hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ivan Sproule retiring from football

I heard this morning that Ivan has announced he will retire after the last NI League match this saturday.

Just thought you might like to send him your best wishes and good luck on his retirement.

Here is the statement from Linfield FC

Best wishes to Ivan Sproule for his forthcoming retirement
    Posted : 29th April 2016 at 10:47:25

Best wishes are extended to Ivan Sproule from all of his many friends at Windsor Park.

35 year old Ivan has announced his intention to retire from the game after tomorrow's crucially important game for Ballinamallard away to Carrick Rangers.

Ivan signed for Linfield on December 16, 2013 until the end of the 2014/15 season.

He made his Linfield debut as a half-time sub in a dramatic, late comeback 3-2 away win against Warrenpoint on Saturday, January 4, 2014.

He scored his first Linfield goal in a 6-0 home win against Ballinamallard United on February 15, 2014 - the day the then Linfield manager David Jeffrey announced his intention to step down from his post at the end of that season.

He won a County Antrim Shield winners medal in March 2014.

Ivan signed a one year contract extension with Linfield on June 18, 2015 but signed on loan for Ballinamallard United on January 5, 2016 until the end of the current season.

He will perhaps be best remembered for his late winner in the Boxing Day 'Big Two' Derby game in 2014 when he received a second yellow card for his goal celebration at the Kop end of Windsor Park.

His final Linfield goal was the winner in a 1-0 win at Dungannon on October 31, 2015 and his final Linfield appearance was as a sub in a 2-0 defeat away to Portadown on November 28, 2015.

His full statistical record with Linfield is as follows

2013/14 - 11 appearances (2 as sub) - 1 goal

2014/15 - 31 appearances (4 as sub) - 5 goals

2015/16 - 20 appearances (10 as sub) - 3 goals

Total - 62 appearances (16 as sub) - 9 goals
    Last edited by Stantons Angel; 29-04-2016 at 11:44 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    My personal favourite 'cult hero' in a Hibs jersey. All the best to him for the future
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    All the best Ivan!

Number 1 is Ivan Sproule.....
    One of my all time favourite players. Good luck to him for the future.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Class act, both on and off the pitch.

Thanks for the memories and goals, Ivan. Your hattrick at Ibrox will be never be forgotten and all the best to you

He is my favourite Hibs player of all time.

I loved watching him play for us.

All the best to him in whatever he chooses to do in the next stage of his life.

Ivan at Ibrox Sproule, a contender for Hibs best buy of the last 30 years. Good luck to the wee man.

The very best of luck in your retirement Ivan ....... a star on and off the pitch. Sometimes I didn't know what you were doing, sometimes you didn't know what you were doing:

But when you did it right it was wonderful

When he first came I used to love watching him chase people down and he caught a few people out with his speed. Anyone who decks Rudi Skacel is alright in my book.

Good luck Ivan.

Just for stomping on that Hearts c*** in the semi, I salute you.
    All the best wee man, love always.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Any chance of our five grand back, Ivan?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

First Team Regular Billy McKirdy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: N?A Wii Code: N?A
    To go from the level he came from to join us at the relatively late age of 24 (?) to carve out a career which included his time with us, that hat trick (how can you top that) to playing in Europe, playing at a decent level down south for a good number of years, and more regular top flight football in Scotland and Northern Ireland plus that game at Windsor Park for his country against England had the whole of Ulster falling in love with Sproule.
    A great career for a top guy.
    Hope you stay in the game in some capacity Ivan.
    Thanks for everything.

First Team Breakthrough Frank Moon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madabouthibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just for stomping on that Hearts c*** in the semi, I salute you.
    All the best wee man, love always.
    Eh no! That was a let down when already didn't have Riordon and Brown. He let us down that day. But liked him.

Hibs legend, wish him well and hope to see him in a testimonial, great memories, so fast

The guy gave us some memorable moments.
    Will never forget that hat-trick at Ibrox - one of my best football days out ever.

A rare player who made most of his talents and opportunities and who truly loved playing for the Hibs. So many great memories.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Loved watching him play.
    Not many players can generate instant excitement.
    Ivan could and did. Worth the entry money alone
    Aw ra best for the future, pal.
    Legend.
    Last edited by snooky; 30-04-2016 at 02:09 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Love you Ivan, hibs legend 💚

Ivan was one of my favorite Hibs players of all time, He wasn't the biggest, the strongest or the most skillful. He may have been the fastest but it was his enthusiasm and willingness to give all he had for Hibs. For someone who grew up as a Rangers supporter, that says it all.

His hat trick at Ibrox off the bench when his friends and family were in the home end obviously stands out. His goal at Ibrox in the 3-0 win also is worthy of mention. Finally his goal that helped secure Hibs a very rare win at Celtic Park should not be forgotten.

My most vivid memories of Ivan are him wearing a leprechaun hat at Hampden after the 5-1 win over Killie.

Ivan is a true Hibs legend as he way overperformed his level of ability in Green and White.

Coaching Staff
    Thanks Ivan, especially for making my trip home from Australia in 2005 so memorable.

I s till see myself on the video at Ibrox among the other 900 Hibbies celebrating your three unforgettable goals.

Never, ever forget it.

First Team Breakthrough
    Come back Ivan, all the best

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    My favourite Hibs player, fast, exciting and a genuinely good guy who loved our club. I even went out my way to sign him on every FIFA career mode I've played, letting him bag a hat trick in the champions league final for Barcelona.

All the best Ivan, enjoy your retirement.

@hibs.net private member
    Hero

I was in a pub in Spain watching sky sports when the score line kept coming through with Ivan's hat trick against that mob, that moment is frozen in time for me, what a night that was.
    A great player, a great guy, thanks for all the memories and good luck on whichever path you choose.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Can only echo what's already been said. Great player. Enjoy your retirement and wish you all the best in whatever you do after football

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any chance of our five grand back, Ivan?

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    I had a season ticket in the old east for the duration of his first stay with us. No matter what the score was, when Ivan came on the atmosphere changed and the hope and excitement was palpable. As another has said, when he got the ball, nobody knew what would happen next. More than half the time it would lead to nothing, but I don't remember him ever getting stick from the stands. Not the most skillful, not the most gifted, but easily the most heart of any player I've ever seen wear the green. Still my favourite hibs player, and I still dream of a team of Ivan Sproule's.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Used to love when he got the ball, the whole ground was up on its feel as you didn't know what was coming next. Fantastic guy, did brilliant for us and as op have said' that day at ibrox will live on for ever. All the best Ivan' hope to see you back at Easter road in the near future :)

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    all the best Ivan, a long with many others it seems he was one of my all time favourite players. he would start running with the ball at the edge of our own penalty box and you'd be off your seat expecting something, can't think of many players that have brought that level of excitement! hopefully see him taking in a few games at ER soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk