hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar

Things Could Have Been So Different...

I can imagine that I'm not the only one who has watched the cup final on an almost daily basis since that day in May...

But is it just me who gets a weird knot in my stomach/sudden feeling of nervousness when you imagine how differently the game could have went if small details were changed?

For example, what if Steven McLean hadn't given advantage when John McGinn was fouled in the build up to the first goal? What if Kenny Miller's header that hit the bar was an inch or two lower? What if, when Foderingham had saved Stokes shot leading up to the greatest corner of all time, James Keatings had been able to get a slight touch onto the ball and put it out for a goal kick?

I still get that weird feeling every time I watch the game, even though I obviously know how things panned out.

Is it just me?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I've spent many years thinking about 'what ifs' with Hibs over the years - but every painful moment I've been through was worth it for that day in May. I just enjoy it as much as possible.

Imagine the amount of what ifs in all the finals since 1902? We coupd have won them all but lady luck didnt like us.

The only way things could have been different was if we won 5-2 as we should have.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can imagine that I'm not the only one who has watched the cup final on an almost daily basis since that day in May...

But is it just me who gets a weird knot in my stomach/sudden feeling of nervousness when you imagine how differently the game could have went if small details were changed?

For example, what if Steven McLean hadn't given advantage when John McGinn was fouled in the build up to the first goal? What if Kenny Miller's header that hit the bar was an inch or two lower? What if, when Foderingham had saved Stokes shot leading up to the greatest corner of all time, James Keatings had been able to get a slight touch onto the ball and put it out for a goal kick?

I still get that weird feeling every time I watch the game, even though I obviously know how things panned out.

Is it just me?

No, I still get palpitations when watching again for some reason. Mines are those you listed above + some of these:

1. LS putting his hands on Waghorns shoulders in the penalty box.
    2. Gunnerson's tackle on Dean Sheils in the penalty box.
    3. LS's tackle on Waghorn inside the box, when he put it out for a corner.
    4. The linesman spotting the slightest touch off of Wilson when he put it out for a corner for Hibs 2nd.
    5. The free kick in the last minute that went against Halliday.

What if the linesman had given a free kick against us when Stokes has his hand on Taverniers shoulder for the 2nd goal.🤔
    For once, we got the breaks we deserved.
    ⚽️🏆🤗

What if Stokesy's shot that hit the post had gone in?

Quote Originally Posted by munchar View Post
    What if the linesman had given a free kick against us when Stokes has his hand on Taverniers shoulder for the 2nd goal.🤔
    For once, we got the breaks we deserved.
    ⚽️🏆🤗
    I think of this every time I watch this goal. I think there are many refs who would have given that as a foul. It is clearly not a foul. But a lot would have give that.

The stars aligned for us. It was our time.

Over the years how many "we were unlucky" and "if only these things had gone for us" have we had. Far too many. We deserved to win the cup that day. We dug in and fought hard even after going 2-1 down.

Is it just me? it can work both ways tho! what if we slightly moved any of our numerous chances? we could of won the game 5 2 and nobody could say we didnt deserve to win bye that, stoksy could easily have had 3 or 4 himself, we hunted them down like a wounded animal that last 20 minutes and they had no answer! when the board went up for extra time only one set of fans were cheering there team on the rest is history no luck involved......DESTINY

GGTTH ...again!!

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Go back earlier though -what if Oxley hadn't lost his contact lens in the quarter final and got suspended? Then there would be no Conrad Logan to perform heroics in the semi.

What if Cummings had actually scored the semi penalty during 90 mins, and Dundee Utd came back to beat us?

What if we won the League Cup Final, but then lost the Inverness replay a couple of days later?

And best of all, what if Hearts hadn't capitulated at Tynie that glorious afternoon?

I totally understand this...however, how many of those wee changes went against us in the playoffs only a week before? The script for that Cup Final was the thing I usually watch other teams follow in important matches with Hibs. LOVE that it came our way, for once, finally, in SUCH an important game.

Enjoy!

Actually, to take our points a step further, I feel that over the three games at the end of last season (2x Falkirk and 1x Cup Win) that over the piece we were far more unfortunate/unlucky than the other.

'What If' Thompson had sent off Black for his blatant leading with his elbow and assault early on in the 5-1 Cup Final??

What if Rangers had paid taxes and hadn't been liquidated?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    If my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Imagine if Hearts hadn't been so tight and just paid for Cummings knee surgery #oops

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    What if Rangers had paid taxes and hadn't been liquidated?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    What if Warby had found a magic hat.

Testimonial Due
    I get the feeling sometimes when I watch it that something different is going to happen, similar to what the OP mentioned. But things could've gone more in our favour as well. Stokes could've easily got another 2-3 goals and it would've been an absolute hammering.

Rangers only really had one other chance the whole game when Miller hit the bar with his header. All three of our goals were great, however, all of them could've easily been prevented by half decent defending. Thank **** for Warburton and his fannies hat.

Is it just me?

Maybe thats why i havent watched the whole game back at all Am waiting for the DVD to come out but at this rate i might go to the next party night and relax knowing the outcome Was so uptight i didnt watch the last few minutes properly for looking to the Heavens

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    'What If' Thompson had sent off Black for his blatant leading with his elbow and assault early on in the 5-1 Cup Final??
    Exactly. We've had more than our fair share of rotten decisions in our time. For once we got a fair ref. Just for the record, we still haven't been given any dodgy decisions that have won us any trophies.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Hearts scored twice at Easter road...
    How things could have been different

The opening post looks like a variation of a Rudyard Kipling poem!

My son and I have spoken about what would have happened if it had been Celtic rather than Rangers we faced that day.

After we'd beaten Dundee United I wanted Celtic. My thinking was that we'd catch them unaware and expose them in defence but I was worried about Griffiths. I also thought that I'd rather lose to Celtic in the final than Rangers as you'd expect to get beat form them and have nothing to lose.

But if we had faced Celtic we wouldn't have been able to play Henderson or Stokes...

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    What if Stokesy's shot that hit the post had gone in?
    Was about to post this, these things go both ways.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Every time I watch it I get nervy all over again, which makes no sense whatsoever.

With a bit of luck Stokes could have scored seven and that isn't even an exaggeration.

First Team Breakthrough NZ Green's Avatar
    I watched the highlights for the 2-2 game against Hearts recently. The second goal by Hanlon made me think how many things could have gone wrong for that goal, so many bodies in the box, he even falls over as he hit it - without it though, our summer (winter in my case!) would have been very different, this year would have been very different too. The butterfly affect in all its glory.

Quote Originally Posted by dchibs View Post
    What if Warby had found a magic hat.
    Or a f***ing wand?

I never overthink a footy game now. We won. We deserved to win. All legends and it gave me my best weekend ever. Drink, song, tears. I'm not going to look back at that weekend and say "what if"

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    Hearts scored twice at Easter road...
    How things could have been different
    Both rightly chalked off.