hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Performance last night

Amid all the furore over the blatant penalty it has got to be said that the first 30 mins of the second half was absolutely terrific. The tempo was great and we created loads of chances, absolute first rate performance and galling that it didn't get us the deserved win. Hopefully we can continue in the same vein for the remaining games. Special mention to Hendo and Dylan IMO.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Yep. The best we have played since the hearts home game. Absolute rocket up their ***** must have been had at half time.

I thought that the significant change at the start of the second half was that Stokes played as an out and out forward. That meant that when the ball went to the front line Cummings wasn't on his own against their back four and we looked far more dangerous.

I've been baffled by the way Stokes has continually played as an additional midfielder and I think he must have been given a clear instruction not to drop back in the way he normally does.

Quote Originally Posted by SJM View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep. The best we have played since the hearts home game. Absolute rocket up their ***** must have been had at half time.
    Hopefully Stubbs can use the anger from last night in a positive way to bring something similar out of the players on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Amid all the furore over the blatant penalty it has got to be said that the first 30 mins of the second half was absolutely terrific. The tempo was great and we created loads of chances, absolute first rate performance and galling that it didn't get us the deserved win. Hopefully we can continue in the same vein for the remaining games. Special mention to Hendo and Dylan IMO.
    DMcG is such a good footballer. The difference he can make to our play is superb. Henderson is just a touch of class, really talented and very passionate. NOt a coincidence that McGinn looked back on it with DMcG back in the team allowing McGinn and Henderson the freedom to do there stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post
    I thought that the significant change at the start of the second half was that Stokes played as an out and out forward. That meant that when the ball went to the front line Cummings wasn't on his own against their back four and we looked far more dangerous.

I've been baffled by the way Stokes has continually played as an additional midfielder and I think he must have been given a clear instruction not to drop back in the way he normally does.

Also Fyvie really upped his game and began bossing the midfield, it's just a pity we always seem to go behind before we decide we need to up the tempo and go for it.

Testimonial Due
    Thought the first half was ok, we controlled the match (very unlucky to be behind,although not for the first time this season)

Thought the second half was a brilliant performance, all quick passes, intensity and conviction. Us at our best. Also thought some of the one touch link up, particularly down the left was brilliant. Stokes and henderson link up so well.

We have to play like this on friday, and a couple of more times this season!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanWilson View Post
    DMcG is such a good footballer. The difference he can make to our play is superb. Henderson is just a touch of class, really talented and very passionate. NOt a coincidence that McGinn looked back on it with DMcG back in the team allowing McGinn and Henderson the freedom to do there stuff.
    Yep Dylan was great and as you say Super John now looks much better. Just got to hope Dylan stays fit until season end. Could be huge.

Testimonial Due
    Yep Dylan was great and as you say Super John now looks much better. Just got to hope Dylan stays fit until season end. Could be huge.
    I wince evertime he goes into a challenge at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Also Fyvie really upped his game and began bossing the midfield, it's just a pity we always seem to go behind before we decide we need to up the tempo and go for it.
    I thought that the fullbacks finding better positions going forward helped Fyvie dominate the game in the second half.

Whether we like it or not, Gray and Stevenson really are key players for us. They held back a bit too much during the first half and it meant we were too static and Fyvie had no options on the ball.

Fyvie got better as we managed to get the wide players (especially Gray last night imo) into the game.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar

When Dylan plays Stokes doesn't need to drop back.

Left by mutual consent!
    Dylan Will be benefiting hugely from these games, and will be getting closer to full fitness with each one.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I thought that the fullbacks finding better positions going forward helped Fyvie dominate the game in the second half.

Whether we like it or not, Gray and Stevenson really are key players for us. They held back a bit too much during the first half and it meant we were too static and Fyvie had no options on the ball.

Fyvie got better as we managed to get the wide players (especially Gray last night imo) into the game.

Yep, this too, so many things better in the 2nd, it was night and day. The 1st half wasn't bad just meh, side to side passing and usual no penetration but as you say, Gray and Stevenson were more direct and the whole team were so much better, just a shame the officials were shocking.

Hibs were better in the second half but look at the chances we missed. Can't blame the ref for that.

We're not good enough really.

Picked up on that last night and totally agree.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Amazingly all of our goals came from getting down the wings and putting the ball in the box. In the first half we were almost doing it but Lewis cut back and inside too many times. We were hesitant all over the park, instead of playing instinctively the players were taking 3-4 second just to decide what to do with the ball. Second half was much more fluid.

The first goal was a flook, second goal was bad defending and goal keeping, the defenders should deal with the ball, the striker shouldnt get to turn and shoot, then logan should get it. We were the better team but we didn't come out at the end that way. If we can keep playing like the second half it will be a great end to the season.

McGeouch was fantastic, he uses the ball so well I forgot how good he was.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    Amazingly all of our goals came from getting down the wings and putting the ball in the box. In the first half we were almost doing it but Lewis cut back and inside too many times. We were hesitant all over the park, instead of playing instinctively the players were taking 3-4 second just to decide what to do with the ball. Second half was much more fluid.

The first goal was a flook, second goal was bad defending and goal keeping, the defenders should deal with the ball, the striker shouldnt get to turn and shoot, then logan should get it. We were the better team but we didn't come out at the end that way. If we can keep playing like the second half it will be a great end to the season.

McGeouch was fantastic, he uses the ball so well I forgot how good he was.

Due to not having anyone in the box, Stokes was playing far too deep and only Cummings was up top, 2nd half Stokes was further forward giving more options, plus the midfield was more direct.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Yeah I thought so too. No surprise that as soon as we actually got more players in their area they started flapping at the back. Cummings gets a bit of grief for not being involved enough, but a lot of the time he's up there with 2 defenders dealing with him while Hibs midfield slowly move it about outside the box. Don't get me wrong, keeping the ball is a good thing, but often it's passing and possession that's not getting us anywhere. Get men into their area, get them panicking. They're nothing special and they will make mistakes.

Still need to deliver the ball into the area from wide a hell of a lot better though.

Although it didn't work out I think we played within ourselves in the first half to see if the rest period for Falkirk made any difference and our full backs didn't want to get caught too far up.In the second half it was perfectly obvious that the "tired"team were running the legs off the "rested"team who couldn't get out of their half.It was a great effort ruined by a dreadful refereeing decision(I thought he handled it twice!)that took away our momentum.Had we scored the penalty I think we would have won by 4/5 goals and the tie would be over.As it is the team know we are the better team with room for improvement.Keep the tempo up and we'll win no bother.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    I thought the game was absolutely dire in the first half. As always, faaaar too pedestrian. The no. of passes that go backwards is unreal. When we got the goal a different team emerged. Why oh why wait till half the game is over?
    We should be going for it from the off. It's so frustrating when you know the talent to tear teams apart is there.
    Why do we drive with our brakes on for 45mins?

Falkirk were set up to crowd the centre of the pitch, block our passes and hit on the counter. This worked until halftime. Second half we attacked with tempo and were frequently getting the ball out wide, which had them scrambling.
    Start like that on Friday and the game will be over by HT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk