hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stubbs is off

Stubbs is off

Rotherham Advertiser say they've spoken to RU chairman Tony Stewart who has agreed 3 year deal with Stubbs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Awch well, good luck to him, and cheers for the greatest day of my life.

GGTTH

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Looks like he has informed LD of his intention to leave and taking his coaching staff with him.

Once again, another Pre-season of 'Transition' ahead!! When will we ever go from 1 season into the next without losing our manager or significant members of the playing squad??!!!

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    What a bad move this is for him

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    No chance of any Rotherham manager seeing out a 3 year contract but good luck to him.

Thanks for the memories, good luck Alan

As much as he delivered the Holy Grail and will always be in our hearts, I've never been convinced that Stubbs has been the man to deliver the more prosaic but essential goods - getting us back into the top flight. Against Hearts and Rangers in head-to-heads we've established ourselves as a more talented and successful side. But we were a big distance behind both in monstering the weaker teams in that division. There's nothing to suggest we'd be any more effective under AS this time around.

I think we'll see somebody in who isn't frightened to hit quick balls into strikers (preferably from wide positions) and hopefully run over teams more convincingly.

So thank you Alan, but better to leave a legend on high, than risk (for him and the club) the possibility of being a three-time-loser who lucked out in knockout comps. That would do neither party much good.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As much as he delivered the Holy Grail and will always be in our Hearts, I've never been convinced that Stubbs has been the man to deliver the more prosaic but essential goods - getting us back into the top flight. Against Hearts and Rangers in head-to-heads we've established ourselves as a more talented and successful side. But we were a big distance behind both in monstering the weaker teams in that division. There's nothing to suggest we'd be any more effective under AS this time around.

I think we'll see somebody in who isn't frightened to hit quick balls into strikers (preferably from wide positions) and hopefully run over teams more convincingly.

So thank you Alan, but better to leave a legend on high, than risk (for him and the club) the possibility of being a three-time-loser who lucked out in knockout comps. That would do neither party much good.
    This.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Awrabest Alan, thanks for delivering the Holy Grail, honestly thought I'd never see it.

To use his much used phrase- "We go again."

No one is irreplaceable. Over to LD to appoint the right man.

GGTTH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    Looks like he has informed LD of his intention to leave and taking his coaching staff with him.
    .........,.. And probably all the information about the players they have been well paid to sus out for us next season. Mind you, I doubt if any of them will be good enough for the English Championship so he might have done the decent thing and left it for his successor. Anyway, thanks for the Scottish Cup, pity you didn't quite manage to achieve your more important objective, but that's football for you.

Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post

Once again, another Pre-season of 'Transition' ahead!! When will we ever go from 1 season into the next without losing our manager or significant members of the playing squad??!!!
    Such is life with hibs.

The only consolation is that we have hopefully moved away from the 'rip it up and start again' nature of these upheavals.

We require a good head coach to fit in with George Craig and the current set-up and continue the good work that has been done.

Cheers Alan and good luck.

Doesnt bother me much, struggled to break teams down in this division. Look how many goals Hearts and the Huns scored over the last 2 years compared to us.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Much better to be entering a period of transition on the back of success.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post

Doesnt bother me much, struggled to break teams down in this division. Look how many goals Hearts and the Huns scored over the last 2 years compared to us.
    This. I honestly think he is leaving before he is pushed. I think he would fail to get promotion again. He never changed his game plan and it clearly failed abainst weaker opposition for 2 full seasons.

leaving a hero is better than getting sacked...

Let's move quickly and get a good mgr in early. Early June we want to be getting players like Hanlon tied up and new bodies in so we start the season well.

First Team Breakthrough muzzando's Avatar
    Think that's a crap move for his career tbh but its his decision to make and he'll always be a hibs legend

Good luck to him at Rotherham and any other future endeavors. He came in after the disaster of relegation, when the club was on its knees and at an all time low. He built a team just about completely from scratch and made some fantastic signings. So refreshing having a manager who brings in quality after being used to managers bringing in nomark journeymen. He clearly had a good eye for a player. Once again we had a team playing good football (much needed after the eye-bleeding hoofball we had to suffer under Butcher), winning games and he brought back a great team spirit and built a team of guys who wanted to give everything for the cause.

4-0 hammering of the huns at ER
    The 2-0 beating of hearts to spoil their "party"
    The last minute SC comeback at tynecastle
    Finishing the tramps off in the reply at ER
    Semi-final victory at tynecastle
    The semi-final against Utd at hampden
    and of course the ultimate, beating the huns in the last minute to FINALLY get our hands on the SC

Just some of the great memories you'll leave us with. Thank you for the best day of my life the other week at hampden, it will long live in the memory of hibs supporters and you will always be a legend because of it.

Thank you and good luck.

First Team Breakthrough biotech's Avatar
    Wish him well, but the cup is likely to be the summit of career. This league is a big step up in quality and pressure.

Good luck to a club legend. I would rather remember him for the Scottish cup final win than possibly 3 failed league promotions. Though he could have left with a cup and league win..we will never know !

His Derby record was also positive and caused many a cup upset.

Strangely he lost about 8 games to really poor teams this season in the league (which for me isn't acceptable).

Will be interesting to see who they bring in next - hopefully someone who is good enough to win the league in their 1st season in charge!
    Last edited by GreenCastle; 31-05-2016 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post

Thats how im feeling. Forgetting the euphoria cup, i wanted him binned on two ocassions before it. Time to move on and win this league finally

Delivered the Holy Grail and can't be thanked enough for that.

However, I personally think it's a huge step down and he's doing himself a disservice by not only not staying at ER to finish the job he started, but also jumping at the first job that came his way when arguably much bigger jobs could have come along his path.

@hibs.net private member Callum7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Good luck to a club legend. I would rather remember him for the Scottish cup final win than possibly 3 failed leage promotions. His Derby record was also positive and caused many a cup upset.

Strangely he lost about 8 games to really poor teams this season in the league (which for me isn't acceptable).

Will be interesting to see who they bring in next - hopefully someone who is good enough to win the league in their 1st season in charge!
    I much agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Much better to be entering a period of transition on the back of success.
    That is a great point to make. Still have the main body of a good squad for next season and the feel good factor of the Cup win is a high point to depart on.

Well done Stubbsy for the Cup and best wishes. Don't you dare come looking for Super John McGinn though.

Glory Glory

I dont know the facts but a 3 year deal will probably be worth 450k to Stubbs. Even if he gets punted after 18 months he is looking at 300k in his pocket. Rotherham also have a turnover of 11 million. This year they are predicting it to be 14 million with the increased tv package. Dwarfs everything in Scotland outside the Old Firm.

Quote Originally Posted by biotech View Post
    Wish him well, but the cup is likely to be the summit of career. This league is a big step up in quality and pressure.
    Quality I agree. Pressure is the same in any league I would argue

Good luck to him. It's just a shame that he's chosen such a diddy club based in a dump of a city over us. But I guess it's not Rotherham that's the attraction, it's who they will be playing against next season. That, plus, if he manages to achieve mid table mediocrity with them that will be enough to get him something much more glamerous.

would have loved a little more loyalty and it feels like the job is half done, but we are an attractive club to a lot of managers and I trust in LD to make a sound call.

The Scottish cup will live long in all our minds and hearts though. So for that, thank you!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzando View Post
    Think that's a crap move for his career tbh but its his decision to make and he'll always be a hibs legend
    I find it a crazy move to be honest and one that'll come back to bite him big time. No hard feelings here either but strangely enough I'm neither up nor down with the news.

I'm normally gutted when we have lost our manager, ie Mowbray, I cried when I heard that news. Hopefully we get our new man in ASAP