hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Testimonial Due

Joshua v Brazeale

So Anthony Joshua will make his first title defence against.....Dominic Brazeale - aka another unknown bum. Oh and it will cost £17 to watch AJ sparkle this bum within 2 rounds. Hopefully there's not too many of these type of fights before he steps in with a proper opponent.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    For his first defence it was always going to be an easier fight, happens all the time, the big issue is the lack of decent heavyweights around just now, apart from the top 4 or 5 guys the standard isnt great(still wouldnt want a hit from one of them)

Testimonial Due
    Yeah all the top fighters in the division have other fights lined up at the moment also. It's just a bit annoying how they're charging £17 to see Joshua knock someone out in a matter of minutes. I guess it'll be this way for the foreseeable future with AJ. Really can't wait to see him in a 50/50 fight, although I've got a feeling that won't be until next year now.

Don't pay it then...

It was probably the best of what was available for the June date really, talks are apparently ongoing for the Fury fight towards the end of this year regardless of what happens in Manchester on the 9th of July so fingers crossed on that. It's a bit of a cheek going down the PPV route for this, Hearn is going to have to build a stellar undercard for it to be charging £17 and Groves v Murray is a good starting point.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't pay it then...
    Very good.

The point is that it shouldn't be on PPV in the first place. That should be reserved for the much bigger fights, for example if they got him in with another champion or the likes of David Haye, not just some unknown bum from overseas.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Looking forward to this at the weekend, not so much the main event but the undercard of Groves V Murray and Eubank Jnr V Doran should be good fights, see Chris Eubank Snr was running his mouth off at the press conference slating Dave Coldwell and Conor Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Looking forward to this at the weekend, not so much the main event but the undercard of Groves V Murray and Eubank Jnr V Doran should be good fights, see Chris Eubank Snr was running his mouth off at the press conference slating Dave Coldwell and Conor Benn
    I saw Benn in Glasgow at the Burns fight and he was still very, very raw. No need for Eubank to be getting involved with him as he's miles away from Juniors level at the moment.

Anyway if Groves can find his form he should beat Murray, Eubank will win and I can see another relatively quick night for Joshua.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I saw Benn in Glasgow at the Burns fight and he was still very, very raw. No need for Eubank to be getting involved with him as he's miles away from Juniors level at the moment.

Anyway if Groves can find his form he should beat Murray, Eubank will win and I can see another relatively quick night for Joshua.
    I agree with everything you say on this one, depends on which Groves turns up

Testimonial Due
    Brazeale is talking a good game but I'll be sticking a decent amount on a Joshua ko in rounds 1-3. Only 50/50 fight on the card is Groves v Murray so really that should be the main event but it's the Anthony Joshua show these days, no matter which bum they put him up against. Eddie Hearn has done a great job of hyping him up. Wake me up when he fights someone decent.

Joshua early for me again,eubank and Benn will both win

Eubank snr is a walloper

Fancy murray to upset groves or should say I hope he does don't have much time for groves

Also saw earlier that liam smith will defend his light middleweight title vs canelo later in the year huge fight for him fair play to frank Warren for getting him it

Testimonial Due
    That is a huge fight for him and an interesting one as well. Think it will end much the same way as Khan v Canelo but I'm still looking forward to it. Although Canelo really needs to stop pissing about and fight GGG. Fans are turning on him because he keeps avoiding it, don't want a repeat of the Mayweather Pacquiou situation when they fight 5 years too late.

Breazeale is terrible .. AJ inside 2. Really poor card on Saturday if I'm being honest . Groves Murray should be a decent fight tho but that's it

Wish joshua would finally fight someone decent

Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    That is a huge fight for him and an interesting one as well. Think it will end much the same way as Khan v Canelo but I'm still looking forward to it. Although Canelo really needs to stop pissing about and fight GGG. Fans are turning on him because he keeps avoiding it, don't want a repeat of the Mayweather Pacquiou situation when they fight 5 years too late.
    Yeah I get waiting for the right moment to make the most money

But that's really the biggest fight out there for both of them they are certainly the biggest names lower down the weights at the moment

Suppose that's the politics of boxing same with kell brook either doesn't want to fight a big name or the rest are running
    scared of him

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    Yeah I get waiting for the right moment to make the most money

But that's really the biggest fight out there for both of them they are certainly the biggest names lower down the weights at the moment

Suppose that's the politics of boxing same with kell brook either doesn't want to fight a big name or the rest are running
    scared of him
    After the Khan fight, Canelo and De La Hoya were running their mouths about the GGG fight saying they weren't scared and that GGG's team should expect a call on Monday. A few weeks later he vacates the WBC belt so that he doesn't need to fight GGG. Now he picks another fight which in theory should be an easy nights work for him, albeit for a world title. Not to mention his persistence of fighting at a catchweight of 155 in all his middleweight fights. At this time I think GGG beats him easily and he knows this.

Testimonial Due
    Eubank Jr is an animal. Think GGG will be a step too far for him at this stage though.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Groves outclassing Murray by a long way.

@hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar
    I missed the Eubank fight. How did he perform?

Caught the last 4 rounds of Murray/Groves and Groves appeared to dominate.

Nice touch with the ten bell memorial for The Greatest.

Joshua in with another bum, he's survived the 2nd round but its not going to last much longer.

Maybe a bit more durable that i first thought, he certainly has taken a few good punches. Joshua will win, its just a case of when.

Over and out, the guy took some very good punches but never laid a glove on Joshua. A good workout for him though and another step up the ladder needed now.

Testimonial Due
    Brazeale had a decent chin but didn't really offer anything back. A good fight in that it wasn't over in 2 seconds but there was only ever going to be one winner.

We're at the point now where Joshua really needs to fight the top opposition, being a 'world champion' and all. Too many more fights like this won't do him any good.

There was a real lack of variety in Joshuas shots which could see him come undone against the top guys in the division.

Eubank Jr keeps impressing me, granted against opposition that's nowhere near the league he's in but none the less if he gets the GGG fight that'll be a great scrap.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    There was a real lack of variety in Joshuas shots which could see him come undone against the top guys in the division.

Eubank Jr keeps impressing me, granted against opposition that's nowhere near the league he's in but none the less if he gets the GGG fight that'll be a great scrap.
    Normally I would agree, but who are the top guys in the heavyweight division.. If I was Joshua I would avoid a fight with someone like David Haye at this stage. Hayyes fast hands would cause problems for a relatively inexperienced fighter like Joshua.

United we stand here....

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Normally I would agree, but who are the top guys in the heavyweight division.. If I was Joshua I would avoid a fight with someone like David Haye at this stage. Hayyes fast hands would cause problems for a relatively inexperienced fighter like Joshua.
    Joshua is supposed to be a world champion though. He's not really in a position to be dodging fights against guys who might be perceived as better than him (Although one look at Kell Brook would suggest otherwise!)

Fwiw I think he'll fight Joseph Parker from New Zealand next, probably around October time. A decent fighter by all accounts but should be another win for Joshua. After that he really needs to take the big step. By that time we'll know the winner of Fury v Klitschko 2 and they'll probably fight Deontay Wilder, early next year. There's potential for a Joshua v Haye fight around the same time with the winner facing Wilder, Fury or Klitschko. Very exciting times in the HW division. If Joshua were to come out on top of that then we have someone special on our hands.

Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    After the Khan fight, Canelo and De La Hoya were running their mouths about the GGG fight saying they weren't scared and that GGG's team should expect a call on Monday. A few weeks later he vacates the WBC belt so that he doesn't need to fight GGG. Now he picks another fight which in theory should be an easy nights work for him, albeit for a world title. Not to mention his persistence of fighting at a catchweight of 155 in all his middleweight fights. At this time I think GGG beats him easily and he knows this.
    Yeah I agree with you
    Don't think eubank will beat GGG either

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    There seems to a be a few Heavyweights at more or less the same level, none of them really proved themselves the real stand out (Klitschco excepted). Either up and coming, on the way down like Klitschco and possibly Haye (nobody knows what he's really capable off these days) and the complete loose cannon that's Fury. I'd love to see a Super Six type arrangement over the next couple of years with them, Wilder, Parker etc and if of AJ wins that, he could very well dominate for a good while.

I find it strange that fury is supposed to be injured but is partying at the euros

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    I find it strange that fury is supposed to be injured but is partying at the euros
    Depends on the type of injury he's got I suppose? What did he claim it was?