hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax

Your Scottish Cup story

As I make my way back to sunny Boston I keep thinking about all the people I met and their stories. That leaves about 20,970 stories I've not heard yet. I got an idea. Can you put your story into 500 words or less? Perhaps your story is only 20 words. We're all different. I'm not sure how much traction this would get but I think a collection of these stories would make a great addition to all your other Cup Final mementos. I would collect and curate those stories if there was enough interest.

Is there?

Hibsmax@yahoo.com

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Brought up in Gorgie now live in Glasgow but only ever Hibs. I love that club so much my heart is fit to burst. Thank you for the magic.

Great idea, I'd be interested both in submitting my story and also having a copy of any finished product.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Wrote a bit about my day and the emotions of it all here - https://moanthehibs.wordpress.com/20...h-cup-winners/

It's a bit amateur but I'd like to look back in a few years and remember it all. Little more than 500 words though

Starting following the Hibees in the mid sixties which kicked off with a big win against Stirling Albion at Easter Road. Back in the late sixties and early seventies was a great experience being a Hibby with wonderful European nights under the Easter Road floodlights and witnessing that 5-0 win against Napoli. Leeds United, Hamburg, Liverpool and other big names came a calling with mixed results but I wouldn't have missed any of them for the world.

I would like to say that it was my dad who was the reason for my passion for all things Hibernian but it wasn't. In fact in October 1969 when I was thirteen he told me that there was no way that I was travelling through to Ibrox to watch the Hibs. Mighty glad that I gave him the slip and went as the Hibees cuffed them that day 3-1. By accident I was the only Hibs supporter in their end but I still celebrated all three goals.

Best day of seeing the Hibees was at Hampden on Saturday when we eventually lifted the holy grail. Went with my brother and sister and had a truly great day out.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Max - I'd be happy to help if you want. Proof reading and editing to start with (linked to my job) but also putting it together. Let's discuss on pm? Again, only if you want.

Nearly never went along as had my first child born on the Wednesday. Thankfully my partner kept telling me I should go. Had a feeling all week it was coming back to leith. Great day and atmosphere. When Grays header hit the net I just remember running down stairs hugging everyone I could. The tears then started as I was thinking about how my son would never have to suffer years of heartbreak in the Scottish. Fantastic day and fantastic week.

I'm a singer in a band and was playing in Forres on the Friday. Gig didn't finish until 3am. Got up a few hours later to make the 4 hour journey to Hampden. Got there in plenty of time and so glad I made it; the day was amazing. I didn't get out of the stadium until 6pm and then had a 2 hour journey to start a gig in Dundee at 8pm. Got home at 3am and had a long lie and then straight down to Leith Walk to see the team parade the cup. Couldn't follow it all the way down as I had to be in Loanhead for 6pm for another gig. Needless to say the set list was a bit heavy with Proclaimers songs

Tired but still happy. My girlfriend was complainig that I was singing "We've got John McGinn.." in my sleep

EZ

(Edited as I can't spell properly)

If we weren't there, would there be an interest in our stories?

A great idea.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    My story would include walking with mr White, his son and cousin passing a Police Horse and commenting "well if the Police horses are on the pitch then it'll mean one thing..." And smiled. True story:
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Went with my dad and brother. a combined 117 years of suffering! Everything about this final was different. After the disappointment of the League Cup and Playoffs I just couldn't bring myself to dream about "what ifs" any longer. That said, I had to be there with the Hibernian family and something deep down told me that feeling different could signify the start of something special. We sang and drank with guys I've not seen since my early years of watching the Hibs and as we made our way to the stadium I looked to the heavens and pleaded for it to our day. From the kick off there was also something diferent about this team. They fought for every ball, looked composed and up for it.

When Halliday slotted home my heart sunk. Already writing the "brave Hibs, so close yet so far" headlines in my head.

The joy and feeling of David Gray's goal was just magical. I felt stunned, shaking, disbelief and sheer elation. I turned to my dad who brought me up a Hibee and hugged like never before as he shed tears of happiness. Shouting back and forth "we've done it, we've done it". This will forever be me and dads defining moment together and after all those years of let downs this was our time. As i looked around me at full time it became clear this was our story. The happy ending at last. Proud to be a Hibee, proud to be part of this amazing family. GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My story would include walking with mr White, his son and cousin passing a Police Horse and commenting "well if the Police horses are on the pitch then it'll mean one thing..." And smiled. True story:
    Prophetic words there...

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

A great idea.
    Absolutely!

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Great idea. I'll happily do this.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

First Team Breakthrough DCI Gene Hunt's Avatar
    My story is that due to Mrs Hunt's family visiting I missed most of the game! Unforgiveable! I did however catch the last 20 mins on BBC Radio Scotland and had the total JOY of hearing in real time THAT goal

Euphoria wouldn't describe it, I went mental in the car, phoned the old man who had cracked open a good bottle of Islay Whisky and was partying, spent the rest of the day reading Hibs.net forums which I couldn't post on as I'd forgotten my password! Cracked open a few beers with the brother in law to celebrate. Mrs H is a Tottenham fan (hails from Dahn Sahf) but even she was happy to see the mighty Hibees finally lift the SC.

P***ing myself laughing at the bitterly soor grapes in Gleska these past few days. Colleague of mine is a The Rangers/Sevco/Whatever they call it fan, he was practically expecting them to turn up and walk out with the cup, utterly fuming, winding him up something rotten

Loads of The Rangers fans up here in Inverness, they've mysteriously all gone to ground, presumably most are sitting at home furiously typing rants on social media and signing petitions...

Gene

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    As I make my way back to sunny Boston I keep thinking about all the people I met and their stories. That leaves about 20,970 stories I've not heard yet. I got an idea. Can you put your story into 500 words or less? Perhaps your story is only 20 words. We're all different. I'm not sure how much traction this would get but I think a collection of these stories would make a great addition to all your other Cup Final mementos. I would collect and curate those stories if there was enough interest.

Is there?

Hibsmax@yahoo.com
    Max, this is genius! It would be great to read all the stories and a great part of mine would involve you and your dad!

Left by mutual consent!
    Excellent idea Max - I'll get something scribbled down and fire it over to you.

One thing that will forever live in the memory was leaving the Four in Hand at around 12:30, having been drinking for the best part of 14 hours, walking up Easter Road to be met with the carnival atmosphere outside Middletons. I stood there for 10 minutes and unashamedly cried my eyes out.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    Excellent idea Max - I'll get something scribbled down and fire it over to you.

One thing that will forever live in the memory was leaving the Four in Hand at around 12:30, having been drinking for the best part of 14 hours, walking up Easter Road to be met with the carnival atmosphere outside Middletons. I stood there for 10 minutes and unashamedly cried my eyes out.
    I was outside Middletons; it was absolutely bouncing!

Big black bins used as drums & wheelie bins used as tables for the carry outs.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Sorry for the delay in replying. Just got home last night and then the whole work thing today. Very happy to see a positive response.

@GG - any help would be appreciated. I'll be in touch if this thing grows legs.

Here is what I am thinking and this is flexible. People submit as much of the following information as they feel comfortable:
    Name
    Forum or Social Media Handle
    Your Scottish Cup story: (1) Title, (2) A short preamble to set the stage, (3) The day's events as they pertain to you.

I don't think this has to be limited to those who could make it through to Hampden, we all shared in this victory together. The only restriction I would like to make is keeping it kinda short since (fingers crossed) there will be a lot of stories and we want to keep the project manageable. You don't have to be a bard or wordsmith, it's the story that is important. There will be people who edit it anyway (without changing your story) so things like grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. don't matter.

More to follow. Hopefully we don't lose momentum. This could be quite something.

Count me in, Max
    This is how it feels

The highs and lows of that were something else, not for a minute when malonga scored that screamer did I think the unthinkable was going to happen,standing in Tynie 2-0 down just about to leave for the train when Cummings scored, the elation when Hanlon scored the equaliser, being at Easter road under the flood lights, the rendition of sunshine on leith that night, the frustration of the Inverness game at Easter road,not being able to make the Inverness replay and having to suffer the radio commentary, working in dundee with a load of Arabs, raging at Cummings for the stupidity of the missed penalty, the absolute joy when Conrad Logan saved those 2 penalties and Cummings scored the winner, the fear when stokes scored so early, the tears of frustration when Rangers scored their second, the tears of relief when stokes scored the equaliser then the absolute disbelief and not wanting to sing when David Gray scored the winner to the utter disbelief of the final whistle. Being there with my uncle Alec after the past few years and sharing that moment with him as it was him that took me to Easter road in the first place is something I'll never forget. And finally taking my 82 year old grandad to the sponsors event and the parade yesterday and seeing the utter joy in his face was worth every derby defeat, 5-1, last minute defeats, cup heartaches. This is why I am a dyed in the wool hibee. I love my team. Glory glory to the great hibees. 💚⚽️💚⚽️

https://www.facebook.com/scottishcup...7469394642549/

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

A great idea.
    I am interested. I am usually not there myself but seem to have epic living experiences watching the Hibs from far away!

Quote Originally Posted by nic81 View Post
    The highs and lows of that were something else, not for a minute when malonga scored that screamer did I think the unthinkable was going to happen,standing in Tynie 2-0 down just about to leave for the train when Cummings scored, the elation when Hanlon scored the equaliser, being at Easter road under the flood lights, the rendition of sunshine on leith that night, the frustration of the Inverness game at Easter road,not being able to make the Inverness replay and having to suffer the radio commentary, working in dundee with a load of Arabs, raging at Cummings for the stupidity of the missed penalty, the absolute joy when Conrad Logan saved those 2 penalties and Cummings scored the winner, the fear when stokes scored so early, the tears of frustration when Rangers scored their second, the tears of relief when stokes scored the equaliser then the absolute disbelief and not wanting to sing when David Gray scored the winner to the utter disbelief of the final whistle. Being there with my uncle Alec after the past few years and sharing that moment with him as it was him that took me to Easter road in the first place is something I'll never forget. And finally taking my 82 year old grandad to the sponsors event and the parade yesterday and seeing the utter joy in his face was worth every derby defeat, 5-1, last minute defeats, cup heartaches. This is why I am a dyed in the wool hibee. I love my team. Glory glory to the great hibees. ⚽️⚽️

https://www.facebook.com/scottishcup...7469394642549/
    I think Malonga should get a medal. Does he get one?

Bumping this up. I'll submit something tonight.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Wrote a bit about my day and the emotions of it all here - https://moanthehibs.wordpress.com/20...h-cup-winners/

It's a bit amateur but I'd like to look back in a few years and remember it all. Little more than 500 words though
    Great report.
    Just reading it brought tears to my eyes again.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

I really enjoyed reading that. An absolutely brilliant account of saturday

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    It just felt different didn't it?

The week leading up to the final I wasn't even thinking about winning it and letting myself dream, I had put that down to me losing all hope but now I think it was because things weren't going to follow their normal path.

Tuesday I get a phone call to tell me I've won a competition to play on the pitch on Friday at Easter Road, brilliant I never win anything. Even better I can take my Dad who I bet thought he'd never get to run out that tunnel at 61. I immediately started thinking that this could probably turn in to the best weekend of my life.

Friday was amazing, I started the game and about 20 minutes in Conrad Logan appears in the corner and starts watching these 26 fans playing to an almost empty easter road. After a while the rest of the squad filter in, some of them take seats in the east and start shouting "words of encouragement" at us, fantastic. My wide was losing at half time, managed my Mickey Weir. In the second half we pulled it back to 2-2, someone cut the ball back to the penalty spot and I remember shouting at someone to leave it as I rifled it in to the back of the net, dream come true. Game finished 5-4 to us, everyone had a great time, I wondered if the weekend could get any better....

Saturday comes and I'm still not nervous, happily demolish a meal deal on the way to the game and meet up with my parents and best pal. Walk to the stadium was fine, parking was fine, nothing was going wrong. I still don't want to say that we can win it, but I'm still feeling different than any cup final before.

Stokes slots the ball home and I start dreaming, heart is pumping, can't stand still, thinking about winning the cup, having to constantly crouch and put my head in my hands. By half time I had calmed down spoke to my mate and everything was more positive than any other cup final we had been to but it still seemed like something we'd never actually see. Rangers go 2-1 up and that feeling we've had all season creeps in, played well, had lots of shots, they have had 2 on target and here we are. Enter Liam Henderson and James Keatings, these guys make an impact, Rangers subs make them exponentially worse. After 5 minutes of feeling down it seems like we can still get something because Rangers are done.

Stokes scores again and there are no nerves I'm just filled with hope, it felt like 1 minute between that and 90+2 to me. Then the corner comes in and I just see the ball fly in to the back of the net and everyone around me loses it, the guy in the row behind me picked me up and carried me for a bit, the man infront of me kissed my head, the guy next to me is sitting shaking in his seat. For the next two minutes I think I'm constantly shouting "It's really happening!" to anyone that will listen.

When the final whistle went I thought about my Granddad, gave my parents a hug, hugged everyone around us then just crouched down on the floor and had a greet.

Stood on my seat, took a selfie(which I never do) of the most jubilant I have ever looked with a pitch invasion in the background.

I don't live in Edinburgh but I drove back there anyway because I didn't want the day to end, had some food with my parents and rewatched bits of the game still in disbelief. On the way home I drove in to Edinburgh with my scarf out the window and my horn beeping. On the drive home my eyes are welling up every time I think of the ball hitting David Grays head.

My granddad never saw it, I'm sure my dad didn't think he would see it, I had thought it was impossible for years now but we did it!

It was the perfect weekend, I wouldn't change a single thing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post

I really enjoyed reading that. An absolutely brilliant account of saturday
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy.1875 View Post
    Great report.
    Just reading it brought tears to my eyes again.
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate it

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    My nerves have been so shredded at Hibs games in the past that I've not been at derbies that were on my season ticket (never missed a big win though, thankfully), and I left the Hamilton play off when it went to extra time as it was the most uncomfortable and horrendous 90 minutes that I've ever been involved in. I just couldn't handle it.

However, on Saturday I felt overwhelmingly positive the whole game, and wasn't disheartened at any point, even when we went behind, as I always felt that there was more in the game for us the way we were playing. With 5 minutes to go my brother said to me that he wished it could just be extra time then, as he couldn't handle the tension - I'm normally the same, but had this weird feeling of serenity that somehow everything was going to be ok.

Think it was a combination of how well we were playing and the number of chances we were creating, alongside the knowledge that - whatever was to happen - every Hibs player to a man had given a performance to be proud of.

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    My Scottish cup story...

My son was born 02/02/16 he was featured in the match program for our cup replay against hearts. His copy was signed....Hibs went on to win the Scottish Cup...If carslberg did years!!
    Last edited by Stokesy's on fire; 26-05-2016 at 02:15 PM.