hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Falkirk want to change the play off system

http://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/club-stat...off-structure/

Falkirk Football Club Chairman, Doug Henderson has released the following statement regarding the SPFL Divisional Meeting, which was held last week, during which he discussed the structure of the SPFL play-offs.
    Doug raised the unfairness of the current system. The SPFL Meeting agreed that the next meeting of Championship sides would discuss the issue to try to come forward with a common proposal. The Competitions and Events Committee of the SPFL also agreed that they would review the matter including any proposal from the Championship Meeting.
    Doug Henderson said: “The current system is extremely popular with supporters as was shown from the great response from all Clubs during the play-offs over the last three years.
    But, it has also been shown that it is extremely difficult for a Championship side to win through in up to 6 games when a Premier League side only has to play two. I have proposed that there should be a one off play-off at each stage in the competition so that the maximum number of games a Championship side would play is 3.
    I think it is possible to restructure the competition without losing any funding. A single game with extra time and penalties at a neutral venue would attract a crowd, in most cases, which would be greater than the sum of the attendances in a two leg play-off. This year, for instance, the Falkirk v Hibs game drew 11,000 at Easter Road and 8,000 at Falkirk. If the game had been played at a neutral venue (like Hampden) on a one-off tie then, in most years, the attendance would be at least 30,000. By comparison, I would estimate that a Falkirk v Dunfermline play-off at Hampden would attract a crowd of over 20,000 – which would be in excess of the sum of the attendances in a two leg match.
    Some might argue that the TV money would be lost, but the total TV money in this year’s play-offs was £200,000. By comparison, a Quarter Final in the Scottish Cup would attract a TV revenue of £160,000. On this basis it seems to me that it would be more attractive to TV companies to have one-off play-offs with the result at the end of each match and I believe this could be reflected in the income received.”

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    It's a better option than the current one, but it ought to be - Premiership team plays 4th in Championship over 2 legs, and the winner plays the winner of 2nd and 3rd place in Championship.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a better option than the current one, but it ought to be - Premiership team plays 4th in Championship over 2 legs, and the winner plays the winner of 2nd and 3rd place in Championship.
    This seems far too sensible!

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    The playoffs to the top league were designed to keep the status quo. Then we royally screwed that up.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    Or if they want to keep 6 games then the 2nd bottom Premiership club goes into a mini league with 2nd, 3rd and 4th of the Championship. Play each side home and away with the winner going up.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Kay-Yay View Post
    Or if they want to keep 6 games then the 2nd bottom Premiership club goes into a mini league with 2nd, 3rd and 4th of the Championship. Play each side home and away with the winner going up.
    this is a no no imagine us playing all these games and then playing a final, also what happens if you were bottom after two games crowds would plummet . Leave it how it is , we're going up anyway let Falkirk and the rest scrap away

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Just be done with it and make it two up - two down. Reward for having a solid Championship season, and relegation for poor season in top flight. No escape mechanism to favour the premier league.

@hibs.net private member
    Still a wrong system. It should be two semi-final and a final with the final played at a neutral ground. His guess on attendances are wild speculation, 30000 never turned up for the SC semi final so very unlikely to get that for a play off semi.

First Team Regular
    Current system is fact, especially with games so close together. They didn't factor in championships teams going far in the Scottish Cup either, like us who went ALL the way :)

Either 2nd v 3rd 2 legs then 2 legs against 2nd bottom. 4th placed team out of 10 shouldn't be getting into a play off.

Or 11th v 4th and 2nd v 3rd and final over 1 leg at a neutral ground.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    3rd v4th (1 game - home advantage to 3rd)
    2nd v winner (home adv to 2nd)

2nd bottom v winner - neutral venue.

Keeps advantage to premier team (less games) but better chance for championship team.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Just be done with it and make it two up - two down. Reward for having a solid Championship season, and relegation for poor season in top flight. No escape mechanism to favour the premier league.
    This with bells on. Revamp the Spfl to two leagues playing each other once home and once away with three or four up and down. Playing each other four five six or even seven times a season is bioring and nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ergye View Post
    The reason that promotion to the premier is decided on a different basis from other divisions is that the Premier teams play 38 fixtures while other divisions play 36. To do what you suggest would need either the premier cramming an extra two weekday evening match days into an already crowded schedule, or to have the championship playoff teams kicking their heels for a week or two while the premier season finishes.

I reckon the best compromise would be the championship teams playing over one leg rather than two. The winners would then have played 37 or 38 games and meet a premier team that's played 38. If playoffs are to be over one leg I'd have the games between teams from the same divsion at the higher placed team's ground as a reward for the season's performance.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Me too.

Promotion

Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post
    The reason that promotion to the premier is decided on a different basis from other divisions is that the Premier teams play 38 fixtures while other divisions play 36. To do what you suggest would need either the premier cramming an extra two weekday evening match days into an already crowded schedule, or to have the championship playoff teams kicking their heels for a week or two while the premier season finishes.

I reckon the best compromise would be the championship teams playing over one leg rather than two. The winners would then have played 37 or 38 games and meet a premier team that's played 38. If playoffs are to be over one leg I'd have the games between teams from the same divsion at the higher placed team's ground as a reward for the season's performance.
    Go with the English system. 3 relegated, automatic promotion for top 2 then the next 4 play off home and away with the final at Hampden or another suitable neutral venue. Relegating 3 from the Premeier would liven up a boring league.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Falkirk's suggestion is far better but the SPL sides will be having none of it.

We know our top league club are only interested in sooking the Old Firm boaby and don't give a flying fancy about creating a decent product.

I think that is a great statement and bang on. Don't like Falkirk but your man here makes a great argument

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Its not a bad option compared to the current loaded system but I favour the old two up two down system, better reflection of how well / badly a team has done over the season and they get the reward their overall performance deserves.

The fact that it's Falkirk would make me put in an exclusion that no teams with plastic pitches, three stands,a budget fixation as a default argument for everything and a purple heided Billy Broon wannabe as manager should ever be allowed to compete for promotion.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Another good shout. Quite a few good suggestions here which are all better than the one the suits currently go with. Says a lot

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Its not a bad option compared to the current loaded system but I favour the old two up two down system, better reflection of how well / badly a team has done over the season and they get the reward their overall performance deserves.

The fact that it's Falkirk would make me put in an exclusion that no teams with plastic pitches, three stands,a budget fixation as a default argument for everything and a purple heided Billy Broon wannabe as manager should ever be allowed to compete for promotion.
    Agree with all of this.

Coaching Staff
    Has there been 3 and the championship team won 1 of them?

Not overwhelming evidence that it needs fixed. You'd expect your top league team to be a bit better. You want the correct team in the correct league. 1 game can be a lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Has there been 3 and the championship team won 1 of them?

Not overwhelming evidence that it needs fixed. You'd expect your top league team to be a bit better. You want the correct team in the correct league. 1 game can be a lottery.
    True, but it's hard to argue that it isn't lopsided when it comes to the championship playing 6 games compare to thetop flight team playing 2.
    Particularly on the evidence of the 3 years to date.

Not to mention, the 1 year it was a championship team that won, was in circumstances of an horrific collapse from the prem team....

Ps.. there'll never by 30,000 at a 1 off play of semi final been the likes of Falkirk and raith

I'm not sure a team finishing 4th in a 10-team league should be in with any chance of promotion but the play-offs have been a reasonable success in generating interest & income.

11th v 4th over two legs

2nd v 3rd over two legs

final - one-off, neutral venue

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    Falkirk's suggestion is far better but the SPL sides will be having none of it.

We know our top league club are only interested in sooking the Old Firm boaby and don't give a flying fancy about creating a decent product.
    Sadly your right. I knew as soon as Sevco went up that would be the end of all reconstruction talk as Doncaster has his four bigot bashes back and the rest of Scottish football can GTF

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavinho View Post
    Ps.. there'll never by 30,000 at a 1 off play of semi final been the likes of Falkirk and raith
    Thats what struck me about the idea... i think he wad being wildly optimistic with his crowd estimates.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Win the league and let Falkirk and Utd fret over the play off system :)
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

There are loads of things you could do with the play off system. I have to say I think he is grossly over-estimating how many of his own fans would turn up for a play off final. Think he's being a bit optimistic there based on how many of them have turned up at recent Hampden games.

Does this show that they are looking at a playoff spot even now?? Appears they are accepting that we will win the league perhaps!!

I think it Is weighted unfairly towards the premier league team so they do have a point!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Still a wrong system. It should be two semi-final and a final with the final played at a neutral ground. His guess on attendances are wild speculation, 30000 never turned up for the SC semi final so very unlikely to get that for a play off semi.
    Yep Falkirk barely had 5k for either of the recent semi finals against us.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
    I'm not sure a team finishing 4th in a 10-team league should be in with any chance of promotion but the play-offs have been a reasonable success in generating interest & income.

11th v 4th over two legs

2nd v 3rd over two legs

final - one-off, neutral venue
    Much fairer system.