hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Which game is the greatest in our history?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hearts 0 - Hibernian 7 (1st Jan 1973)

14 10.94%
  • The Rangers 2 - Hibernian 3 (21st May 2016)

114 89.06%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greatest game in our history? Has opinion changed?

Don't think this has been raised in last few weeks but will be interesting to see everyone's reaction.

Until 21/05/16 it has been without a shadow of doubt the "self proclaimed" game on 01/01/1973.
    There are others that might come into contention but for me it's a straight fight between just the two.

Now what do you think?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    21/05 for me. For a start I was there. We also broke a 114 year hoodoo after being a goal down with 11 minutes left. And against THEM

I was at both. There is no doubt in my mind that 7-0 was a great football performance; but for emotion and the overall meaning of the day the final has to be the greatest in my (lengthy) lifetime. I would also include the game v Napoli, the friendly v Real Madrid, the League Cup final(s) and the 6-2. There are others which were significant for many reasons but the cup final ended a jinx and, let's face it, most of us didn't believe it would ever happen.

Left by mutual consent!
    There won't be a greater game in the history of our club, personally and professionally than 210516. It meant so much in so many aspects.

I still can't believe we won the Scottish cup. A millions times better than 6-2 so it has to be better than 0-7.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    We've won the Scottish Cup three times.
    However, we' be only beaten Hearts 7-0 once.
    I'm an old timer so I'll go for the latter.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We've won the Scottish Cup three times.
    However, we' be only beaten Hearts 7-0 once.
    I'm an old timer so I'll go for the latter.
    There are a few contenders Barcelona at ER Real Madrid (Only. Friendly) Napoli Sporting Lisbon 7-0 LC final 2-1 v Celtic All fantastic performances

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    I'm only 24 and that game on 21/05/2016 will live with me until I die, can't imagine what it must have felt like for you older lot who have waited so long for it. What a time to be alive.

Has to be for me, certainly in my life time. Can't get better than the cup final

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by belhavenbill View Post
    I was at both. There is no doubt in my mind that 7-0 was a great football performance; but for emotion and the overall meaning of the day the final has to be the greatest in my (lengthy) lifetime. I would also include the game v Napoli, the friendly v Real Madrid, the League Cup final(s) and the 6-2. There are others which were significant for many reasons but the cup final ended a jinx and, let's face it, most of us didn't believe it would ever happen.
    I would add the Barcelona 3-2 game to your list, but agree with your thinking. 7-0 was the best hangover cure ever, but the final tops them all.

Maybe winning the Europa League this season will equal it though?

In my 45th year of watching Hibs. SC win tops everything else.

21st of May. Easily. No doubt about it

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    The greatest moment in my life as a football fan never mind just Hibs. I just can't put into words the emotions of that day.

I imagine that having kids must be an amazing feeling.

I don't have any kids though so when SDG's header hit the net, that was undeniably the best feeling I've had in my entire life.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    The song needs to remain the same but 21st May was the greatest day. So long since we last won it, so emotional for everyone there. I can remember every bit of it and will never ever forget it. I have never felt anything like the feeling when the winner went in and then the final whistle.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    I vaguely remember 7-0 as I was about 6. It was, and remains, our best result against them in living memory, even though for me the 6-2 is much more a first hand memory. But it was a league match, and was ultimately just another two points. 21 May on the other hand was a cup final, and nothing in football ever has, or ever will, come close to that for me.
    ​#PERSEVERED

We've played in south Morrocco (have we?)
    And we've played in the USA
    But the second greatest game in history was the game on new years day 7-0.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    I was at both of them. 0-7 I was 11 and although I knew it was special I was too young to really appreciate it. So it's 21/05/2016 for me. GGTTH

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    There's no argument for it being the greatest game in our history but the 6-2 game holds a special place in my heart.

I think I enjoyed that as much as I enjoyed the cup win as crazy as that sounds.

Has to be seeing Stokesy terrifying the Hun Defence with David Gray scoring the winner in the last couple of minutes. and watching him lift the Cup.

Not to have been there to see it would have haunted me forever. Just magic.

Glory Glory

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!

Sevco 2-3 Hibernian

O

i was 12 when my grandfather took me to Tynecastle on 01/01/1793 , but to be at Hampden with both my sons to see us win the Scottish Cup bests everything hands down.
    There can't be many of us alive that have been to both, perhaps we should have our own supporters branch.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwastherein73 View Post
    i was 12 when my grandfather took me to Tynecastle on 01/01/1793 , but to be at Hampden with both my sons to see us win the Scottish Cup bests everything hands down.
    There can't be many of us alive that have been to both, perhaps we should have our own supporters branch.
    Count me in!

Quote Originally Posted by Iwastherein73 View Post
    Branch name - Sir David's Tornadoes (SDT for short)

And Anyone who PLAYED in one and spectated at the other a life member!

We've played in South Morocco
    and we've played in the USA
    But the greatest game in history
    Was on Saturday 21 May.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    There's not a game comes close to 21st May.

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post

Sevco 2-3 Hibernian
    Got to be this!
    I'm 61, just never thought I would see the day!

@hibs.net private member thebakerboy's Avatar
    Find it difficult to decide. First match at ER was 1952 and have been at all the matches mentioned . Teenager for the Barca riot game , and again when we beat Real in a friendly so excitement was high.Also young adult for 7 0 and actually dreamed the score again as a teenager against Naples.So after all that excitement as a youngster at 68 even after all those failed finals , very happy about the cup win, but perhaps past being very excited about any football result and carrying my father(he was pissed) out of the 7 0 is still the high point my Hibs supporting years, especially as it was 3 0 before we got in.

I wasn't born in 1973 so I obviously didn't attend the 7-0 game however despite how good it must have been to see a Hibs team humiliate them in their own backyard, I find it very hard to believe that anything could beat the experience of 21/05/2016.

That's as good as it gets for me.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    I was 21 for the 0-7 game and my name on here does enough to suggest that I thought it was the Greatest Game in History. Then along came 21.05.16. I have laughed so many times about the former but I cried at Hampden and many times since. The emotion after so many disappointments, so much hurt coupled with that dramatic 92nd minute goal against the most vile football club in the world will never ever leave me. It was the Greatest Day in History.

I wasn't at the 0 - 7 game, but was at the 6 - 2 game .... what a night that was, to watch us utterly humble the Yams was a joyful experience.

But nothing I have ever felt inside a football ground has ( or probably ever will ) come close to the raw emotion I felt inside Hampden park on 21-05-2016 .... not only my emotion but that of the Hibs fans all around me, it was so palpable you could almost reach out and touch it, the pandemonium when David Gray's header hit the net was more like being in an explosion than in a football crowd celebrating a goal.

I don't think I am overstating the case to say that in my opinion few football supporters can have felt what we did that day .... the circumstances are nearly impossible to replicate unless you follow a club like Hibs with our history.

21 - 05 - 2016 is without doubt the single greatest day in this clubs history.