hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member StevieT's Avatar

Giving the match officials abuse

Let me start off by owning up to being a referee.

I have no problem with people letting the match officials that they have made mistakes. We are all entitled to our opinions and to our interpretation of the laws of the game. Last night wash a shocking performance by all three match officials. The guy on the East side didn't seem to know how to orwhen to signal. He missed so many decisions it was unreal. The mistakes by the referee have been well documented on this site.

My gripe is with people giving abuse at officials when they are clearly in the wrong.

Last night there was a guy sitting a few rows behind me who gave the East side assistand dogs abuse in the first half. Each time Falkirk had a goal kick, Lee Miller would stand beyond the Hibs back four and then make a run in front of the centre backs to attack the ball. Each time this guy shouted that he was offside and told the assistant in no uncertain terms how useless he was for not being able to see this. This was followed by the guy in fron tof him who was shouting that if the assistant got it wrong again he would 'cave his f'ing head in'.

I then let them know that they were making fools of themselves by shouting this as you cannot be offside from a goal kick. Needless to say that went down like a lead balloon (as did my comment that Grey had played them onside for the first goal). Cue the question 'How the F can you see from here?'...the same way as you think you can see from here that he was offside.

If you are going to give officials abuse then at least brush up on the laws of the game.

Oh, and yes, the match officials were rank rotten last night.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by StevieT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

If you are going to give officials abuse then at least brush up on the laws of the game.
    I will do if the Refs do so first.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I played the game till early 80s to Junior level for a bit. I've watched it since. Last night was genuinely the first time I had known you couldn't be offside for a goal kick. I am sure in fact I know that there is is a huge chunk of fans in the same boat if they would admit it. Fans givingofficials abuse is part of the game mate.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

I have no problem with people letting the match officials that they have made mistakes. We are all entitled to our opinions and to our interpretation of the laws of the game. Last night wash a shocking performance by all three match officials. The guy on the East side didn't seem to know how to orwhen to signal. He missed so many decisions it was unreal. The mistakes by the referee have been well documented on this site.

My gripe is with people giving abuse at officials when they are clearly in the wrong.

Last night there was a guy sitting a few rows behind me who gave the East side assistand dogs abuse in the first half. Each time Falkirk had a goal kick, Lee Miller would stand beyond the Hibs back four and then make a run in front of the centre backs to attack the ball. Each time this guy shouted that he was offside and told the assistant in no uncertain terms how useless he was for not being able to see this. This was followed by the guy in fron tof him who was shouting that if the assistant got it wrong again he would 'cave his f'ing head in'.

I then let them know that they were making fools of themselves by shouting this as you cannot be offside from a goal kick. Needless to say that went down like a lead balloon (as did my comment that Grey had played them onside for the first goal). Cue the question 'How the F can you see from here?'...the same way as you think you can see from here that he was offside.

Totally agree about the ignorance of some about the laws. My sons and I were laughing at a guy behind us who was mouthing off about offside when it was a goal kick. Quite funny.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    There would maybe be a better relationship between fans and officials if they explained their decisions sometimes instead of hiding in silence which makes them appear arrogant and aloof to supporters. Someone mentioned the whistle blower website which gave them a chance to do so which lasted a few weeks before being totally abandoned. They don't do much to help themselves.

It's an interesting point. I played amateur for 15 years and have watched hundreds of matches and there are still rules that catch me by surprise.

The throw in one was a good one last night. Logan will have been a bit rattled after his mistake and I think he might have been caught on the hop a bit with their long throw. Counter-intuitive as it is, Logan would be best to let the ball go in if nobody's touched it and he could get himself into a world of trouble by touching it on the way, fumbling it or letting it bounce off the frame of the goal to another player. Easy to criticise the keeper but it was a fairly unique situation regarding the rules and I think Logan will have been caught out a bit where instinct tells you to do one thing but you kind of know to do something else?

There are obvious and fundamental ones that managers and pundits manage to get wrong regularly though so what chance do most punters have?

How often have we had a debate re whether or not a player was the "last man"? Doesn't matter, was it a clear goalscoring opportunity?

Did he get the ball? Doesn't bloody matter, was there excessive force or recklessness involved?

Was it ball to hand or hand to ball? Doesn't bloody matter, if his hand is in that position then……

etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Totally agree about the ignorance of some about the laws. My sons and I were laughing at a guy behind us who was mouthing off about offside when it was a goal kick. Quite funny.
    Is this a new addition to the rules? I'm in the same boat as Alex previously where I was always under the impression that there is offside from a goal kick! Certainly I've been caught offside from a goal kick plenty of times in FIFA

What did you make of the discussion from Craigan and Lovell on BT Sport both saying it wasnt a penalty because the Falkirk player wasnt looking at the ball and just put his hand down and happened to catch the ball. Incredible view IMO from 2 ex-professionals IMO. To me it was honestly the single worst decision I have ever seen given the view of the ref.

Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    There would maybe be a better relationship between fans and officials if they explained their decisions sometimes instead of hiding in silence which makes them appear arrogant and aloof to supporters. Someone mentioned the whistle blower website which gave them a chance to do so which lasted a few weeks before being totally abandoned. They don't do much to help themselves.
    Totally agree. Respect is earned not a right.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It's an interesting point. I played amateur for 15 years and have watched hundreds of matches and there are still rules that catch me by surprise.

The throw in one was a good one last night. Logan will have been a bit rattled after his mistake and I think he might have been caught on the hop a bit with their long throw. Counter-intuitive as it is, Logan would be best to let the ball go in if nobody's touched it and he could get himself into a world of trouble by touching it on the way, fumbling it or letting it bounce off the frame of the goal to another player. Easy to criticise the keeper but it was a fairly unique situation regarding the rules and I think Logan will have been caught out a bit where instinct tells you to do one thing but you kind of know to do something else?

There are obvious and fundamental ones that managers and pundits manage to get wrong regularly though so what chance do most punters have?

How often have we had a debate re whether or not a player was the "last man"? Doesn't matter, was it a clear goalscoring opportunity?

Did he get the ball? Doesn't bloody matter, was there excessive force or recklessness involved?

Was it ball to hand or hand to ball? Doesn't bloody matter, if his hand is in that position then……

etc etc
    The problem in letting in bounce would of course be if it then hit the bar or post and it bounced out in front of the goal.

Fella behind me taking about offside. I mentioned that you can't be offside from a goal kick.

He's a nice bloke though and wasn't shouting at the ref or anything but just thought I should mention it.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Refs are only human.

We all know humans who are bigots.

We all know humans who think they are never wrong.

We all know humans who are incompetent at their job.

We all know humans who lie.

We all know humans who cheat.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyScott View Post
    Is this a new addition to the rules? I'm in the same boat as Alex previously where I was always under the impression that there is offside from a goal kick! Certainly I've been caught offside from a goal kick plenty of times in FIFA
    Nope not a new rule, not sure how long its been a rule but a few years anyway

Many football fans are not experts in the laws of the game, and neither do they have to be. That's the officials' job. To get things right.

Last night was so bad it could result in Hibs spending a third season in the Championship. No wonder fans have a go at them, even when they are in the wrong sometimes.

Can any of the referees tell me if it's now a rule that players receive treatment on the field without any time added on for stoppages? Recently noticed that refs regularly add 3 or 4 minutes when there has been 6 subs and a few goals while often 5 or 6 minutes have been "wasted" with on-field treatment.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    A good point however the refs are governed by the SFA so that is where the problem lies.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    I also thought that during televised games they had to have signal injury time with the board?

Don't care, get on their back over decisions at home and they'll give us borderline calls. It's human nature.

Why do linesmen always look at the referee to see which way they should give a throw in?

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Why do linesmen always look at the referee to see which way they should give a throw in?
    Because the refs tell them to do so, they dont want one pointing one way and one the other, it would make them look less than competent if that were indeed possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Because the refs tell them to do so, they dont want one pointing one way and one the other, it would make them look less than competent if that were indeed possible.
    In the old daysa referee wouldn't have attempted to give the throw in he'd have left it to the linesman.Tubby Wharton seldom left the centre circle.

I've said for a while now that I think referees and officials need to be accountable for their actions especially big game changing decisions. They make huge decisions which determine the way of the game then get to sneak off. I would love to hear what Muirs explanation for not giving the pen yesterday. He had a clear as day view, looking straight at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It's an interesting point. I played amateur for 15 years and have watched hundreds of matches and there are still rules that catch me by surprise. The throw in one was a good one last night. Logan will have been a bit rattled after his mistake and I think he might have been caught on the hop a bit with their long throw. Counter-intuitive as it is, Logan would be best to let the ball go in if nobody's touched it and he could get himself into a world of trouble by touching it on the way, fumbling it or letting it bounce off the frame of the goal to another player. Easy to criticise the keeper but it was a fairly unique situation regarding the rules and I think Logan will have been caught out a bit where instinct tells you to do one thing but you kind of know to do something else? There are obvious and fundamental ones that managers and pundits manage to get wrong regularly though so what chance do most punters have? How often have we had a debate re whether or not a player was the "last man"? Doesn't matter, was it a clear goalscoring opportunity? Did he get the ball? Doesn't bloody matter, was there excessive force or recklessness involved? Was it ball to hand or hand to ball? Doesn't bloody matter, if his hand is in that position then…… etc etc
    I reckon last night if the long throw went in the net without touching anyone it would've been seen as a legitimate goal. That's how gash the referee was last night

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy1875 View Post
    I reckon last night if the long throw went in the net without touching anyone it would've been seen as a legitimate goal. That's how gash the referee was last night
    The ref was pretty damn awful last night, but I think that even he isn't enough of a dimwit that he would have given a goal direct from the throw if it had gone in.

Out of interest, I have a question for those members of this forum who are refs, if a ball ends up in the net direct from a throw with no other player touching it, what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91 View Post
    The ref was pretty damn awful last night, but I think that even he isn't enough of a dimwit that he would have given a goal direct from the throw if it had gone in.

Out of interest, I have a question for those members of this forum who are refs, if a ball ends up in the net direct from a throw with no other player touching it, what happens?
    Goal kick.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    I also thought that during televised games they had to have signal injury time with the board?
    They did last night and also in both games against Raith

Bye Kick (and not a ref).

One for the refs. Can't be offside from a bye kick so he's still beyond last defender from phase one and gets played through by an attacking header. Presumably offside then because of the second touch from a team mate but would be deemed onside if a defender heads it badly backwards?

Goal kick.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

I think you have a very good point. Save the abuse for when they actually have made a bad decision.

Having said all that my Dad goes to the football for two reasons. One to hopefully see Hibs win, and two to have a good shout at the ref. Ive had many an argument with him about his green tinted spectacles clouding his judgement on refereeing decisions.

Last night its safe to say I was joining in with him though.

First Team Breakthrough
    Could've sworn Leigh was offside at every opposition goal kick......, and waved offside for it!

I didn't know the rule and it explains a lot. Many players are definitely straying offside when they're taken.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Can any of the referees tell me if it's now a rule that players receive treatment on the field without any time added on for stoppages? Recently noticed that refs regularly add 3 or 4 minutes when there has been 6 subs and a few goals while often 5 or 6 minutes have been "wasted" with on-field treatment.
    30 Seconds should be added on for every sub made and usually it should be the same amount added on to cover the celebrations of each goal. For on-field treatment the ref/4th official should be keeping track of how long the physio has been on the pitch untill he leaves and that time should also be added on to the 30 seconds per sub and 30 seconds per goal/celebration