Retired from international duty.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GlasMatt PSN ID: mrxblaikiex
    Big loss imo

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I knew his time was coming close just by watching him. But I didn't think it was that close. I suppose if he feels he cant finish the qualifying campaign why start it?

He's been crap for Scotland for years so this is welcome news

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Right decision to try and prolong club career given his injuries

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    Right decision to try and prolong club career given his injuries
    Definitely. He's back on form and I suppose he doesn't want to push himself too hard. Gives Super John McGinn a chance as well.

Never understood players retiring from international football. If your good enough and selected you should play, to represent your country is the ultimate honor in football.

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    Never understood players retiring from international football. If your good enough and selected you should play, to represent your country is the ultimate honor in football.
    Playing for Hibs would have been the ultimate honour for me.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Always liked Scott and I respect his decision

At Easter Road we play...

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    I can understand him chucking it to prolong his club career. He's not exactly had an easy ride with injuries. However, two weeks before a new campaign kicks off?

First Team Regular Billy McKirdy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: N?A Wii Code: N?A
    With you on that one. representing your country should be the ultimate honour followed closely by the tram you've supported all your life.

Our country doesn't have too many top class players like Brown who on his day is a class above.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    I can understand him chucking it to prolong his club career. He's not exactly had an easy ride with injuries. However, two weeks before a new campaign kicks off?
    He may well have discussed with Strachan a while ago. No big deal I think.

As you get into your 30s recovery time can take longer. It's not just international fixtures but all the travel involved too. I can understand Scott wanting to retire.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    It is up to him and leaves the door open for others. This is a respectful way to do it I think. Plenty of others have made their wishes clear not to be selected but not shown as much tact.
    On the subject of him not being at his best for Scotland for a while, I would have said he hasn't been at his best since he left us for Celtc.
    Recently re-watched the Ivan 0-3 game and watched him charging the length of the field with ball at his feet. Not sure I have seen that same drive and determination in the shade known as Lesser Green.

He's been rubbish at that level for a good few years. Well done for him seeing what the wee ginger can't.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    He's been rubbish at that level for a good few years. Well done for him seeing what the wee ginger can't.
    👍 Not seen him have a good game for a while. Time for change in the Scotland squad.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Lots of players have managed to prolong their club careers - sometimes even take them to new levels - in their 30s by retiring from the rigours of international football. Gary McAllister is the best example I can think of, signed for Liverpool at the age of 35.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Step forward Super John McGinn.

First Team Regular Highland_Hibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Amusing Munch PSN ID: Amusing_Munch
    He was back in form for Celtic in Europe the other night. It is a respectful decision before a campaign starts IMO. Gives someone like McGinn a platform to launch his Scotland career.

I can understand a player who plays nearly 12 months of the year using the rigours of international football line - Messi travelling around Spain / Europe and South America etc.

But let's face it Scotland are pants and have been for a long time - hence not qualified for a tournament since 1998 - 18 years..

Scotland qualifying group is an extra 10 games and 5 being at home in Glasgow and one in England !

If Celtic stopped playing meaningless friendlies Brown may have more rest time.

Think it's an easy excuse as he knows what's coming in he qualifying.

Imagine giving up the chance to captain scotland when entering the lions den in front 0f 90,000 at Wembley!

One more qualification campaign would have done him no harm.

Blog Entries
    Maybe his time in the Celtic 1st team and captaincy of the club might be on the horizon. Some of the punters on KS have suggested that Liam Henderson might eventually take on the role.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Nobody told me when I should retire.
    It's up to Scott when he wants to - end of.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    He's a very good player. Certain Hibs fans will let the fact that he plays for Celtic get in the way of that. He's been a good servant for Scotland and I've seen him play a heck of a lot of better games than worse!! People absolutely love to stick the boot into Scotland and Scottish players, even when the good results come around!

Fair play to you Mr Brown. Opens up the door to another leader.

Big deal.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Perhaps Celtic having european football till December will have helped make his mind up.

Had a feeling he might do this - you can't argue with the improved performances he has put in after allowing his body to rest over the summer. Whether you agree with the decision or not, all the evidence suggests that playing for Scotland will negatively impact on his club form, and potentially his longevity, at this stage of his career.

They said on the radio that Rodgers and Strachan were having a long chat following the Celtic match the other night. Three topics of conversation I'd imagine would have been Brown, Forrest (sigh) and Griffiths (hopefully).

Left by mutual consent!
    Scotland as a whole, not just Scott Brown, should retire from international football. Or perhaps help to form a lower tier of international football tournaments featuring the also-rans of world football, a sort of 'B' level like the Irn Bru Cup which more accurately reflects our standing in the game. This could be used as a kind of feeder level for a UK team.

Having not qualified for a major tournament in two decades, we're at a stage when the majority of the tartan army won't have experienced Scotland playing at such an event so it's probably no longer that big a deal for most of them that we don't qualify as they still have plenty of away qualifiers to use as an excuse for a party. But at least by playing at a lower level we might actually have a chance of competing at a tournament proper rather than just endless, fruitless qualifying campaigns.

The saddest thing about Scotland is that when you look at how poor Euro 2016 was, we weren't even able to qualify for it despite them expanding the tournament to 24 teams. Let's face it, the other home nations were pretty awful too, despite Wales doing well (their success was largely down to the mediocrity of their opponents), and I maintain that the only way to achieve international success for this country is the formation of a UK team and UK-wide league system.
    Last edited by G B Young; 19-08-2016 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Scotland as a whole, not just Scott Brown, should retire from international football. Or perhaps help to form a lower tier of international football tournaments featuring the also-rans of world football, a sort of 'B' level like the Irn Bru Cup which more accurately reflects our standing in the game. This could be used as a kind of feeder level for a UK team.

Having not qualified for a major tournament in two decades, we're at a stage when the majority of the tartan army won't have experienced Scotland playing at such an event so it's probably no longer that big a deal for most of them that we don't qualify as they still have plenty of away qualifiers to use as an excuse for a party. But at least by playing at a lower level we might actually have a chance of competing at a tournament proper rather than just endless, fruitless qualifying campaigns.

The saddest thing about Scotland is that when you look at how poor Euro 2016 was, we weren't even able to qualify for it despite them expanding the tournament to 24 teams. Let's face it, the other home nations were pretty awful too, despite Wales doing well (their success was largely down to the mediocrity of their opponents), and I maintain that the only way to achieve international success for this country is the formation of a UK team and UK-wide league system.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    In a heartbeat.

Bring him home Neilly!

Did I do that right?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post

Oh.Dear. You are everything that's wrong with the Scottish mentally. In a nutshell.