hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly. That is as imbalanced a view of Stubbs capabilities as I've read. I'm not for a minute saying he is a perfect manager - but a more balanced view would note that he picked up a basket case of a team and got them to second in year one and a semi final - he plays possession football and in his second year he failed in his promotion hunt due to a very poor 8 game spell , which has some questions attached to it - he narrowly lost a league final , has had strong result s against top league teams, and is fighting for promotion and the Scottish cup . He comes over as a young manager learning the game , has lots of raw talent and whilst has risks, is two years a better manager than when he started with us

I think he would be a great choice for Blackburn - and he would do well - I hope he doesn't go - as I can't think of a Better management team available to us than the one we currently have
    Is it really, Hearts and Sevco brought in just as many players who went straight into their teams as we did, Hearts skooshed the league As did sevco with their new manager.

2 years in and we finished with the same amount of points but less goals scored, i'd say we have not improved on last season.

There's still time for us and him to really improve, something we all hope he does and we do.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think that once the dust has settled we will all (and probably Stubbsy himself) accept that he had a duff January transfer window. We lost players we shouldn't have, the signing of Stokes (which seemed like a great bit of business at the time) didn't work out and we left ourselves short of cover for the number of games we had to play (victims of our own success due to doing well in the cups).

In spite of all of that, the next fortnight could yet see us promoted and winning the cup.

Stubbs was brilliant for a season and a half, he just needs to find a way to get us over the line with a squad that Stubbs will in th long run admit is probably not quite good or balanced enough.

From there, imo it would be brilliant to see him stay and have a crack at the top league next season or if the worst happens rectify the mistakes and take us up as Champions from another challenging Championship.

If he chooses to go we should be realistic about where we were when he joined and how far he's taken us in a short time.

And if we're going to slaughter Stubbs for what he's done during his time with us we've got to wonder what to expect of the next guy. There are a lot of Calderwoods and Butcher's floating about out there so I think some people need to be careful what they wish for.
    he may still turn out to be the big name player making the difference......

If we win the cup and go up, he's done more than any of us could have hoped for this year.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJM View Post
    Why would journos down South wish to stir up speculation?
    My point being more of the timing of the news opposed to who released it but won't be long until the Scottish Press pick up on it.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Is it really, Hearts and Sevco brought in just as many players who went straight into their teams as we did, Hearts skooshed the league As did sevco with their new manager.

2 years in and we finished with the same amount of points but less goals scored, i'd say we have not improved on last season.

There's still time for us and him to really improve, something we all hope he does and we do.
    Would it not be fair to factor in the two cup runs which affected our league form? Not to mention injuries to key players?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanWilson View Post
    he may still turn out to be the big name player making the difference......

If we win the cup and go up, he's done more than any of us could have hoped for this year.
    A very fair point.

I also think that Stokes has knocked his pan in and generally played well for us.

But as it stands our achilles heel for the past 2 years has not been being able to take enough of the chances that have come our way, we haven't scored enough goals and the signing of Stokes hasn't improved this enough, if at all.

This is the kind of thing that Stubbs will ultimately be judged on.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Would it not be fair to factor in the two cup runs which affected our league form? Not to mention injuries to key players?
    We did bring in quite a few players that Stubbs said would be quality rather than squad fillers, giving us a squad i'd imagine as big if not bigger than any in our division.

Its also been said on here that our squad is the strongest in the league, but results don't reflect this.

Surely we are not the only team thats had injuries?

The cup runs have been great, and welcome. I don't know if these runs have affected our league form, Stubbs would need to answer that?

I'm not really sure why winning a cup game on Tuesday night would affect us to the point of losing twice to Dumbarton?

Some of his team selections and tactics have affected our results in my opinion, both good and bad, but we are where we are and the buck stops with him.

Its a results business, and he will rise or fall with them.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    We did bring in quite a few players that Stubbs said would be quality rather than squad fillers, giving us a squad i'd imagine as big if not bigger than any in our division.

Its also been said on here that our squad is the strongest in the league, but results don't reflect this.

Surely we are not the only team thats had injuries?

The cup runs have been great, and welcome. I don't know if these runs have affected our league form, Stubbs would need to answer that?

I'm not really sure why winning a cup game on Tuesday night would affect us to the point of losing twice to Dumbarton?

Some of his team selections and tactics have affected our results in my opinion, both good and bad, but we are where we are and the buck stops with him.

Its a results business, and he will rise or fall with them.

Fair enough, I just think the semi final win v St Johnstone and the two Hearts game took it out of us mentally and physically. I think it was around about the bad run started. Much like when teams play in Europe midweek it seems to affect their next league game. That's not to say that Stubbs has not made mistakes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think that once the dust has settled we will all (and probably Stubbsy himself) accept that he had a duff January transfer window. We lost players we shouldn't have, the signing of Stokes (which seemed like a great bit of business at the time) didn't work out and we left ourselves short of cover for the number of games we had to play (victims of our own success due to doing well in the cups).

In spite of all of that, the next fortnight could yet see us promoted and winning the cup.

Stubbs was brilliant for a season and a half, he just needs to find a way to get us over the line with a squad that Stubbs will in th long run admit is probably not quite good or balanced enough.

From there, imo it would be brilliant to see him stay and have a crack at the top league next season or if the worst happens rectify the mistakes and take us up as Champions from another challenging Championship.

If he chooses to go we should be realistic about where we were when he joined and how far he's taken us in a short time.

And if we're going to slaughter Stubbs for what he's done during his time with us we've got to wonder what to expect of the next guy. There are a lot of Calderwoods and Butcher's floating about out there so I think some people need to be careful what they wish for.
    It took him at least 2 months to get up to scratch which at that stage of the season is unforgivable. We let Dom go when I reckon we could have had a wee word with him and tell him he can leave at end of season. Signing of Stokes and Dagnall essentially sealed his exit.

That said, Stokes has done well in recent weeks and could very well have a say in the next fortnight!

Tomorrow Stubbs will probably be linked with Forest job. Just rag talk

Quote Originally Posted by munchar View Post
    I'd even tuck him in & bring him a nightcap! 🍷👍
    And I'd wash his car whilst he does it!!

Quote Originally Posted by SJM View Post
    Why would journos down South wish to stir up speculation?
    Why would a load of hibs fans love to stir it up also?

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Why would a load of hibs fans love to stir it up also?
    Who's stirring it, end of season talk about our manager or any of our better players will always be of importance.

Bolton the other day, Blackburn today, who will it be next week?

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Bolton the other day, Blackburn today, who will it be next week?
    Burnley?
    Sean Dyche will be linked every other job

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Who's stirring it, end of season talk about our manager or any of our better players will always be of importance.
    its not end of season. we have 4 vital games to go. u couldn't pick a worse time for this rubbish

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Fail to see how his stock is so high.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Fail to see how his stock is so high.
    I know...it's really bizarre. Even if he got us promotion and won the cup there would still be a good few managers with better qualifications currently in Scotland.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Daily Record running with the story too although I pressume it's the same source.

Fwiw whether it's Bolton, Blackburn or another I'm pretty sure he'll be away after our last game. No inside info, just think he seems to have built a reputation down south (how warranted that reputation is probably for another debate) so job done in that regard. I don't think he's got a lot to gain by staying with us but will have a support ready to put the pressure on him should things start to go wrong at all if we don't go up.

I also think when asked about the Bolton job his refusal to deny it said a lot more than what he actually did say.

Whatever happens between now and the end of the season I wish him well, seems like a good guy even if I've not always been overly keen on his management.
    Agree, the only thing he didn't talk about was a bag of sweeties.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I know...it's really bizarre. Even if he got us promotion and won the cup there would still be a good few managers with better qualifications currently in Scotland.
    Im sorry but who would have a better qualification than taking a champ club to one national final..win the scottish and get promoted...in the same season???? Im interested to hear who?

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Wonder if the bookies are giving any odds on the Stubbs to Preston story being carried by the ****** before the Cup final? Just need to complete that wee trio before fanning out to Blackpool, Fleetwood, Bury,Tranmere etc.

Really unsettling yet not one English club seems to fancy the breadman, deary me.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Wonder if the bookies are giving any odds on the Stubbs to Preston story being carried by the ****** before the Cup final? Just need to complete that wee trio before fanning out to Blackpool, Fleetwood, Bury,Tranmere etc.

Really unsettling yet not one English club seems to fancy the breadman, deary me.
    Everton are being reported as being interested in warburton.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    They like taking Rangers men to Goodison.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    its not end of season. we have 4 vital games to go. u couldn't pick a worse time for this rubbish
    Near as dammit, a fairly successful manager gets linked with other clubs, no real surprise and I'm pretty sure Stubbs won't let any of this affect his job. Some of you need to get a grip , these things will always happen when you have a bit of success.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Near as dammit, a fairly successful manager gets linked with other clubs, no real surprise and I'm pretty sure Stubbs won't let any of this affect his job. Some of you need to get a grip , these things will always happen when you have a bit of success.
    Fairly successful is a push I think, not achieved anything to date

Never seen it, are the Scottish media going large on this story which might unsettle the rangers at a delicate time as they pursue their first ever Scottish cup?

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    It's just another sliced loaf. Not that interesting really.

Why Stubbs let Malonga go and brought in Dagnall is beyond me!Dom might have been a better partner for Stokes, one things for sure, JC's game suffered and he and Stokes didn't hit it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    Im sorry but who would have a better qualification than taking a champ club to one national final..win the scottish and get promoted...in the same season???? Im interested to hear who?
    1. McInnes (league cup and consistent in league)
    2. Neilson (beat Stubbs by about 20 points and comfortable 3rd)
    3. Wright (Scottish cup and pretty good in league)

Also must be acknowledged...

4. Hughes (Scottish cup and ok in league)
    5. Hartley (won promotion and done reasonable in league)

And 3/5 of these clubs would be so called 'smaller' clubs.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    1. McInnes (league cup and consistent in league)
    2. Neilson (beat Stubbs by about 20 points and comfortable 3rd)
    3. Wright (Scottish cup and pretty good in league)

Also must be acknowledged...

4. Hughes (Scottish cup and ok in league)
    5. Hartley (won promotion and done reasonable in league)

And 3/5 of these clubs would be so called 'smaller' clubs.
    1 & 3 you could argue.

The rest, not a chance if Stubbs gets us the cup and promotion in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post
    1 & 3 you could argue.

The rest, not a chance if Stubbs gets us the cup and promotion in my opinion.
    Stubbs compares very well indeed against number 2 in direct contests of their tactics, player selections and results, but then number 2 is a number 2 in every sense of the word.

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreenside View Post
    Fairly successful is a push I think, not achieved anything to date

They will see the decent football on show and will have noticed the cup runs too, remember Mowbray hadn't really achieved anything up here and went to WBA.