hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

So, with head ruling heart, how are you feeling about Saturday?

I would summarise my mood as hopeful but not confident. That isn't because The Rangers are a good side, rather it's Hibs, and what's more, it's the Scottish Cup final. Something will go wrong; perhaps a freak own goal; perhaps an early red card; perhaps a goal that's five yards offside will be allowed to stand. It could be anything, but I'm sure something will go against us, just as it always seems to. I was very confident for the League Cup final, so was left scunnered as a consequence. This time I'm much more philosophical about how things are likely to pan out.

On the positive side, I suppose it's true a pessimist can't be disappointed, so, if we actually win the thing, the joy will be all the greater. If any club deserves a change of luck for once it's us. The support will do all we can once again, so it's down to the players to do their part in a massive game. I'll hope for the best, but think I'm ready to face the worst.

Hand on heart, how is everyone else feeling?
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 17-05-2016 at 09:48 PM.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Can't get up for it yet, avoided all tabloids and the usual stuff I would be reading up to the final. Hopefully this changes in the next couple of days. As for the match itself I'm not optimistic but you never know.

Best chance we've had for at least the last 20 years.

Still not confident though

Getting to the stage now where I'm not that bothered. If we win it, brilliant, party of the century. If we lose, well, it's just another year.

Typical that our last 3 sc finals have come against either half of the old firm and Hearts

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    it's all down to which hibs team turns up, would love to get two quick goals and shut the bigoted vermin up for the rest of the game, maybe give them a wee consolation goal 45 seconds to go we gave Ross co their first major piece of silverware, lets not give sevco theirs

Not up for this at all yet but realistically we are 2-2 in league games this season. They've not played a competitive game for three weeks and haven't had to play properly for around 6 weeks.

We have a chance.

@hibs.net private member
    Boys get yer passport sorted we're going to Europe....

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Being honest I fear an early goal against which could knock the stuffing out of the players and the fans. I would like at the least for us still to be in the game with 15/20 mins to go as the 2012/13 finals were non events in that regard. If so then I think we can do it. We are certainly due some luck.

Not confident but not despairing. Like the bookies, I make them favourites. I do agree it has to be the best chance we've had in my time though.

I was explaining to my mate at weekend, it's almost like it's been that big a thing, that long a time, with so many heartbreaks - that I just can't picture myself in the sheer euphoria and emotional atmosphere of a Scottish Cup winning final whistle.

I only hope I do learn what it's like in a few days.

First Team Breakthrough
    We have beat them this season, they have beat us it could go either way. Rangers are favourites and expected to win which could help us, I always feel hibs play better when we are not necessarily expected to win.

Would love to be wrong but I think we're going to go out with a subdued whimper. I'd be amazed if Stubbs can get the players up for this after Friday. Meanwhile they've been sitting with their cloven hooves up and nothing else to think about. 3-0 to the New Huns.

We will win it 3-2 Jason in 85th minute winner :)

First Team Regular ArmadaleHibs's Avatar
    With ALL that's happened in the last few years I really think this is it. Normally go into Scottish cup finals thinking oh we will lose but you never know. This time tho, and for the first time ever, were as good as if not better than the team were up against.

You just never know. It is Hibs tho so don't be surprised either way

Ggtth

we were underdogs for the final prior to the play off games. the only thing that has changed is this is the only tournament we remain in. Rangers are still favourites and rightly so, but as others have said this is still our best chance in my lifetime to lift the cup.

the one thing we must do is press from the first whistle - dont go gung ho so that we concede early as that will crush the confidence of everybody associated with hibs in the stadium but keep our shape and press them high up the pitch hopefully stealing a couple of goals in the first half hour.

the amount of unnecessary pressure we have put on ourselves since Friday is crazy. these competitions are entirely different and in reality, all the pressure should be on Rangers not Hibs so lets play up to that but stand up and be counted on Saturday when it matters and we can win

We're a wounded animal going into this game against an idle Rangers side without three of their attacking players - O'Hallaron, Forrester, King - Waghorn will not be match sharp. Their holding midfielder in Ball is suspended, an area they struggled in with Halliday before Ball.

This means so much more to us than it does to Rangers, and we now have to team who will seriously fight for it, unlike the last two SC finals. In the last game we got the better of them and the scoreline should have read better than 3-2, we are capable of playing a 3-5-2 system that limits their fullbacks, who are their most dangerous players. We may still be slight underdogs but we have a great chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would summarise my mood as hopeful but not confident. That isn't because The Rangers are a good side, rather it's Hibs, and what more it's the Scottish Cup final. Something will go wrong; perhaps a freak own goal; perhaps an early red card; perhaps a goal that's five yards offside will be allowed to stand. It could be anything, but I'm sure something will go against us, just as it always seems to. I was very confident for the League Cup final, so was left scunnered as a consequence. This time I'm much more philosophical about how things are likely to pan out.

On the positive side, I suppose it's true a pessimist can't be disappointed, so, if we actually win the thing, the joy will be all the greater. If any club deserves a change of luck for once it's us. The support will do all we can once again, so it's down to the players to do their part in a massive game. I'll hope for the best, but think I'm ready to face the worst.

i was welll up for it in any case but my old man is being a major downer and its bringing me down... dont know hy it makes any difference what happened to us in the ply off but it does.

It's a final we can win. After last week I'm not exactly confident but we have a chance and I don't think we will have a better one of winning the bloody thing.

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    we go again......2-1 hibs
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

Quote Originally Posted by HibsNutter View Post
    We're a wounded animal going into this game against an idle Rangers side without three of their attacking players - O'Hallaron, Forrester, King - Waghorn will not be match sharp. Their holding midfielder in Ball is suspended, an area they struggled in with Halliday before Ball.

This means so much more to us than it does to Rangers, and we now have to team who will seriously fight for it, unlike the last two SC finals. In the last game we got the better of them and the scoreline should have read better than 3-2, we are capable of playing a 3-5-2 system that limits their fullbacks, who are their most dangerous players. We may still be slight underdogs but we have a great chance.
    You think so? This is their first chance of a national trophy. Or as they see it, the chance to announce that they're "back". They will be well up for it.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsNutter View Post

They've been working on his fitness for weeks now, he will be ready.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    One of the main reasons we didn't get promoted is one of the main reasons why we have an excellent chance here. We are actually a footballing side rather than hoof merchants - and that, in my view, suits against The Rangers.

Honestly? Objectively I think we could win this 3-1.

Equally, this is Hibs. So we could lose 5-0 on penalties, after having a man sent off and with the referee joining in the celebrations - despite playing them off the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Players only get up to their maximum level by playing competitive games, anyone who's played the game will tell you that.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    You think so? This is their first chance of a national trophy. Or as they see it, the chance to announce that they're "back". They will be well up for it.
    Not saying that they won't be up for it, of course they will. But with our record in the competition coupled with the sheer hurt of the play-offs and the LC final, the players have something to prove.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Also watched him v St Midden and he was the best player on the pitch untill they took him off after 70 minutes or so.

The fact they finished the season with a few dodgy results, even though they had already won the league and not had a game for 3 weeks is going to work massively in our favour.

It's not going to be easy for them to come out of holiday mode and get fired up for a feisty Cup Final.

Where as we have just basically played 4 cup finals then a perfect break.

I just hope our players all turn up on the day and the officials get all the decisions correct then we'll win.

I think this is absolutely perfectly tee'd up for Stokes.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    1902 laid to rest.

4-2 Hibs in an epic!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    I would summarise my mood as hopeful but not confident. That isn't because The Rangers are a good side, rather it's Hibs, and what more it's the Scottish Cup final. Something will go wrong; perhaps a freak own goal; perhaps an early red card; perhaps a goal that's five yards offside will be allowed to stand. It could be anything, but I'm sure something will go against us, just as it always seems to. I was very confident for the League Cup final, so was left scunnered as a consequence. This time I'm much more philosophical about how things are likely to pan out.

I am genuinely very exited. Get real this is the SCOTTISH CUP FINAL!!!!!

Come on the Cabbage!!!

GGTTH

First Team Regular Billy McKirdy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: N?A Wii Code: N?A
    Actually think we're going to do this, not blind faith but just a wee feeling inside that's telling me 'this is our time'.
    We're not favourites at all but I believe we have enough quality and desire to get this monkey off our back.
    I hope I'm right.

Realistically I hope Rangers defend and attack worse than we do, and we have more luck than they do.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Logiegreener View Post
    I am genuinely very exited. Get real this is the SCOTTISH CUP FINAL!!!!!

Come on the Cabbage!!!

GGTTH
    I know, but I've always been a worrier, and we've had so many kicks in the baws; it just ALWAYS seems to happen.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875