hibs.net Messageboard

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

Upcoming Scotland Friendlies - TV

What an absolute farce that BBC Scotland aren't providing coverage of the 2 upcoming friendlies we have against Italy and France. Instead, they're on Premier Sports - no doubt a subscription based channel?

Northern Ireland games being shown on BBC 2 NI, England's upcoming friendlies being shown on ITV - poor, poor, poor.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What an absolute farce that BBC Scotland aren't providing coverage of the 2 upcoming friendlies we have against Italy and France. Instead, they're on Premier Sports - no doubt a subscription based channel?

Northern Ireland games being shown on BBC 2 NI, England's upcoming friendlies being shown on ITV - poor, poor, poor.
    Don't blame the BBC, blame the SFA for not getting a deal to show them on free to view channels.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Is it not the case that broadcasting rights are sold by the host nation and therefore there's not much the SFA can do about it? So in that case the BBC/Sky whoever can be blamed to some extent as if they can't outbid "premier sports" then they can't have been offering much money.

Left by mutual consent!
    With the Scottish Cup final just two days away, is it really that big a deal whether a couple of meaningless Scotland friendlies are on TV? There are generally few events in football more dull than a Scotland friendly. Personally I'm quite happy to be spared them.

Quote Originally Posted by EH75 View Post
    Is it not the case that broadcasting rights are sold by the host nation and therefore there's not much the SFA can do about it? So in that case the BBC/Sky whoever can be blamed to some extent as if they can't outbid "premier sports" then they can't have been offering much money.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    With the Scottish Cup final just two days away, is it really that big a deal whether a couple of meaningless Scotland friendlies are on TV? There are generally few events in football more dull than a Scotland friendly. Personally I'm quite happy to be spared them.

You're quite happy to be spared a LC Final if theres a meaningless rugby international being played though.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Wouldn't be watching them in any case, as someone who has grown up with the Scotland national team being a synonym for "glorious failure" I'm not that interested.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    You're quite happy to be spared a LC Final if theres a meaningless rugby international being played though.
    Oooft

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I think that's harsh. I make no bones about attending Six Nations games and my personal reasons for doing so (and that particular one turned out to be a considerably happier event than being at Hampden). There are actually very few Scotland rugby friendlies and I don't watch them either, but overall there's at least a hope that the Scotland rugby side will achieve something. They were desperately unlucky not to reach the World Cup final last year, something we will never be able to say about the Scotland football team. I used to attend Scotland football matches home and away when the great frustration was that we were never able to progress beyond the group stages of major tournaments. For the last 20 years we can't even get near qualifying for the tournaments and it's come to a sorry pass if friendlies are all we have to get excited by. Personally I wouldn't even consider watching these games, but that's just my take on it.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    I think that's harsh. I make no bones about attending Six Nations games and my personal reasons for doing so (and that particular one turned out to be a considerably happier event than being at Hampden). There are actually very few Scotland rugby friendlies and I don't watch them either, but overall there's at least a hope that the Scotland rugby side will achieve something. They were desperately unlucky not to reach the World Cup final last year, something we will never be able to say about the Scotland football team. I used to attend Scotland football matches home and away when the great frustration was that we were never able to progress beyond the group stages of major tournaments. For the last 20 years we can't even get near qualifying for the tournaments and it's come to a sorry pass if friendlies are all we have to get excited by. Personally I wouldn't even consider watching these games, but that's just my take on it.
    Semi final they would have played Argentina if they hadnt been done over by Joubert. There are obviously a much smaller pool of countries that play rugby to football so there is no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Semi final they would have played Argentina if they hadnt been done over by Joubert. There are obviously a much smaller pool of countries that play rugby to football so there is no comparison.
    Plus its a semi final in what in reality is a minority sport. Big deal.

Wales friendly away to Sweden before the Euros is on Premier as well. Was looking forward to seeing that as well.

I think that's harsh. I make no bones about attending Six Nations games and my personal reasons for doing so (and that particular one turned out to be a considerably happier event than being at Hampden). There are actually very few Scotland rugby friendlies and I don't watch them either, but overall there's at least a hope that the Scotland rugby side will achieve something.
    Hibs were in with the chance of achieving something that day @ Hampden up until practically the last kick of the ball. I'm glad you enjoyed your day out though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    What I meant was that had they beaten Australia they'd have been in with a real shout v Argentina and hence a spot in the final but I didn't bother going into detail as I'm aware rugby chat will bore most on here ;-)

I don't wholly agree with your second point though. The pool of countries may be smaller, but Scotland are still capable of punching above their weight on occasion. The Scotland football team have long seemed incapable of that.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by itslegaltender View Post
    Plus its a semi final in what in reality is a minority sport. Big deal.
    It was still a way bigger deal around the world than this Saturday's Scottish Cup final will be.

Minority sport or not, though, what's the problem with being passionate about sports other than football?

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EH75 View Post
    Premier Sports must have outbid BBC and Sky for the recent away game against the Czech Republic too then...perhaps they do have a contract for meaningless away friendlies!

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    I'm heading off to Metz for the France friendly.

Good weekend in the sun and get to visit a part of France I never normally go to.

What's not to like about that?

My expectations are firmly low for Scotland, hence its difficult to disappoint me.
    Hibs on the other hand, continuously let me down because my hopes/expectations are higher.

J

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post

Good weekend in the sun and get to visit a part of France I never normally go to.
    See you there too!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post

What's not to like about that?

My expectations are firmly low for Scotland, hence its difficult to disappoint me.
    Hibs on the other hand, continuously let me down because my hopes/expectations are higher.

J
    Strip out the bit where you have to sit through a Scotland game and it sounds like a very pleasant wee holiday

Left by mutual consent!
    Strip out the bit where you have to sit through a Scotland game and it sounds like a very pleasant wee holiday
    Watching the future European Champs and super John will be decent.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Which sort of begs the question why you bothered clicking on, let alone commenting on the topic?
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    We got the English Woman's FA Cup Final on BBC1 though 😕. Usual Anglo-centric broadcasters.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Thank god. Rubbing salt into the wounds "we can't qualify for the European Championship while everyone else on the island can, but it's alright we can play friendlies against France and Italy, one of them in France, it's almost like we're there!" That's what the SFA are telling us.