hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough

Full back positions

Does everybody think we need to strengthen the full back positions and if so who would you like to see added ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular Highland_Hibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Amusing Munch PSN ID: Amusing_Munch
    We are blessed with two of the most consistent full backs in Scotland. I agree we could use cover. Re-signing Gunnarsson would have been a good shout for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    Agreed should have kept gunnarson , gave us a different dimension going upfield , he wasn't easy to mark which showed at *********** cup game

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by dastardly8 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed should have kept gunnarson , gave us a different dimension going upfield , he wasn't easy to mark which showed at *********** cup game
    I expected it to be a done deal after his loan expired. He showed enough during his chances that he's a handful and not limited to defending. Seemed keen to show us he deserved to stay IMO. I can however respect that Lennon has his own ideas and I can't fault him on any of them so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Who did he sign for

Gamer IDs

Full back positions

Double post

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Who did he sign for
    Went back to Norway I think

I heard from a very good source inside the club this week that Lennon is thinking about using Calum Crane more as the season progresses. His performance in the Birmingham game still in people's minds...

Stevenson was horrendous today going format and back. Give Crane a chance it can't be any worse.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by piemanpilley View Post
    Stevenson was horrendous today going format and back. Give Crane a chance it can't be any worse.
    Yup.

I fear Stevenson has become undroppable because of his reliability not to do anything really bad and is normally consistently ok. I really hope crane is good enough to break through and offer us something more though.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    The quality of delivery from Lewis was very poor.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Yes. I think the defence has had an easy job of it this season and when we got down to 10 men our defensive frailties were exposed. The quality of delivery from the left-hand side was abysmal too. I love Stevenson and I think we will get promoted with him, but we could improve by strengthening in the FB positions.

@hibs.net private member
    I am a big fan of Lewis Stevenson but he was honking today and hasn't impressed this season in general. I wonder if the testimonial is ading some pressure or maybe he is carrying a knock. I think it might be a decent idea to bring Crane in.

@hibs.net private member
    Stevenson for the 2nd goal today was shocking

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Our full backs are good full backs, the problem we have is they are not wingbacks.

Oh, it can be much much worse than Lewis Stevenson. It has been plenty of times.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Our full backs are good full backs, the problem we have is they are not wingbacks.
    Yeah, I'm sure everyone can think of good wingers from their generation but I couldn't help but think how much fun Michael O'Neill would have had if he'd found himself in the amount of good positions Stevenson found himself in today.

TBF then i remebered Stevensons job is predominantly a full back, not a winger which he normally does ok, in an attacking sense we need much better though.

Stevenson is not a good full back,opposition teams are now targeting him and he is easily beaten, never stops crosses coming in and was left for dead on 3 occasions today one of which resulted in the winning goal.

The problem is the formation we play the full backs are wing backs, with neither of them having the pace or ability to deliver good quality balls into the box consistently. A cross is only a 20 or 30 yard pass, how hard can it be?

Does everybody think we need to strengthen the full back positions and if so who would you like to see added ?
    Both had poor games today (esp Lewis) but they are club legends and IMO are welcome to play for Hibs for as long as they want. No Hibs fan should be questioning their commitment or contribution. We lost 1 game of football.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Both had poor games today (esp Lewis) but they are club legends and IMO are welcome to play for Hibs for as long as they want. No Hibs fan should be questioning their commitment or contribution. We lost 1 game of football.
    No problem with people questioning their contribution, that should always happen about every player.

Nobody is questioning their commitment

I think Stevenson has had a rough start to the season, so far his delivery has let him down on a number of occasions and got done for their 2nd today. Hope he keeps the head up and see some of the form we know he is capable of

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    What a lot of tosh if they deserve to be dropped then get them out the team Hibs are important not individuals. Lewis was terrible today what roasting he got for the second goal. If we had an alternative i would be giving them a go. Everyone is replaceable even Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Stevenson is not a good full back,opposition teams are now targeting him and he is easily beaten, never stops crosses coming in and was left for dead on 3 occasions today one of which resulted in the winning goal.
    Not sure how you can tell, as he's doing a wingback job most weeks, he's our wide left player expected to provide from the left.

Playing with the narrow midfield gives him acres to run into, he's just not really that good at getting forward beating a player and providing an incisive pass or cross.

@hibs.net private member
    Both were poor today. But I doubt we will get better full backs for this league.

Not sure how you can tell, as he's doing a wingback job most weeks, he's our wide left player expected to provide from the left.

Playing with the narrow midfield gives him acres to run into, he's just not really that good at getting forward beating a player and providing an incisive pass or cross.
    For the second goal he looked like a terrible fullback. Yes it was a one off but i think Lewis despite being a legend has proved over a number years he is not good enough to play fullback or wingback.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    For the second goal he looked like a terrible fullback. Yes it was a one off but i think Lewis despite being a legend has proved over a number years he is not good enough to play fullback or wingback.

oh oh

left back ...

see Falkirk third goal today for how a left wing cross should be made then change our left back ,we are giving so much of the ball to the left side and wasted so often with poor distribution

First Team Breakthrough WWFTWTG's Avatar
    Stevenson, poor vision going forward and unable to cross the ball. Time for change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    I disagree, when you are asked to do what he is all game he will be knackered by the end of it. Add in us playing with 10 men and you are asking for trouble with space in behind him.

I think as a defending full back he's been very good over the last few seasons, and if he's been roasted today for their second goal, there is mitigating circumstances, and over the piece he's not been accountable for many goals from his side in recent seasons.