hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lewis

Lewis

I'm just watching the Cup Final. Again. As you do.

It never struck me before how good Stevenson was. There was a couple of heavy touches early on but three quarters of Sevcos attacks were coming down their right and Waghorn and Tavernier got closed down or dispossesed again and again and again. He was simply outstanding in a quiet way and was still matching his man for pace right to the end. And I don't think I can even watch his face lifting the Cup without bursting into tears again. You can tell he was as happy as any of us.

Hibs Legend.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 23-06-2016 at 09:13 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just watching the Cup Final. Again. As you do.

It never struck me before how good Stevenson was. There was a couple of heavy touches early on but three quarters of Sevcos attacks were coming down their right and Waghorn and Tavernier got closed down or dispossesed again and again and again. He was simply outstanding in a quite way and was still matching his man for pace right to the end. And I don't think in can even watch his face lifting the Cup without bursting into years again. You can tell he was as happy as any of us.

Hibs Legend.
    Over the past 2 seasons he has put in some quite outstanding individual performances against Sevco.

Tavernier and Waghorn had been getting great plaudits for their attacking play but Stevenson has consistently stood up to them and come out on top.

He was outstanding defensively in the cup final, one of the main features of our victory and imo even better than he was in 2007 when he was MOTM.

Couple of posters on here said lewis testimonial committee was set up a few weeks ago. Any news?

Would be gutted to see his testimonial year pass without a tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Over the past 2 seasons he has put in some quite outstanding individual performances against Sevco.

Tavernier and Waghorn had been getting great plaudits for their attacking play but Stevenson has consistently stood up to them and come out on top.

He was outstanding defensively in the cup final, one of the main features of our victory and imo even better than he was in 2007 when he was MOTM.
    Lewis said himself he thought Benji or Fletcher deserved it in 2007. Which is typical of him really

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    Couple of posters on here said lewis testimonial committee was set up a few weeks ago. Any news?

From what I've heard, there will be a testimonial with various events organised.

The Proclaimers will be involved.

Or so I'm told.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post

September 3rd for a testimonial Dinner

Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    September 3rd for a testimonial Dinner
    I love Lewis but I hope he doesn't have to do an after dinner speech and im not sure id pay to listen to it. He'll just get a beamer, mumble something inaudible and modest and sit down again.

Left by mutual consent!
    Ok, tin hat on here.
    Does anyone think if we had an attacking wing back in place of Stevenson we may well have created more opportunities going forward last season? Especially at home.
    I love wee Lewis but nobody can argue that he's not limited in attack!

ps. The wee guy deserves a testimonial 💚

I really hope, and believe, that in a good Hibs team next season he could kick on and show that he's worthy of being part of a Hibs side challenging for European places in the league.

Unlike Hanlon, Scotland caps are never going to happen because of the competition for places in that position but that won't prevent him from being part of future positive and successful Hibs teams.

Don't think I've ever wanted a player to succeed more.

I'd make a real effort to go and attend this. I'm not a believer in testimonials these days due to what players are paid but Lewis is an exception. I've said on other threads that his passion and reaction to winning the cup was one of the abiding memories of that day

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyegreen View Post
    Ok, tin hat on here.
    Does anyone think if we had an attacking wing back in place of Stevenson we may well have created more opportunities going forward last season? Especially at home.

ps. The wee guy deserves a testimonial 
    I confess to having held that opinion in the past, but I would disagree now

I was very surprised by how many of our goals he helped created on the way to winning the Scottish Cup alone.

I would previously have put Lewis towards the top of the players we should replace, but no longer.

Ok, tin hat on here.

ps. The wee guy deserves a testimonial 💚
    I have to disagree, he gets forward as much as any back I've seen, however his final ball isn't always great, if it was, on top of all his other attributes he wouldn't be at ER that's for sure, he'd be playing in the english. Championship IMO.

Ok, tin hat on here.

Tavernier is an attacking wing back but when played in a back 4 it leaves you so open to the counter or simply weak in defense due to poor defensive ability.

Stevenson's crossing is probably about 5/10 but her has the tank to be putting these balls in throughout the game while not weakening us at the back.

And for a wee guy I can't remember him costing us many back stick headed goals either.

I was watching the match again two nights ago and thought the same. Maybe I was too nervous and pessimistic first time to notice him but Lewis was terrific. Don't kid yourself he can get better though.

I love Lewis but I hope he doesn't have to do an after dinner speech and im not sure id pay to listen to it. He'll just get a beamer, mumble something inaudible and modest and sit down again.
    Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Edson Arantes View Post
    Beamer
    It's what everyone called it in the day

/
    Ok, tin hat on here.

What kind of question is that to start a season with? we may have scored more goals and won more games had Cummings had his eye on the ball? We may have defended better had Oxley not dropped the ball over his own line!

You cant possibly get an answer to a question based in the past can you?

He is a member of our Scottish Cup Winning team and should be treated the same as the rest of them. Dont please start the season off for him on negativity.

He never let us down last season or in the cup final and i dont think anyone could have bettered his performances.

Let him get on with the season in hand!

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    Ok, tin hat on here.

Presumably, number of assists does not come into the reckoning in assessing an attacking wing back?

Y'know? He had a pretty good game in the cup final but he's not THAT good.

This is a green coloured glasses thread. Brilliant servant to us but very much replaceable now.

One of 11 legends though.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lewis

It's what everyone called it in the day
    Brilliant expression -says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    Lewis
    Skye

I think Neil Lennon will get the best out of Lewis- I think he'll just be expected to simply do the job of a full back and not have to defend AND do the job of a left winger like he was expected to do last season.

I think it's undeniable that for a year or 2 after the CIS Final he wasn't developing as we hoped but the past 4/5 years he's just been terrific IMO. I think his testimonial year will be a roaring success and I'm really looking forward to whatever events get lined up for him. For a quiet lad his passion for the club is shining through like a beacon.

Ok, tin hat on here.

Agree and that's not a dig, id love to see him with a real handful of an attacking threat playing in front of him, allowing him to play his natural defensive game.

Lewis is the only Hibs player alive to hold a League Cup AND Scottish Cup winners medal so thread closed, IMHO. If further clarification was required of his credentials, you need only look at his loyalty - one team man - and his commitment, never mind his reaction at us lifting THE cup His detractors can basically
    Last edited by FranckSuzy; 23-06-2016 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FranckSuzy View Post
    Lewis the only Hibs player alive to hold a League Cup AND Scottish Cup winners medal so thread closed, IMHO. If further clarification was required of his credentials, you need only look at his loyalty - one team man - and his commitment, never mind his reaction at us lifting THE cup His detractors can basically

Lewis the only Hibs player alive to hold a League Cup AND Scottish Cup winners medal so thread closed, IMHO. If further clarification was required of his credentials, you need only look at his loyalty - one team man - and his commitment, never mind his reaction at us lifting THE cup His detractors can basically
    Well thank you

Still not the best of players though.

Loyalty, commitment, reaction - definitely.

Great player - no.

Quote Originally Posted by Edson Arantes View Post
    Well thank you

Still not the best of players though.

Loyalty, commitment, reaction - definitely.

Great player - no.
    Respectfully, that's nonsense. Every Manager he has played under disagrees with you and it's his testimonial year so....who is correct? Questions, questions.

Left by mutual consent!
    While you can't fault him for loyalty , commitment and attitude , you would go hard pressed to say he's a great player..

IF he was that good then why has he been playing in the Championship for the last two seasons and why has nobody at a higher level came in and tried to sign him ??

Lewis is the only Hibs player alive to hold a League Cup AND Scottish Cup winners medal so thread closed, IMHO. If further clarification was required of his credentials, you need only look at his loyalty - one team man - and his commitment, never mind his reaction at us lifting THE cup His detractors can basically

well said! im rising to the bait i know but why cant they let him savour the cup success and leave him alone!