hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"We Are Unbeatable" - A Warning from History.

Does anybody remember the Hearts Fans singing "We are unbeatable" at Easter road a few years back after starting the season impressively?

That backfired on them big time, starting with defeat to Hibs.

While we have had a very impressive start to this season... which I'm delighted about... I just thought I'd put out there the danger of over-confidence, making claims of going the season unbeaten, etc, and how it can back-fire on you big time when you let it go to your head.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    I can think of a few differences between the situations though tbh.

It's a good point but a humpty comparison imo.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Would love to hear us chant we are realistic but it isn't very catchy.

I'm convinced that Neil Lennon will jump on any player who becomes complacent and gives less than 100%. Complacency is our only enemy.
    Yes, it's a great start - the first time since relegation where we have actually hit the ground running, but NL will keep everyone's feet firmly on the ground.
    Last edited by Hi Heid Yin; 28-08-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Does anybody have a story from history where a team longs for a good start to the season, and gets it? A team that the biggest criticism of them is that they don't put teams away, so they do it?

In this example from history were the fans allowed to just enjoy it and live in the moment? Or did folk piss on their parade too?

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    A full strength Hibs team got beat 3-1 by QOTS only a couple of weeks ago which suggests we are very much beatable.

Neil Lennon would have had similar issues when he was managing celtc. A celtc team with better everything in that league, a bit like us in this league. I'm sure that will have been a major factor in bringing him in.

I doubt he'll let complacency set in, quite the reverse.
    Space to let

Yes and there are a few sides in this division, especially when we play them at their own ground, which will be very testing.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can think of a few differences between the situations though tbh.

It's a good point but a humpty comparison imo.
    Great word. Not heard it for a while.

The OP has made a very lazy case for the point he is trying to make I feel.

Of course Hearts are not unbeatable. They are Hearts! They are pish!

We are, unless I am very much mistaken, the wonderful and fabulous Hibernian FC and are therefore, Unbeatable, undefeated, unmatchable, unabating, underrated, unmatched, and in many cases, mine included, under the influence.

Cheers.

Hearts would have won the league that year IMO.

They asked Burley a week before that game and while they still finished 2nd they missed a great opportunity.

Just like May 3rd 1986. As I understand it they had a decent chance to win the league then? But I don't remember? Anyone?

Left by mutual consent!
    This is Hibs we are talking about here, nothing is ever easy.

We should win this league but its no certainty with a lot of games to be played. I am enjoying each game as it comes at this juncture.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Does anybody remember the Hearts Fans singing "We are unbeatable" at Easter road a few years back after starting the season impressively?

While we have had a very impressive start to this season... which I'm delighted about... I just thought I'd put out there the danger of over-confidence, making claims of going the season unbeaten, etc, and how it can back-fire on you big time when you let it go to your head.
    Who's been saying that?
    I think living in the moment is good tho. The moment for me is about 92 mins into the SC Final :)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member CyberSauzee's Avatar
    We'll walk this league. Some very good additions to the squad by a new manager who knows how to keep players grounded.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    Hearts would have won the league that year IMO.

They asked Burley a week before that game and while they still finished 2nd they missed a great opportunity.

Just like May 3rd 1986. As I understand it they had a decent chance to win the league then? But I don't remember? Anyone?
    They did win the league in 1986. I saw a picture of their fans wearing the celebratory T-shirts. Wasn't it Potter himself who lifted the trophy after an outstanding personal performance in the finale?

Might well have gone the season unbeaten if Mad Vlad McMad hadn't sabotaged things because Hurly Burley was 'destroying the club'.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    We won't lose more than 2 or 3 league games this season. We've got every right to be confident :)

We won't go unbeaten but we'll walk the league. I feel like most of those who don't feel that way are stuck in the 'it's hibs' mindset. We are so much better than everyone. Have confidence.

The games that will really count are the games against Dun Utd, Raith, QOS and Falkirk if we deal with them, we will scoosh this league!!

@hibs.net private member
    I'm confident we'll win this division fairly comfortably but I hate this very yammish song

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    We will win the league and Lennon and our fantastic squad will ensure it

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post

Theres a big difference between we are unbeatable and we are going to win the league easily, for what its worth I think we'll win the league easily and get beat 3 or 4 times along the way.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Up until the cup final that game was by far my favourite ever match.

Now third behind the Cup Final and Brondby away.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Think there's a few posters on here getting a tad over optimistic

It's only 4 games into the league

We're definitely, I think, the best team in the division but let's not get too cocky

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Does anybody have a story from history where a team longs for a good start to the season, and gets it? A team that the biggest criticism of them is that they don't put teams away, so they do it?

In this example from history were the fans allowed to just enjoy it and live in the moment? Or did folk piss on their parade too?

This made me laugh.

One of the (many) great points about THAT win in May is that i feel much more relaxed about doing exactly as you say and enjoying the moment

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Nobody should be getting too carried away as we are only 4 games into the season. However the strength and depth we now have in the squad should be enough to get us over the line. Looking at our bench yesterday nearly every one of them would be in the starting line up for any other team in the championship and a good few SPL teams as well.

I've had enough of lets not make boastful statements incase it upsets other teams, f them, its up to them to do something about it.

Football is like that. You get carried away when you are winning, and despondent or disengaged when you are losing.

Lennon will have the players forgetting about the four games gone - apart from points in the bank they mean nothing, and focused on the Dumbarton game. He'll be looking at their weaknesses and how we can exploit them. Yes, they will be up for it but so will we. We'll know what we have to do to win this game.

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    Before the cup final all the negativity used to drag this club down. Time for us to be loud and proud and get the opposition telt, your coming to to the holy ground and were gonna kick your ass.
    45 AND RISING

Sorry but I still think Hibs will batter most teams this season. As I've said before we will drop points but not enough for others to catch us. Lennon won't allow it.

Time to be positive and stop worrying about our first defeat if and when it comes!

@hibs.net private member
    I'm still of the belief we will coast the league and my bold prediction is when we win at East End park on 01/04/17 the league will be won.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Hearts fans are thick as ****. That's the only thing that needs to be said on this matter.

United we stand here....