hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast
Results 811 to 840 of 847
  1. #811
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Between a rock & a hard place
    Posts
    28,569
    A popular misconception about Vienna is that the river it was built on is the Danube. In actual fact, it was built on the river Wien, a tributary of the Danube. Wien is also the name of the city in German. The boundary of the city only reached the Danube in the nineteenth century.


    Talking of the Danube...


    If you're ever in Vienna and want to visit the Danube, make sure you specify which one when asking for directions, because there's (technically) three of them:

    In the sixteenth century, the Danube was still quite far away from the city, so a canal was built (Donaukanal) to allow ships to offload next to the old walls. The water enters the canal unimpeded from the upstream Danube (Northwest) and rejoins it downstream (South-East), and is technically now a free flowing river in it's own right.

    In the 19th century, the city of Vienna then decided to straighten the main part of the river. They built a long, straight ditch between the ends of a large curve of the river, then knocked down either end and let the river flood through. They then blocked up the original river curve, which is now a long narrow lake called the Alte Donau (Old Danube), which is much further away from the city centre... Incidentally, this was completed in 1875


    Ergo, Vienna has three River Danubes.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #812
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A popular misconception about Vienna is that the river it was built on is the Danube. In actual fact, it was built on the river Wien, a tributary of the Danube. Wien is also the name of the city in German. The boundary of the city only reached the Danube in the nineteenth century.


    Talking of the Danube...


    If you're ever in Vienna and want to visit the Danube, make sure you specify which one when asking for directions, because there's (technically) three of them:

    In the sixteenth century, the Danube was still quite far away from the city, so a canal was built (Donaukanal) to allow ships to offload next to the old walls. The water enters the canal unimpeded from the upstream Danube (Northwest) and rejoins it downstream (South-East), and is technically now a free flowing river in it's own right.

    In the 19th century, the city of Vienna then decided to straighten the main part of the river. They built a long, straight ditch between the ends of a large curve of the river, then knocked down either end and let the river flood through. They then blocked up the original river curve, which is now a long narrow lake called the Alte Donau (Old Danube), which is much further away from the city centre... Incidentally, this was completed in 1875


    Ergo, Vienna has three River Danubes.
    it means nothing to me...

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  4. #813
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Between a rock & a hard place
    Posts
    28,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it means nothing to me...

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

    Ah shaddapa you face.

  5. #814
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ah shaddapa you face.
    for what it's worth mate, I found it interesting, I just couldn't resist.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  6. #815
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    13,425
    Manatees can regulate their buoyancy by farting.

  7. #816
    @hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lytham St Annes
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,101
    Ketchup originated in China starting life as mixed pickled fish and spices and named in Amoy dialect as Ke -chiap meaning brine of pickled fish.

  8. #817
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Between a rock & a hard place
    Posts
    28,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    for what it's worth mate, I found it interesting, I just couldn't resist.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

    For what it's worth, I was actually making reference to the song that kept Oh Vienna off the number one spot in the charts.


  9. #818
    Whatís a matta you? Hey!

    Why u looka so sad?

    Itís a nica place......



    Joe Dolce
    Last edited by HibbyDave; 18-11-2020 at 10:22 PM.

  10. #819
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For what it's worth, I was actually making reference to the song that kept Oh Vienna off the number one spot in the charts.

    I'm not that old

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  11. #820
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Between a rock & a hard place
    Posts
    28,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not that old

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

    Aw aye, rub it in why don't you

  12. #821
    Another utterly useless piece of information















    Iím bored😎

  13. #822
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    11,942
    Heroin users get a really bitter taste when they inject heroin into their bloodstream. Nico of The Velvet Underground fame would add Evelyn & Crabtree rosewater to her heroin to get a taste like Turkish delight from her intravenous drug use.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  14. #823
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,134
    Perhaps already mentioned in this thread, but after 90+2's delight at Hearts failing to progress in the league cup and going to order a Hawaiian pizza, it reminded me of a QI fact, that the Hawaiian pizza was actually created by a Canadian, of Greek descent, at a restaurant in Ontario. Trying to mimic Chinese cooking of pairing sweet with savoury, he combined the ham with pineapple, then added to pizza.
    Ironically, or maybe by design, the Hawaiian & Samoan people of Polynesia will actually marinade wild boar in pineapple before cooking, as the acidity will break down the tough meat.
    Whether the Canadian restauranteur knew this, I don't know.

  15. #824
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    23,664
    An elephants teets are between its front legs. Itís the only four legged mammal that has this.

  16. #825
    @hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Perhaps already mentioned in this thread, but after 90+2's delight at Hearts failing to progress in the league cup and going to order a Hawaiian pizza, it reminded me of a QI fact, that the Hawaiian pizza was actually created by a Canadian, of Greek descent, at a restaurant in Ontario. Trying to mimic Chinese cooking of pairing sweet with savoury, he combined the ham with pineapple, then added to pizza.
    Ironically, or maybe by design, the Hawaiian & Samoan people of Polynesia will actually marinade wild boar in pineapple before cooking, as the acidity will break down the tough meat.
    Whether the Canadian restauranteur knew this, I don't know.
    Pineapple actually contain enzymes that break down protein and can be used to tenderise meat


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #826
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    13,425
    Time travel on it's own would be next to useless. You'd have to be able to travel through time and space for it to be of use.

  18. #827
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Time travel on it's own would be next to useless. You'd have to be able to travel through time and space for it to be of use.
    At the risk of contradicting the purpose of this thread, i find this interesting! Why do you say that - because otherwise you would end up in a different location than where you started? Planetary shift and all that?

  19. #828
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    23,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the risk of contradicting the purpose of this thread, i find this interesting! Why do you say that - because otherwise you would end up in a different location than where you started? Planetary shift and all that?

    It set me thinking too. That must be it.

  20. #829
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    13,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the risk of contradicting the purpose of this thread, i find this interesting! Why do you say that - because otherwise you would end up in a different location than where you started? Planetary shift and all that?
    Yes, even travelling back in time 5 minutes would mean you land in open space because your physical starting point hasn't arrived yet. For example, if you wanted to travel back in time to see the dinosaurs, you'd also have to travel to the other side of the galaxy, because that's where earth was at that time.

    This information is utterly useless, unless you've mastered time travel and are not letting on about it.

  21. #830
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, even travelling back in time 5 minutes would mean you land in open space because your physical starting point hasn't arrived yet. For example, if you wanted to travel back in time to see the dinosaurs, you'd also have to travel to the other side of the galaxy, because that's where earth was at that time.

    This information is utterly useless, unless you've mastered time travel and are not letting on about it.
    How else do you think I knew your answer before you posted it?

  22. #831
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    13,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How else do you think I knew your answer before you posted it?

  23. #832
    When actor Gerard Kelly [City Lights/Extras/Rab C Nesbitt] passed away it was revealed he left his entire £145k estate to Terry Kiely who played Karl Fletcher in Sky One's long-running soap-opera Dream Team.

    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entert...-kelly-1096236

    Before you ask: Kelly had no connection to Kiely other than having crossed paths in an Essex pantomime. Kiely [a lifeguard] was "shocked" to learn of being bequeathed the money having only met Kelly "...a couple of times..." but saw him as a "...father figure..." who supported him for 18 years.

    My husband was searching "dream team where are they now" and this popped up.

    This is the most useless, bizarre and random factoid about late noughties TV I have ever heard/seen.
    Last edited by Max_Shah; 03-12-2020 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Formatting

  24. #833
    Promising Youngster davy67 +'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Tweedbank
    Posts
    71
    The theme music to Mastermind is called " Approaching Menace "

  25. #834
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    11,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Time travel on it's own would be next to useless. You'd have to be able to travel through time and space for it to be of use.
    Iíd be rewinding Liam Hendersonís delivery over and over and over. Iíd be stuck at that moment forever.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  26. #835
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,937
    The pter in helicopter has the same origin as the pter in pterodactyl. It's from a Greek word meaning wing, and helico is from a Greek word, via Latin, meaning spiral.
    This blew my mind.

  27. #836
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The pter in helicopter has the same origin as the pter in pterodactyl. It's from a Greek word meaning wing, and helico is from a Greek word, via Latin, meaning spiral.
    This blew my mind.

    that is such an interesting group of facts 😁

  28. #837
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,797
    One million seconds is 11.5 days.
    One billion seconds is 31.7 years.
    Mon the Hibs.

  29. #838
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    11,942
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One million seconds is 11.5 days.
    One billion seconds is 31.7 years.
    Itís been well over a billion seconds since Hearts win the league cup 😂


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  30. #839
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Itís been well over a billion seconds since Hearts win the league cup 😂
    Closer to 2

  31. #840
    @hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    6,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Itís been well over a billion seconds since Hearts win the league cup 😂
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Closer to 2
    It's been two billion seconds since you won;
    The League Cup.
    That's a thing you can't deny
    Like the fact that we're the team that wouldn't die.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)