hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3-5-2 Formation

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

3-5-2 Formation

I think that was the main reason we lost last night. The formation is good when we're up against teams of a similar stature, but not teams who will sit back and defend for 80% of the game.

We were relying solely on Gray and Stevenson to provide width (they're good, but not that good) and playing Keatings behind the strikers meant we only had two recognised midfielders in Bartley and McGinn. McGinn looked lost with no offensive support.

You could see the difference when Lennon subbed off McGregor for Harris right at the end and we went to a flat 4-4-2, but by then it was too late. The blueprint has been established for this division - play with width and pace to beat the wee teams. Using wingbacks solely for that will not work. Here's hoping Lennon realises that and we're using a more conventional formation on Saturday.

2. Log in to remove the advert

but we played 343?? had we played 352 we may not have struggled in midfield in the 2nd half.

We don't need 3 CH's against 1 striker and we need more than 2 CM's against 5 in midfield. 3-4-3 is a very attacking formation giving 5 in attack at times with the wingbacks but the forwards need to score, if they don't take their chances we struggled in the middle, which seemed to be the case last night, Keatings will offer little as a midfielder.

Its technically a 3-4-1-2 formation with wing backs.

Doesnt work against smaller teams who sit back. use the blue print Hearts and Rangers used to get out this league. Fast tempo, out and out wingers and stretch the team.

Said this a few times now, should not be playing with 3 center halfs and a defensive midfielder against teams like QOS.

As has been said already the recurring problem we have is lack of width in the side.

Boyle in my opinion is a very decent player and gives us great pace and directness down the right hand side which we need. If we can get someone similar down the left flank we will be flying.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    but we played 343?? had we played 352 we may not have struggled in midfield in the 2nd half.
    The two aren't that different.

It depends on whether you saw Keatings as an advanced midfielder or a deep forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    As has been said already the recurring problem we have is lack of width in the side.

Boyle in my opinion is a very decent player and gives us great pace and directness down the right hand side which we need. If we can get someone similar down the left flank we will be flying.
    I agree. With Gray and Stevenson getting up the park supporting them and overlapping we'll do better.

4 at the back, Bartley (or a.n.other) can drop in defensively when required.

We'll probably need to drop a striker though.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Wasnt this the exact formation folk were screaming out for last season? We have more or less the same team so the formation shouldnt have been an issue, the players switching off in the second half was the issue not the formation in my opinion

If we're going 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 at home against defensively minded opponents then why not use Boyle, Harris or Carmichael in the wide positions rather than Gray & Stevenson?

As for pinging in a cross, take a look at Michael Doyle when we play Morton. His delivery is absolutely terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    Wasnt this the exact formation folk were screaming out for last season? We have more or less the same team so the formation shouldnt have been an issue, the players switching off in the second half was the issue not the formation in my opinion
    We created enough decent chances to win several games and some of our defending in the last 30 minutes was pitiful.

It doesn't matter what formation you play, if you do these things then you lose games.

Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post

It was but with 3 midfielders not a kid on attacking mid in Keatings who offers nothing in midfield and certainly not a DM like Bartley when you already start with 3 at the back. Fyvie and McGeouch being injured a lot is now proving to be a problem, getting Hendo in will help but I feel we probably need another midfielder if these 2 miss a lot of games.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    We created enough decent chances to win several games and some of our defending in the last 30 minutes was pitiful.

It doesn't matter what formation you play, if you do these things then you lose games.
    I agree completely, i think the players thought it was won and switched off which hopefully lennon will sort out

Any formation that gives McGregor and Fontaine lots of the ball and expects them to pick out passes will not score many goals.If it's not realised that the way to win the league is pace out wide with the ball being played in behind a retreating d fence then the new manager has not been doing his just b.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Any formation that gives McGregor and Fontaine lots of the ball and expects them to pick out passes will not score many goals.If it's not realised that the way to win the league is pace out wide with the ball being played in behind a retreating d fence then the new manager has not been doing his just b.
    Fontaine is very good with the ball at his feet.

Maybe, just maybe, the manager has different ideas than Hibs.net? He was doing his job just fine on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

Maybe, just maybe, the manager has different ideas than Hibs.net? He was doing his job just fine on Saturday.

He's a centre half,giving him plenty of the ball while the other team falls back is counter productive.Saturday was a different game and the ball was hoofed half the time given the pitch and weather.If the manager doesn't have different ideas to us then we really are in trouble.This is a forum where fans give their opinions so no need for silly remarks.

Gray was playing as a winger. All the QOS goals could have been stopped if he had been playing full back.

Formation to blame and Lennon slow to change.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    Gray was playing as a winger. All the QOS goals could have been stopped if he had been playing full back.

Formation to blame and Lennon slow to change.
    When you have a wingback getting caught up the park, the other defenders need to rotate round and cover. It's not the formation but the way the players play the formation.

Or - if we take one of our easy chances we can change it and keep Gray at fullback.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    When you have a wingback getting caught up the park, the other defenders need to rotate round and cover. It's not the formation but the way the players play the formation.

Or - if we take one of our easy chances we can change it and keep Gray at fullback.
    Gray plays 10 yards higher than Stevenson. Presume it is planned as it happens all the time. It works when we get the crosses in but it also isolates McGregor - how often is Gray available short compared to the outlet that Fontain has with Stevenson. At one point in the first half Cummings was covering right-back.

Last night we were slow to adapt to Hammil going off and being replaced with a wing-back.

Also noted we only had 4 right footed [outfield] players in the starting line-up.

"Fontaine is very good with the ball at his feet"!?!? Do you watch the games?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyFantastic View Post
    I think Fontaine is good with the ball at his feet. He was a bit tentative defensively once or twice last night but generally he's a good defender.

I tell you what really pisses me off about Fontaine though - these bloody headers he misses! That one he missed last night was an absolute sitter and it's not like he doesn't have previous for this. I hate to think how many free headers from within 8 yards or so he's missed for us. If he scores and it goes to 2-0 then that is a very different game - Queens need to come out a bit more, there's more space and we can pick them off.

I don't think the criticism for our finishing should be restricted to just the strikers.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    The issue wasn't with the formation we started with, it was the lack of changes in the second half to counter QOS who had put Dobbie wide left against a tiring Gray meaning he sat back more and we lost the width. Should have taken off one of the centre halfs at 1-0 put Boyle / Harris or Carmichael wide right. You could have played Keatings wide left or subbed him as well for another winger. Would have strengthened the middle of the park and given us more options to stretch them.

Interesting that 6 of our 11 starting outfield players were left footed. I cant imagine that this is something that happens very often in football.

Left footed players are in general more one footed than right sided players and a couple of the players are certainly very one footed (Stevenson & Keatings).

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    We had plenty chances to score and win the game whatever system or formation was used.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyFantastic View Post
    Yes I do. Fontaine is clearly very good with the ball at his feet. There is a reason he plays on his preferred side and steps into midfield so often. Did you see his goal in the league cup final? Technically he is very solid for a central defender.

Yes I do. Fontaine is clearly very good with the ball at his feet. There is a reason he plays on his preferred side and steps into midfield so often. Did you see his goal in the league cup final? Technically he is very solid for a central defender.
    fonts is shocking with the ball at his feet.

He 9/10 out gives possession away when he steps into midfield, also ends up looking like a rabbit in the headlights whenever hes running forward.

Solid defender but should leave the all playing to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Trev. View Post
    fonts is shocking with the ball at his feet.

He 9/10 out gives possession away when he steps into midfield, also ends up looking like a rabbit in the headlights whenever hes running forward.

Solid defender but should leave the all playing to others.
    I don't even know what to say to that. If you genuinely think Fontaine gives the ball away 9 times out of 10 then there is nothing I can say that'll help you.

I don't even know what to say to that. If you genuinely think Fontaine gives the ball away 9 times out of 10 then there is nothing I can say that'll help you.
    It would appear i need to help you with your reading skills.

I said, he loses the ball 9/10 when he steps into midfield...

I.e when hes stepped up and trys to force a move, like hes a creative player, which he isnt. Hes a defender. We have midfielders to do that...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    His distribution is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    His distribution is awful.
    Vs Falkirk on Sat he played the first pass in both goals. I wish all our players distribution was that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Trev. View Post
    It would appear i need to help you with your reading skills.

I said, he loses the ball 9/10 when he steps into midfield...

I.e when hes stepped up and trys to force a move, like hes a creative player, which he isnt. Hes a defender. We have midfielders to do that...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Except we don't because the 2 midfield players we have who take the ball off the back 4 are injured.

Fontaine doesn't even lose the ball 2/10 times he steps into midfield, I suggest to watch the game a bit closer.

Trys? hes? i? isnt? I don't think it's my reading that is the problem.