he's getting support from the left of the party (who appear to have finally realised it's not much fun getting gubbed in elections) as well as the centrists and looks like a leader and someone who could actually call out BoJo's nonsense and lies.

    Although even though she has shown her ignorance of Scottish politics, Nandy's an interesting character and her time may well come.
    Agree with all of that. Starmer is smart and has played his hand to attract centre and left. He could do with some charisma but I think heíll be good at disection borisís bull****. I hope he will bring in Yvette Cooper for similar effect. He could do with working on his charisma, though!!

    Nandy looked good but she has been a bit niave to walk into the trans elephant trap that the press set her up for. RLB would be a disaster.

    Deputy leader list is a bit ****, though.

  6. #3605
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3,549
    Ballots are out.

    Donít understand why this is taking so long and why Corbyn hasnít stepped down in favour of an interim like Hariett Harman as in the last two emptying of the duds.

  7. #3606
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    19,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ballots are out.

    Donít understand why this is taking so long and why Corbyn hasnít stepped down in favour of an interim like Hariett Harman as in the last two emptying of the duds.
    Heís still hoping to have control if RLB get the gig.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #3607
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ballots are out.

    Don’t understand why this is taking so long and why Corbyn hasn’t stepped down in favour of an interim like Hariett Harman as in the last two emptying of the duds.
    It's absurd. More than a month of this still to go. Hardly the way to be 'holding the PM to account' by taking four months to find a new leader.

    My impression of Corbyn is that he's actually a bit dim. Either that or he has a huge ego and sees no reason why leading Labour to their worst General Election result in nearly a century would in any way oblige him to to step down with immediate effect. I note, in fact, that he's lobbying for a spot in the new shadow cabinet - not something you can imagine many other party leaders past their sell-by date having the brass neck to do. The sad thing is that were RLB to become leader she'd probably agree to keep him on board, bearing in mind that she gave him 'ten out of ten' when asked about his leadership skills in the wake of their election trouncing.

  9. #3608
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's absurd. More than a month of this still to go. Hardly the way to be 'holding the PM to account' by taking four months to find a new leader.

    My impression of Corbyn is that he's actually a bit dim. Either that or he has a huge ego and sees no reason why leading Labour to their worst General Election result in nearly a century would in any way oblige him to to step down with immediate effect. I note, in fact, that he's lobbying for a spot in the new shadow cabinet - not something you can imagine many other party leaders past their sell-by date having the brass neck to do. The sad thing is that were RLB to become leader she'd probably agree to keep him on board, bearing in mind that she gave him 'ten out of ten' when asked about his leadership skills in the wake of their election trouncing.
    It's more simple than that. The party machinery is currently in the hands of his hard left chums. They are trying to keep it that way hoping for a smooth transition to RLB. They will lose Corbyn but not Corbynism (they hope).

  10. #3609
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3,549
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's more simple than that. The party machinery is currently in the hands of his hard left chums. They are trying to keep it that way hoping for a smooth transition to RLB. They will lose Corbyn but not Corbynism (they hope).
    Not if my vote makes a difference - mind you it made **** all difference in the last two leadships elections.

  11. #3610
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not if my vote makes a difference - mind you it made **** all difference in the last two leadships elections.
    Democracy, bloody hell.

  12. #3611
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Democracy, bloody hell.
    I blame the Chartists!!

  13. #3612
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somewhere near Albequerque.
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I blame the Chartists!!
    Splitters!

  14. #3613
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's more simple than that. The party machinery is currently in the hands of his hard left chums. They are trying to keep it that way hoping for a smooth transition to RLB. They will lose Corbyn but not Corbynism (they hope).
    Machinery is an apt word when referring to Corbynism. It's like a pre-programmed, unbending mantra that requires no upgrade even in the event of a calamitous general election pasting. The ideology is everything, unelectability a mere inconvenience. Corbyn himself was pre-set in the generalised way he responded to any question that focused on issues he didn't want to talk about eg Q: Do you condemn anti-Semitism in the Labour Party? A: I am against all forms of racism.

  15. #3614
    Nandy the only candidate to put her head above the parapet when it comes to criticising the Corbyn regime:

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51752969

    I'd vote for her if I had a choice although the whole contest seems almost to have fizzled into irrelevance it's been dragging on so long. Still the best part of a month to go. What more is there to be said?!

  16. #3615
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    15,350
    At least the labour party are actually working towards a new leader, where are the libdems in their replacement for Jo swinson?


    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-51782054
    They tried to bury us, they didn't realise we were seeds.

  17. #3616
    @hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Last Train to Skaville
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,172
    Every single time that Corbyn gets up to speak at PMQ, he is embodying the beaten past for the Labour Party. Effective opposition is currently effectively no opposition and once again JC gets the big things wrong because of focusing on the small things. Believing that he is taking a principled stance in not standing down right now is naive and a dereliction of leadership.

  18. #3617
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3,549
    Apparently, the ballot is not going smoothly.

    Lots of people not receiving their paper/email.

    I got mine right at the start but my partner still hasnít got a ballot yet.

  19. #3618
    Testimonial Due weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee *****y of course
    Posts
    4,357
    How can it possibly have taken so long to elect a leader of a party. The longer it goes on the more inept they look as a party. Corbyn still in charge, still doing PMQs. And this is someone who took a complete pumping in the election and had a dreadful credibility rating. It will take the Labour party years to recover from the Corbyn leadership and they are not getting off to a good start

  20. #3619
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3,549
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How can it possibly have taken so long to elect a leader of a party. The longer it goes on the more inept they look as a party. Corbyn still in charge, still doing PMQs. And this is someone who took a complete pumping in the election and had a dreadful credibility rating. It will take the Labour party years to recover from the Corbyn leadership and they are not getting off to a good start
    Iím wondering why he hasnít stepped down. Brown and Milliband both did with Harman taking over as interim to oversee the election - which she did very ably.

  21. #3620
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    42,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iím wondering why he hasnít stepped down. Brown and Milliband both did with Harman taking over as interim to oversee the election - which she did very ably.
    Who would have deputised?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  22. #3621
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who would have deputised?
    As Tom Watson had stepped down, I think that Emily Thornberry would have got the gig, which is horrendous to think of, but she has deputised at PMQs and holds the shadow for one of the ‘Great Offices of State’. I don’t think McDonnell would think it prudent to have taken on the role, likewise Abbott. 5he problem was that Thornberry put herself forward as a candidate.

    The other option would have been to go down the ‘senior statesman’ route - Harriet Harman again or Ed Miliband. I think it would actually have been refreshing to see Miliband challenging Johnson at the despatch box and I think Harman would have skewered him. But the party has its apparatuses and processes, and many of those are locked down by Corbynites and Momentum activists, so there was never a chance of that.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  23. #3622
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    42,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As Tom Watson had stepped down, I think that Emily Thornberry would have got the gig, which is horrendous to think of, but she has deputised at PMQs and holds the shadow for one of the ĎGreat Offices of Stateí. I donít think McDonnell would think it prudent to have taken on the role, likewise Abbott. 5he problem was that Thornberry put herself forward as a candidate.

    The other option would have been to go down the Ďsenior statesmaní route - Harriet Harman again or Ed Miliband. I think it would actually have been refreshing to see Miliband challenging Johnson at the despatch box and I think Harman would have skewered him. But the party has its apparatuses and processes, and many of those are locked down by Corbynites and Momentum activists, so there was never a chance of that.
    Exactly. There's no chance the sell out, Blairite neoliberals were going to be given the reigns back, even if it was only for a few months.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  24. #3623
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly. There's no chance the sell out, Blairite neoliberals were going to be given the reigns back, even if it was only for a few months.
    Yup, what did they ever do for us apart from three terms in government of progressive social policy........
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  25. #3624
    Testimonial Due weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee *****y of course
    Posts
    4,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly. There's no chance the sell out, Blairite neoliberals were going to be given the reigns back, even if it was only for a few months.
    I'm not sure if that was tongue in cheek or not but if not that is the attitude that will keep Labour in opposition for years to come. I'm no Labour supporter and actually didn't really like Blair but by Christ I'd take him any day over the bunch that are in power right now

  26. #3625
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    42,863
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure if that was tongue in cheek or not but if not that is the attitude that will keep Labour in opposition for years to come. I'm no Labour supporter and actually didn't really like Blair but by Christ I'd take him any day over the bunch that are in power right now
    I was being sarcastic.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  27. #3626
    Testimonial Due weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee *****y of course
    Posts
    4,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was being sarcastic.
    Hard to tell with some of the Labour folk. A smiley to help me out in future would be appreciated 👍

  28. #3627
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    42,863
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hard to tell with some of the Labour folk. A smiley to help me out in future would be appreciated 👍
    I thought my words were so dripping with caustic bitterness and sarcasm that my meaning would be obvious.

    Now that you've given me cause to read them again, I've realised you're right. Someone in the Labour Party could easily have said that in all seriousness so anyone not knowing my general political stance could have thought I was serious. You have my apologies.

    Regarding Tony Blair, in the last 40 years, he's been my favourite PM and by a long, long way.

  29. #3628
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought my words were so dripping with caustic bitterness and sarcasm that my meaning would be obvious.

    Now that you've given me cause to read them again, I've realised you're right. Someone in the Labour Party could easily have said that in all seriousness so anyone not knowing my general political stance could have thought I was serious. You have my apologies.

    Regarding Tony Blair, in the last 40 years, he's been my favourite PM and by a long, long way.
    I think in fairness to you and in fairness to WCHís post it is worth getting into it.

    If any of us are or have been a member of the Labour movement, not necessarily a Constituency Labour Party member i.e. the area of the parliamentary seat, then one recognises that it is a broad spectrum. It is a wide and varied bunch of views, rather more so in recent years with Momentum, but always prone to periods of entryism in its history. Cite Militant at this point

    Generally though, the movement is people united by common goals - social justice, tackling poverty, improving attainment in health and education, addressing inequality - and these common goals can be achieved ina great deal of regard by the power that the state has, through legislation, taxation, benefits and social policy.

    Within that, there are very disparate viewpoints. What isnít in doubt is that from the mid-eighties, Labour has to move massively and with much internal resistance, to make itself electable. It took years and years and also relied on voter fatigue with an eighteen-year Tory administration to get to that point. It seems like Labour has always needed that factor in an innately small-c conservative nation - post-war fatigue for Attlee, long Tory dominance and the lingering shame of Suez for Wilson, and then a Tory party self-inflagrating for Blair.

    When Labour has been electable it has done marvellous things.

    The achievements under Attlee, the acivevements under Wilson, even the achievements under Callaghan in his limited and constrained time were progressive and ultimately irreversible. The achievements under Blair and Brown in terms of social policy were massive.

    Like you say HR, the revisionist cause for the far-leftists will never die away. They wonít stop being furious that Blair won and enacted good policies while their candidates failed at GEs or hustings.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

  30. #3629
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    19,698
    Just realised today budget response is likely to be delivered by Corbyn. Absolutely useless from Labour.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  31. #3630
    Coaching Staff Betty Boop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sunny Leith
    Posts
    8,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just realised today budget response is likely to be delivered by Corbyn. Absolutely useless from Labour.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    On the contrary a great response from Jezza.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved