hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    My whole family is Hibs. It wasn't a concious choice, it's just the done thing and came as naturally as supporting Scotland.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Born in Leith, father a Hibs supporter who took me to games from a very early age, so if I was going to support a team it could only be Hibernian F. c.

Why wouldn't I 😉

Quote Originally Posted by exeterhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Welsh and living in Birmingham like my father before me I supported Villa in my younger days watching them home and away up till leaving for University in Edinburgh in 1974.

Wanted to continue watching football so had a choice of Hearts or Hibs ( and I suppose Meadowbank who had just started). Not knowing anything about Scottish Football, it came down to colours!! Having watched a team in claret / maroon for years I decided to watch a team in green and white.........best decision of my life. Ironically my first game was the League Cup semi final at Tynecastle winning 1:0 before losing the final at Hampden to Celtic 6:3 despite a Harper hatrick. My first game at Easter Road was in Europe against Juventus, days of which we are unlikely to see again. For the next few years I followed them home and away.

Even when I returned full time to England and watched football back down there, I kept an eye on what Hibs were doing attending the odd game. About 15 years ago I got fed up with the EPL and all their money and started to watch Hibs again, coming up at least once a month sometimes twice ( depending on the importance of games) which involved a 1000 mile round trip from Exeter, either driving or flying from Bristol.

May 21st was a day I thought I would never witness. It was my wifes Birthday and I was arranging in March a trip to Vienna to celebrate it....she said to go a week earlier so we could go to the final.....we weren't even there at the time!!!!! How glad she did, as I am still on a high from that day......best day supporting a club ever, which included seeing Villa win the European Cup.

Have now just retired and have moved to Newhaven so can now have a season ticket along with my wife who attends all the games with me......so thats 2 more towards the 10000 Leanne!

.....Thank you, thank you, thank you.....THANK YOU.......
    GGTTH
    Fabulous tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Agnes Gordon View Post
    Late 60s was a interesting time to be a 7 year old growing up in Belfast.
    I was part of a huge family of Celtic supporters not uncommon for a Catholic stronghold in west Belfast.
    Long before the Internet and blanket social media coverage of football it was a tradition to get the Belfast Saturday sports newspaper known as the Ireland Saturday Night to read up on the cross channel football results of the day.
    This newspaper contained match reports on the main English fixtures as well as coverage of both old firm teams.
    It also contained the classified results necessary for checking your pools entry in those pre Lotto days.
    I took to reading the all the football results and started (God knows why?) to take an interest in how the team with the 'strange' name Hibernian got on each weekend.
    This started to evolve into support for this team and I remember visiting the local library to find out more about Hibs.
    Latterly people used to suggest that I became a Hibs fan because of the Irish factor however this was never the case.
    I spent my schooldays being laughed at and ridiculed for my choice of football club and honestly never ever met another Hibs fan growing up in Belfast.
    First time I saw Hibs live was the 1972 Cup Final, I know not a good choice however was good to see the green and white jerseys in real life.
    However as I grew older I managed more successful trips to Scotland to see my team including an amazing 9-2 victory against St Johnstone.
    Now my daughter is at university in Edinburgh so I have loads more opportunities to visit Easter Road.
    To this day I'm not really sure why I ended up a Hibs fan but, in spite of the rollercoaster following them means with more downs than ups I'm glad I did!
    That's a cracking story. Inspired choice.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

My dad took and to be honest I never knew there were other teams till last week

I was part of a huge family of Celtic supporters not uncommon for a Catholic stronghold in west Belfast.
    Long before the Internet and blanket social media coverage of football it was a tradition to get the Belfast Saturday sports newspaper known as the Ireland Saturday Night to read up on the cross channel football results of the day.
    This newspaper contained match reports on the main English fixtures as well as coverage of both old firm teams.
    It also contained the classified results necessary for checking your pools entry in those pre Lotto days.
    I took to reading the all the football results and started (God knows why?) to take an interest in how the team with the 'strange' name Hibernian got on each weekend.
    This started to evolve into support for this team and I remember visiting the local library to find out more about Hibs.
    Latterly people used to suggest that I became a Hibs fan because of the Irish factor however this was never the case.
    I spent my schooldays being laughed at and ridiculed for my choice of football club and honestly never ever met another Hibs fan growing up in Belfast.
    First time I saw Hibs live was the 1972 Cup Final, I know not a good choice however was good to see the green and white jerseys in real life.
    However as I grew older I managed more successful trips to Scotland to see my team including an amazing 9-2 victory against St Johnstone.
    Now my daughter is at university in Edinburgh so I have loads more opportunities to visit Easter Road.
    To this day I'm not really sure why I ended up a Hibs fan but, in spite of the rollercoaster following them means with more downs than ups I'm glad I did!

Great to read. I'm sure there is a Northern Ireland Hibernian supporters club

My uncle got me into supporting Hibs when I was a nipper, before my Dad had a real chance of making me a Dundee FC fan.

Just as well, I'd be hearing '1910' from Arab fans. 😄

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Always destined to be a Hibby, taken from a toddler to ER by my dad who was determined to bring us up the right way

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by exeterhibby View Post
    Welsh and living in Birmingham like my father before me I supported Villa in my younger days watching them home and away up till leaving for University in Edinburgh in 1974.

Wanted to continue watching football so had a choice of Hearts or Hibs ( and I suppose Meadowbank who had just started). Not knowing anything about Scottish Football, it came down to colours!! Having watched a team in claret / maroon for years I decided to watch a team in green and white.........best decision of my life. Ironically my first game was the League Cup semi final at Tynecastle winning 1:0 before losing the final at Hampden to Celtic 6:3 despite a Harper hatrick. My first game at Easter Road was in Europe against Juventus, days of which we are unlikely to see again. For the next few years I followed them home and away.

Even when I returned full time to England and watched football back down there, I kept an eye on what Hibs were doing attending the odd game. About 15 years ago I got fed up with the EPL and all their money and started to watch Hibs again, coming up at least once a month sometimes twice ( depending on the importance of games) which involved a 1000 mile round trip from Exeter, either driving or flying from Bristol.

May 21st was a day I thought I would never witness. It was my wifes Birthday and I was arranging in March a trip to Vienna to celebrate it....she said to go a week earlier so we could go to the final.....we weren't even there at the time!!!!! How glad she did, as I am still on a high from that day......best day supporting a club ever, which included seeing Villa win the European Cup.

Have now just retired and have moved to Newhaven so can now have a season ticket along with my wife who attends all the games with me......so thats 2 more towards the 10000 Leanne!

.....Thank you, thank you, thank you.....THANK YOU.......
    GGTTH
    Wow that is an amazing story. Well done.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    A great read this thread.

I have no family ties to Edinburgh or even Scotland. Like many in Scotland who look out for an English team, many in England have a favourite north of the border which is generally Celtic or more likely Rangers. Personally the sectarian issues of both clubs is something that doesn't sit well with me, so for some reason that I cannot really remember or even justify, my team became Hibs. Maybe the name which I found quite mystical, maybe the strip with those famous sleeves, maybe my Hibs Subbuteo team, maybe even growing up in the casual era in which Hibs gained a reputation, who knows?

I'm from Blackpool and Blackpool is my team but without wanting get too much into the surreal world of a football club run by the Oyston family, I like many other Pool fans feel attending Blackpool matches is actually supporting the Oystons not the football club and actively boycott the club. Disillusioned with the goings on at Bloomfield road I have more actively supported my favours north of the border.

My first Hibs game was at Easter Road in 1999. A 5-2 win against Dundee. I was working in Reading at the time and a guy working there was a Hibs fan and I went up with him for the weekend (a weekend that still qualifies in my top three for being totally bladdered) and I guess from that moment my passing interest in the Hibees developed into something else. I was back at Easter road before the season had finished for another fix.

From my first visit I took the odd Hibs game in now and then until as explained earlier, the ruination of my beloved Seasiders. Attending more and more Hibs games, last season I bought a season ticket in the East and have renewed again this coming season. I only made 11 of the 18 home games due mainly to the number of midweek games last season, but hopefully will make one or two more in the forthcoming promotion season. With the cost and time involved in following Hibs from here I rarely get the chance to go to away games.

The club for me has a very unique feel about it. Very welcoming, great fans, tradition, passion, I could go on and on.

I'm football mad and have been lucky enough to watch and experience football in many places. I have seen Blackpool climb to the Premier League, winning a play off final to do so at Wembley (and a sensational play off semi final against Forest on the way) I was at the Olympic stadium in Munich the night England beat Germany 5-1 and have been to World Cups but I have never felt or witnessed passion and emotion like I did on a certain day last month in Glasgow (and later on back n Leith). After decades of watching football, my greatest football day.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: torto7062
    I follow Hibernian Quite simply because my big cousin used to go to all the games and would always talk about them....now he's no quite right in the heed because he's now a jambo and spent more time at her majesty's pleasure than engerlund have spent protesting their innocence at the last 10 big tournaments..

#hibsareinmyveins

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

'S' Form

Subbuteo, Irish Roots and Scottish Cup glory hunting!

As has been said before, lots of people have a second team. Being from a Donegal / Kerry family background I inherited Celtic as my other team, with Nottingham Forest being my first footballing love. As a kid I had a fondness for the 'Arsenal in green' style kit of Hibs (and the rugby league style kit of the old Airdrie). Stylish kits as important as football ;-)

What has been always been consistent has been my antipathy towards the knuckle draggers from Govan!

In years gone by, without wall to wall TV football, Scottish football was almost as exotic as it got - lots of people adopted a Scottish 'second team'

Fast forward to recent seasons and I've enjoyed the absence of 'Rangers' from the top tier, but their 'return' and the backwardness of their sectarian support and the so-called OF has turned me off. Whilst proud of my Irish roots (like Hibs) I no longer feel for the 'in your face tricolour waving' of the Celtic support. The Hibernian name of the club is enough of a reminder of this. What of other Scottish teams? Well I remember when I went to Scottish games frequently in the 80s, the Jambos had quite a reputation with a far right / loyalist leaning wannabe huns type fringe so definitely not for me. To be fair, I think this is less the case now, but historically an 'establishment club' Sevco a no-no. Aberdeen too cold and too far away! The likes of Motherwell, Hamilton et al? Without being unkind who wants a weekend away in Lanarkshire ahead of Edinburgh?! So Hibs it is from now on.

And then.... 21/05/16....that David Gray goal and the hair raising beauty of 'Sunshine on Leith' afterwards. Yes, it'll sound like glory hunting, but that sealed the deal. Having had a few years of success under Clough at NFFC, followed by two decades of mediocrity, I know what it's like to follow a club for a long haul. It makes fleeting sucess(es) so much sweeter.

When I say 'adopt' Hibs I don't mean in a look at the scores in the paper kind of way. I'm hoping to come up to ER in October/November and for a couple of more times in the season. I'll be pledging to the HSL shares initiative, subscribing to Hibs TV to catch match action and getting the new shirt when its out! So at 50 I've found a new (footballing) love - time to consummate the affair with a trip to ER ;-)

Finally, if there are any fans in the West Country it would be great to hear from you.

Can't wait for the new season to start - whilst waiting time to watch THAT recording of Sportscene again!

Thanks for reading my first post!

Barrie

Totnes Devon

Quote Originally Posted by RedandGreen View Post
    As has been said before, lots of people have a second team. Being from a Donegal / Kerry family background I inherited Celtic as my other team, with Nottingham Forest being my first footballing love. As a kid I had a fondness for the 'Arsenal in green' style kit of Hibs (and the rugby league style kit of the old Airdrie). Stylish kits as important as football ;-)

What has been always been consistent has been my antipathy towards the knuckle draggers from Govan!

In years gone by, without wall to wall TV football, Scottish football was almost as exotic as it got - lots of people adopted a Scottish 'second team'

Fast forward to recent seasons and I've enjoyed the absence of 'Rangers' from the top tier, but their 'return' and the backwardness of their sectarian support and the so-called OF has turned me off. Whilst proud of my Irish roots (like Hibs) I no longer feel for the 'in your face tricolour waving' of the Celtic support. The Hibernian name of the club is enough of a reminder of this. What of other Scottish teams? Well I remember when I went to Scottish games frequently in the 80s, the Jambos had quite a reputation with a far right / loyalist leaning wannabe huns type fringe so definitely not for me. To be fair, I think this is less the case now, but historically an 'establishment club' Sevco a no-no. Aberdeen too cold and too far away! The likes of Motherwell, Hamilton et al? Without being unkind who wants a weekend away in Lanarkshire ahead of Edinburgh?! So Hibs it is from now on.

And then.... 21/05/16....that David Gray goal and the hair raising beauty of 'Sunshine on Leith' afterwards. Yes, it'll sound like glory hunting, but that sealed the deal. Having had a few years of success under Clough at NFFC, followed by two decades of mediocrity, I know what it's like to follow a club for a long haul. It makes fleeting sucess(es) so much sweeter.

When I say 'adopt' Hibs I don't mean in a look at the scores in the paper kind of way. I'm hoping to come up to ER in October/November and for a couple of more times in the season. I'll be pledging to the HSL shares initiative, subscribing to Hibs TV to catch match action and getting the new shirt when its out! So at 50 I've found a new (footballing) love - time to consummate the affair with a trip to ER ;-)

Finally, if there are any fans in the West Country it would be great to hear from you.

Can't wait for the new season to start - whilst waiting time to watch THAT recording of Sportscene again!

Thanks for reading my first post!

Barrie

Totnes Devon
    Briliant

Welcome to the family

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Grew up not into football at all. I was terrible at it and was always picked last so never really got into it. My mum was a Rangers fan as were most of my friends so my mum would buy me Rangers tops to fit in. I couldn't name you one Rangers player growing up. My sister married a hibs fan when I was about 10/11, so my two nephews grew up hibs fans. My nephew Robbie wasn't able to make the semi final against Livingston so I took his ticket and went with the family. On the way to Hamden we had our scarfs out the windows and every hibs fan passing us would wave and peep their horn. It was class. When the game was being played I was enjoying the atmosphere and the way hibs played. There was one moment that blew my mind, Sauzee had the ball near the corner flicked it over one of the Livy players and went on a run after it. Was the greatest thing I'd seen in football. After that game I wanted a season ticket and have never looked back since. Now all I think about is hibs!!

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Mine is just a mundane tale of being born into it; something I've blamed my dad for many times . The countless disappointments and failures are all his fault, but days like the cup final prove him right. It isn't an easy journey, but there are many clubs who experience far worse.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Often thought about this as I grew up in Ayr, in a family that wasn't into football yet I've always loved fitba and from 8 or maybe 9 years old Hibs was the only team for me!
    So why/how?
    Well my Dad was an Ayr fan but never went to games so there was some interest but he did run a corner shop and in the 80's Pannini sticker albums were all the rage in the playground. Dad ran his own 'swap shop' out of the shop and I always had the rare ones kids wanted so I was the go to boy in primary school!
    Anyways I always liked the Hibs kit, green was rare and I just liked getting the Hibs page filled up, got to know the names of the team and always looked out for our highlights on a Sunday Scotsport.
    When I started playing football all my mates were Celtic or Rangers and early on I liked standing out from the crowd and mates even secretly respected me for this commitment to misery as they saw it.
    Basically from a young age I knew I didn't want to be a glory hunter and Hibs always seemed cool as did Edinburgh and even a run down ER for some reason!
    Would like to thank my uncle (no longer with us) for taking me to Edinburgh for my first game at ER and to my dad for taking me to my first ever Hibs game, the Skol cup quarter final away to Ayr in '91, thanks Dad. The atmosphere that night was immense and I knew then I had made a good choice in life.
    Last edited by Renfrew_Hibby; 19-06-2016 at 07:05 PM.

I was brought up on Edina Street which is approximately a five minute walk from Easter Road Stadium, so I guess location was the main factor. Also all of my family are Hibs supporters, so that would have been a factor as well. However I truly became a Hibs supporter in my own right when my Grandad passed away from cancer in 1987 when I was nine years old. Until then, I had always spent my weekends traveling in my Grandfather's car, but when he passed away I no longer had anything to do on Saturday's, and I decided that I was going to start going to Hibs games by myself. The first ever Hibs game I attended by myself was as a ten year old. It was the League Cup (R2) encounter at Easter Road against Montrose on 18/08/1987. Hibernian won 3-2, after coming back from behind twice.

It was not until I was 11 years old that I began attending away games by myself.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    A question I ask myself regularly 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    A question I ask myself regularly
    That's usually in the form of "Why the **** do I support Hibs?"

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    I'm sorry - I have no excuse!

@hibs.net private member hibsfan7's Avatar

Cool

Well what is the alternative

support hearts aye right

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Wonderful

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Born at the old simpsons hospital and lived at Meadowbank, moved out to west Lothian as a kid but spent most of my free time at family in Leith, add in my dad use to run the family corner behind the goals and would bring me to every game as a kid lol.

I'm sure there will be some on here that probably remember me or my dad from behind the goals. I was the wee sh** he would send round the tables to make sure all the board games were back for kick off.

Also use to sell programmes from the age of about 15 at the east stand regularly, up across from the burger van.

Now I'm all grown up and mid twenties, it was ingrained in me so young I'd never have turned out any other way.
    Last edited by cameronw-hfc; 26-03-2023 at 06:13 PM.

@hibs.net private member Bad Habits's Avatar
    Dad was born and grew up in Leith. Was given a 'hibs kids' membership as my christening present from my godfather so I didn't have much choice!

I've grown up in Yorkshire but I always remember sitting down with my dad and helping him find the Hibs score on Teletext. Tonnes of Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester United fans around me but I never took to them. My friends all find it weird but I've been cheering for Hibs and Scotland even before I knew what I was cheering for.

Hilariously my Dad actually apologised to me when rangers went 2-1 up in 2016...

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    First team I ever saw after I moved to Scotland. Love at first sight. GGTTH!

Brilliant.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Agnes Gordon's story is just fantastic. Talk about having the courage of your convictions! I don't remember this thread but see it's from the Summer of Love. Agnes, like all of us, finally got her payback for making a daft childhood decision!

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    bet you enjoyed the 72 League Cup final eh.

wee bit of payback against your Celtic supporting schoolmates after taking all that ridicule

No obvious excuse. No immediate family support Hibs, have some Hibee uncles but Jambo ones as well.

School mate of mine asked me along to a game v Dunfermline and that was it, hooked ever since! I’m not in contact with that guy anymore but if it wasn’t for taking me to that game, who knows what would have happened.