hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hibs & The Gypsy Curse

I did mention this to my brother at full time at Hampden. After all, there is a harp on the main stand once again! Coincidence? ;). Anyway I found this article to be a good read about Hibs' Irish connections. It's also devoid of the sensationalising hysteria spouted by certain west of Scotland based news sources, which I found refreshing.

http://irishpost.co.uk/the-irish-gypsys-curse-on-hibernian-fc-has-finally-been-broken/

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Good read, does anyone actually believe Harry Swan tried to get rid of our Irish roots?

Roots to be proud of although not in the twisted way that Celtic do it

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    It's an interesting if rather partisan read.

What a great read. A positive candid piece of the Club history and account of the Cup final. Still chuckle at the guys (or should that be grandads?) on the bar in the picture printed. Was there a Gypsy Curse? Some coincidence if not.

Hibernian Scottish Cup Winners 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Finn2015 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roots to be proud of although not in the twisted way that Celtic do it
    Indeed.

Whilst I'd never want us to go down the Celtic route I'm sometimes mystified as to why some people seem so borderline terrified of our roots at times.

I love everything about Hibs from our beginnings and formative years through to our proud Scottish, Edinburgh and Leith contemporary identity.

Great read, what a historic day it was! 🇳🇬

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greencore View Post
    Good read, does anyone actually believe Harry Swan tried to get rid of our Irish roots?
    Conjecture - yes & no. He certainly was forward thinking and the first non Catholic on the board. Celtic try and slander him as an anti Irish bigot but he did commission an Irish Connamara marble harp & shamrock mosaic placed in the board room (reproduction next to Hannan & Whelehan in main foyer now). He was also good friends with club clergy - Monsignor of St Ninians church.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Indeed.

Whilst I'd never want us to go down the Celtic route I'm sometimes mystified as to why some people seem so borderline terrified of our roots at times.

I love everything about Hibs from our beginnings and formative years through to our proud Scottish, Edinburgh and Leith contemporary identity.
    Because IMO some are anti Irish bigots and tend to sweep our heritage under the carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious St Pat View Post
    Because IMO some are anti Irish bigots and tend to sweep our heritage under the carpet.
    I agree with you,but I do believe you are about to get some pelters

That wasn't really my line of thinking but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    I agree with you,but I do believe you are about to get some pelters
    It's ok - used to it.

Sometimes Pat you have to put certain things into context. Scotland is a country that embraced John Knox. It is steeped in Presbytarianism which is or was it's main religion. Over a long period of time many Protestants or people of other faiths or no faith at all have become Hibernian Supporters for non-religious reasons and therefore many people support Hibernian and have no link to it's heritage. So it's slightly unfair to cast anyone who does not embrace the heritage as much as you do of which I admire you for.

Glory Glory

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    I did mention this to my brother at full time at Hampden. After all, there is a harp on the main stand once again! Coincidence? ;). Anyway I found this article to be a good read about Hibs' Irish connections. It's also devoid of the sensationalising hysteria spouted by certain west of Scotland based news sources, which I found refreshing.

http://irishpost.co.uk/the-irish-gyp...y-been-broken/
    Really enjoyed reading that article. Thanks for posting.

I think the vast majority of Hibs fans these days are very proud of our Irish roots and happy to celebrate them. At the same time it's great that we are a Club for every creed and colour and with no prejudices. I love the Hibs

@hibs.net private member
    Got no problem with seeing the flag of Ireland at our games because of the obvious connection we have with the country. We should be proud of our roots. Obviously not in the Celtic way.... It's a shame our harp wasn't put back on for so long.... Any information on why we actually changed our club badge from a harp?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    At the same time it's great that we are a Club for every creed and colour and with no prejudices. I love the Hibs

Agree, I saw a couple of Asian men at the Ross county final and Scottish cup final wearing green turbans and were so happy to see people from different backgrounds embrace Hibernian. Hibernian is for everyone.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    You have overstepped the mark there. I have yet to encounter anything that could be construed as anti Irish bigotry at Easter Road.

Agree, I saw a couple of Asian men at the Ross county final and Scottish cup final wearing green turbans and were so happy to see people from different backgrounds embrace Hibernian. Hibernian is for everyone.

Agreed, even social outcast and ne'er do wells like me

Those guys are regulars in the FF stand. Always got the green and white turbans on on match days.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    . I have yet to encounter anything that could be construed as anti Irish bigotry at Easter Road.

First Team Breakthrough
    Here we go here we go here we go... And they're off!

Back to the article, I think this bit could be filed under Irish wishful thinking:

"At the 2016 Scottish Cup Final last week, Irish Tricolours were in abundance, suggesting a passionate new generation of Hibs supporters are embracing their history."

An alternative version might be: at the cup final there were a few tricolours around because this always happens when the teams meet and the Hibs fans want to annoy the Rangers fans...

FWIW I'm half Irish, and the tricolours at games always annoy me - simply because they make us look like Septic, and I want to have nothing in common with them.

First Team Breakthrough
    'Celtc'-esque tiresome, nonsensical, paranoid, gibbering nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Really enjoyed reading that article. Thanks for posting.

I think the vast majority of Hibs fans these days are very proud of our Irish roots and happy to celebrate them. At the same time it's great that we are a Club for every creed and colour and with no prejudices. I love the Hibs
    Agree totally Mr Harp. I have also been impressed with the number of girls/women turning up regularly to Eater Road this year.
    Just like to add my opinion to the discussion of a 'curse' - balloxleys ! Nae such thing. If someone could defy the laws of physics just by uttering a few words, they wouldn't be sitting in a caravan somewhere telling fortunes for two bob, they would be ruling the world! They'll be telling us that some guy in a dress can turn water into wine by saying a wee magic spell over the cup next.

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    'Celtc'-esque tiresome, nonsensical, paranoid, gibbering nonsense.

That's just as unfair to Pat as he was to calling people out for being bigots!

Pat's just loves the origins of Hibernian Fc. Be fair now.

Glory Glory

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    Here we go here we go here we go... And they're off!

Back to the article, I think this bit could be filed under Irish wishful thinking:

"At the 2016 Scottish Cup Final last week, Irish Tricolours were in abundance, suggesting a passionate new generation of Hibs supporters are embracing their history."

An alternative version might be: at the cup final there were a few tricolours around because this always happens when the teams meet and the Hibs fans want to annoy the Rangers fans...

FWIW I'm half Irish, and the tricolours at games always annoy me - simply because they make us look like Septic, and I want to have nothing in common with them.

Can understand that but as someone from an Irish background, I welcome it and again, feel they can be attached to the club without the connotations that Celtic have. They are our roots and should be celebrated. Irish Scottish flags should be used by Hibernian supporters if they so wish.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn2015 View Post
    Can understand that but as someone from an Irish background, I welcome it and again, feel they can be attached to the club without the connotations that Celtic have. They are our roots and should be celebrated. Irish Scottish flags should be used by Hibernian supporters if they so wish.
    This.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Most of us, myself included, simply see it as part of our rich history along with a lot of other things. It doesn't have much relevance to the club today in 2016.

There's probably as many Hibees out there who want to overplay our roots as there are anti Irish Hibs bigots.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    I found it encouraging that the Irish Times was being circulated at the back of the FF towards the end of the season. What is not to like when there is positive focus on Hibernian? They also afford space to the Glasgow and Dundee varieties.Their choice, welcome to that, but we are all Hibbies here. A paper that writes nice stuff about the Hibs? No brainer! EGB.

I have never seen or heard any Hibs fan express that attitude ............ ever!

The lads from the FF .... love those Green & White turbans

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Those guys are regulars in the FF stand. Always got the green and white turbans on on match days.
    PB. In the 70s we had a significant Leith Sikh following. No question why it waned, but I love seeing these fellahs back. And by the way, they can wear whatever colour they want on their bonce!