hibs.net Messageboard

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye, it's be mentioned already.
    TBH, I'm not 100% convinced that the arrow was intentional. Might have been a "hey, look what I've just noticed" by the designer after the fact.
    That might be true if the E and X had a space between them and the logo was a single colour. As they are touching and the use of 2 colours producing an arrow I think it is a clever piece of design.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    There is no leap year at the turn of every new century, but every 400 years there is one. The year 2000 had a leap year, the first since the the year 1600.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    There is no leap year at the turn of every new century, but every 400 years there is one. The year 2000 had a leap year, the first since the the year 1600.

That's going to be one of those things that we get a thread a day about on .net in 2100 just like asking if we know if we'll be home or away before a Europa draw has been made. Hopefully the admins add a rolling FAQ section in the next 81 years.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post

That's going to be one of those things that we get a thread a day about on .net in 2100 just like asking if we know if we'll be home or away before a Europa draw has been made. Hopefully the admins add a rolling FAQ section in the next 81 years.
    I very much doubt I’ll have to worry about that

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    To tie in with my Indian Jones/Swordsman scene in the movie cliche thread, here's what Ford had to say about it ....

Harrison Ford held an AMA question and answer session on Reddit Sunday, where he discussed the story behind one of the most famous scenes in the "Indiana Jones" films.
    In the first movie, "Raiders of the Lost Ark," Indiana Jones is being chased through the streets of Cairo by a bunch of goons. He comes face to face with a scary swordsman who brandishes his weapon, preparing for what seems to be an epic duel. Instead, Indiana shoots the swordsman.
    Genius.
    In the AMA, Ford said the scene was actually supposed to be a lengthy sword fight. But he was suffering from dysentery at the time, and he could only film scenes in 10-minute increments before having to run to his trailer to, uh, take care of business. Instead, Ford and director Steven Spielberg decided it would be better to have Indiana shoot the swordsman, considering the scene would've taken an extra three days to shoot.
    Here's Ford's full answer and a YouTube clip of the scene he describes:
    We were shooting in Tunisia, and the script had a scene in which I fight a swordsman, an expert swordsman, it was meant to be the ultimate duel between sword and whip. And I was suffering from dysentery, really, found it inconvenient to be out of my trailer for more than 10 minutes at a time. We'd done a brief rehearsal of the scene the night before we were meant to shoot it, and both Steve and I realized it would take 2 or 3 days to shoot this. And it was the last thing we were meant to shoot in Tunisia before we left to shoot in England. And the scene before this in the film included a whip fight against 5 bad guys that were trying to kidnap Marian, so I thought it was a bit redundant. I was puzzling how to get out of this 3 days of shooting, so when I got to set I proposed to Steven that we just shoot the son a bitch and Steve said "I was thinking that as well." So he drew his sword, the poor guy was a wonderful British stuntman who had practiced his sword skills for months in order to do this job, and was quite surprised by the idea that we would dispatch him in 5 minutes. But he flourished his sword, I pulled out my gun and shot him, and then we went back to England.

Sheffield Wednesday haven’t won on a Wednesday for over four years.

United we stand here....

We had quiche for tea followed by mangos.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    We had quiche for tea followed by mangos.
    We didn't.

There's no mention of 'three kings' in the Bible. Instead it refers to an indeterminate number of wise men who carried gifts of gold, myrrh and frankincense - not necessarily one each. The names they've now been given don't appear either.

But Happy Christmas anyway.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    There's no mention of 'three kings' in the Bible. Instead it refers to an indeterminate number of wise men who carried gifts of gold, myrrh and frankincense - not necessarily one each. The names they've now been given don't appear either.

But Happy Christmas anyway.
    The bible is bollocks. Happy Xmas to you too

Hate to be a killjoy but the name Jesus was never used in that part of the world at the time, IF their was some born to Joseph the carpenter his name was actually Yeshua, which is translated into Greek as Iesus, Greek being widely spoken at that time. Dos Cristos is also Greek meaning the Messiah or chosen one, or enlightened one, so basically he was Iesus Dos Cristos, or Yeshua son or Joseph.

Happy Yuletide, a pagan festival which sees the days begin to get longer and is seen as a rebirth of the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Hate to be a killjoy but the name Jesus was never used in that part of the world at the time, IF their was some born to Joseph the carpenter his name was actually Yeshua, which is translated into Greek as Iesus, Greek being widely spoken at that time. Dos Cristos is also Greek meaning the Messiah or chosen one, or enlightened one, so basically he was Iesus Dos Cristos, or Yeshua son or Joseph.

Happy Yuletide, a pagan festival which sees the days begin to get longer and is seen as a rebirth of the sun.
    Iesus is Latin, the Greek is Iesous.

It's a transliteration issue rather than an inaccuarcy. There are contemporary accounts of various individuals using the name Yeshua around the time of Jesus' ministry:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=zo44-XeRBg4C&pg=PA12&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Jesus is simply a process of ancient Hebrew to Greek to Latin to the vernacular. The Christ is simply a title in the same manner as 'Rabbi'. I don't believe there are any Christian sects that recognise that as a given name.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Iesus is Latin, the Greek is Iesous.

It's a transliteration issue rather than an inaccuarcy. There are contemporary accounts of various individuals using the name Yeshua around the time of Jesus' ministry:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...page&q&f=false

Jesus is simply a process of ancient Hebrew to Greek to Latin to the vernacular. The Christ is simply a title in the same manner as 'Rabbi'. I don't believe there are any Christian sects that recognise that as a given name.

Excuse me for missing the letter O
    My point was the name was extremely common at that time and the stories surrounding him were rather vague and written many years after his supposed death, also the celebrations are Pagan in history and nothing to do with his biblical birth.

11 minutes of my life I won't get back🤣

If you type in "watch sale" in google you will notice every watch advertised for sale is set to the same time, 10.10. It's the same for any watches in TV adverts.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    If you type in "watch sale" in google you will notice every watch advertised for sale is set to the same time, 10.10. It's the same for any watches in TV adverts.
    ....and all the Roman numeral ones show the 4 as IIII rather than IV - but that's been done already.

Two schools of thought on the hands one - either it represents a smile or the hands frame the maker's logo. Maybe a bit of both.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    On the logo theme, FedEx have a great one in their logo where there is an arrow in the dead space between the E & the X depicting moving forwards - again as someone said, you'll never stop seeing that one now!

Attachment 20990
    This may have been completely obvious to everyone but me but the amazon logo has what looks like a smiley face, but is actually and arrow going from A to Z.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    ....and all the Roman numeral ones show the 4 as IIII rather than IV - but that's been done already.

Two schools of thought on the hands one - either it represents a smile or the hands frame the maker's logo. Maybe a bit of both.
    I'd always thought it was the smile, but framing the logo is a good point.

What was the reason for Roman numerals being IIII again?
    Mon the Hibs.

I was told that was the original way 4 was written and 9 was VIIII. I have read that they got changed to avoid confusion with 3 and 8 when working quickly and also that it was the better educated who used the shortened form.

It's because it's easier to cast 20 Is and four each of X and V rather than 17 Is, four Xs and five Vs. As I understand it, before the time when everyone had a watch most clocks were on church steeples or town houses and the numbers were made of cast metal. I think the mould set consisted of an X, a V and a bar of five Is which could be cut as necessary and joined to the other numerals. The blacksmiths would do four castings for each clock face and knew exactly how much metal they needed for each casting therefore avoiding wastage.

Since then it seems to just have become tradition. As I mentioned earlier in the thread one departure is the clock on the Big Ben tower which shows the 4 as IV.

The Big Bang didn’t actually bang, it was completely silent as sound travells through air and there was no air.

United we stand here....

Beeves is the plural of beef

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    Beeves is the plural of beef
    That’s a cracker. Beef is is one of the few words in the English language that doesn’t need a plural, but it’s good to know there’s one if needed.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    That’s a cracker. Beef is is one of the few words in the English language that doesn’t need a plural, but it’s good to know there’s one if needed.
    Maybe been said before, but in the English language a lot of words for meats are derived from French and a lot of words for the animals which generate the meat are from Anglo-Saxon or whatever, reflecting that after the Norman Conquest if you were wealthy and therefore spoke French you regularly ate meat whereas if you were poor (and didn’t speak French) you lived on a more subsistence diet.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    In 1967, the hippy/psychedelic band The Move got to number two in the charts with ‘Flowers In The Rain’, a track that gets played to this day.

As a promotional stunt, they made postcards that suggested the then PM Harold Wilson was having an affair with his secretary.

Wilson took legal action and the High Court decreed that all and any royalties from the single would go to Wilson, who gave them all to charities.

Wilson has been dead for a good while now but his estate still gets income from the playing of the song and it continues to go to charity.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I have a few beeves with your opinion

The Big Bang didn’t actually bang, it was completely silent as sound travells through air and there was no air.

True, although technically sounds travels through a medium (air as mentioned, water, wood, metal, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I have a few beeves with your opinion
    Ah but you’ve used the word as it wasn’t originally intended.

United we stand here....

Damon Albarn from Blur is a year older than Jacob Rees-Mogg.

I’ve missed this thread.
    Dreamt is the only word in the English language that ends in MT. I saw that one on bbc news a few weeks ago.

United we stand here....