hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Thomson

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Just can't warm to the guy, but that probably says more about me than him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hypothetical scenario.

A team's star striker scores the only goal of the game in each of the earlier rounds but gets injured in training the week before the final and misses out completely. A youngster is added to the bench for the final and doesn't get on the pitch.

Under current rules the youngster that never played gets a medal and the key player in reaching the final doesn't.

By all means restrict the presentation to the match day squad, but the other players should also receive a medal.

It's not that hypothetical as Malonga and Thomson played a more important role than Dagnall in our cup run.
    In that scenario I wouldn't give the star striker a medal. You get a cup medal for winning the cup final, not for winning in the semi or quarter.

If Daniel Craig ever wins an Oscar for playing Bond, will Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan be in the Evening News greeting about how they deserve an Oscar too, cos if it wasn't for them Daniel Craig wouldn't have had the chance to be in that film?

@hibs.net private member
    Hypothetical scenario.

A team's star striker scores the only goal of the game in each of the earlier rounds but gets injured in training the week before the final and misses out completely. A youngster is added to the bench for the final and doesn't get on the pitch.

Under current rules the youngster that never played gets a medal and the key player in reaching the final doesn't.

By all means restrict the presentation to the match day squad, but the other players should also receive a medal.

It's not that hypothetical as Malonga and Thomson played a more important role than Dagnall in our cup run.
    I suppose Denis Law must have been a bit put out in 1968 and Joe McBride the year before. But they both missed out through injury.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I've always found it odd how we disregard pretty much everything The Daily Record prints as total dross, but a few ghost written comments attributed to Kevin Thomson many years ago in that very rag appears to still be taken as gospel by many Hibs fans. Baffling.
    Absolutely spot on but a few posters have entrenched views and nothing will ever change that unfortunately.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Hypothetical scenario.

If that scenario is supposed to change my mind it doesn't.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Even when he tries to act all humble he fails badly.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

First Team Breakthrough
    Played a massive part in our Scottish cup win the boys oright by me .

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    But whether or not he got a medal for sitting in the stand was not really what that day was about.
    His first two terms at Hibs were marred by dressing room unrest which he was at the centre of on both occasions.
    His latest time appears to have been cut short with Hibs deciding not to offer the proposed coaching role. I think it's the right decision.
    I thought he was a great player first time round and was happy to take him back again (much like I would be happy to take back Allan) but when it happened again he should not have got a third chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And now he's greeting about how he was more deserving of a medal than other players who earned their place in the cup final squad. Right you are KT, enjoy the crawl to junior level football.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    And now he's greeting about how he was more deserving of a medal than other players who earned their place in the cup final squad. Right you are KT, enjoy the crawl to junior level football.

never let the truth get in the way of a good story....KT has never said he was more deserving of a medal than anyone...he simply wishes that Hibs had secured some more for those who played a part in earlier rounds, but didn't play a part in the final...

Honestly, some Hibs fans just love to hate....in my view KT has more than made up for any mistakes he made when he left first time...Do people recall that he played for nothing for a period? Also his header of the line at the PBS kept us in the cup - big respect from me..

I also noticed someone raising dressing room unrest from his time under Butcher..well I hope it's true - because someone needed to stand up to that man who was taking us to an all time low...How he gets pelters for that I'll never know..

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I disagree and believe it would devalue the medal and would mean nothing to a player who hadn't been involved with the squad on cup final day.Medals should be awarded for the occasion of winning the cup competition not merely being involved early on.
    I totally agree
    Would hibs have won with Thomson in the team that day
    I doubt it. Ross County !!!!!!!

It's the finalists who win the game and it's fair that they get the medals.
    That's life

As said, the fans deserve medals and since he's a fan I suppose he gets one.

But he'll be well back in the queue.

Can't forget that performance against Hamilton at ER. And KT missed a penalty too.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    never let the truth get in the way of a good story....KT has never said he was more deserving of a medal than anyone...he simply wishes that Hibs had secured some more for those who played a part in earlier rounds, but didn't play a part in the final...
    "I maybe played a bigger part than some of the boys who sat on the bench.”

Is that someone in the media twisting what he's said...again?

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

Na just someone on a fans forum over analysing what he's said... again

@hibs.net private member

that might be a fair analysis from KT...but where in that statement does he say he deserves a medal before them?

Gamer IDs

that might be a fair analysis from KT...but where in that statement does he say he deserves a medal before them?
    Wether it's implied or not, that's how I read it.

Then that's your opinion not what he says.

@hibs.net private member
    So did you read the rest of the article when he is more specific ...wishing that Hibs had arranged for more medals, happy to pay for it himself? David Gray supporting his views ?

Gamer IDs

So did you read the rest of the article when he is more specific ...wishing that Hibs had arranged for more medals, happy to pay for it himself? David Gray supporting his views ?
    Aye I read the whole article. You can make out like what he says isn't a bit of a dickish thing to say all you want, I don't care.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Then that's your opinion not what he says.
    Aye, in my opinion, that's what he implies.

Honestly, some Hibs fans just love to hate....in my view KT has more than made up for any mistakes he made when he left first time...Do people recall that he played for nothing for a period? Also his header of the line at the PBS kept us in the cup - big respect from me..

I also noticed someone raising dressing room unrest from his time under Butcher..well I hope it's true - because someone needed to stand up to that man who was taking us to an all time low...How he gets pelters for that I'll never know..
    I brought up Butcher. Butcher was a disaster for this club that we have still to fully recover from. There is no doubt about that and I'm not trying to minimise his role in any way.
    However, the players also downed tools and Kevin Thomson was the ring leader. We did not need players walking off during training sessions, having stand up rows at training in the week of the play offs etc.
    If Thomson thought Butcher was a dinosaur with disastrous old fashioned tactics ( he was) then perhaps it would have been better not to point it out to him in front of all the young players and undermine him. It set a chain of events which led to complete war between players and management which led to relegation.
    We all knew it was happening. It was well documented on here and there were new stories daily about training ground bust ups on the PM board. All I really wanted throughout all that was the players to back down and focus on getting that one win over the last 8 or so games that would have kept us safe. They couldn't do it and it carried on all the way to the Hamilton debacle.
    The players did not try a leg on that day. Why would they want success for butcher. Sub consciously or not, they wanted him to fail and they delivered. I have never seen a worse performance from a Hibs team ever. I won't see worse again I hope.
    There were others who could have stopped it all. Petrie knew what was going on. He should have sacked Butcher weeks previously.
    I didn't want him back a third time and given that the club moved the goal posts on his coaching offer I think it's clear someone at Easter road also decided it was not worth having him around.
    I don't hate KT, I wish him well in the future but I don't want him anywhere near Easter road. He may be a Hibs fan but he has never put the club before himself.
    He gone now so it doesn't really matter. I understand other hold different views of him. That's fine by me.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    If KT wanted winners medals at hibs, he could have tried a bit harder to get on with John Collins for six months, and definitely won a league cup and maybe a Scottish too.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    In that scenario I wouldn't give the star striker a medal. You get a cup medal for winning the cup final, not for winning in the semi or quarter.

If Daniel Craig ever wins an Oscar for playing Bond, will Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan be in the Evening News greeting about how they deserve an Oscar too, cos if it wasn't for them Daniel Craig wouldn't have had the chance to be in that film?
    The Raith Hibs game was the opening scene of the latest bond film. Malonga played a starring role in that scene as the bird that Bond seduces before being killed off as no longer required.

Thomson played an important role in subsequent parts of the movie. And then David Gray starred as Bond in the final scenes to defeat the baddies. Stokes was Q and Stubbs was M. Conrad Logan was the heaving chested Bond girl who was far more useful in battle than you might think on first sight.

Pierce Brosnan was more like Keith Wright and Sean Connery was Pat Stanton in previous films. :)
    Last edited by LaMotta; 24-07-2016 at 10:35 AM.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    The Raith Hibs game was the opening scene of the latest bond film. Malonga played a starring role in that scene as the bird that Bond seduces before being killed off as no longer required.

Thomson played an important role in subsequent parts of the movie. And then David Gray starred as Bond in the final scenes to defeat the baddies. Stokes was Q and Stubbs was M. Conrad Logan was the heaving chested Bond girl who was far more useful in battle than you might think on first sight.

Pierce Brosnan was more like Keith Wright and Sean Connery was Pat Stanton in previous films. :)
    Chick Young was Oddjob.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    his quotes in the daily record are only taken seriously IMO because he has a habit of appearing in the press sounding a bit sorry for himself, rather than just letting his playing do the talking.

he made a massive contribution to our cup win, by keeping us in the tournament, and for that we should be thankful, but all he does by bleating in the press about how hard done by he feels is undermine himself. he's no poor wee lamb, but his conviction of being one is what dilutes his stature amongst hibs fans. frankly, he needs to get over himself and be glad to have seen hibs win the cup. we've never heard riordan complaining about this sort of thing, and we all know what hibs mean to him

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    his quotes in the daily record are only taken seriously IMO because he has a habit of appearing in the press sounding a bit sorry for himself, rather than just letting his playing do the talking.

he made a massive contribution to our cup win, by keeping us in the tournament, and for that we should be thankful, but all he does by bleating in the press about how hard done by he feels is undermine himself. he's no poor wee lamb, but his conviction of being one is what dilutes his stature amongst hibs fans. frankly, he needs to get over himself and be glad to have seen hibs win the cup. we've never heard riordan complaining about this sort of thing, and we all know what hibs mean to him
    Agree with it all bar Riordan. Didn't I see an interview with him recently blaming his mates for all his off field antics? Running theme amongst football players that everyone else but them are to blame when things go sour...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I brought up Butcher. Butcher was a disaster for this club that we have still to fully recover from. There is no doubt about that and I'm not trying to minimise his role in any way.
    However, the players also downed tools and Kevin Thomson was the ring leader. We did not need players walking off during training sessions, having stand up rows at training in the week of the play offs etc.
    If Thomson thought Butcher was a dinosaur with disastrous old fashioned tactics ( he was) then perhaps it would have been better not to point it out to him in front of all the young players and undermine him. It set a chain of events which led to complete war between players and management which led to relegation.
    We all knew it was happening. It was well documented on here and there were new stories daily about training ground bust ups on the PM board. All I really wanted throughout all that was the players to back down and focus on getting that one win over the last 8 or so games that would have kept us safe. They couldn't do it and it carried on all the way to the Hamilton debacle.
    The players did not try a leg on that day. Why would they want success for butcher. Sub consciously or not, they wanted him to fail and they delivered. I have never seen a worse performance from a Hibs team ever. I won't see worse again I hope.
    There were others who could have stopped it all. Petrie knew what was going on. He should have sacked Butcher weeks previously.
    I didn't want him back a third time and given that the club moved the goal posts on his coaching offer I think it's clear someone at Easter road also decided it was not worth having him around.
    I don't hate KT, I wish him well in the future but I don't want him anywhere near Easter road. He may be a Hibs fan but he has never put the club before himself.
    He gone now so it doesn't really matter. I understand other hold different views of him. That's fine by me.

So, let me get this straight...you are saying that Thomson led the players to stop trying and as a result was one of the reasons behind us getting relegated ?

Whilst I've read on the pm board about dust ups and disputes between senior players and Butcher/ Malpas...I've never read what you are suggesting..

All I've heard is that KT , McPake and others from before xmas were standing up against bullying and training ground behaviour with was not helping - subsequently proven to be true...I've never read anywhere that players stopped trying...it is though almost impossible to do your job properly when your management is sucking the soul and motivation from the team...

I'm glad he came back, had he not headed the ball off the line at Tynie, and played well in the replay we likely wouldn't have won the cup..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cups are no different to the leagues in that every game counts towards winning because if you don't win, you're knocked out. Yet league medals are handed out to far more than just those players involved in the decisive game.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post

Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Can't believe the stick KT gets on here.

He is a boyhood hibee. Played a successful part in Mowbray's time here and managed to pull £2m into the club from his transfer to Rangers, RIP.

Comments made were taken out of context however, his wages quadrupled going from Hibs to Rangers. Who wouldn't go?

Came back to Hibs and played for free. Stood up to Terry Butcher and was taking out of the first team until it was too late. Had the balls to take a penalty to try and save our club!

In the 3rd spell he has played a part in the club winning the SC after all those years. After leaving Hibs after wanting to continue as some kind of coach, states he wants to become the manager one day - at his boyhood club.

Leave the guy alone, he's been good for us all in and the club has been good for him.

All the best to KT and Tranent this year.

At Easter Road we play...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman1875 View Post
    Can't believe the stick KT gets on here.

He is a boyhood hibee. Played a successful part in Mowbray's time here and managed to pull £2m into the club from his transfer to Rangers, RIP.

Comments made were taken out of context however, his wages quadrupled going from Hibs to Rangers. Who wouldn't go?

Came back to Hibs and played for free. Stood up to Terry Butcher and was taking out of the first team until it was too late. Had the balls to take a penalty to try and save our club!

In the 3rd spell he has played a part in the club winning the SC after all those years. After leaving Hibs after wanting to continue as some kind of coach, states he wants to become the manager one day - at his boyhood club.

Leave the guy alone, he's been good for us all in and the club has been good for him.

All the best to KT and Tranent this year.

At Easter Road we play...

Well said.

if he didn't say those things, he could easily have said so publicly at the time.

but instead, he allowed the club to be put through weeks of instability, as our captain. rather than apologise, he seems to think he's been hard done by?

no problem him going to rangers for the £s, it was the way he did it and the failure to take responsibility that i have never liked.