hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

Tavernier/Kujabi

I've been watching the highlights over and over and over this last week, what strikes me is how there are almost parallels to the two. Both started out looking as great attacking full backs but as soon as a team figure out how you play against them they become a total liability.

I'm looking forward to next season, I wonder how many teams will copy what we did and try and turn him inside out the same way that Stokes did to him. For Stubbs to look at what was previously one of their strengths and turn him into their biggest weakness was tactical genius - I wonder if he's going to struggle like Kujabi did as soon as someone figured out how to beat him?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

I personally think Tavernier is pish.

Extremely overrated.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been watching the highlights over and over and over this last week, what strikes me is how there are almost parallels to the two. Both started out looking as great attacking full backs but as soon as a team figure out how you play against them they become a total liability.

I'm looking forward to next season, I wonder how many teams will copy what we did and try and turn him inside out the same way that Stokes did to him. For Stubbs to look at what was previously one of their strengths and turn him into their biggest weakness was tactical genius - I wonder if he's going to struggle like Kujabi did as soon as someone figured out how to beat him?
    Kujabi sometimes made it back, most of the key attacks we did Tavernier was taken out the game by two passes and left in no mans land every time. Blowing out his erse as well, Hope they keep him. Nae doubt Stubbs worked him out.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Coaching Staff
    The whole The Rangers back line were a god send - Wallace pulling out the Scotland squad is more of a self reflection by the player, knowing as we all do, that he is utterly garbage when put under pressure. Watch Wallace when he played in the Scotland U19's, a more over rated player you won't find since Eoin Jess !!

Tav is a rubbish defender. The CBs are utterly dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Tav is a rubbish defender. The CBs are utterly dreadful.
    First goal proved that with no one busting a gut to stop Stokes!!

Set pieces and let's face it if they think they will present any sort of challenge next season it's going to be fun watching them getting turned over!!

First Team Breakthrough
    ​The huns were bangng on about how tav was he best player in the wold, now they want rid ofhim, stubbs knew how to play against them, i can see a few teams setting up a 3-5-2 vs them next year.

Why don't they just use him as a winger? Or coach him how to defend? I don't believe he can actually be that bad defensively if he had a decent coach.

Very good attacking player, piss poor defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    Very good attacking player, piss poor defensively.
    One good cross and apart from that was anonymous!!

Will struggle big time next season!!

Testimonial Due
    Let's not be so harsh on him. He put a great shift in for us on Saturday barring that **** up that set up Kenny Millers equaliser.

Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    Let's not be so harsh on him. He put a great shift in for us on Saturday barring that **** up that set up Kenny Millers equaliser.
    ;-)

It was a decent cross TBf!!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    ;-)

It was a decent cross TBf!!
    It was a very good cross but I'll forgive him in this instance 😂

Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    It was a very good cross but I'll forgive him in this instance dde02
    Tee hee!!

Coaching Staff
    One good cross and apart from that was anonymous!!

Will struggle big time next season!!
    Danny Wilson also the 'constant' Aldo - horrific player, media hyped, found out and thank god he was in that defence on Saturday.

First Team Breakthrough
    All i hear from the huns down here is there gonna walk the league next year.

@hibs.net private member
    There was a reason Wigan in the third tier of English football released him and it's the same reason he ended up in the Scottish championship ..... He is pish

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    I personally think Tavernier is pish.

Extremely overrated.
    I think it's worth remembering that Tavernier, Kiernan, and waghorn were all taken from a Struggling Wigan team that they couldn't get a game for.

McGregor is a million times better than Keirnan, Tavernier would probably make a decent Scottish Premiership winger, but his defensive awareness is disgraceful and waghorn is ok, but will never have the same impact next season

tavernier is **** , nowhere near as bad as kujabi though . kujabi is quite possibly the worst footballer iv ever seen

Left by mutual consent!
    Both about as convincing in defence as The Yorkshire Rippers lawyer.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    tavernier is **** , nowhere near as bad as kujabi though . kujabi is quite possibly the worst footballer iv ever seen
    I agree with this!

Quote Originally Posted by hibees59 View Post
    I agree with this!
    And me

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    For Stubbs to look at what was previously one of their strengths and turn him into their biggest weakness was tactical genius - I wonder if he's going to struggle like Kujabi did as soon as someone figured out how to beat him?
    We played the same formation at the last league game at ER and it worked well then. When "the world's greatest manager" was given our team lines you'd think he would have been ready this time round?

And he was stumbling around even more in the dark when we changed formation by swapping Liam for Liam - maybe having 2 players with the same first name was just too much for him 😱

Like a few if his players a "one trick pony" who gets found out in time - thankfully 👍

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Danny Wilson also the 'constant' Aldo - horrific player, media hyped, found out and thank god he was in that defence on Saturday.
    I, like many others TH, have watched the goals (game) over and over and I still cannot believe the amount of room Stokes got for first goal!

Wilson and Kiernan just jogged along as if oot running with their kids.

TBH we made Wallace and Travernier look good in previous games but we got in behind them and on the back foot and showed that they cannot defend!

They will struggle next season in the Premiership with that back line!

Tavernier is a good player with an achilles heel. It's a weird modern phenomenon that there is an acceptance of fullbacks who cannot defend. If they manage to work out how to overcome his shortcomings then I still think they've got a good player there. Personally I think he'd be good as the RWB in a 3-5-2 with a decent right-sided centre half and sweeper to help cover for him when he goes forward. I was speaking to my hun mate on Thursday and he said they missed Dominic Ball badly - he's a defensive midfielder that does well to drop into the defensive line and provide cover when Tavernier goes forward. Halliday just doesn't do this.

Tavernier has been a big part of our games with Rangers this season. He's scored a few and made a significant contribution for many other goals for them. But he's been horribly to blame for others, often very basic defensive mistakes at set pieces.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A Rangers supporting friend of mine said after the semi finals that the suspension of Ball was a massive blow as he had been their best defender all season and the one that kind of marshalled them.

Looks like he was right.

I, like many others TH, have watched the goals (game) over and over and I still cannot believe the amount of room Stokes got for first goal!

Wilson and Kiernan just jogged along as if oot running with their kids.

TBH we made Wallace and Travernier look good in previous games but we got in behind them and on the back foot and showed that they cannot defend!

They will struggle next season in the Premiership with that back line!
    I'd be amazed if they go into next season with that back line.

Tbh I think Warburton did very well to get that team together from where they were the season before. He understood the remit - we MUST go up, and as champions and he built a team capable of that, i.e. he got a team that destroyed teams with pace and width. Tavernier, Wilson etc aren't going to be tested that much defensively, their team was all about blowing wee teams away and over the league season they did that well.

When they came up against better teams though they were found wanting. They did fine against a complacent Celtic team but still needed penalties to beat them. I reckon they'll be a lot more pragmatic next season and I can only see Wallace of their current GK, back 4 and defensive mid being a regular starter for them next year.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    A Rangers supporting friend of mine said after the semi finals that the suspension of Ball was a massive blow as he had been their best defender all season and the one that kind of marshalled them.

Looks like he was right.
    Agree, Ball has been a good player for them. They seem only to be signing midfielders/attacking players just now too. Unless they can bring in a couple of defenders/new goalie Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts should all be looking to finish above them.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I'd be amazed if they go into next season with that back line. Tbh I think Warburton did very well to get that team together from where they were the season before. He understood the remit - we MUST go up, and as champions and he built a team capable of that, i.e. he got a team that destroyed teams with pace and width. Tavernier, Wilson etc aren't going to be tested that much defensively, their team was all about blowing wee teams away and over the league season they did that well. When they came up against better teams though they were found wanting. They did fine against a complacent Celtic team but still needed penalties to beat them. I reckon they'll be a lot more pragmatic next season and I can only see Wallace of their current GK, back 4 and defensive mid being a regular starter for them next year.
    Problem they have Smartie is they are rooked!! They won't pay for anyone and there is not even the lure of Europe for them!!

I am not even sure the bread man will be there next season, **** they won a puss poor league with ease and after the SF against Smellic the fans thought that they were world beaters...... BANG straight back down to earth with a massive bump!!

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Looks more like a wide midfielder who does a bit of defending rather than a defender who can attack. A forward with a bit of pace and a ball over the top seems to do him every time and in terms of football tactics these are on the first few pages.