Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: torto7062

Stanton and Harris-The comeback Kids

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...ance-1-4158730

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Well done boys hope it works out for you both.

Coaching Staff
    Don't think anything other than they would have been gone by now if Stubbsie was still here.

They have a second chance.

Up to them if they grab it.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Good luck to them. If they can find the best form they had for us, then they are useful players to have around. Personally think Stanton could still offer us something. I can't find the same feeling about Harris unfortunately.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't think anything other than they would have been gone by now if Stubbsie was still here.

They have a second chance.

Up to them if they grab it.
    Hope the fans all give them a second chance too.

Second chance and it seems like Lennon is prepared to give everyone a go. Hopefully they take it

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    I said this on another thread the other day and was shot down in flames for it

I'm glad it's Lennon making the decisions and not the experts on here. Good luck Alex and Sam, show us what you can do!

Quote Originally Posted by My Wife Camille View Post
    I said this on another thread the other day and was shot down in flames for it

I'm glad it's Lennon making the decisions and not the experts on here. Good luck Alex and Sam, show us what you can do!

We should always be using every option at our disposal at all times - you never know what might happen. Imagine the Harris and Stanton who first burst onto the scene in our squad? Stanton, a goal-scoring midfielder and Harris bombing down the wing at 100-miles an hour? It's not impossible to get them to that level.

Left by mutual consent!
    Harris looked the real deal when he first got a run of games towards the end of the 2012/13 season. Sparked the Scottish Cup semi-final comeback and turned in a great showing in the derby win at Tynecastle, gliding past players with ease. I was very excited by his potential. But something went wrong after he broke his ankle right at the start of the next season. He got rushed back too early by Butcher and looked nervous, utterly lacking in conviction or confidence. Things looked a wee bit better when Stubbs gave him a couple of games and I gather he turned in some reasonable displays at Dundee and QoS, but I still sense he's lost something that may never quite return. Would love to be proved wrong.

Stanton I think we all wanted to succeed because of his famous surname. A tidy player but hard to argue he's better than what we have in midfield.

I'd rather we were actually making signings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's not saying he'll play them. He's saying he'll take a look at them in training. Still think they will be fringe players if they are kept on. We'll sign better imo.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    No mention of Handling

Given they are under contract he was always going to give them pre season to have a look at them imo The teal crunch comes when he wants to bring a player in but maybe needs a few out on loan to make that happen
    But up to the players to show the hunger and drive to to apply themselves when they get the chance
    They have both played regularly at Championship Level so shouldn't take Lennon too long to make his mind up when he has seen them in a few games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Harris looked the real deal when he first got a run of games towards the end of the 2012/13 season. Sparked the Scottish Cup semi-final comeback and turned in a great showing in the derby win at Tynecastle, gliding past players with ease. I was very excited by his potential. But something went wrong after he broke his ankle right at the start of the next season. He got rushed back too early by Butcher and looked nervous, utterly lacking in conviction or confidence. Things looked a wee bit better when Stubbs gave him a couple of games and I gather he turned in some reasonable displays at Dundee and QoS, but I still sense he's lost something that may never quite return. Would love to be proved wrong.

Stanton I think we all wanted to succeed because of his famous surname. A tidy player but hard to argue he's better than what we have in midfield.
    A very fair summary IMO. I think NL also remembers the 2013 final when, with a half fit LG, Harris was really our only potential threat. I think SS has physically developed & could be decent back-up to McGinn. It also makes sense for NL to make his own decisions & I wish both players well.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Hope they do well. Harris could be an asset if he reaches his 2012-13 form, Stanton not convinced.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    He's not saying he'll play them. He's saying he'll take a look at them in training. Still think they will be fringe players if they are kept on. We'll sign better imo.
    Agreed, but we could have done with a few decent fringe players at times last season

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Stanton has skill, a decent shot, and a good delivery. He hasn't got pace, and therefore needs to become stronger to dominate the yard of space around him, otherwise he'll get knocked about.

Alex needs to be brave and take on his man. For all I've never liked Lennon, if someone exemplified hunger and fearlessness, its him. Hopefully he can rub off on Harris. He has pace, can cross a ball, shoot from distance. There's real potential.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    No mention of Handling
    Possibly because he isn't returning from loan spells like these two?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    No mention of Handling
    I would imagine because these two had been out on loan. Handling has been here, albeit injured, and part of recent squads.

Harris, I very much doubt, will get back to the speed and confidence levels of his brief heyday. Stanton has promise but never quite fulfilled it.

Lennon obviously wants to see them with his own eyes and give them the benefit of the doubt, but both have missed to much football at a crucial period in their development, and I suspect that this is merely a stay of execution.

Fervently hope I'm wrong though, as both have obvious talent and it would be good to see two of our own break through.

He's basically saying he remembers them as 2 exciting talented youngsters breaking through who have lost their way a bit, he'll have a look at them and see if there's anyway he can help recapture that initial promise. I hope they can turn their careers around and capture that form they showed early doors, it will be like new signings.

Harris clearly good enough to play at this level when you consider that he had the most assists last year. We are crying out for wingers!

Stanton I think is also good enough to be in the squad at this level. Up to him to prove it. I think Harris has already shown he is good enough.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    Harris clearly good enough to play at this level when you consider that he had the most assists last year. We are crying out for wingers!

Stanton I think is also good enough to be in the squad at this level. Up to him to prove it. I think Harris has already shown he is good enough.
    What are you basing Harris having the most assists on?

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Not sure if he's had MOST assists, but saw this on FB earlier (no ideas how accurate it is)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ck-iKjnWsAAWlyO.jpg:large

@hibs.net private member
    He retweeted a table - don't know where it originated from - of assists per 90 minutes, in the Championship. He was clear at the top. Our best was Liam Henderson, followed by Fyvie and McGinn then Gray and Stevenson.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m View Post
    He retweeted a table - don't know where it originated from - of assists per 90 minutes, in the Championship. He was clear at the top. Our best was Liam Henderson, followed by Fyvie and McGinn then Gray and Stevenson.

Too difficult to see what they are using for that stat.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Not sure if he's had MOST assists, but saw this on FB earlier (no ideas how accurate it is)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ck-iKjnWsAAWlyO.jpg:large
    Both also scored goals in the Championship last season, but don't start bringing facts into this debate.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/scottish-cha...5&seasonType=0

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Both also scored goals in the Championship last season, but don't start bringing facts into this debate.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/scottish-cha...5&seasonType=0
    Lots of players scored goals and had assists in the championship last year, it doesn't get us much nearer to knowing if they are good enough for Hibs. With Harris and Stanton we have seen them playing for us and I don't think either of them would improve the team.

New manger, clean slate for everyone and a chance for these guys to get themselves back into the team. Think Stanton could be a good wee player and hopefully Harris has got his confidence back. After his injury he just never really got going again at hibs and looked very timid.

Lots of players scored goals and had assists in the championship last year, it doesn't get us much nearer to knowing if they are good enough for Hibs. With Harris and Stanton we have seen them playing for us and I don't think either of them would improve the team.
    Our midfielders didn't score many goals last season, though.

We need options and we need cover. Sam and Alex may not have a future at Hibs, but I'd like to see them given more of a chance.