hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    'S' Form

Steven Fletcher ?

Just released by Sunderland ! Right age (oldish - prepared to look at the Championship !), good pedigree (for our club and country) and the 'target man' type that Lennon likes to use. Free transfer - I guess - though wages might be an issue (he would have been on a bit at Sunderland). What do people reckon ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Celtic.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Will probably go to Celtic

'S' Form
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will probably go to Celtic
    Can't see Rodgers being interested in a 29 year old, who hasn't done a lot in recent years in England. Unless others have heard different ?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I doubt we can match Stokes' wage demands, Fletcher is on an entirely different level!

Have you any idea of the kind of money he was on at Sunderland?

I rate him highly, but then so do a lot of people in football. I imagine there will be EPL clubs looking at him.

Or he will go to Celtc.

Sure he was on about 40-50k a week at Sunderland so even Celtic will struggle to afford his wages i'd say.

He'll might have to take a bit of a drop in wages but he'll probably end up at a top end English Championship club. Might even return to Burnley.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    Sure he was on about 40-50k a week at Sunderland so even Celtic will struggle to afford his wages i'd say.

He'll might have to take a bit of a drop in wages but he'll probably end up at a top end English Championship club. Might even return to Burnley.
    He's done no to bad for only having one foot, Riordan and O'Connor where far better a player than fletch, just goes to show how naive/unfortunate these two were to having made the wrong choices outside of football. How the hell O'Connor is skint i'l never know.
    Last edited by pacoluna; 10-06-2016 at 02:32 PM.

It'd be amazing to see him come back home, but it's surely out of the question.

I thought Lennon was out of the question, so what do I know!

Fletcher sadly hasn't achieved much in his career; a lot of injuries, and never in a team that truly played to his strengths. I think at 29, he'll be looking to atone an otherwise disappointing career since leaving Hibs - his best bet doing that would be to go to Celtic where he could have trophies up the yin-yang!

A shame, as I never like to see any of our lot go West at any point.

I still think he has the ability to do really well in the Premier League if he plays in a team that plays to his strengths and remains injury-free. Everton? West Brom? Stoke?

Sweet bejesus.

Even if we were in the top league I'd still struggle to see it. I'll go with the consensus. Celtic or a championship club in England

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Reynard View Post
    Can't see Rodgers being interested in a 29 year old, who hasn't done a lot in recent years in England. Unless others have heard different ?
    He did score for Scotland against the might of Gibraltar, to be fair.

Quite a few papers have been reporting interest from Celtic for a few days. In any case there's no chance of him coming here aha.

Silly season has peaked rather early here I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Silly season has peaked rather early here I feel.
    Hibs have win the Scottish Cup and appointed Neil Lennon as manager, I think it's plateaued if anything

It will be interesting to see where he goes for sure. He's struggled the past few years but I wouldn't be surprised if he got another Premiership gig.

A return to Burnley would be my shout.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post

The only people likely to offer 40,000 a week for Fletcher are the Chinese.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just saw a picture taken of him with my mates who are golfing in Portugal...Plenty Hibbees there wonder if he gave any hints??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    He's done no to bad for only having one foot, Riordan and O'Connor where far better a player than fletch, just goes to show how naive/unfortunate these two were to having made the wrong choices outside of football. How the hell O'Connor is skint i'l never know.
    Messi, Maradona & Puskas also did ok despite only having one foot!

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamous1875 View Post
    It'd be amazing to see him come back home, but it's surely out of the question.

I thought Lennon was out of the question, so what do I know!

Fletcher sadly hasn't achieved much in his career; a lot of injuries, and never in a team that truly played to his strengths. I think at 29, he'll be looking to atone an otherwise disappointing career since leaving Hibs - his best bet doing that would be to go to Celtic where he could have trophies up the yin-yang!

A shame, as I never like to see any of our lot go West at any point.

I still think he has the ability to do really well in the Premier League if he plays in a team that plays to his strengths and remains injury-free. Everton? West Brom? Stoke?
    And LOL again.

Fletcher hit the jackpot. He played for several years in the richest, most watched league on the planet. He may do so again.

Riordan and O'Connor both cult heroes to many in the way that Fletcher seemingly isn't, but he's surely at least as good as any player we've produced in the past 20 years.

Just released by Sunderland ! Right age (oldish - prepared to look at the Championship !), good pedigree (for our club and country) and the 'target man' type that Lennon likes to use. Free transfer - I guess - though wages might be an issue (he would have been on a bit at Sunderland). What do people reckon ?
    No chance.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    LOL.

And LOL again.

Fletcher hit the jackpot. He played for several years in the richest, most watched league on the planet. He may do so again.

Riordan and O'Connor both cult heroes to many in the way that Fletcher seemingly isn't, but he's surely at least as good as any player we've produced in the past 20 years.
    Yes. Whilst Riordan was a more natural finisher, and O'Connor a very good player at his top - Fletcher was quicker than both, better in the air, has performed at a higher level, scored at a higher level and won more international caps - definitely the better all round player

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Yes. Whilst Riordan was a more natural finisher, and O'Connor a very good player at his top - Fletcher was quicker than both, better in the air, has performed at a higher level, scored at a higher level and won more international caps - definitely the better all round player
    And seems to get a tough time on here considering he scored 2 goals in a Cup Final for us and netted us over 3 million quid.

We got about half that for O'Connor and we ended up paying more for Riordan than we received.
    Last edited by KWJ; 10-06-2016 at 03:16 PM.

I'm not saying he isn't I am saying at the start of their careers if you were to ask me who had the more talent and was more enjoyable to watch I would say riordan by far and I would have wrongly predicted O'Connor would have had a more illustrious career than fletch .

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    LOL.

And LOL again.

It would be interesting to see who ended up the richest ex Hibs player and compare it to who we believe was the best player who left Hibs.

Fletch must surely be one if not the richest.

J

@hibs.net private member
    I'm not saying he isn't I am saying at the start of their careers if you were to ask me who had the more talent and was more enjoyable to watch I would say riordan by far and I would have wrongly predicted O'Connor would have had a more illustrious career than fletch .
    Yeh. I can understand that . The thing is fletch played first team football from a young age. Younger than both I think. 17 years old. And actually was only first choice in his natural Position for his final season. By that time it was clear he was going on to better things ...the other two created a bit more buzz about them and somehow seemed a bit more "Hibs"...

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    It would be interesting to see who ended up the richest ex Hibs player and compare it to who we believe was the best player who left Hibs.

J
    I bet bamba has mad a few quid from transfer fees.

Yeh. I can understand that . The thing is fletch played first team football from a young age. Younger than both I think. 17 years old. And actually was only first choice in his natural Position for his final season. By that time it was clear he was going on to better things ...the other two created a bit more buzz about them and somehow seemed a bit more "Hibs"...
    probably because this agent fisher was always in the newspaper saying he wanted a move.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    I bet bamba has mad a few quid from transfer fees.
    Kenny Miller must be in the mix.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post

J
    Him or whittaker who's been in the premiership quite a lot. The striker premium probably means fletch though.

It's ok to dream.