hibs.net Messageboard

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Analogue clocks are most likely to be photographed at 10:08 for advertisements as it makes them look happy and people are more likely to purchase them.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Analogue clocks are most likely to be photographed at 10:08 for advertisements as it makes them look happy and people are more likely to purchase them.
    I thought that was 10 to 2

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    I thought that was 10 to 2
    Second most likely apparently, but there is the “ten oh eight rule” apparently.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Second most likely apparently, but there is the “ten oh eight rule” apparently.
    I know it's sad but I had a look at clocks for sale and 10:08 beats 1:50 about 2 to 1.
    I'm extremely bored today.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    The German phrase "Englisch einkaufen gehen" means "to go English shopping" when translated word for word but really means to go shoplifting.

Bumblebees can fly higher than Everest.

Bumblebees can fly higher than Everest.
    Of course they can. Everest can’t fly

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Other football Clubs formed in 1875

Birmingham City
    Blackburn Rovers
    Bournemouth

Sailing by Rod Stewart was actually a cover. Originally done by The Sutherland Brothers, whoever they are.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Sailing by Rod Stewart was actually a cover. Originally done by The Sutherland Brothers, whoever they are.

I'm old.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 05-04-2021 at 03:17 PM.

They came from Peterhead, had a hit themselves with Arms of Mary.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

I'm old.
    Me too.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Me too.
    And me (Very) old

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sutherland_Brothers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poDjuRlaNAg

One of the brothers wrote the song, he probably earned far more off the royalties than from his own musical career

In Computing parlance, eight Bits is called a 'Byte'.

And half a Byte (four Bits) is called a 'Nibble'.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    And me (Very) old

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sutherland_Brothers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poDjuRlaNAg

One of the brothers wrote the song, he probably earned far more off the royalties than from his own musical career
    I've never heard that before. Even by early 70s standards the production/mix is atrocious. I've heard one-man-bands with better drumming and it sounds like a bass stylophone or something that drones away all through the track.

Rod definitely did a far better job of it.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I've never heard that before. Even by early 70s standards the production/mix is atrocious. I've heard one-man-bands with better drumming and it sounds like a bass stylophone or something that drones away all through the track.

Rod definitely did a far better job of it.
    I hadn’t heard that version for a very long time - I agree with your analysis 🎸🎤😱

Heard that often enough but never knew who sung it.

@hibs.net private member
    Alexander Graham Bell's wife was deaf.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    That’s the dream right there.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    🤣

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Believe me when I say it's not that great.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    Alexander Graham Bell is the only FP of the Royal High School to get his name in a Top 40 hit, pop-pickers

Turned the radio on this morning and that was the first song I heard.

@hibs.net private member

I saw them at Aberdeen Uni union in 1980, I think.

Very hairy, if I remember.

Don’t forget Quiver

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Turned the radio on this morning and that was the first song I heard.
    Were you in Chelsea, and are you Joni Mitchell?

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number.

Why was that gauge used?
    Well, because that's the way they built them in England, and English engineers designed the first US railroads.

Why did the English build them like that?
    Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the wagon tramways, and that's the gauge they used.

So, why did 'they' use that gauge then?
    Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that same wheel spacing.

Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing?
    Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break more often on some of the old, long distance roads in England . You see, that's the spacing of the wheel ruts.

So who built those old rutted roads?
    Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England ) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since.

And what about the ruts in the roads?
    Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match or run the risk of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome , they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever.

So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse's ass came up with this?', you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses. (Two horses' asses.)

Now, the twist to the story:

When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah . The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.

So, a major Space Shuttle design feature, of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system, was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's ass. And you thought being a horse's ass wasn't important? Ancient horse's asses control almost everything......
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number.

Why was that gauge used?
    Well, because that's the way they built them in England, and English engineers designed the first US railroads.

Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the wagon tramways, and that's the gauge they used.

Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that same wheel spacing.

Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break more often on some of the old, long distance roads in England . You see, that's the spacing of the wheel ruts.

Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England ) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since.

Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match or run the risk of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome , they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever.

So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse's ass came up with this?', you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses. (Two horses' asses.)

When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah . The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.

So, a major Space Shuttle design feature, of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system, was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's ass. And you thought being a horse's ass wasn't important? Ancient horse's asses control almost everything......

I was enjoying this, then when I got the last paragraph, I was blown away that’s incredibly interesting

Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers.

But who was Peter Piper?

Well, in the 18th century, there was a French horticulturalist and Missionary called Pierre Poivre, whose name when translated to English is Peter Pepper.

In the 1760s, Monsiuer Poivre became the colonial administrator of Mauritius, where he had a massive garden and grew plants from all over the tropics. He was also instrumental in breaking the Dutch monopoly over the import and export of various foodstuffs grown in that region, and opened up the market to other European countries, and eventually the US, for which he became quite well known.

Among many other types of foodstuffs that massively increased in the levels of it's trade was, yes you've guessed it, the Pepper.

So if he's called Monsieur 'Pepper', where does the name 'Piper' come into it? Well, the word 'Piper' was actually the Old English name for 'Pepper', plus was a common surname in England, so when the rhyme was introduced in the early 1800s, most English speakers would immediately have got the reference to Monsiuer Poivre...

...although it's also possible that whoever came up with the rhyme just thought the name Piper fitted quite well and it has nothing whatsoever to do with Monsiuer Poivre. Who knows :)
    Last edited by Keith_M; 06-09-2021 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post

Why was that gauge used?

On the subject of horses ***** influencing the future, they also influenced our drinking.

In the 1800s, a ‘cocktail’ was a root ginger suppository given to a working horse that wasn’t pulling its weight. The discomfort of it made its tail cock up and gave it a new lease of life.

Cocktails back then were just known as “mixed drinks” up to the turn of the century and a ‘cocktail’ was just one specific mixed drink. It was only when cocktail became a term for a variety of mixed drinks this changed (I think - and I may be wrong - it was in a 1911 book by Hugo Enslin), but generally speaking a cocktail is named after a horses arse.