hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough Chuck D's Avatar

Alex Salmond, Nelson Mandela & Hands Off Hibs

Apologies if already posted but I've just noticed this on the BBC website from earlier in the month:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p043lxnn

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Can't remember Salmond being involved in the HoH campaign but it's still a decent wee story

Enjoyed watching that considering he's a Yam

Remember salmond involved

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't remember Salmond being involved in the HoH campaign but it's still a decent wee story

Nor can I. I smell political BS.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Brog can advise.

On the thread revisiting those fateful days he recounted the story of the petition (I don't recall it being lost - but being "boosted" - nor did the scally political opportunist feature). Not to say it didn't happen. Let's see...
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    well done eck salmond

the programme is on bbc1 on thursday night btw

Blog Entries
    He was there at Downing St along with, as he says, Jim Sillars & George Foulkes but the star of the piece was Gavin Strang. Because of the Mandela meeting running late the officials tried to cancel our appointment. Gavin advised the policeman in somewhat industrial language what would happen if we didn't get in & we duly proceeded.
    Other parts of his story are almost true. The petition, just a front sheet, got lost on the BA plane taking it to London. Kenny McLean faxed a copy to my office where I got it laminated etc & we then rushed to Downing St. The night before, the EN wanted pics of the petition so I got a box loaded with computer paper for the pics which appeared as if live the next day. We were never at any stage at Alex S' office. The chant by the ANC supporters happened but I was the one who went over to talk to them as we were waiting. I got them to wave their green & black scarves & chant "Nelson Mandela says Hands Off Hibs". I will always give him, & George Foulkes great credit for supporting us but Alex S has somewhat exaggerated his part, he is of course a politician, in that crazy day.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    Enjoyed watching that considering he's a Yam

Got to admit Salmond has gone up in my estimation after watching that. I like the vast majority had no idea he had involved himself. It's a fascinating story he told and very funny when he mentioned the ANC supporters outside No 10 waiting for Nelson Mandela had begun chanting ''Hands Off HIbs''.

A brilliant story. Well done Salmond.

@hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar
    I think it sort of did, but Salmond, as is typical of most yams has a massively inflated sense of his own importance and only the sketchiest connection with the historical facts.

I'm convinced it's a yam trait, they remember events in the past happening as they'd have liked them to happen, rather than what actually transpired.

Its the same root as the narrative that has somehow cast them as loveable footballing martyrs who resurrected their club (which had done nothing wrong and definitely hadn't ripped off any charities) after poor loveable Mr Romanov (who they'd all suspected was at it all along) had made a couple of tiny mistakes with his tax returns (which, just to reiterate, definitely didn't cost the taxpayer, small businesses, individuals or charities any money).

Its probably genetic. You've got to remember they swim in a very shallow gene pool, these effects are all magnified.

The story I've heard is that a Hibs fan bumped into Salmond on the tube in London and asked him to sign the petition. Salmond sensed an easy political opportunity and grabbed it but it wasn't something he did unprompted. A lot of yams like to 'remember' that they were backing HoH back then.

Its definitely true that Mandela was a Hibby though, big Mickey Weir fan I believe, though to be fair, who wasn't?

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barcahibs View Post
    I think it sort of did, but Salmond, as is typical of most yams has a massively inflated sense of his own importance and only the sketchiest connection with the historical facts.

I'm convinced it's a yam trait, they remember events in the past happening as they'd have liked them to happen, rather than what actually transpired.

Its the same root as the narrative that has somehow cast them as loveable footballing martyrs who resurrected their club (which had done nothing wrong and definitely hadn't ripped off any charities) after poor loveable Mr Romanov (who they'd all suspected was at it all along) had made a couple of tiny mistakes with his tax returns (which, just to reiterate, definitely didn't cost the taxpayer, small businesses, individuals or charities any money).

Its probably genetic. You've got to remember they swim in a very shallow gene pool, these effects are all magnified.

The story I've heard is that a Hibs fan bumped into Salmond on the tube in London and asked him to sign the petition. Salmond sensed an easy political opportunity and grabbed it but it wasn't something he did unprompted. A lot of yams like to 'remember' that they were backing HoH back then.

Its definitely true that Mandela was a Hibby though, big Mickey Weir fan I believe, though to be fair, who wasn't?
    People believe that Mandela's proudest moment was witnessing a mixed home team lift the Rugby World Cup in a South Africa finally free of the yoke of apartheid.

Reality was he did enjoy it but it was always a distant second for him, compared to Mickey's orchestrating of the Skol Cup Final win.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Fat Eck deviates from the truth to make himself look good? Who'd ever have thought that?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    People believe that Mandela's proudest moment was witnessing a mixed home team lift the Rugby World Cup in a South Africa finally free of the yoke of apartheid.

Reality was he did enjoy it but it was always a distant second for him, compared to Mickey's orchestrating of the Skol Cup Final win.
    I mind him at the Anderlecht game at Easter Road when wee Mickey got sent off. Nelson was in floods of tears, he kept saying "this is the greatest injustice perpetrated against a people in Human history". And it's hard to argue with him, it was a terrible decision from the ref.

That's the reason he switched to following the rugby.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was at an event a year or two ago where Alex Salmond was talking and taking a q& a from the crowd.

Of course some 'wit' from the crowd asked a question which invited Salmond to have a laugh at Hibs expense and a wee gloat about the 5-1. Salmond never took the bait. It wasn't a political event, he didn't really have to be guarded but instead Alex relayed the Hands off Hibs story and was very respectful of Hibs.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    I was at an event a year or two ago where Alex Salmond was talking and taking a q& a from the crowd.

Of course some 'wit' from the crowd asked a question which invited Salmond to have a laugh at Hibs expense and a wee gloat about the 5-1. Salmond never took the bait. It wasn't a political event, he didn't really have to be guarded but instead Alex relayed the Hands off Hibs story and was very respectful of Hibs.
    Maybe he secretly wishes he was a Hibby?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Fat Eck deviates from the truth to make himself look good? Who'd ever have thought that?
    I've certainly never exaggerated a story to make it sound better, ever, and I'm sure you haven't either.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I've certainly never exaggerated a story to make it sound better, ever, and I'm sure you haven't either.
    Neither of us are paid very handsomely to represent the people of this country though? Putting this boards sycophancy towards all things Tartan Tory aside, he's trying to piggyback off the fantastic work of Hands off Hibs - not cool.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Keep politicians away from football.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Maybe he secretly wishes he was a Hibby?
    Don't they all?
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Neither of us are paid very handsomely to represent the people of this country though? Putting this boards sycophancy towards all things Tartan Tory aside, he's trying to piggyback off the fantastic work of Hands off Hibs - not cool.
    Such utter nonsense you spratheth. Why bother?

During the " campaign" I was involved quite a bit behind the scenes thro' my job at the time and a great deal of lobbying of " well kent faces" went on.
    I know of at least a dozen " personalities " who were approached to put their weight behind " HofH" .
    Salmond being one of them I certainly never heard of it being "off his own bat" , so to speak.
    In the situation which prevailed we were appealing to any/everyone to " stand up and be counted "

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Agree 100%

Who remembers Salmond posing for pics outside Tynecastle when he bought a season ticket around the time they went bust? Very noble of him publicly supporting a team who had just bumped loads of local businesses, charities and taxpayers out of fortunes. Literally that same week, he spoke out against a golf club that wasn't allowing female members and said he was going to boycott them on those grounds. Political hypocrisy at its finest.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    I recall that he was.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Such utter nonsense you spratheth. Why bother?
    Because not all of us are fooled by the Tartan Tories ;)

I mind him at the Anderlecht game at Easter Road when wee Mickey got sent off. Nelson was in floods of tears, he kept saying "this is the greatest injustice perpetrated against a people in Human history". And it's hard to argue with him, it was a terrible decision from the ref.

Quite right. How can someone the size of Mickey Weir be accused of having his boot too high?

@hibs.net private member

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Because not all of us are fooled by the Tartan Tories ;)
    Indeed, but not all of the Labour Party were/are Tories in disguise!

I have to say Salmond comes across as being quite decent in this

Coaching Staff
    Yip, not exactly known for self promotion